• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Question Box

As a move category, yes. As a status-causing move (e.g. paralysis, poison, etc.), no. I would consider it in the same category as Attract, Torment, Curse, etc.

I swear I've seen a prior ruling on this but I can't find it with the search function so I guess I'd better ask instead of assuming.

For a Pokemon with confusion/paralysis/infatuation, is it correct to say that once I, the ref, have rolled the failure chance for the move they're trying to execute, the Pokemon can't back out and use a different move instead based on what that failure roll was?

(To be more specific: Is the command "Do X, but if you're fully confused/paralyzed/immobilized by love, do Y instead" ever going to be able to result in the Pokemon trying to do Y? My instinct is no, but I want to make sure.)

How much longer does Solar Beam take to charge under rain/sand/hail, or is it just forced into two actions? Somewhat relatedly, if a Pokemon is charging a move, can it bail and use a different move instead on the next action? (like Razor Wind (charge) ~ Tackle or something.) What if the charging action is at the end of a round?

When moves with a semi-invulnerable turn like Dig and Fly are used in a single action, how does that semi-invulnerability work? (Can a Pokemon that will move before its opponent automatically dodge all three of its foe's attacks and still get in three attacks of its own by going Dig ~ Dig ~ Dig?)

How much longer does Solar Beam take to charge under rain/sand/hail, or is it just forced into two actions? Somewhat relatedly, if a Pokemon is charging a move, can it bail and use a different move instead on the next action? (like Razor Wind (charge) ~ Tackle or something.) What if the charging action is at the end of a round?

No to the second in either case (reference).

When moves with a semi-invulnerable turn like Dig and Fly are used in a single action, how does that semi-invulnerability work? (Can a Pokemon that will move before its opponent automatically dodge all three of its foe's attacks and still get in three attacks of its own by going Dig ~ Dig ~ Dig?)

Yes, you can use dig to dodge and attack and then pop back up to attack yourself. (I am not sure how one-action Dig would actually work if it wasn't commanded to be used to dodge.) You can't just go on doing that forever, though; see here.

Can a Pokemon be commanded to chill if they are fully paralyzed? Based on the question JackPK asked earlier, my guess would be no?

Can a Pokemon be commanded to chill if they are fully paralyzed? Based on the question JackPK asked earlier, my guess would be no?

If you're asking about the conditional "if you're fully paralyzed, then Chill" then no, that wouldn't fly. If you mean the Pokémon has been commanded to Chill and rolls for paralysis, different refs have different ways of handling Chill during status conditions like paralysis.

To clear up the first: I'm not aware of any actual precedent, but it seems to me that rain/sand/hail does as it does in the games, cutting Solar Beam's power instead of affecting its charge length.

To clear up the first: I'm not aware of any actual precedent, but it seems to me that rain/sand/hail does as it does in the games, cutting Solar Beam's power instead of affecting its charge length.

The description does say it takes longer to charge in bad weather as well as having its power cut in half.

Also, in the games, it does affect their charge length (and, afaik, doesn't affect their power): two charge turns in bad weather, no charge turn in sun.

Also, in the games, it does affect their charge length (and, afaik, doesn't affect their power): two charge turns in bad weather, no charge turn in sun.

Really? Bulbapedia says the opposite: its power is halved in bad weather, but there's no mention of charge turns.

Yeah I was under the impression that it went like this:

Sun: 120 power, no charge.

No weather: 120 power, one-turn charge.

Hail, Rain, Sand: 60 power, one-turn

To reproduce that in ASB, one-turn Solar Beam could be made impossible in bad weather.

I very distinctly remember seeing a three-turn Solar Beam??? This may have been back in, like, GSC or something. Now I wanna test it...

Does Avalanche still have its base power doubled if the user's Substitute took damage that action?

edit: just tested Solarbeam in BW in the rain and it took just one turn to charge as normal.

Last edited:
Is it still okay to put the ref, winner and loser tags on finished battles? I kinda liked that, since it made things easier to find, but nobody seems to be doing it at the moment.

Yeah, go ahead. Battle histories are now also shown in the database (though not reffing histories yet), so you'd be able to find, say, all the battles someone's won anyway, but there's nothing wrong with tagging stuff anyway.

Back
Top Bottom