• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Sexuality

Sexuality?

• I am heterosexual.

Votes: 99 44.8%
  • I am homosexual.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • I am bisexual.

Votes: 42 19.0%
  • I am pansexual.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • I am asexual.

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 33 14.9%

• Total voters
Who told you that? Gay people can get married in certain states in the US, actually, (though obviously not in the Church) though we still don't believe in that way of life. As Catholics, we believe that the purpose of marriage is to bring new life into the world. Since homosexual sex doesn't do this, we obviously don't view it as a "proper" marriage, if you could even call it a marriage. If it's gay, it's more like "agreeing to have intercourse" than "agreeing to raise children." There's quite the difference.

So basically in your opinion the only reason two homosexual men (Or indeed women) would even contemplate marriage is to have sex?

So basically in your opinion the only reason two homosexual men (Or indeed women) would even contemplate marriage is to have sex?

Well, obviously they would want to marry because they're attracted to each other and want to live together, but besides living in the same house and sharing finances, I don't think I left that much out of the equation. My opinion is that the base purpose of marriage is to have children. But that's just me.

Well, obviously they would want to marry because they're attracted to each other and want to live together, but besides living in the same house and sharing finances, I don't think I left that much out of the equation. My opinion is that the base purpose of marriage is to have children. But that's just me.

Take cover, Phyro Phantom! I know from experience this is the last place you should ever give that opinion.

Unless you're a very good debater.

so people who don't want kids can't get married, divorced people with kids already can't get re-married and people who are unable to have kids can't get married?

My opinion is that the base purpose of marriage is to have children. But that's just me.

...i know quite a few people that have married and never had kids and very happy. it's not a base purpose at all, but it's quite common. some people have kids with people and don't marry and are perfectly happy with that. :|

also thanks for ignoring my other post edit: nevermind, just saw your edit, sorry <3

Who told you that?
My mother who works at her church and is very religious. The reason why it came up is that is was in the catechism books and mothers were pissed. Mom told us about it. Even our priest agreed with her.
Gay people can get married in certain states in the US, actually, (though obviously not in the Church)
And my family does a happy dance each time it gets legalized.
though we still don't believe in that way of life. As Catholics, we believe that the purpose of marriage is to bring new life into the world. Since homosexual sex doesn't do this, we obviously don't view it as a "proper" marriage, if you could even call it a marriage. If it's gay, it's more like "agreeing to have intercourse" than "agreeing to raise children." There's quite the difference.

Adoption doesn't count then? A shame. Well, we all know that no children are rotting in foster care.

And why do you need to have kids to get married? I plan to adopt one day and I'm scared of child birth. Maybe I don't want to have kids but adopt them. I still want to get married. What's wrong with that?

What we mean when we say that being gay is "okay" doesn't mean that we view it as morally correct, but rather that we try to be tolerant to people that think otherwise, and we need to remember that God is always willing to forgive everyone - even if they're not Catholic / Christian.

Perhaps, but I was taught differently by my parents.

Last edited:
Huh. I don't exactly know. I've never been sexualy attracted to anyone before so I can't say.
At times, though, I catch myself looking (Really looking and checking out) other girls bodies and liking it, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean that I'm homosexual. I think I'm with Butterfree on this. Women are sexy, men arn't, but I'll probably end up dating men.

Then again, I really dunno. I could be bi. *shrugs*

Unchaste thoughts are not encouraged by my religion, and homosexual sex is most certainly banned. So, um, no.
Well, seeing as the Old Testament was annuled by the New one, could you find me the passages in the New one where this is said?

Also, half the gay married couples I know (I live in Belgium it is homoland homos are welcome we're going to sink into the sea etc) have kids from previous het relationships. They have fulfilled their duties in life. Now that they've continued the family line (because we must live only for this) are they allowed to not repress their sexualities?

Then just tell the other person not to do that?
Well yeah, but then I'd feel a little guilty that I wouldn't be able to fulfil the other guy's sexual needs.

I guess there are /other/ ways of pleasuring someone, but eh.

It looks way worse than it really is. The ridge where the body meets the base is rounded.

