• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestion Box

... Also, while we're on stones, looking at the dawn/shiny/dusk stones:

Dawn said:
Raises moves' final damage by 2% as long as the holder has more than 66% health. Helps certain Pokémon evolve.
Shiny said:
Lowers incoming moves' accuracy by 5%. Helps certain Pokémon evolve.
Dusk said:
Raises damaging moves' final damage by 2% as long as the holder has 33% health or less. Helps certain Pokémon evolve.

They're basically a trio, but the shiny stone's effect is completely different. (And kind of obnoxious because accuracyhax. Accuracyhax is not fun.) Could we change shiny's effect to "Raises damaging moves' final damage by 2% as long as the holder is between 66% and 33% health." ? It has nice symmetry and fills in the missing effect.

it's 5% accuracyhax

I'm not sure that'd be necessary anyway -- the stones are from the same generation, but Dawn and Dusk are a clear pair, while Shiny isn't exactly connected.

;_;

Splitting the effect makes it a lot less useful, though, since you can't get both the damage and energy benefits at the same time and generally there's very little reason to switch between the two types. Each stone as it is has basically one effect (+1%/-1% for a single type, lowering accuracy, raising all move's final damage): this may be "simple," but it still has two distinct ones that don't interact with each other at all. They're just random and... there. And really, fairy damage/normal energy? Fairy has almost no damaging attacks...

+1% damage/-1% energy for normal and moon moves, please. :( For fairy boosts, we can just add in the polkadot bow?

Or! Alternative idea that I just thought of and particularly like:

To parallel the sun stone, "Restores 1% of the user's health and energy after each action during no weather." Only 1% because no weather is the default state for most battles, but this is comparable with leftovers (+1% health after each action), slightly more expensive than it (and can be made more expensive if necessary, plus the item is consumed when you evolve something with it), and the benefits are preventable if weather is in place (which prevents it from being a strictly better leftovers if you want to spam weather-boosted moves - it allows your opponent to mess with the item while boosting their own weather-based moves). I like this idea a lot now, actually.

Thaaaat is true and I totally didn't think of it that way. Damn. I do love the weather thing... I'm gonna sit on it for a bit and probably go with either the weather thing, or old effect plus moon moves. (The Polka-Dot Bow is gonna be a thing either way.)

res said:
did ... did a radical change to exp rewards just get executed over 20min while I was eating with only echo-chamber support, what the hell

if changes (obviously wrong things excepted) are going to get made on that kind of timescale that kind of mildly wrecks the point of an open suggestion box

lucky egg mechanics is indeed borked but the 2 exp per KO thing makes 2v2 doubles an effective means of achieving 5-exp evolutions. given that exp basically does nothing other than officially boosting damage at 4 and 8 (... and tbh even I will admit it should probably stay that way), that is not at all broken.

if you're going to make that change you should also reduce basically all 5 exp evolutions to either 4 or 3 exp; most 4 exp evolutions also seem kind of excessive and should be dropped down to 3 exp.

until that's worked out, I strongly recommend revert.

I would hardly call this a radical change. It makes things a little easier if you're not the greatest battler. If you are a good battler, it will make no difference, unless you're in the habit of picking double battles against people who are below your level by a wide enough margin that you can micromanage your KOs, and like I said before, discouraging that is a good thing. I say this having done just that before — I have a Scolipede who has been in one (1) battle. In fact, iirc, that was the battle that prompted Negrek to change double battle exp from "both of your Pokémon get the exp if they're both still out" to "whoever actually scores the KO gets the exp".

5 exp is intentionally a high threshold for two-stagers; being able to achieve it in one battle is kind of ridiculous. You can still get it in two battles with at least one KO.

For another example, this new effect means that a 9-exp Pokémon will usually take three or four battles; five if you lose every single time. The old effect makes it three to nine, but also lets you get a Tyranitar in two if you cheese a couple of double battles, which is just as ridiculous. It also raises the stakes a bunch and, as surskitty said, that makes things a lot more stressful.

It's a small tweak and one of the elite refs on the team went "oh, yeah, that makes total sense, why doesn't it already work like that", and there's nothing stopping us from tweaking it again if someone brings up a good point like Mai just did. Why wouldn't I go ahead and change it? Giving every tweak heavy consideration sounds like a pain to me. We've taken several pages trying to hammer down the Moon Stone for crying out loud.

Mai said:
... Also, while we're on stones, looking at the dawn/shiny/dusk stones:

They're basically a trio, but the shiny stone's effect is completely different. (And kind of obnoxious because accuracyhax. Accuracyhax is not fun.) Could we change shiny's effect to "Raises damaging moves' final damage by 2% as long as the holder is between 66% and 33% health." ? It has nice symmetry and fills in the missing effect.
Yeah I'm totally in favour of this. 5% accuracy hax is at the same time not that useful to the holder but totally aggravating to constantly deal with.

