• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snivy is a cool name :D
But Tepig, Oshawott and Unova are HORRIBLE and I will hate them for all of the seven minutes it will take for everyone to get used to them

I don't really mind any of them. Some of them caught me off guard for a while... particularly Oshawott because it just seemed... odd and foreign. But I can see sort of what it comes from. Osha sounds like ocean, the "w" could be from water, and the "ott" is otter. After saying it a bunch of times, I started to like the name. Tepig... I mostly don't like the way it looks, not the way it sounds, but I don't really hate it immensely. I'm cool with Snivy.

Unova sounds and looks cool. It is very pleasing to my eye and I'll get used to it fast. It sort of looks like USA to me, so it makes sense sort of that they changed the name. Isshu is... too Japanese-sounding for something that's supposed to be based on New York. At least, I think that's why I think they changed the name totally.

I think what bothers me the most about Unova is that it's different from Isshu. It's not a bad name, just a different one from what we're all used to.

I'm fine with the starter names, though. I look forward to gaining an Oshawott when I get White

Unova=Unum + Nova. One New. America=New World. Isshu=America(specifically New York). Makes sense now?

I think Oshawott is terrible, but Snivy and Tepig are pretty cool names. I like them. Too bad I'm still gonna name Snivy Smugleaf. Course, if I ever get another one, I'll name it its French name, Vipélierre. So badass.

I just hope they keep Zuruzukin the same (ur avvy reminded me).

Or at least don't call it something terrible like "Thuggard".

is it really? I kind of thought it was snake + ivy when I first saw it :/
Oh. That sounds more likely.

Actually, it's probably a bit of both. There's no way of knowing, so

...Tepig? Where did the "te" part come from? Oshawott sort of flows smoothly, so it's okay. Snivy makes me think of sniffle, for some reason. Am I the only person who thought "Slivy"? You know, sly+ivy, and the whole slimy thing snakes are supposed to be.

Also, how do you pronounce Tepig? Is it teh-pig or tee-pig?

...Tepig? Where did the "te" part come from?

Also, how do you pronounce Tepig? Is it teh-pig or tee-pig?

Tepid+pig. Tepid means "only slightly warm." You'd say it teh-pig, I think...
I liked Piglit so much better. :( That's what I'm gonna nickname mine now.

Unova is actually a pretty cool translation of Isshu.

I don't really like any of the starter names except for Snivy, but oh well.

I actually like the names. Snivy was already one guessed by the community and quite appropriate.

Oshawott seems reminiscent of ocean + wotter (water + otter), is a cute name and fun to say.

And now I can just imagine Tepig's line being "Tepig, Tehog, Teboar," the pig the hog and the boar Pokemon! xD

As for Isshu to Unova = it makes sense. They changed it to seem some what more American (United States of America, Unova! ... so calling USA that now), it puts the beloved 'o' sound we've all missed into the name, and like Isshu apparently comes from a word meaning all is one! or something, Unova does seem reminiscent of universe so it is a pretty good deal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom