• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Memento Mori {Sign-ups open/OOC}

Pronoun
she
Twelve years.

Twelve years since the day the Infection escaped from a laboratory in northern California. It was an experiment to enhance and strengthen the human immune system, and it had failed utterly. It morphed the patient's cellular structure into something monstrous, and his blood seemed to mutate almost immediately into something unworldly. Alien. Fatal to mankind.

The heart of the man ceased to beat, and at first glance it seemed as though he died.

But that perspective was changed entirely as he began to reanimate. The color of his skin began to drain into a pale tone, and his eyes were black and lifeless. The military tried to contain him, but he was immune to their ammo. It didn't kill him. Nothing they tried to do did.

And, in turn, he bit one of the scientists. And another. And another. By that point, it was hopeless for all of the men still standing as the original zom and his new victims began to feast on their lives. It was too horrific for some to even comprehend, and to this day some become queasy or struck by paranoia at the mention of it.

The government tried to cover it up, but it grew fatally apparent that there was no way they could keep up with their lies.

For not even a day after the Infection turned loose, more than half a million were mutated. In a sense, they were killed; the Infection would be passed by one of its victims biting, scratching or injuring another, and it was only a matter of time before all of the United States was engulfed by the undead. Zombies, as some call them. A rather twisted term, actually, though so many fail to realize what mass terror and worldwide devastation was caused by those things. Thousands would fall victim daily. Millions would be taken monthly at the rate the Infection was spreading.

Some Americans managed to flee overseas before they were mutated into zoms, but others wern't so lucky. And the nationwide blackout didn't help the matter. Electricity was permenately knocked out because no one was there to fix it, and because it had no value anymore. Guns didn't get rid of the zoms. They would always shuffle mindlessly to their prey until they got what they wanted, regardless of how many bullets shot through their body.

The other countries couldn't risk letting the Infection travel to the rest of the world. So they started to reject any incoming planes or ships from the Americas. And, surprisingly, it worked; the zombies didn't make it pass the blockades, and over the course of twelve years, were contained to North and South America. Though the two continents were fundamentally hopeless, the rest of the world was safe. For now.

However, hope still was aflame for a few in the States. Citizens started to establish communities across the land to help survivors live. These communities, more commonly known as "Safe Houses" by the inhabitants, were heavily guarded by huge, steel enforced walls made from scrap metal. Men and women were trained to stand watch at towers planted on these walls for waves of zoms that needed to be executed if they posed a threat. Zombie hunters would be sent on calls of victims' families to find their infected loved ones and send them to eternal rest by either severing the brainstem or decapitating them. Farms were set up in areas where the soil was best, giving the people a source of food. Water was collected from rainstorms, ponds and streams either within the Safe House or nearby on the other side of the wall. In twelve short years, at least a couple hundred thousand Americans managed to hang onto life and live peacefully within the massive walls of their communities.

But then it started to crumble.

There were five known communities still intact at the beginning of the twelfth year—Sacramento, Ontario, Saõ Paulo, Denver and Quebec, respectively to the city they once were—and two months into that year, three had mysteriously fell into nothing but zoms. The two surviving communities feared the safety of their citizens, so they began to reinforce their walls and mass-produce more crops in case disaster struck. However, only one Safe House—Sacramento—managed to hang on as the other was slowly and painfully devoured by the ever-hungry zombies. Now, the only community of humans in the Americas, was absolutely terrified.

The administrative board of Sacramento decided to cover up the other communities' demise, but the news soon leaked out to the citizens, and they began to worry. Rumors of the administrators failing to protect their people began to stir about, and the citizens were losing hope. The propaganda was overwhelming, and some were sure that zombies were going to make their way through the walls and infect all the inhabitants. And there was really no way to blame them; all the other Safe Houses were gone. No trace of life remained. It was only a matter of time before they were going to be killed, too, wasn't it?

•~•~•~•~•~•~•​

You are a resident living in the Sacramento Safe House during this time of turmoil and despair. It's your opinion if you think that the zoms are going to be able to get through the walls of your Safe House, but it's obvious something's up. Whether they're stronger, somehow, or the zombie hunters and watchtower men are just lacking on the job, there's no denying that it's only a matter of time before a wave of zoms takes over Sacramento.

The administrators of your community held a sign-up for people who wanted to find out the reason why. It said in bolder characters on the flyers that life after the investigation was not promised, and you would go at your own risk. There would be seven separate groups of people that would venture through the surrounding area of Sacramento.

