• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Black & White English names

I still don't like Deerling that much, but at least it's easier to say/spell that Shikijika.

Sap Sipper is probably the funniest-named ability so far X)

I rather like the English names! I'm quite fond of the staters + evolutions names, especially Snivy's line. I'm not exactly enjoying Herdier's name (if I'm pronouncing it correctly, it's sounds too much like hurr durr, and I can't take stuff like that seriously) al that much, but I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough. Woobat and Swoobat are... Well, they're not too creative, but I like them. I prefer Bachuru over Joltik, however. And I absolutely LOVE the name Cubchoo, it's adorable! And Braviary is a wonderful name, I really love it.

I really do like these names. There are a few in which I'm "meh" about, but surely I'll develop a liking for them when the game comes out in America.

So Deerling's French name, as revealed today, is...

Vivaldaim. "Daim" being a word for "deer"; two minutes of Wikipedia suggests that it specifically refers to deer of the dama genus, which are fallow deer in English. But yeah, more or less Vivaldeer.

This is absolutely brilliant. Much as I like this gen's English names, I really wish the English localizers would take a leaf from the French team's book.

Vivaldeer = best name

(Generally speaking the French names just sound pretty, though I'm quite okay without "elecsprint".)

I like Sawk's name... I'm getting one and calling him Sock to pair up with a Throh called Throh Up... Weird inside joke with my sister :3

But yeah, I like pretty much all the English names. I purposely didn't learn the Japanese names so the English ones didn't sound weird to me when I first heard them!

We complained gen IV. We got used to it.
We complain now. We'll get used to it.
We'll complain in the future. We'll eventually get used to those.

+ Gavantula is epic, as well as Voltik. 'nough said.

EDIT 1: Tirtouga = Epic LOLZ

EDIT 2: Alomomola = Girafarig

As bizarre as Generation V's names are thought to be, I'm of the opinion that they're not half-bad to me and that they could have been much, much worse.

I'll give them a B- out of A, I suppose. They could have been better but some of the puns are admittedly very clever and I can't hold it against the localization team for trying.

I love the English names. I think Volcarona is the best name ever. The only ones I don't like are Sawsbuck, Deerling, Ducklett, Throh and Sawk.

Been gone a couple days, but I have updated the list of English names. I will now put a line to indicate what the latest names are that have been revealed. Later I will have an online list with all of the leaked names that will display the picture of the pokémon when you hover over the name.

I have my opinions about some names:
Servine: I didn't know it served anyone.
Serperior: The end of the name sounds too masculine for a feminine-looking Pokémon. Jalorda at least ended with "a". Well, at least it's better than Meganium.
Samurott: Is it supposed to be rotting?
Stoutland: A Pokémon with a name like that should resemble a landscape.
Unfezant: Isn't a fez that Turkish hat that looks like a flower pot?
Throh and Sawk: Just weird.
Lilligant: More like Rafflegant.
Krokorok: See Throh and Sawk.
Carracosta: Sounds cool.
Minccino: Better than Chillarmy. That sounded like an army of something chilling.
Karrablast: Its only special move is Bug Buzz, so why does it have "Blast" in its name?
Escavalier: If it wasn't a bug, it would be a great rival for Gallade. You know, it's a knight like Gallade and has an entirely French name like Gardevoir.
Haxorus: Is it supposed to be a hacker?
Deino sequence: Seems like someone from Nintendo thinks that all Germans are evil.
Thundurus: To many "u"s.

Last edited:
Serperior: The end of the name sounds too masculine for a feminine-looking Pokémon. Jalorda at least ended with "a". Well, a least it's better than Meganium.
Wait, how does that sound masculine, and how does Serperior look feminine?

Wait, how does that sound masculine, and how does Serperior look feminine?

It ends with "or", which is masculine enough. And about looking feminine... Now I don't consider it to look extremely feminine, but it still has the kind of appearance that makes it likely to appear as a female in the anime (in other words, it's beautiful). At least they could give it a more neutral name. Not something as crazy as Meganium, but maybe something ending with some plant- or snake-related word. Ending with "or" is a bit strange.

It ends with "or", which is masculine enough. And about looking feminine... Now I don't consider it to look extremely feminine, but it still has the kind of appearance that makes it likely to appear as a female in the anime (in other words, it's beautiful). At least they could give it a more neutral name. Not something as crazy as Meganium, but maybe something ending with some plant- or snake-related word. Ending with "or" is a bit strange.

The "Serp" part is the part you're looking for in relation to a snake.

My own personal opinion, I think it simply looks regal, as its classification would imply. I don't see any real favor to one gender over the other. The "-perior" portion of its name is also neutral, denoting general superiority, something either a man or a woman can have relative to someone else.

Serperior is based off of frenc royalty, look at how they dressed themselves, even the kings, and you'll better understand Serp's appearance.

Back
Top Bottom