Well you don't start with a lava lamp! D: I just wiggled a finger around a bit my first time, then tried working in a second once I was comfortable... And lube would make it easier, of course. I don't have any, so I just use warm water, which works fine for me, though everyone says I'm crazy.
Hrm, maybe I should try this sometime.

I'm just a little worried that I'll end up in hospital and will have to make up a cover story.

Take cover, Phyro Phantom! I know from experience this is the last place you should ever give that opinion.

Unless you're a very good debater.
I was sure this would happen the moment I saw the topic. :P

Also, half the gay married couples I know (I live in Belgium it is homoland homos are welcome we're going to sink into the sea etc) have kids from previous het relationships. They have fulfilled their duties in life. Now that they've continued the family line (because we must live only for this) are they allowed to not repress their sexualities?

this. well i live one country north but i travel south every so often, and also it is the same one country up north

Um... wow. So now I'm the weird one.

Well, I was just stating what I think - obviously most of you won't agree, and I didn't really expect you to.

If a Catholic priest said that, according to the Church, being gay is morally correct, then we definitely need another Vatican council. -_-

Obviously people get married for pleasure - what I meant was that marriage was meant to produce children. Of course, consequences come with that, which is why a stable marriage is the preferable environment to raise children. Also, not everyone has children - even if they are straight, or whatever, but the point is try to avoid selfish marriages in which both partners are only interested in themselves. Personally, I think that homosexual marriages in which the partners love each other is at least better than heterosexual marriages that were only based on financial or social/political reasons. I guess I just have too much of a "perfect world" view...

That's like saying "I did all my community service, can I go break the law now?" Previously having kids doesn't really justify things, and since I'm Catholic, I don't believe in divorce, or multiple marriages, etc.

And... "are they allowed to not repress their sexualities?" Um... when did I ever say they weren't? I was just saying what I believe in, the way I intend to live, and the way I think those that share my religion ought to live as well. Personally, I don't believe in putting laws against homosexuality or anything like that in place - those only create conflict, and oppress others just because they have divergent sexualities from the government.

I'm not trying to be all high and mighty, or "you must follow the bible/Church or die" or whatever - I'm just saying what I think, just like the rest of you.

I'm not saying not to argue with me, but you don't have to take it so personally...

Marriage isn't meant to produce children. Marriage gives tax benefits. Sex produces children. Whether you stand before an altar with a dressing gown and a wedding ring doesn't improve or decrease your chances of having a child.

If a Catholic priest said that, according to the Church, being gay is morally correct, then we definitely need another Vatican council. -_-

No. We need to praise this priest's common sense.

Marriage isn't meant to produce children. Marriage gives tax benefits. Sex produces children. Whether you stand before an altar with a dressing gown and a wedding ring doesn't improve or decrease your chances of having a child.

No. We need to praise this priest's common sense.

You may agree with his opinion, but it is clearly against Catholic teachings, so I don't think he really ought to be a priest in the first place. But whatever.

Yes, sex produces children - and sex should only be had in marriage, out of respect for the partner, and to ensure that any children that may result can be properly raised. Nobody likes having their parents argue and get divorced when they're only a kid, and adultery shows a bad example for the children as well. Of course, this all depends on your definition of good and evil, which is why none of this applies to you.

Yes, sex produces children - and sex should only be had in marriage, out of respect for the partner, and to ensure that any children that may result can be properly raised.

are you seriously claiming that sex in marriage promotes respect towards the partner? respect isn't shown by withholding sex until a certain date, that is some fantastically awful logic. also, two gay people are equally capable of raising a child, so this isn't an argument against gay marriage at all, this is an argument against marriage. and also, a piece of paper giving tax benefits doesn't say anything about anyone's parenting skills, i know better divorced homes than families that are still together

You should have sex when YOU feel you are ready. No person, or religion, should tell you if you're ready or not. It's nobody else's decision.

Sex is done for pleasure as well as procreation. If I do shit with my partner, I'm doing it because I know we will both enjoy it. Seeing her smile when she wakes up next to me is a far bigger form of respect than withholding it because old man in the sky says so.

Back
Top Bottom