You sign up for the challenge for whatever reason, and are put on the Green Team, along with other people you may or may not recognize. Do you think you have what it takes to find the truth about the zoms and make it home in one piece?

RULES:

• The usual RP rules apply here; if you don't know them, here is where to start.

• Absolutely no electronic devices. Whatsoever. There was a nationwide blackout at the beginning of America's downfall, and nothing escaped its wrath. Not even your itty bitty iPod Shuffle, because for one thing, I'm pretty sure its batteries died a long time ago.

• Regarding your character, go wild. You don't have to restrict their clothing, if you're fearful of that; most of the whole city of Sacramento is within the walls of its community, so I'm pretty sure the clothing stores and such would still be intact. Dyed hair, some bling, whatever suits your fancy is welcomed.

• If anyone wants to take the role of a zombie hunter, go for it. I'm only going to accept one, though, because we'll need one for the team. You know, so someone actually has an idea of what we're doing and so we don't die. If no one takes it, I guess I'll be it.

• This is a semi-professional roleplay. As such, I want your post at least one paragraph long, composed of at least four-to-five sentences. One-liners are okay in some places, such as one in between two paragraphs, but no one-liners as your whole post. If I see this, I'm sending some Egyptian laser beams your way.

• To start this thing, I at least want four characters accepted.

• Character limit is one per person. No exceptions.

CHARACTER SHEET:

Name: Obvious
Age: Anything from 18 to 40 for safety reasons of children and the elderly.
Appearance: Needs to be fairly detailed, probably made up of at least four sentences. I'm kind of picky when it comes to this, solely because some of the character sheets I've seen in the past are so bland and just a few words, so you better gimme details.
Personality: At least two sentences. I'm not as picky with this. It can be PO, but you must give me a sentence for that.
Reason for joining the team: Pretty self-explanatory. Anything rational to me is welcome.
Other: Anything else to note, my pretties?

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS:
- Ulqi-chan- Axelle Roswell
- Black Yoshi- Miles Parker
- Coroxn- James Culpepper
- DarkFireDX- Zachary Beller
- Phantom- Alayne
- Lirris- Rodney Hill
- Le Sabre- Nikki Marina

RESERVES:
- Rarity
-
-
-

Last edited:
Reserve-ify-mification. :p

Name: Miles Parker

Appearance: Miles stands just over six feet, with broad shoulders to keep him looking larger than he really is. He has short tousled brown hair and green eyes, and has a necklace from when his father went on a climbing trip in South America. It's a simple black necklace with a flattened little talisman with a green stone set into the bottom as a semi-circle.

He wears clothes much like he did before the zombies popped up, meaning he likes to be fairly well-dressed and clean-cut as often as possible. Though he hasn't had a lot of time to get rid of the stubble on his face, he has kept his clothes fresh. He wears a short-sleeved white and brown plaid shirt, which is unbuttoned about halfway, and a soft blue tee underneath with a black palm tree on it. His boot-cut jeans are worn, and have a few holes in them, but he can deal with that. He has a pair of white and blue running shoes most of the time.

Since he doesn't like staying in one place very long, despite being mostly safe in Scramento, he carries his possessions in a gray messenger bag.

Personality: Miles is a firm believer that slow and steady wins the race. He would rather find a small defensible spot than go on a zombie killing spree, for example. He tries to be as amiable as possible, but is extremely stubborn when he enters an argument. That's the gist, so PO anything else, I guess.

Reason for joining the team: He's been wondering how humans will survive after (or "if") the infection is gone. It isn't his style, but he wants to see how everything that isn't human is holding up. To see if it's possible that humans can live like they used to in the Americas, or if as soon as they try to expand past Sacremento, there won't be enough food.

Other: Apparently, I'm one of your "pretties." Makes me sound like a male prostitute, but, whatever.
Also, Miles is pretty good at setting traps, but I wasn't sure where to put that. He usually had a good supply of small rodents in Sacremento to keep him healthy.

Last edited:
Memento Mori— Zoms FAQ edit

All reserved! Ulqi ish happee. :3

EDIT:

So, here's my character sheet if anyone needs a reference.
OH YES I JUST DID THAT NAME.

