• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

The Great Pokemon Hunt

glitchedgamer

GET EQUIPPED WITH
I'm sure many of us have spent hours, or even days, searching for a certain Pokemon. Share those frustrating moments here. Feel free to say Feebas =P

My most dreaded hunt, besides Feebas, was for one of the most unimpressive, yet still awesome in my book, Pokemon: Dunsparce in Crystal. I really wanted to go through the game with a 'Sparce, so as soon as I got to Dark Cave I began the hunt. Unfortuantly, I forgot that Dunsparce had a 1% encounter rate. It took me a combined 3 hours to find the land snake, which I named Medusa. Later that same day, I got a call from a Hiker that I JUST registered that said Dunsparce were swarming Dark Cave. I almost throw my GBC at the wall.

Now, as I write this, I'm using Medusa to Headbutt trees above Slowpoke Well in hopes of finding a Heracross to add to my team, which is still just three Pokemon at Lv 17 (Hey, I only have 2 badges). Of course, Heracross has a 1% encounter rate also, so most of my day will be spent headbutting trees with Medusa. Yay. At least I can brag that I own two rare Pokemon.

Possibly even more painful was finding Grimer in Emerald. It had to be Emerald because I needed to use a Move Tutor to teach it Ice Punch (this was before Platinum). The encounter rate in the Firery Path? Yep, 1%. It took hours to find one, then I had to breed it to get a good nature, then was forced to get enough BP for Ice Punch. Torture.

As for most people, Chimecho took forever to find on Mt. Pyre.

Last edited:
Right now, I'm trying to find Suicune in my FireRed. I've just about walked the entire region of Kanto and about half of the Sevii Islands. The DS needs to charge now, though, so I'm taking a break. Usually, Suicune is no problem for me to find; don't know why it's taking this long now.

Oh yes, and finding Larvitar in my Crystal. I was too lazy to get a Pokemon with Flash to look around Silver Cave, so I just spent my time bumping around in total darkness. Finally got one, but then I had trouble getting out of the cave.

Nidoran♀ in FR. Oh god I spent a good two days hunting in that stupid grass patch outside Mt. Moon and ramped my time up to 30 hours with one badge. I felt like impaling a Jigglypuff for bait. Bastards.

Lapras in Platinum. FFFF. God, just getting to the right place sucked, and then I spent a good 3 hours hunting for one. I never want to see another Dewgong, Golbat or Azumarill again.

As of today, I am hunting for Nidoran (both genders) in Route 201. Fucking hell. Fortunately what made it tolerable was the multitasking; I was training hatched Pokemon as well, since I like having mine with better stats and I can't EV for pickles. Not to mention egg moves.

I just waited for the swarms, otherwise.

Lapras in Platinum. FFFF. God, just getting to the right place sucked, and then I spent a good 3 hours hunting for one. I never want to see another Dewgong, Golbat or Azumarill again.

Whoa, they are that rare!?

I encountered two in a row on my way to chaining Bellsprout. O_O

If I would have known, I would have used my quick balls to catch them. Unfortunately, both used Perish Song.

I spent hours hunting for a Chimecho as well, and it's stuffed in my PC. I would migrate it, but then I would have to spend more hours getting another, and also, it's a lot easier to get it in Diamond and Pearl.

Right now, I'm hunting for a female Naïve Chimchar. I've been resetting for hours total, including the time it took me to watch Race to Witch Mountain.

I never had to search that hard for a Feebas, though; I just cloned my sister's and bred it. I need to migrate Milo the Modest Feebas eventually....

HERACROSS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. If I see one more Spearow or Aipom fall outta that tree, I'm gonna fucking light Azalea Town on fire with my Quilava.

I kinda want to try catching Feebas again...I mean I can just breed one, but the hunt will be more fun because the stress of finding one will be gone. I'll make a sport of it! Maybe I can do the same with Hera...

Mespiriit. -_-

I hate that little pink thing. Since it started wandering around Sinnoh, I've only seen it once - and of course, I didn't catch it.

