• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Dragon vs Sangfroidish

Ehhh luck isn't really on my side rn, so I'll just go ahead and say Snore until you wake up. And then let's... call up a Sandstorm, why not. And finally, Lava Plume away! If you can't use Sandstorm for whatever reason then just use Lava Plume, see if you can blast Zulf into the air (which is apparently a Thing Lava Plume does, according to the db)?

Snore / Sandstorm / Lava Plume x3

I have rolled a number that tells me how long the sleep lasts. Then I roll every action to see if the Pokemon lowers their severity of sleep. If the sleep severity goes below mild, the Pokemon will wake up before its 'waking time'.

Okay. I believe randomising status durations is considered pretty unorthodox these days but it's certainly been done that way before. What are the minimum and maximum durations, and what is the chance of dropping a stage each action?

Anyway. Zulf, keep eating health, then when she wakes up and summons a sandstorm overwrite it with Rain Dance. Then hit her with Psyshock.

Dream Eater/Rain Dance ~ Dream Eater/Rain Dance/Psyshock ~ Dream Eater/Rain Dance/Psyshock

Miniumum and maximum durations? I go by 3-5 actions normally, as that's how it works in the games. Maybe that's a little small in hindsight?

For the stage dropping, I give it a 1/10 chance. Loud moves would raise the chances to 5/10, I'd think.

Anyway, I apologise for my lateness in everything. I will be making the round now. Should I just edit this, or should I make a new post?

Round four

Dragon
Numel
Melancholy (F) Oblivious (Lucky egg)
Health: 53%
Energy: 57%
Stockpiled 15% energy
Has forgotten fire blast.
Pumped up (has higher chance of crits)
Asleep (mild)
+1 defence +3 special defence

Commands: Snore~Sandstorm~Lava plume

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Zulf (m) Synchronise (Dawn stone)
Health: 73%
Energy: 72%
Has a reflect screen up. (lasts 3 more actions)
Has a light screen up, (lasts 4 more actions)
-1 speed

Commands: Dream eater~Rain dance~Psyshock

After a long period of waiting, a sudden snore awoke the trainer's from their bored nap. The Numel's mouth opened wide, and a loud honking noise, almost like that of a truck, escaped her lips. Gaining confidence from her first snore, another one was soon belted out with twice the force; it almost lead to Zulf falling to his feet. He righted himself soon, and was shot down by yet another powerful snore.

Eventually though, the snoring stopped. Zulf looked at the snoring Pokemon with a look of annoyance. He had a headache now...

His mind turned towards the slumbering Pokemon. More importantly, towards her dreams. Yet again he snuck into her mind, finding himself in another volcanic location. Now, Zulf himself was in the dream, burning up in the lava. The real Zulf was not impressed. With his small white arms, he tore the other version of himself, and ate it. It was a necessary sacrifice; he could not stand to see himself get hurt any longer.

The Numel swore and snorted, yet again angry at her dreams being disturbed. Suddenly, the whole place started to crack, and soon shattered.

Zulf was thrown out of the Numel's mind, and Melancholy's eyes shot open, and then lowered. Right, that's how it was going to be. If she couldn't get into her happy place in her dreams, she was going to make this arena her happy place.

The dancing started quickly. Zulf watched in utter confusion as the Numel started clapping her hooves together and humming a very energetic tune. Almost in time with the music, the sandstorm came on, swirling in time with the music. Melancholy smiled as she danced; at last, she was happy.

Zulf frowned as the sand blew right through him, some ending up in his eye. He brushed the grains out of his eye with annoyance and looked at the sky. Yep, this was far too much. And his headache was back too. He started dancing as well, a different sort of dance that didn't seem nearly as energetic. He seemed to swirl through the sand, glowing a faint blue as he started humming to himself. The sandstorm was soon washed away by a rainstorm, and then finally, the sand was nothing more than mud on the ground. Zulf could almost see a tear in the Numel's eye, and grinned. It made him happy to ruin her day.