Name: Axelle [AXLE] Roswell

Appearance: Axelle stands around 5'8 with an average build, and fair skin. She has wild, bleach blond hair that sits messily on her shoulders, similar to the hairstyles worn back in the 80's by rockstars. She has a black headband with a skull on the front, and her eyes are a deep, dark brown color with a rusty red dappled here and there. She wears small black hoop earrings, and a silver stud higher up on her right ear.

Her attire consists of a bright red and black horizontally striped long-sleeved shirt under a blue and purple checkered open flannel shirt, and dark gray jeans with bleach stains with a chain hanging from her belt loop to her pocket on the left side. She wears graffiti designed Converse high-tops and numerous multi-colored bangles on her wrists.

Personality: Axelle is interestingly elaborate and colorful. She has a flamboyant and extraordinary aura about her, and an unnerving, loud voice. She's impulsive at best, and loves singing at extremely inappropriate times. Most of the lyrics she sings revolve around partying and "the good life," as she makes them up in her mind, and she sees no fault in practically anything she does. She's also impatient and bossy at times, and flirty around guys. Axelle also has a short fuse, and is easily frustrated or angered by the simplest things. She refuses to show any weakness around her peers, and thus usually is rash about her decisions just to impress people.

Reason for joining the team: For the sole purpose of coming back and being hailed as a hero for finding out why the zoms are "becoming real hardcore and crap."

Other: Guy characters around her age, beware! She just might hit you up! :3

ZOMBIE FAQ!
(Well, to an extent...)

Q: What are the zombies, essentially?

A: Zombies are "undead" human beings that, in our case, have been diseased by the Infection. It eats at the brain and immune system, causing body-wide devastation and numerous problems. For unknown reasons, the body can only be killed one way, and is otherwise practically immortal. They feed on other live human beings, and by biting their prey, pass on the Infection. A vicious, never-ending cycle, indeed, and they are known to feed on other zoms if humans are not in the area.
Basically, they are, as a whole, the same among each other: dreadfully pale skin, soulless back eyes (like, everything other than the sclera, AKA "the white part"), slowly shuffling but quick to strike once they have a hold of their prey, low moaning, etc, etc. The only real way to kill them is to sever the brainstem, like most others, or I guess blowing them up or something, which I doubt will happen, anyway. If I'm being a bit vague in anything, feel free to VM/PM me your concerns and I'll try to clear it up for you.

Q: How does the Infection spread?

A: Biting. Anywhere on the body of the victim. Usually, the Infection will kill immediately and convert the victim into a mindless zom instantaneously, but in some cases, it takes a longer time (eg. a few days).

Q: What about their physical strength? Are they stronger than humans, or weaker?

A: Eh, I guess it depends on who they once were, really. I mean, they can grab you and stuff, but more than likely you can escape before being bit or something. Solely because you're faster and overally stronger at the moment, but I suppose it depends on the situation, too. So, I guess bluntly, they're not really stronger than humans. If anything, they're weaker by about 30% or so than the average person? Something along those lines. So tl;dr—weaker, yes.

Q: Do the zombies have any brain function at all? Are they completely mindless?

A: ... There isn't much. At all. When I put "mindless" as an adjective in front of the word "zombie," I'm being quite literal. There is almost nothing other than getting their prey in their mind. Doors, ladders, fences, etc. are practically impossible for these zoms, and are obstacles that, in the end, they simply can't get around.
Their hearing is enhanced, however, which is why we need to be very agile and quiet when stalking through the woods and such. Sound attracts the zom, the zom attracts more zoms, and before you know it, we're all dead, so yeah. Motor skills are impaired by a long-shot, but they can still perform simplistic tasks like shuffling and grabbing things. (with a weak grip if it's small, more than likely, so they're very clumsy creatures. Oh, you silly zoms, you. Such klutz.)

If anyone wants me to add something so things don't get chaotic, VM/PM me. And please read these before posting! I don't want people making up their own zoms that are vastly different than I pictured, for the sake of the RP. :3

Last edited:
What's this? Zombies AND Flyleaf? You certainly have the most impeccable taste.

Name: James Culpepper

Appearance: James is a fairly tall individual at just under six feet, with long black hair that curls back up into his face, often hiding it, though he will sweep this fringe behind his ears when he's doing something that needs his full attention. He wears blue denim jeans with a belt that he doesn't really need, but his jeans ride uncomfortably low without them. He also wears neat black shoes, and a t-shirt that is largely black, save for the image of white headphones bleeding lines of colour, and the words Breath Today written in a sky blue above them. He also wears a heavy black half-length trench coat, not as long as the tacky Matrix shit, full of respectable buttons. His face is fairly androgynous, the kind that you might mistake for a girl in the dark. Though because of his hair, you likely couldn't see it anyway, his right ear is half missing, a memento from the time where it was bitten off by a mosher in a rock concert. His expression is ordinarily one of sorrow, though that is just its natural position and does not reflect his inward feelings.

