The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Anime-Style Battling

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 09:11 PM
oh man, good times.

Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Challenge Board

While we wait for the rest of tcod to come around to our lord and savior cheep cheep, a quick challenge for SS with a shamelessly stolen arena!

Format: 1v1
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Chill, Protect/Detect
Arena: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:12 PM
A chickadee in love with the sky

Sandstone-Shadow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eifie View Post
While we wait for the rest of tcod to come around to our lord and savior cheep cheep, a quick challenge for SS with a shamelessly stolen arena!

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a Pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, Pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.
I accept!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:02 AM
Captain Husbando

Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road

I have...never made a ASB challenge...

Format: 2&2 vs 2&2! Team doubles!
Style: Switch?
DQ: Two weeks sounds good, yeah
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves
Arena Description: Amity Square

Amity Square has, miracle of miracles, done two very special things: expanded their list of Pokémon deemed cute enough to enter (read as: all base-stage mons~) and, for one night only, allowed Tiny Pokémon Battles! They may regret this, but hey, how destructive could a bunch of tiny Pokémon be?! (Don't answer that please.)

The arena, for the most part, is pretty open, with the exception of a few huts for Pokémon to hide in.
Additional Rules: Only baby/base stage Pokémon, please! Amity Square can only handle Tiny Pokémon Battles...
Old 12-27-2017, 01:11 AM
sobble squad

Pronoun: he
I liek Squirtles is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to I liek Squirtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstone-Shadow View Post
I accept!
I will ref this! thread in a bit...

I will also take part in Flora's battle!

~*tumblr~

Haikus

ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha

I'm good at haiku.
I might even say decent.
and...that's all I've got. -Superbird

Old 12-27-2017, 06:54 AM
busy dizzy lazy

Negrek is on a distinguished road

I'll also join Flora's battle!

Thousand Roads forums, a community for Pokemon fanfiction fans. Join us for fanfic discussions, contests, or simply to post your story and get feedback.
Or come hang out on our Discord if you prefer real-time chat!
Old 12-27-2017, 08:48 PM
sandslash sandpan

Pronoun: they / them
sanderidge is an unknown quantity at this point

ooh, i'd also like to join the flora battle!

sandshrewnoibatsandshrew-alola
Old 12-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
I have...never made a ASB challenge...

Format: 2&2 vs 2&2! Team doubles!
Style: Switch?
DQ: Two weeks sounds good, yeah
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKO moves
Arena Description: Amity Square

Amity Square has, miracle of miracles, done two very special things: expanded their list of Pokémon deemed cute enough to enter (read as: all base-stage mons~) and, for one night only, allowed Tiny Pokémon Battles! They may regret this, but hey, how destructive could a bunch of tiny Pokémon be?! (Don't answer that please.)

The arena, for the most part, is pretty open, with the exception of a few huts for Pokémon to hide in.
Additional Rules: Only baby/base stage Pokémon, please! Amity Square can only handle Tiny Pokémon Battles...
I'll ref this!

We've got Flora, ILS, Negrek, and sanderidge, right? What team pairs would you like?

edit: omg is this 2&2 vs 2&2 like... eight pokemon out on the field?

I picked this because I wanted practice, might as well jump off into the deep end hahahahaha
Old 12-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Captain Husbando

Quote:
I'll ref this!

We've got Flora, ILS, Negrek, and sanderidge, right? What team pairs would you like?

edit: omg is this 2&2 vs 2&2 like... eight pokemon out on the field?

I picked this because I wanted practice, might as well jump off into the deep end hahahahaha
OH GOD NO I wasn't sure how to word it! each trainer only has one out at a time!

oh right team matchups. I'm fine with any/all!
Old 12-28-2017, 12:46 AM
sandslash sandpan

Quote:
I'll ref this!

same @ flora re: team matchups! i think it would be okay if you randomized who we're with.

(also, this is allowing base-stage pokemon like sandshrew, right. or should i stick with the Actual Baby Pokemon)

Old 12-28-2017, 01:21 AM
Captain Husbando

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderidge View Post
same @ flora re: team matchups! i think it would be okay if you randomized who we're with.

(also, this is allowing base-stage pokemon like sandshrew, right. or should i stick with the Actual Baby Pokemon)
it allows base-stage, yeah! think little cup in stadium 2!
Old 12-28-2017, 01:31 AM
sobble squad

I'm fine with any teams, too!