Melancholy sniffed, the water dripping off her nose. She'll show him...she'll show him that a little bit of rain won't crush her dreams. She stomped on the ground angrily, ranting and raving about how unfair it was that she spent the entire battle asleep, and was still more tired for it!

Zulf laughed, glad to see that he was breaking her emotionally. He continued to chuckle, until he noticed a slight rumbling noise underneath him. He looked down curiously, and was suddenly launched in the air. Melancholy laughed as the Ralts went flying, screaming bloody murder until her finally touched the ground with a bump. Sadly, the rain had stopped pretty much all of the firey impact of the attack, but the bruise on Zulf's behind was still nasty. He muttered to himself; he'd show her how to throw a Pokemon around.

And so he did. Waving his arms in the air, he lifted the laughing Numel into the air and tossed her against the ground several times. The rain didn't even seem to stop the impact as the Numel squelched repeatedly in the mud. Life was not going her way at all at the moment; she thought when she was finally left, covered in mud and bruises. Her only good fortune seemed to be in one of the shields Zulf had up fading suddenly.

Dragon
Numel
Melancholy (F) Oblivious (Lucky egg)
Health: 33%
Energy: 44%
Stockpiled 15% energy
Has forgotten fire blast.
Pumped up (has higher chance of crits)
+1 defence +3 special defence

Commands: Snore~Sandstorm~Lava plume

Sangfroidish
Ralts
Zulf (m) Synchronise (Dawn stone)
Health: 68%
Energy: 60%
Has a light screen up, (lasts 1 more action)
-1 speed

Commands: Dream eater~Rain dance~Psyshock

Calculations:
Snore: 5% damage 4% energy
Dream eater: 9% damage 4% energy

Sandstorm: 5% energy

1 damage from sandstorm

Rain dance: 5% energy

Lava plume: 3 % damage 4% energy (light screen halves the damage)

Psyshock: 11% damage 3% energy

Notes:

There is a small, smouldering pillar of almost cooled down rock.
It is raining for 3 more actions.
I feel like Melancholy is taking too much damage to be honest. I think it's the dawnstone working though.

Sangfroidish to make commands next.

Last edited:
Miniumum and maximum durations? I go by 3-5 actions normally, as that's how it works in the games. Maybe that's a little small in hindsight?

For the stage dropping, I give it a 1/10 chance. Loud moves would raise the chances to 5/10, I'd think.
3-5 actions is about right.

Again, nothing to really pull you up on here, except that I'm not quite seeing how you're arriving at 12% for Psyshock. Either I'm missing something or I can't seem to make it any higher than 11%. Could you post your calcs for that move for me?

Ah, I forgot to take 1 off, due to the defence I think. I'll go fix it.

8 base
10 with stab
-1 with defence
+2 dawn stone

Okay, we're good to move on.

First, let's set up a Future Sight. Then give her a couple of Body Slams and hope for paralysis. If she protects or is hiding underground, Calm Mind.

Future Sight ~ Body Slam/Calm Mind ~ Body Slam/Calm Mind

I feel like Melancholy is taking too much damage to be honest.

Don't worry, that doesn't have to do with your calculations! That's just me being.. terrible...

You know what, Mel, we're kind of in a sticky spot and I dunno if we can close this gap without doing some hair-splitting math, but I don't wanna do math. So let's just relax and focus on doing Shenanigans instead!

Use Rock Tomb to trap Zulf so he can't hit you with Body Slam. Focus more on immobilization than damage, if you can! He's pretty small, so it shouldn't be too hard to pin him down. Then, fill the spaces in the Rock Tomb with a good Lava Plume (try to not blast him into the sky, since that's something you might be able to consciously control?). Finish with another Rock Tomb to keep him nice and locked up tight in there. With all the lava.

If he escapes at any point use Rock Tomb again to seal him in, then Lava Plume on the next action.

Rock Tomb ~ Lava Plume / Rock Tomb ~ Rock Tomb / Lava Plume

Back
Top Bottom