Personality: Though he is ordinarily overly cautious, with a tendency to over-plan, he does get swept away in the moment and is prone to snap decisions under pressure. He is very prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse, having read the Max Brooks' Zombie Survival Guide well before they were an established reality. He enjoys playing the drums and dabbles in guitar. Tragically for his career as a star, he can't hold a note. He absolutely loved the internet, and its loss is one of the worst things that could happened as a result of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Reason for joining the team: He despises how pent-up life can feel in the Safe House, and longs to get outside the walls. Zombies also hold a weird fascination for him, and he longs for a chance to study them, should the situation ever arise. He also had a friend in Rosemont, and though the chances of seeing her again are slim to none, he still sorta hold on hope.

Other: He despises pop music, and if anyone is to hum a Pop tune he will take on the facial experience of one who is melting, and will be this close to punching them in the face. He is armed with a crank-torch, a watch that works by the movement of his hand, and a length of rope. He was tragically just beginning to assemble the items that the Max Brooks Zombie Survival Guide mentioned when the Zombie Apocalypse went down. Inside his chest is a tiny heart, much smaller than it should be, and as a result he tires more easily than someone of his level of fitness should. He goes to sleep with his feet tied, as he is a sleepwalker, and a sleepwalker would be a perfect target for a hungry zombie.

Last edited:
... Lol wut

Accepted, Coroxn! James sounds very... interesting, to say the least.

Wait so nobody said anything about my character's name does nobody listen to Guns N' Roses I made a reference to Axl Rose ._.

Oh, and, and, as for the zombie hunter spot... Phantom has claimed it. *confetti* So yeah, if anyone wanted to be that... Sorry. ;~;

Reserving a spot here. ^.^ I'll be back to post my sheet.

Name: Zach Beller

Appearance: Zach has a moderate build, though a bit heavy-set. He stands at a bout 5'7", with pale skin, messy, light brown hair, and hazel eyes. He also has scruff on his chin and the sides of his face. He usually has a flat expression.

For clothes, Zach usually wears fairly plain stuff, usually something along the lines of cargo shorts, a plain T-shirt in a solid color, and an unzipped blue shell jacket, like a rain jacket. His clothes are slightly worn, but not like he doesn't take care of himself. He also wears worn black and red running shoes.

It would also be noted there's a scar on the back of his right leg, maybe from surgery, and he has a slight limp sometimes.

Personality: He's usually not very expressive, but he's usually serious. He's helpful, but sometimes a jerk about it too. He'll open up if he gets to know someone, and is actually a bit of a scardey about the situation.

Reason for joining the team: He doesn't want to be stuck in the Safe House doing nothing while everything falls apart around him. He's also actually kind of scared, and would rather offer his help and get out of there then just run.

Other: "Pretty?" Really? Huh.
Zach has the remnants of an old injury, and sometimes has points where he'll start limping. He can usually compensate for this, but sometimes it could be a problem.

Last edited:
... Lol wut

The title of this was a Flyleaf reference, right? You know, their second album, Momento Mori. If not, I just spent an awful long time linking to their videos for a bad joke that isn't even referential to anything.

DarkFire is accepted. I might get this thing started around next Friday to give reserves some time.

The title of this was a Flyleaf reference, right? You know, their second album, Momento Mori. If not, I just spent an awful long time linking to their videos for a bad joke that isn't even referential to anything.

Uh, if it helps, I learned about Memento Mori's meaning from this song...
It wasn't intended to be a Flyleaf reference, but I suppose it could be. In an indirect sense.

My Reserve:

Name: Nikki Marina

Appearance: Nikki is a beautiful girl. She has natural red hair and sky blue eyes. She stands at about 5’10’’ and is pretty thin for her age. She has something about her that draws the eye of most guys, even in the middle of hostility. Most of the time, she catches guys either staring at her large chest or her butt. She doesn’t show it, but she can knock someone out with a couple of punches (she is strong). She is quick and agile, moving all the time. Her normal clothing is blue jeans, a blue cami, and a blue hoodie.