Last edited:
it's 5% accuracyhax

I'm not sure that'd be necessary anyway -- the stones are from the same generation, but Dawn and Dusk are a clear pair, while Shiny isn't exactly connected.

Shiny is the in-between time! The sun is shining from dawn until dusk!

Shiny is pretty clearly connected with the dusk stone, at least - in Japanese, dusk/shiny/dawn is actually dark/light/awakening. Plus, shiny and dusk both cause four pokemon to evolve, two retconned in evolutions, one from the fifth gen, and one from the sixth gen. Meanwhile, dawn does the gender-based evolutions of snorunt and kirlia. It's a bit weird, but it's easiest to count them as a trio. Minimal hax that way.

Also... bright powder already exists, for hax.

Shiny is the in-between time! The sun is shining from dawn until dusk!

Shiny is pretty clearly connected with the dusk stone, at least - in Japanese, dusk/shiny/dawn is actually dark/light/awakening. Plus, shiny and dusk both cause four pokemon to evolve, two retconned in evolutions, one from the fifth gen, and one from the sixth gen. Meanwhile, dawn does the gender-based evolutions of snorunt and kirlia. It's a bit weird, but it's easiest to count them as a trio. Minimal hax that way.

Also... bright powder already exists, for hax.
... Oh, huh, so much time wasted spent nerding over original jp names in Pokémon and I never knew this. And yeah, I guess that's fair enough in regards to Bright Powder. So I guess I wouldn't really mind the change.

By analogy with the new lucky egg, can the soothe bell also give an extra point of happiness when sent out rather than just setting the minimum to two? That way if it scores KOs it gets another happiness point.

HmmmMMMmmMMm I liked them being slightly different, flavour-wise, but I guess it doesn't make sense to leave the Zen Bell strictly worse. So, yeah, makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Suggestion: Autotomize should cause a frame shift in speed or something rather than just a stat boost (so default +2, and it goes from -4 to +8); an alternative way of thinking about it is +20 (or whatever) base speed à la light metal, since some refs assign different values to a stage of speed increase.

It's kind different from the other speed-raising moves and it only works once per battle, and its final effect is somewhat similar to light metal in flavour in that it has half the weight so it's faster. This isn't really something that you'd normally consider reversible.

You should put a thumbnail icon on the asb database. My bookmarks bar doesn't have any text, only icons, and the database's lack of one is the only thing stopping me from putting it there.

Suggestion: Autotomize should cause a frame shift in speed or something rather than just a stat boost (so default +2, and it goes from -4 to +8); an alternative way of thinking about it is +20 (or whatever) base speed à la light metal, since some refs assign different values to a stage of speed increase.

It's kind different from the other speed-raising moves and it only works once per battle, and its final effect is somewhat similar to light metal in flavour in that it has half the weight so it's faster. This isn't really something that you'd normally consider reversible.
In-game Autotomize actually works with regular stat stages, it's just the weight-changing part that's a single-time deal. You can use subsequent times in order to keep gaining Speed without continuing to lose weight. (which, granted, is nonsense...)

everything with autotomize has rock polish except for skarmory (which has agility), and the honedge and vanillish lines. the later has icy wind, I guess? eh it's not a huge deal

Regarding the ASB version my argument still applies. The one-time deal of autotomize makes more sense in ASB so that should still be kept and everything.

You should put a thumbnail icon on the asb database. My bookmarks bar doesn't have any text, only icons, and the database's lack of one is the only thing stopping me from putting it there.

Eeee I'll make a tiny thumbnail :D

EDIT: Choose one!

wfnAsfh.png
QbXbnrk.png
TZZ816C.png
kZNECs8.png
JSXft5H.png

Last edited:
Eeee I'll make a tiny thumbnail :D

EDIT: Choose one!

wfnAsfh.png
QbXbnrk.png
TZZ816C.png
kZNECs8.png
JSXft5H.png

I think Volcarona would be most appropriate, given its place in the banner, or Ralts, being the single most common Pokémon in the league at the moment. (I vote Charizard out of those, though)

Would anyone else support lowering the exp requirements for Slowbro's evolution? As of right now, it's straight up inferior to Slowking, which evolves in one battle for the same speed and movepool, and you can't plausibly get 4 exp in a similar timespan. Maybe change it to 2/3 exp or be out in battle against/alongside Shellder?

If anyone was curious what a volcarona one would look like:
DKqs5jA.png

I agree, it's not ideal. For the record, my vote is with joltik as well.

Would anyone else support lowering the exp requirements for Slowbro's evolution? As of right now, it's straight up inferior to Slowking, which evolves in one battle for the same speed and movepool, and you can't plausibly get 4 exp in a similar timespan. Maybe change it to 2/3 exp or be out in battle against/alongside Shellder?

In the case of the latter mantyke should be able to evolve after a single battle alongside a remoraid (which is how it was in the old ASB iirc), or just with a remoraid in the active squad. That version is actually supported by the games too.

Back
Top Bottom