~*tumblr~

Haikus

ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha

I'm good at haiku.
I might even say decent.
and...that's all I've got. -Superbird

Old 12-28-2017, 04:50 PM
busy dizzy lazy

Negrek is on a distinguished road

Sure, go ahead and randomize them.

In which an undead trainer, a bloodthirsty super-clone, and an irascible ex-Rocket grunt set out to rescue an imprisoned Mew--if they don't end up murdering each other first.

Banner by Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric Design

Old 12-28-2017, 05:09 PM
oh man, good times.

I would like to make the extremely stupid decision to ref a battle, but there is literally nothing for me to ref. What is wrong with you people >:( Can someone make a 1v1 challenge please and thanks. I will ref it! Note that I have not done any non-technical writing for a long time, so expect truly terrible writing (or I could write your battle in the form of a research paper).

"idk, I'm bad at puns" -Keldeo, inexorable pundit of puns and wordplay
Old 12-28-2017, 05:19 PM
sobble squad

I will abuse the fact I am now a Ref (tm) and use my new spot, hehe! Open challenge!

Notes: the stadium is packed to capacity for a League Championship!! >:0

~*tumblr~

Haikus

これは俳句ではありません。
私は日本語が話せません。
翻訳機を使っていますか?-VM

Old 12-28-2017, 06:24 PM
sandslash sandpan

i'll take this!! off we go!

Old 12-28-2017, 06:25 PM
oh man, good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I liek Squirtles View Post
I will abuse the fact I am now a Ref (tm) and use my new spot, hehe! Open challenge!

Notes: the stadium is packed to capacity for a League Championship!! >:0
Quote:
i'll take this!! off we go!
All right, thread up shortly!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM
sandslash sandpan

apparently, tournament battles don't count in the battle count, so i'm going to do this!! i had this idea just now!!! please someone fight me in Twitter!!

Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs
Arena: Twitter Itself. (has this been done yet??)

somehow, you and your pokemon have gotten sucked into Twitter Itself! everyone is now a party sprite, standing in the middle of a vaguely cleared-out central hub where all the tweets are flying around to their destinations. the ground is flat and pokemon will be able to find their footing just fine, although they might be a little disoriented at all the tweets rushing about them.

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric terrain is happening for the entire duration of the battle.

because this is twitter, tweets other than trainers' commands are getting posted, and they're flying about everywhere! these tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, and all are certainly steady enough for a party sprite to ride on, provided they can jump onto one with trick room happening and all that. because this is social media, the tweets are also responsive to pokemon energy, and will be rallied if a pokemon needs to summon something for a move - you could totally have a surf of tweets, or a rock throw, or whatever. there's no way to change the weather, though.

every round, there's a chance that a tweet will do something! a tweet first has to make contact with a pokemon, though, and this frequency is left to the discretion of the ref because i have no real idea of how large or small chances are.
all tweet contact chance/effects will happen at the end of the round, because this is when i think pokemon are paying the least attention. upon contact, tweets can divulge their message to the pokemon. this message can be any sound-based move. these moves are not affected by the damage cap, because this is twitter and the moves do damage to your soul itself - i mean, to your energy instead! so pokemon will have to be careful about that.

trainers can also (and do) write tweets to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. the trainer that commands second in the round will post this tweet-restriction (also in the form of a tweet!!!) before the other trainer commands for that round.
if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
we fight in Twitter Itself.
electric terrain is happening.
trick room is happening.
no weather changes. (clear weather throughout.)
your command flavor has to be 140 characters or less (your command string doesn't count towards this).
tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, but are much sturdier and can definitely hold a pokemon.
tweets are flying around everywhere and can crash into a pokemon.
crashing can happen at the end of each round.
upon crash, your pokemon is hit by one randomized sound move.
if the move is damaging, it does that percent of damage to your pokemon's energy, not hp.
every round before commands are posted, the trainer that will command second posts a flavor restriction on commands for that round.
if you don't write your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

(hello now i am nervous that i did this wrong. please tell me if i need to fix things. thank you)

Last edited by sanderidge; 12-29-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: changes!! magnet rise -> electric terrain, taking an action to tweet -> the person commanding second TWEETS A RESTRICT
Old 12-29-2017, 09:32 AM
oh man, good times.

