• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Orca or Killer Whale?

Which name do you like better?

• Orca

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Killer Whale

Votes: 17 36.2%

• Total voters
I like the sound of Orca more than Killer Whale.
But I use Killer Whale. It makes so much more sense when watching George Carlin.

Doesn't Orcinus Orca mean Whale from Hell though? It doesn't really make that much difference.

Tbh for ages I thought Orcas and Killer Whales were different animals. Then I got older.

Uh hello, they're carnivores. Go sit in a Killer Whale's mouth and tell me they aren't killers.

Killer, at least to me, just sounds like they are a vicious animal, which they aren't. Some animals eat other animals, it doesn't make them a killer. Put a dead cow fried up into a patty in front of me and I'll eat it, but I don't think of myself as a killet.

Killer, at least to me, just sounds like they are a vicious animal, which they aren't. Some animals eat other animals, it doesn't make them a killer. Put a dead cow fried up into a patty in front of me and I'll eat it, but I don't think of myself as a killer.

Dictionary.com said:
killer–noun
1. a person or thing that kills.
2. killer whale.

3. a device used by a post office for printing cancellations on postage stamps.

How is something that kills something else not a killer? Carnivores kill other animals for food. Besides, they are vicious. You can't escape the fact that they are killers. Call it want you want, but they're still intelligent animals that hunt in packs and eat baby seals.

How is something that kills something else not a killer? Carnivores kill other animals for food. Besides, they are vicious. You can't escape the fact that they are killers. Call it want you want, but they're still intelligent animals that hunt in packs and eat baby seals.
I think what he means is killing because of a violent nature, not killing to eat. I mean, we don't call ladybugs killer beetles and they do eat aphids. Or something.

Anyway, I'm not so hung up on the 'killer' tag because most things kill. I've even seen horses do it. I just don't like the name because they aren't whales and it bothers me.

I think what he means is killing because of a violent nature, not killing to eat. I mean, we don't call ladybugs killer beetles and they do eat aphids. Or something.

That's what I meant, I just fail at wording when it's one in the morning.

How would two words obviously deriving from the same root be able to mean two totally unrelated things?

*shrugs* It's something to do with kill. Or maybe my source was wrong.

Orca comes from the scientific name, Orcinus Orca, which is usually translated as 'demon of the underworld', or something like that. A more literate translation is, 'of or belonging to the kingdom of the dead'.
Okay that one is more likely.

Back
Top Bottom