• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White

Status
Not open for further replies.
me on another forum said:
Don't care one way or another about the English names as long as we have 'em; everyone always bitches and bitches for a few weeks straight about how "the Japanese ones were better" (hint: go look at what most of them actually translate to--they're really just as terrible, e.g. "chimp + char" vs. "little fire monkey"), then they forget and go wander off to look at something shiny. It's the same every single time, and I don't pay attention to it anymore. Get over it, you'll get used to it and before long completely forget that you ever even knew what the cool shiny exotic hard-to-pronounce foreign name was in the first place.

I will say that I am digging French "vipélierre" for snivy, though. (Meanwhile, I bet the French fans are all bitching about that name and whining about "waaah snivy sounds so cool and exotic and foreign, etc."!)

What I really need to know atm are minezumi and jalorda's English names, because I'm working on something involving at least those and it'd be nice to have the localizations sooner rather than later.

No need for me to say anything else.

So I was trying to figure out what Chaobuoo and Embuoo might be now that we know Tepig's name.

We can assume that since Tepid comes from tepid, the names will get gradually "hotter". (if not, then this is a major wtf moment for NoA)

But I can't think of any name that fits with pig/boar/hog + hot/warm/fiery/scorching or any synonym thereof.

What do you guys think?

So I was trying to figure out what Chaobuoo and Embuoo might be now that we know Tepig's name.

We can assume that since Tepid comes from tepid, the names will get gradually "hotter". (if not, then this is a major wtf moment for NoA)

But I can't think of any name that fits with pig/boar/hog + hot/warm/fiery/scorching or any synonym thereof.

What do you guys think?

I'm still going with Tepig, Tehog, Teboar :D

I'm with bro, I think their names will get hotter if anything. Fire types spouting fire from their shoulders are probably going to be warmer than tepid, and so won't have the te- at the beginning.

I'm kind of hoping they stick with Emboar for the last one. I mean, it's basically already and English name right there. Ember + boar. ... Technically it's only a little hotter than tepid (lukewarm water vs teensy tiny glowing ashes) but it still works.

I like the names. It's a bit sad that they changed Isshu to Unova, but it makes sense now that you think about it. Be glad that Oshawott still sounds a bit like Wotter. Snivy=Yes. I'm not as fond of Tepig, but it'll grow on me.

Eh, the starter names are okay. Don't like them too much but I'll get used to them..

But why did they change the name of the region? Especially considering all previous regions kept their original names.

Because it's a Western-based region and "Isshu" is a Japanese wordplay on unity. To Western audiences, "Isshu" sounds i) exotic and ii) meaningless. Making a Western-sounding wordplay on unity makes sense.

But why did they change the name of the region? Especially considering all previous regions kept their original names.

I don't know why it was translated when in the past they haven't been, but http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talk:Unova#A_guess_on_Etymology talks about what the translation could mean, not only in Japanese and English but in the other translated languages as well.

Perhaps a better question to ask is, when they've translated everything else (except most legends and the occasional other Pokemon like Pikachu or Zoroark) since day one, why did it take them this long to start translating the region name? Kanto is the only one which shares its name with an actual region; the others are all wordplay.

I'm with bro, I think their names will get hotter if anything. Fire types spouting fire from their shoulders are probably going to be warmer than tepid, and so won't have the te- at the beginning.

I'm kind of hoping they stick with Emboar for the last one. I mean, it's basically already and English name right there. Ember + boar. ... Technically it's only a little hotter than tepid (lukewarm water vs teensy tiny glowing ashes) but it still works.
Emboar's name is actually Enbuoh, which translates to something like fire martial arts king, iirc. Ember + boar is just a coincidence, if I'm not mistaken. Which doesn't necessarily mean that they won't use it, but I think they're more likely to use something revolving around temperature. Or at least a fiery adjective stronger than "ember", which is also the name for a 40 base power move :P

I'm still going with Tepig, Tehog, Teboar :D
That makes no sense, and sounds terrible. :(

I remind you that the English names don't necessarily have clear patterns. When the English names of the first- and second-stage starters from R/S had been revealed, everybody was convinced Blaziken and Sceptile would be Rooferno and Forestroy, because it had to go chick - chicken - rooster and tree - grove - forest. Cue bitching and RUINED FOREVER when it turned out to be chick - chicken - chicken and tree - grove... sceptre.

What do you guys think?
I've heard Emboar (ember + boar) for Embuoo and Lukwart (lukewarm + warthog) for Chaobuoo.

Last edited:
I don't even understand why they did Tepig of all names. Tepig, I mean really, they should have left it Pokabu, sounds much better then, Tepig.

I don't mind the name Tepig; I think it rolls off the tongue pretty well... but the way it looks written down is kind of ew. D:

By the way, "nova" means "new" in Portuguese and, if I'm not mistaken, Italian and Latin (and Esperanto but that's irrelevant).

So that furthers the potential meanings of the name Unova with a double pun -- on how much has been renewed in the fifth generation, and on how the region is based on New York.

In all Romance languages, really.

Novus -a -um is Latin for new. I'd be willing to argue that the whole name comes from Latin, and thus has a multicultural appeal in the Americas and Western Europe.

I don't even understand why they did Tepig of all names. Tepig, I mean really, they should have left it Pokabu, sounds much better then, Tepig.

you'll get used to it. don't complain, for there will come a point in time when you'll be just as used to it as you are to the existing Pokémon games.

zoruazoroarkbattleeng.png

...Already in... English...

> Pokemon names no longer in allcaps

YES

So it goes to show just how distracted I am that that totally didn't register the first time I saw the screenshot a few days ago. The new font I notice, sure, but not the lack of allcaps. Hm.

...regardless, hells yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom