• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

cosplay.

Sorry for the bump, I guess I have questions for those who cosplay :P
I intend on cosplaying sometime ever, but if I keep just intending I'll end up getting old enough that I'll be too ugly to do it (not that I'm not already)

How do you put together your costumes? Do you just look around for things that might fit the character and put them together and hope for the best? Or are you all masters at sewing and can make stuff out of nothing?

I'm one of those people who thinks that's an important part of dressing up as someone.
I'd probably be like that too. So all female characters and characters who don't wear glasses and characters that aren't ugly are out the window for me.
Why do so few good and recognisable characters wear glasses anyway >:|
And no, don't anyone dare suggest Harry Potter.

I sew my costumes, but I started off selecting things that looked alike... my sewn costumes look way more accurate. Maybe if you start of with very simple costumes (characters with simple, plain-colored clothes ect.) you might be able to find similar clothes? Or try learning how to sew.

You can totes cosplay characters without glasses! Just take them off when you take pictures, lots of people do this.

I sew my cosplays now, but when I was a beginner I started by looking for similar clothes at thrift stores (which are goldmines for cosplay wow yes good) and editing those. Yeah, you'll want to choose a character with a simple design for your first cosplay, since there's no way to get around doing a bit of sewing/editing whatever clothing you might find.

Aaaand if you can't find any clothes to use as a base, there's full cosplays/bits and pieces you can buy on the internet but they'll prob be pretty expensive. Good luck/oops if you've heard any of this before????

And yeah, you can still cosplay characters without glasses if you take them off. Or use contacts. I got a bunch of contacts for cosplay use - I prefer glasses in my daily life though, so I really just use them for cosplay.

Thanks for the replies :)

Yeah I figured something simple would be best, it's just hard to think of a character whose design is that simple and yet not so simple the costume could look like it belongs to anyone. I was thinking maybe Cheren (BW rather than B2W2) since I already have black trousers and a belt, and it shouldn't be too hard to find a white v-neck to add some orange to. The jacket would be the only real difficulty there probably.

I don't particularly want to try contacts. I've never used any before so I've no idea how okay I'd be with them. Plus my glasses are so thick and powerful I'm pretty sure contacts with the same prescription would have to be super expensive. My eyes are just that bad :c

Also I finally got around to looking up what exactly a thrift store is. So they're charity shops that makes so much sense, I understand so many things people have said over the years now.

I haven't cosplayed in yeeeeears and never took it super-seriously or anything, but the best ones I've done were Team Magma Grunt, Maya Fey and Vincent Valentine. I think I've still got the costumes somewhere, but I don't have the long hair required for the last two anymore. I have plans to put together a Fourth Doctor get-together at some point because I have the awesome scarf, which is the the most important bit :)

Sorry for the bump
again

Halloween is coming up. What're people here dressing up as, if anything?

I was intending to make a costume since I'm in America this year and you lot seem to take this holiday more seriously than anyone I've seen. But then I realised I can't make anything that isn't super easy because I'm in America now and all of my everything (ability to dye anything, etc) is over 3000 miles away and I don't want to rebuy too much foe one costume.

So now I'm thinking the really easy option of a Team Rocket Grunt. I just need one of those iron-on Rs.

did a really crappy Sonic the Hedgehog cosplay for Halloween for two years but it was still cool and fun. then i did a Katara for halloween the next year.
really wanting to do a Sherlock/John/Moriarty and Azula/Ty Lee/Mai cosplay with my friends.

So I've got most things together for my rocket grunt costume!

I don't have a Poké Ball though :(
I've been looking on amazon and there're lots of toys but I'm unsure how well any of them would work as a prop. Does anyone have any advice on which I should get?

Making a Link costume this year.

Toon Link or normal Link?

I don't have a Poké Ball though :(
I've been looking on amazon and there're lots of toys but I'm unsure how well any of them would work as a prop. Does anyone have any advice on which I should get?

pppppsssssst you can always make your own with a bit of craft paint and dollar store styrofoam balls! You can make them glossy and nice with some mod podge, too (and making your own means you can have great balls or ultra balls or luxury balls and what have you).

I've been planning to be a weeping angel for Halloween for like a year, but I haven't actually.. started.. working on the costume. Dunno if I'll end up defaulting to the Eleventh Doctor or Red if I don't get it done on time? Whoops.

I've always had a dream of cosplaying for Halloween, but I can't sew or anything like that. I don't even have a sewing machine! Just hand stitching a small stuffed doll for Latin convention one year was hard enough.

pppppsssssst you can always make your own with a bit of craft paint and dollar store styrofoam balls!

That's boring :c
I wanted to do something like this but none of the craft shops around here sell transparent baubles.

I just found a really cool longcoat so I'm planning to go as the Tenth Doctor this year.

I generally don't do cosplay as I'm always broke and have no talent with making clothes, but it's definitely something i'd like to try in the future!

Me again! Whoo
all of my everything (ability to dye anything, etc) is over 3000 miles away and I don't want to rebuy too much foe one costume.

So now I'm thinking the really easy option of a Team Rocket Grunt. I just need one of those iron-on Rs.

OKAY so this also means I don't have a printer. Which means I have to do the R by hand. Which means it's going to be really easy to screw up. Which means I probably will!

Here's my first attempt at an R (not the size it'll be when it's on a shirt, but to scale). It's probably close enough but I'm just not satisfied :|

I just found a really cool longcoat so I'm planning to go as the Tenth Doctor this year.
Also doubles as a Looker cosplay!

Won't be able to get anything together for Halloween, but totally trying to cosplay for an anime convention at the end of December. It'll be my first time, I'm not too good at sewing, so I guess I'm stuck scouring thrift stores and such. At least I've been operating a hot glue gun for the better part of 15 years.

I guess I should probably note that I will be crossdressing too, go big or go home. Originally was going to be most of my group of friends, then they flaked like wussies. Probably didn't want to walk around pantsless in December.

I wear glasses, but so does the character I'm going for. Hooray. Don't like contacts anyway. If I ever cosplay someone who doesn't have glasses, I will take them off for photos and hope to god that my eyes don't burn out in the meantime. They get watery pretty quick if I'm in a well-lit situation.

More importantly, I've never worn a wig before. Is there anything I need to be aware of? Should I cut my hair extra short before the con?

I forgot to post pictures from Megacon last week so I'm just going to necrobump this thread with some rad photos.

Here's my Simon Blackquill cosplay.
Here's a bunch of really awesome cosplays.
Here's more of my personal favorites
Have some Steven Universe!
Have some Mother 3!
Props to this guy for having the best... well, props

The panels were also really awesome. Stan Lee was there. Hulk Hogan, Lou Ferrigno, Troy Baker, Alex Kingston, and Karen Gillan were there. Half the cast of Firefly was there. A bunch of people from Arrow and Flash were there.

(Yay, someone other than me bumped this thread!)
I did finish the Team Rocket cosplay, by the way! One person commented that the R wasn't thick enough though :(

I'm working on an N cosplay now! I'm not sure what to make the accessories out of. I've looked around where I live for arts&crafts shops to see if they sell fabric or velcro I can use for his wrist thingy but they only sell paint and pencils and coloured paper.

I have a void cube though and thanks to that coloured paper I mentioned above, it's gold.

Back
Top Bottom