• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Racism & Other Prejudices

What are your views?

Personally, I have just about Zero Tolerance for it, especially since despite me being the whitest guy ever, basically every girl I have fallen for is African-American. So NEVER say the N-word around me, or any other slur PERIOD.

I'm not Jewish (I have friends who are Jewish), but I also despise Anti-Semitism.

I think every race/religion/orientation/etc, should be treated equally.

See, as much as it's nice to say you have zero tolerance for all that, nobody's completely immune to society. That doesn't mean everyone should call themselves racist/sexist/whateverist and shame themselves over it, but even if you've got friends of whatever minorities, you're bound to have some prejudiced ideas mixed in your mind, even if you're not aware of them. Aiming to be aware of your shortcomings and work past them is a better goal.

Also, to be blunt, statements like "I have friends who are ____" are a good example of just what I mean. If you're talking about those friends as a group of Others, then that's a sign that you're thinking about them on some level as, well, Others, and using them like progressiveness cred isn't cool either.

Everyone has prejudices and preconceptions in their mind. Everyone judges everyone; it's human nature. The point is to become educated and able to look past any stupid prejudices you might have. It's when you let those prejudices affect your actions that it becomes unacceptable.

I have the weirdest meta-version of prejudice I have never heard of, I'll give a theoretic example:

Thoughts- Oh my gosh a lesbian couple! That's awesome! How do I show my support? Wait. Should I even show my support? Would drawing attention to them defeat the purpose of gay couples being a normal fact of life? Is identifying them as a 'lesbian' couple and not just a couple mean that I am othering them? Am I an otherer now? Does that mean I am a self-otherer because I am lesbian? Will I even be able to show that? I wonder if I'll ever find a girl and we can be a couple and then someone else could think 'Oh my gosh a lesbian couple! That's awesome! How do I [...]

Actions- Blank staring in their general direction for several seconds.

I have the weirdest meta-version of prejudice I have never heard of, I'll give a theoretic example:

Thoughts- Oh my gosh a lesbian couple! That's awesome! How do I show my support? Wait. Should I even show my support? Would drawing attention to them defeat the purpose of gay couples being a normal fact of life? Is identifying them as a 'lesbian' couple and not just a couple mean that I am othering them? Am I an otherer now? Does that mean I am a self-otherer because I am lesbian? Will I even be able to show that? I wonder if I'll ever find a girl and we can be a couple and then someone else could think 'Oh my gosh a lesbian couple! That's awesome! How do I [...]

Actions- Blank staring in their general direction for several seconds.

That's how I act around all people... and then I start to wonder, if it's because they're a minority of any sort... and I think no, it's just because they're a stranger and I'm terrified of strangers/people. And I think that is true? I don't know... But I always worry I'm freaking people out when they're freaking me out because they're people. ; ;

Well, welcome to one of the most LGBT Pokémon forums. Here's a bisexual person right now. *points to self*

I for one think we should totally be prejudiced against other races.

(My point being that this thread is a little silly; who's seriously going to come into it going "WELL I'M ALL FOR RACISM"? It feels a little like the only reason you made it was to be able to go look-how-awesome-and-non-racist-I-am.)

Probably that this is a Serious Business thread, and thus should probably be about a subject that can reasonably be debated. I'm pretty sure all of us here agree that racial prejudices are wrong. Unless, you know, there's some white supremacist members who'd like to share their views with us.

Edit: wait were you being sarcastic I can't really tell right now I'm way too dizzy

Probably that this is a Serious Business thread, and thus should probably be about a subject that can reasonably be debated. I'm pretty sure all of us here agree that racial prejudices are wrong. Unless, you know, there's some white supremacist members who'd like to share their views with us.

Edit: wait were you being sarcastic I can't really tell right now I'm way too dizzy

I can't tell either.

But I can't stand the "White Power" groups and whatnot.

EDIT: I just realized I intended for this to be more about extremists.

I was getting at the fact this isn't much of a debate because nobody in their right mind would ever admit to disagreeing with you. Do you expect somebody to seriously walk in here saying "Well, I think racism is awesome"?

The first line of my earlier post was sarcasm, to illustrate just how absurd it would be for somebody to come in here disagreeing with you. I was trying to call back to this post by Ruby but couldn't be bothered to find exactly how it was worded, which was rather to the detriment of my attempt to imitate it.

Back
Top Bottom