• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

It is better for ten guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly convicted

Pick the combination that fits best with your views:

• I AGREE with the title and SUPPORT the death penalty.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I AGREE with the title and OPPOSE the death penalty.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • I DISAGREE with the title and SUPPORT the death penalty.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • I DISAGREE with the title and OPPOSE the death penalty.

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters
They can have bigoted beliefs (or else where would you draw the line with what's considered bigoted?), but nobody should be allowed to preach hate. This is why people look down upon bullying et al.

Eh. Preaching hate is a truly scummy thing to do and anyone who does should publicly be called an idiot (see: The WBC), but you're allowed to do it.

Practicing hate (actually denying someone something based on their race/gender/sexual orientation/(dis)ability/etc.) on the other hand, is a big no-no.

I believe that the risk in letting ten guilty men go free far outweighs the benefits of one man escaping jail. I know our judicial system is flawed (I'm in America, BTW), but isn't everything? People are bound to be wrongly convicted at times, due to the subjective (or objective, whichever one is not impartial) nature of our jury. No matter how much we try, it's going to happen at some point. Ten guilty men going free, depending on the nature of their crimes, however, could cause serious problems for those around them. For the purpose of this argument, we'll assume all ten men have committed serious crimes rather than petty crimes such as shoplifting. A murderer could murder other people. A bank robber could cause economic downfall. A rapist could ruin the lives of more girls.
I do oppose the death penalty on the grounds of being inhumane. What do we accomplish if we kill a murderer? In my opinion, we have merely sunk to his level. No death we can provide will be painless, and the convict will never get a chance to change his character. "An eye for an eye" just hurts more people than necessary.

Hmm, I still think that if someone kills someone else they should suffer. Though, I think death is going a bit too far :/

Honestly, I think it depends on what the ten guilty men did. Murder someone? Rob a bank? Jaywalk? I oppose the death penalty. Although right in theory, in modern times it isn't necessary.

Agree with the title, oppose the death penalty.

On the subject of the death penalty, I shall quote another. "Why do we kill people who kill people to teach people not to kill people?" I does not make sense, and simply worsens the problem.

On account on the second, perhaps the guilty ought to be forced to endure a few restrictions. In any case, while I don't know about other countries, going to jail in the United States can put you in a better situation. In jail, you do not have to work. In jail, you are fed, clothed, and entertained with television.

Disagree with the title statement in certain circumstances. If it's something like theft or using marijuana, something that doesn't directly hurt someone else, then I agree with it, but it's a different story if it's something like murder or rape. Even if one innocent person's life is ruined, is that worth the chance of a serial rapist or murderer getting out and ruining or ending dozens more? Also remember that murder has a ripple effect. You not only hurt the victim, but their family and friends, too. And with rape, you have someone that is traumatized for the rest of their life. I'd much rather ten murderers get locked up at the cost of one innocent person, because the overall toll would be much less. Of course, this whole argument is a false dichotomy. It's not like one innocent person is arrested for every ten guilty ones. In some areas it can get up to 9%, but that's a problem with the regional justice system, not the country as a whole.

And what kind of choice is this? What is the question even suggesting? The justice system is going to fail on occasion, and there will be someone who is arrested who didn't do anything. There's nothing anyone can do about that except work to tighten the system as a whole.

For the purpose of this argument, we'll assume all ten men have committed serious crimes rather than petty crimes such as shoplifting.

Because it completely changes the game, that's why. In that case, it becomes an issue of one innocent versus many. If these men were not successfully rehabilitated (which is very likely in the American prison system), their chances of offending again is high. This means more innocent people are hurt.

As far as the death penalty itself, I'm conflicted. Yes, you have the chance of innocent people getting put to death and individual rights. But then you have a person like Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski, who was not only clearly guilty and freely admitted it, but also told interviewers with a completely straight face about his murders. He spent most of his life just killing people, whether because he was hired to kill them or if they just randomly pissed him off. You can read more about him at that Wikipedia page I posted. But the question is, what do you do with someone like this? Yes, he had a Freudian excuse because his parents were abusive and he had several mental disorders, but does that change the fact that possibly over 200 people died because of him? That he's so far gone that he'll never be fixed? What's interesting is that he was never sentenced the death penalty and eventually died in prison anyway, presumably from natural causes (though possibility that it was a mob member who was also in prison has never been eliminated)

This is kind of a hard issue for me. I do think there are people who do need an absolute removal from society, which can be done through life in prison. But you can't help but get a sick feeling from people like Kuklinski. A feeling like they need to pay for what they did, that who cares about their life in the face of the 200 they took away, that they need to be completely erased from the face of the earth. I admit that this is purely emotional, but it's the only thing that conflicts this issue for me. Rationally, I'm against the death penalty.

Maybe there could be some sort of compromise. Start them on a life sentence, and if it gets to the point that they no longer have the will to live in prison, offer them the death penalty.

On account on the second, perhaps the guilty ought to be forced to endure a few restrictions. In any case, while I don't know about other countries, going to jail in the United States can put you in a better situation. In jail, you do not have to work. In jail, you are fed, clothed, and entertained with television.

American jails aren't even close to being this fun, and the more max-security it is (which is where our life-sentence inmates would definitely be), the less fun it is. Even with television, it's mostly a hell of monotony and boredom, because you're stuffed in an area with a commons area and your own little room and have to stay there until your sentence ends. A number of jails barely even let you go outside or get any physical activity. And with the ridiculous jail population of the USA, these problems are even worse.

Last edited:
Because it completely changes the game, that's why. In that case, it becomes an issue of one innocent versus many. If these men were not successfully rehabilitated (which is very likely in the American prison system), their chances of offending again is high. This means more innocent people are hurt.

Yes, it does. But that's not the question I asked.

i think that its better to let some people live with what they have done. an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. rape should mean castration, murder should mean LIFE in prison. like they die in there. in New Zealand, people get murdered every day, and people may only have to spend 11 years in prison, where they learn to be more effective criminals, and then get let out and kill more people, take away more lives of people that would other-wise live and breath, and now the don't, while the one that took all that away gets to live.
i support the death penalty for people like clation weatherstion, who stabbed his girl friend over 200 times and when her mother walked into the room, he closed the door on her and kept on stabbing the girl friend. when i watched the trial on the news, he showed no remorse, and he lives and breathes when she will not.
i believe in karma, so i know something will happen to him for doing that to her, but nowadays, that is painfully common, small children die of neglect, woman are beaten to death almost weekly, in a world like this, would the death sentience really be that bad? (okay, i just sounded JUST like light from death Note.)

Yes, the death penalty is as bad. Obviously the way to remedy to the killing of people is to kill more people. Let us also completely disregard any circumstances surrounding a murder: direct ticket to life in jail.
Death sentience is pretty rad.

in New Zealand, people get murdered every day, and people may only have to spend 11 years in prison, where they learn to be more effective criminals, and then get let out and kill more people, take away more lives of people that would other-wise live and breath, and now the don't, while the one that took all that away gets to live.

In New Zealand, there were 45 homicides in 2007. That’s not “people getting murdered every day”. That’s less than one person in the whole country being murdered a week.

Leave NZ alone ):

Back
Top Bottom