Quote:
apparently, tournament battles don't count in the battle count, so i'm going to do this!! i had this idea just now!!! please someone fight me in Twitter!!

somehow, you and your pokemon have gotten sucked into Twitter Itself! everyone is now a party sprite, standing in the middle of a vaguely cleared-out central hub where all the tweets are flying around to their destinations. the ground is flat and pokemon will be able to find their footing just fine, although they might be a little disoriented at all the tweets rushing about them.

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric-types are all under the effects of magnet rise for the entire duration of the battle.

because this is twitter, tweets other than trainers' commands are getting posted, and they're flying about everywhere! these tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, and all are certainly steady enough for a party sprite to ride on, provided they can jump onto one with trick room happening and all that. because this is social media, the tweets are also responsive to pokemon energy, and will be rallied if a pokemon needs to summon something for a move - you could totally have a surf of tweets, or a rock throw, or whatever. there's no way to change the weather, though.

every round, there's a chance that a tweet will do something! a tweet first has to make contact with a pokemon, though, and this frequency is left to the discretion of the ref because i have no real idea of how large or small chances are.
all tweet contact chance/effects will happen at the end of the round, because this is when i think pokemon are paying the least attention. upon contact, tweets can divulge their message to the pokemon. this message can be any sound-based move. these moves are not affected by the damage cap, because this is twitter and the moves do damage to your soul itself - i mean, to your energy instead! so pokemon will have to be careful about that.

pokemon can also spend an action to write a tweet to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
electric pokemon are floating.
trick room is happening.
your command flavor has to be 140 characters or less (your command string doesn't count towards this).
tweets are shaped like paper airplanes, but are much sturdier and can definitely hold a pokemon.
if the move is damaging, it does that percent of damage to your pokemon's energy, not hp.
your pokemon can write a tweet to the other trainer that forces their command flavor to change. this takes one action but really this is the only fun part.
if you don't change your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

(hello now i am nervous that i did this wrong. please tell me if i need to fix things. thank you)
I have been engaged in a fierce internal struggle for the past several minutes but I cannot say no to this. (Technically I don't have room for this because of two old dead battles, but I will assume they don't count? One of them is in the process of being closed, anyway.)

I have a suggestion :O What if, instead of the taking an action to write a tweet thing: at the beginning of each round the trainer who is commanding first picks a restriction on the flavour, and both trainers have to follow it for that round. I think this would ensure maximum hilarity.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:

this is an old version of twitter, so every post the trainers make will have to fit the old character limit of 140 characters (excluding the actual command string, because Twitter Itself understands those things). because twitter is not a functional platform, trick room is in play for the entire duration of this battle, and because twitter is an electronic platform electric-types are all under the effects of magnet rise for the entire duration of the battle.

pokemon can also spend an action to write a tweet to the opposing trainer, which will allow them to limit the trainer's next commands in a strictly flavorish way; they may not expressly forbid specific moves or move types, but they can specify that the commands have to, like, rhyme or something. if the trainer does not comply with the tweet, they will be attacked by a flood of negatively minded suburban soccer moms' opinions, and their pokemon will have a hard time understanding their next commands - again, at a chance set at the discretion of the ref, which should be a chance high enough to be amusing but low enough to not be frustrating. when pokemon are confused by a tweet, they'll just stand around looking confused, and probably get hit by a tweet if it's the end of the round.

tl;dr
electric pokemon are floating.
trick room is happening.
your pokemon can write a tweet to the other trainer that forces their command flavor to change. this takes one action but really this is the only fun part.
if you don't change your command flavor to fit, your pokemon's actions on the next round each have a small failure chance.

I want to ref this. Because this is amazing.

You two figure out your details and potential changes and stuff and let me know when you're ready! I'll get a thread up.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:02 AM
Sleep Deprived

Pronoun: any
Cynder is an unknown quantity at this point

Format: 2v2 Singles
Style: Set
DQ: 2 weeks
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, Direct Healing, Burn Up
Arena Description: Volcanic Slope
This Battle takes place on the side of a volcano. It's dormant and doesn't do anything to the battle (at least at first), but it's thematically appropriate. Just don't use earthquake too frequently.
Additional Rules: Unevolved Fire-Types only. Abilities that would grant immunity to Fire Moves do not, but their other effects remain unchanged (Flash Fire still boosts the power of Fire moves).

ralts
ASB

Last edited by Cynder; 01-03-2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Forgot something