• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Gamefreak is hiring Graphic Designers

*prepares portfolio and high school transcripts*

*realizes she hasn't graduated college yet and doesn't live in Japan*
:c
DAMN. And this is something I wanna go into, too. ><

What I don't get is why one has to live in Japan. There IS a little something called Email, after all. Only thing I can think of is security, but even then, well, make them work at Nintendo of America/Canada/Europe/What the fuck ever whenever they work on sprites and models

What I don't get is why one has to live in Japan. There IS a little something called Email, after all. Only thing I can think of is security, but even then, well, make them work at Nintendo of America/Canada/Europe/What the fuck ever whenever they work on sprites and models
Probably because they want to oversee the process itself instead of getting products e-mailed in, before any unwanted decisions are made.

Probably because they want to oversee the process itself instead of getting products e-mailed in, before any unwanted decisions are made.

Or because Japan thinks their artists are way better than anyone else's. =P

Seriously though, as much as we might try to imitate it, Japanese art is just kinda... different somehow. I dunno. They might be worried about the styles clashing.

Because they'll probably want them there in the workplace? It's a proper job, and they pay for offices for a reason.

Or because Japan thinks their artists are way better than anyone else's. =P
Um, yeah. Japan is kind of known for its xenophobia. I don't know how open-minded the people at GameFreak are, but I don't know that they'd be thrilled at the idea of a non-Japanese living in Japan being on the design team, either.

Um, yeah. Japan is kind of known for its xenophobia. I don't know how open-minded the people at GameFreak are, but I don't know that they'd be thrilled at the idea of a non-Japanese living in Japan being on the design team, either.

Japan is Xenophobic as a rule of thumb?

I did not know that o.o;

Are there any sources that prove this? Seems like a bit of a racist comment without evidence to back it up

This video offers some nice insight from a white person living there, too. (Only I don't think "gaijin" is an offensive word like he's saying; I always thought it was a pretty neutral term, but I'm not completely sure.)

As he says, it's not something you're really likely to encounter if you're just visiting, but they really don't like foreigners living there very much. :\

(Only I don't think "gaijin" is an offensive word like he's saying; I always thought it was a pretty neutral term, but I'm not completely sure.)
Opinion on that appears to be mixed (and I'm sure that it's the tone/intent behind it that's really the important part when it's being used).

I'm pretty sure that most japanese graphic/art jobs in general have a much higher standard than that of western countries, as well.

Also, you probably can't just e-mail them your work because you're more likely to be working on a board with other designers rather than individually. It's more of a team thing in most cases.

Japan was really fun to visit, but I'd never want to do any sort of art-related job there. These 14-year-olds who want to go to Japan and be a mangaka!!!1 probably don't know that it involves practically nonstop work to meet deadlines for shit pay because that industry is so huge and the artists are basically a dime a dozen.

Back
Top Bottom