Chansey in FireRed. I looked up the zones of the Safari Zone in which they appear, but stupidly I didn't bother to check the encounter rates for both zones; I just assumed they were 1% encounter in both. So I spent quite a few hours Chansey-hunting, and when I did find a Chansey it usually broke out of the ball. After a while, I decided to check the encounter rates. I had been looking in the zone where they were 1%, but in the other zone they were 4%. Not that much of a difference, but it did make me headdesk, since I was making it harder for myself than I needed to.

I did catch a Chansey, though, as well as a Scyther, Kangaskhan and Tauros. In fact, my FireRed file carries at least the basic forms of every Kanto Pokémon except Omanyte, Hitmonlee, Porygon and LeafGreen-exclusives.

I still have yet to find a Feebas, but that's probably because I haven't yet gone searching for one.

Last edited:
For the longest time I could never get a Shuckle from inserting Emerald into my Diamond. I got it eventually, but it was really annoying; mainly because it's on Route 224.

Feebas was rather easy for me. I tend to be good at zoning out and still doing something properly (provided it doesn't involve dangerous equipment like knives or saws or something).

It's terrible hunting for Scyther on Platinum, though. I've been searching for Scyther forever and have only found one... and it has to be male. I wanna female Scyther D:< Caught him and put him in the PC anyways though, and named him Stormblade I'M SORRY BUT STORMBLADE IS AWESOME ;;.

I also hate wandering legendaries. They're difficult enough to encounter in the pre-DP games, let alone track. And catching them = AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

Chimecho in either Ruby or Emerald and amazingly Caterpie in Red. Four Pikachus I found while looking for one, but never, ever found a supposedly uncommon Caterpie. Had to beat Brock with a Charmander and Spearow instead of a Confusion-wielding Butterfree.

Surprisingly, Oddish.

It was recently, when I was having a shot at Gold, just for HG/SS' sake. Internet tells me I need an Oddish and a Lickitung to get a dreaded Leaf Stone. The latter was easy; then, I spent at least 5 minutes wandering around a random bush while whimpering to myself why won't the old man go find the Oddish himself if they gather just outside his house.

But, the Oddish never, ever would come.

Up to one point, I got so frustrated I decided to take a better check at the locations where Oddish could be found. Well, I did the right thing, because that led me to finding out they could only be caught at night. And you can't mess with G/S/C's internal clock. I raged.

Then I waited for night to come. Then I caught an Oddish easily, got the dreaded Leaf Stone, and got an Exeggutor while skipping around my room like a drug addict.

By the way, if you're looking for a running legendary, go between two connected routes with grass and check every time that you get to the other route. In pearl I went to valley windworks and that route next to it and I whammed Mesprit with one of my friend's cloned master balls (he only gave me 4 or 7) in a matter of minutes!

Yes. Hunting Pokémon.
I have one very memorable one: a Shiny Male Absol with Super Luck (I wanted it because that is as close as I can get to my RSP character). On Mt. Coronet in Platinum. o_O I'm good at chaining, but it's still nasty: They have a 5% encounter rate IN A BLIZZARD, and even once you reach a chain of 40, you still have to reset every 50 steps until you get a shiny patch (.5% chance) It took me weeks and weeks of hunting it off and on, but finally, I happened to get my first shiny Absol. And it fulfilled my requirements exactly. :DDDDD

My Feebas hunting wasn't actually all that bad. Took me maybe half an hour of fishing once or twice on every patch. Once I found a Feebas patch, I caught about 13 of them. And the last one I caught liked Dry Poffins, had (apparently) outstanding overall IVs and a perfect defense IV. Go figure.

And then there was my epic quest to catch 8 Eevees and 8 shiny Eevees in the Trophy Garden for a full set of Eeveelutions. But I won't go into all the gruesome details of that one.

@ Slartibartfast: I would've just bred the one Bebe gives you with a Ditto.

Which reminds me; the hunt for Ditto was agony. Took me about 2 days on and off running in that dreaded patch of grass, and surprisingly I ran into more Mr. Mime and Wingull (which "apparently" had a lower encounter rate) than that damned thing. eventually I gave up and traded.

THEN when I ran back to Canalave to get rid of HMs on my Noctowl, guess the first Pokemon I encountered in the grass.

Back
Top Bottom