• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why do You Write?

Eeveelution

Among the few morons with straight A's.
The title says it all: why do you write? This is something I just thought about, and I'm not sure why I enjoy it. It's like I can create an alternate world that only I can control, and who wouldn't like to create their dream world? But I also love to please people, which I feel I can do through writing. Also, my mind is very unique; sometimes my thoughts are so complex I can't understand them. (For example, the world could be completely different with different colors. Right now we know green, but it could have been that green never existed. How do you describe a color that doesn't exist?) By writing, I can take a break from thinking so hard. While you may say you need to think while writing, the thoughts I'm trying to escape are never in my writing. During my writing I just let out emotions I've bundled up.

I'm not sure about you guys, but to me writing is half of my life for reasons I don't understand. How about you?

(For example, the world could be completely different with different colors. Right now we know green, but it could have been that green never existed. How do you describe a color that doesn't exist?)

One person at school wondered if time is really going backwards instead of forwards, but then I said it doesn't matter as we observe it forward, so it's not so complex, just trivial; it's great you've found a way to not think of those things.

I don't write because I'm lazy and disorganized. Maybe one because of the other.

I write because, well, that's what I do. I've made up complicated, epic stories in my head since I was little, originally just playing them out with lego or something and later writing them down. I just have a natural drive to make stories. I couldn't not write.

I started writing fanfics when I realized that it's what a lot of people on the forums around me did. I don't think I had any good reason to write at that point, but as time went on more ideas for fanfics starting popping up in my head, and I kept writing them down, because playing them through in my head wasn't enough to satisfy me. One of my current fanfics is a mix of a (very different) rewrite of a Warriors fic I wrote last January and three other ideas that have been floating around in my head for a while now; the other is a written version of Mafia using Warriors cats.

I write because I want to write. Frequently I just start writing something in Writer and after I'm done I just delete it. I write because I enjoy the process of imagining and getting everything sorted out.

Sometimes I also like to share my imagination and stories with other people, and that's also a reason to write them down. Mostly I just enjoy it and do it naturally, whether I've got paper or not.

I've always been a writer, and dream of being a published author one day. Fanfiction wise, there's so many things we don't yet know in the Pokeverse, or never were explained--and fanfiction as a way to both practice my writing skills and explore what isn't explained or could have been in my favorite fandoms

I'm usually too lazy to right, but when I do, it's usually to vent/project/share emotions, or to explore a character. Sadly, I'm not too good at it and I get writing blocks whenever I try to write anything.

I don't write very often, but when the occasional inspiring dream comes to me, I just feel that it would be a waste not to make something of it. If I can, that is; most of the time, a dream isn't enough to base a whole story on...

Thanks in most part to early printing, and now, the internet, there's a great big mess of human noise out there. Writing is my may of adding to that noise in a brief, yet somewhat more permanent way than simply making a sound.

Also it's something to do at 3am when the caffeine is running low and I just don't feel like doing that english essay due in the next day...

I write because I dream, and often. A lot of times a story of mine will start as nothing more than a daydream and I'll just write down the daydream as if it were a story. Little by little, the people in the daydream morph into their own characters, and slowly the daydream becomes a story worth telling.

I also write because I like the challenge of twisting ideas and plots that have been done before; I love creating something fresh and unique from generic ideas.

So that one day, somebody will care enough about what I've written to burn copies of my books.

Well, I'm terrible at visual arts (it's the whole angles and perspectives thing; I can draw perfectly fine 2D objects :]) and I'm under-skilled in musical composition. I like expressing the little creativity there is inside my shrunken up little fig of a left-hemisphere and writing is the easiest form of conveying this. When I learn how to properly compose music, then I will probably encourage myself to engage in creative activities more often (including writing and, god forbid, scribbling 'abstracts' in my exercise books). But write now, all I've managed are a few accidental pieces that somehow got the appraisal of a few readers and incomplete songs I've tried to transcribe D:

I would do this just because you said so, but that costs money. D:

No it doesn't, just burn down a Walmart! Walmart has everything...

I write because i love to learn about my characters and direct them in the right little path, and sometimes make up reasons that one has to die... and it gets my obscure little ideas that no one will believe until it's too late...

And i really just plain love it, i'm hoping to finish my book before i'm out of highschool.

So that one day, somebody will care enough about what I've written to burn copies of my books.
A friend and I agreed that that was the wittiest thing we read all day.

Last edited:
I draw and write for two reasons- first, Im full of ideas(although my writing skills arent that good- but, as some say, practice makes the msater!), and, like some people have hormone attacks, I have 'idea attacks'.

Oh, by the way, I also draw because I can.

If you can fill a book with wit like that, people will be queuing up to burn it.

Back
Top Bottom