Personality: She is pretty-well read. She will speak her mind if you question her and will knock you out if it comes to it. She isn’t even close to high-maintenance, preferring the simple things in life that she knows will come. She will never go overboard, unless it is to prove a point. She finds herself wanting hugs a lot.
Reason for joining the team: To prove that there is power behind her pretty face.

Other: She will go after a guy that she thinks will not hold her off. (This means that he normally is looking for a girl, but can’t find one.)

Last edited:
Accepted, though just for the sake of my perfectionism, can you format your sheet like everyone else's? By that I mean bolding the bolded words, perhaps putting spaces between the categories.

... I know, I'm just that picky, aren't I. I feel bad asking you that, but yeah. ._.

EDIT: ... Wait, you said your reserve. You're... done, right? Or am I just losing my mind over here?

Name: Rodney Hill

Appearance: Rodney stands at an imposing 6' 2", and weighs in at 215 lbs. He is built in a very muscular fashion, but is more than capable of moving in an agile fashion.

Rodney wears a ragtag assortment of clothes, a slightly torn and blood stained black t-shirt, black jeans with ragged cuffs and several patches, and a brown, unzipped, leather jacket over his shirt. He has several pads over his shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles and wrists, mainly being old sports equipment that has been patched with leather and iron studs. He has black gloves, the fingers of which have been eroded away. He has messy brown hair, and is usually limited to the back of his neck, as well as a deep brown beard limited to his chin, ad a thin moustache. He has numerous small scars along his fingertips due to testing the edge of his weapon.

Personality: Headstrong, Brash, and rarely thinks things through.
Reason for joining the team: Wanted to prove his strength against creatures he could actually kill.

Last edited:
Oh, and, and, as for the zombie hunter spot... Phantom has claimed it. *confetti* So yeah, if anyone wanted to be that... Sorry. ;~;

So I kind of think you need to revise that a bit. Also, regarding the personality, all I need is at least one sentence for whatever aspect about him and the rest can be PO. If you get all that fixed up, you're in.

Name: Alayne (pronounced a-lane)

Appearance: Alayne has short, about mid neck length, black hair and green eyes. She stands about 5'10". She can usually be seen in combat pants, boots, and a black hoodie jacket with a tee underneath. Occasionally she'll be covered in zombie guts, but that's only after a good fight.

She carries a combat knife strapped to her boot, a long machete sheathed on her back, and a pistol at her waist; just in case, you know.

Personality: Her style? Anything to survive. She isn't past using any means necessary to save herself. PO...

Reason for joining the team: Everything's better in a group right? Just gotta outrun the slowest lame brain to be. She figured that the group could use someone who knew how to deal with this new world; someone who's experienced it first hand.

Other: She excells at close quarters, but knows how to handle a gun. Thing is, sometimes using a gun can be a death sentence and bring about a horde; which is bad. It's not about taking out the most undead, it's about surviving, and the best way to survive? Don't get noticed. Given her preference to close action she learned to use her environment to her advantage, using traps and the environment to, say, limit the amount of zombies coming at you, use traps, or to avoid them completely.

Last edited:
Gonna repost this; as stated in the last one, Phantom and Lirris are accepted.

And, and, main thread's up! I know, I know, I'm about a week late with this, but I had some things going on... A day late and a dollar short, as they say, but I'm hoping that we'll still have a fire of excitement dancing around here.

Also, if I could direct you guys toward this. I edited in a zombie FAQ, and I suggest everyone reads it before posting. It includes questions about the zombies in general, and if I may point to Coroxn for asking all of those brilliantly relevant questions, thus making me post them here for everyone to see (in different words, but WHATEVA).

Anyways, for firsts posts, dearies, we'll be meeting up at the pole. Phantom's having an important role in this, because she'll be the one leading us, essentially, but we all gotta contribute and be helpful. And have fun. Maybe kill a zom or two.

Have fun, you guys. :3

Accepted, though just for the sake of my perfectionism, can you format your sheet like everyone else's? By that I mean bolding the bolded words, perhaps putting spaces between the categories.

... I know, I'm just that picky, aren't I. I feel bad asking you that, but yeah. ._.

EDIT: ... Wait, you said your reserve. You're... done, right? Or am I just losing my mind over here?

Yes, I fixed it. Yes, you have a reserve for me up there. Yes, I am done.

Back
Top Bottom