• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pokemon X/Y

Also, what's wrong with girly looking Pokèmon? Yes, the Pokèmon seen so far don't have much competitive use, but of course Game Freak will add a couple of really strong Fairy types. Hell, outside of Faries just look at Pokèmon like Lilligant. Its design is heavily based off of Princess Peach - it's also one of the best grass types with killer Sp. Atk, Butterfly Dance, and Own Tempo Petal Dance.

Also, Fae on legends are not cute. They kidnap children, pull pranks on you, and have refered to many magical creatures. Even Tinkerbell flat out tried to murder a little girl in jealousy. Previously, Normal was the girly type. But it also had raging bulls. Grass has Pokèmon covered in flowers; it has evil cacti. Psychic has elegant ladies and ugly fox things. Fire has beautiful kitsune and ugly camels. Fairy will have the same variety, at least eventually.

Also, why would anime cries be enough to break the game for you? It's such a minor detail. I'd rather have those than 8-bit screeches next to more advanced DS cries.

Last edited:
so excited for these games, i don't even. they look like XD/coliseum which were awesome games.

i feel like this is what they should've done with BW (though i understand why they couldn't). 5th gen felt too cluttered for a 2D pokemon game.

Fairy will have the same variety, at least eventually.

which is why I'll be reeeeally disappointed if mawile turns out to not be it. creepy metal fairies with jaws out the back of their heads: great.

it's pretty silly to call some types "poorly-defined" when they're just...... types... there's no background to them. fairy seems like a genuinely interesting concept because like hopeandjoy said, there's a huge variety to the idea, so!

meanwhile, we STILL get fire pokemon with fire on their tails. we get it. fire-types are all about fire. it's a defining feature. ok. gotcha.

Also, questions do not end with a string of exclamation marks, no matter how loud you're screaming them at strangers over the Internet.

mind blown thanks!!!!!

One thing that people haven't mentioned much is that there are menu icons below all of the PSS stuff on the touch screen.

There's no run button, but at least always up menu seems to be back.

PSS-3DS-lower-screen-screenshot.jpg

It appears to be Team, Pokédex, Bag, Trainer Card, Save, Options

! Huh! :o Wow, customisation really is extensive.

Maybe the only thing I completely hate is the fonts and text windows (especially that gross white window, maybe used in battle?) So blocky and ugly. :C It looks like RSE font, but more dull.

It's does! Everything except eye color, it seems. (look at all the similar skin types, they all have the same eye colors)

Since 3DS friends are automatically added to PSS when the game boots, do you think that people who already have 3DSes should start friending each other? (no it's not because otherwise my PSS will be ridiculously lonely)

If you have PSS on, you can see anyone around you on local wireless (and Wi-Fi if you have it enabled, I think) on the Passersby row. If you interact once, they become an Acquaintance. If you interact twice, they become your Friend. (You can also choose up to 100 Friends to be your favorites).

So basically, ease of access to people you have interacted with/will interact with.

EDIT: Main website has been updated with CoroCoro info. New trailer with new info.

Last edited:
I like "scatterbug." It's just two words smashed together again, but at least they're good words. It has a nice rhythm; fun to say.

"Talonflame" is just bad because it's a clunky, cumbersome name. Emphasis in a bad place and so on.

I like Scatterbug more than I like Talonflame. I wonder if this region is going to have intermittent names that are structured like those, it would give an interesting take on language differences between the regions.

Although at that point you have to wonder why Marill is still called Marill in Kalos and not Bubblemouse

Reactions: Mai
maybe it's due to the fact it's being released globally, so the localisation team haven't had as much time to be as quirky as they usually are?

I don't really understand the complaint that fairy is "too vague" to be a type. Not liking the concept, okay, fine, that's your opinion; type only being inserted for balance purposes, that's a valid annoyance and I agree that we could've done without an extra type just for the sake of an extra type. After all, dragon is definitely very good, but it's not broken the way Gen I psychic was broken. But fairy is automatically bad type material just because dark and dragon (and ghost, and several others) are? The simple fact that dark and the others are types in the first place means that it's something that's totally kosher within Pokémon's world. They have never once claimed to be working toward a system that is strictly derived from the classical elements and a few "logical" offshoots, or whatever it is you're looking for because I'm not entirely sure (please feel free to correct me).

Sure, it's possible to move beyond earth-water-fire-air and what have you without using "vague" types, and sure, it's weird when you compare it to other games, but that's not what they've chosen to do. It's not like this is anything new; it's not like it's anything that should surprise you or that you should be dying to see them avoid. Why is it such a horrible horrible disappointment that fairy would be "vague" when it's honestly just par for the course?

In non- fairy– or new-name–bashing news, look they went through the roundtable videos and found shiny gogoat!
tumblr_mob0wtesPG1rib7oxo1_500.gif

regular gogoat for comparison
Z
may_p8_3.jpg

Last edited:
I guess I'm just gonna give my harshly critical opinions now.
Fairy: If there's a Fairy/Ice or a Fairy/Dragon, I will jump into Spikes and Stealth Rocks.
PSS: More advanced than the C-Gear. I'm liking it.
Sky battles: Doesn't seem to different to regular battles.
Hoard encounters: That moment when you're searching for a specific Pokemon, and then you find 5 of 'em in 1 go. Gotta hurt just a little.
Noivern: Looks ugly, could be usable.
Viillion and pre-volutions: Generic Bug-types are generic.
Spewpa: I think Pokemon was drunk when this happened.
Crustacean-thing: Looks ok. A blue Krabby is always nice.
Flecthling evo: Niiiiiiiice.

My birthday's coming up in a month and I told my mom I want a 3DS. If I don't get one I will be DISAPPOINTED.

I also decided that I would get Y after seeing the box legendaries for the first time. Yveltal looks wicked cool.

I just hope this Fairy type doesn't take me too long to wrap my head around. I can tell it'll screw me over the first time I send out a Ralts or something thinking that it's still pure Psychic :/

Also, why would anime cries be enough to break the game for you? It's such a minor detail.

It's anime-crap infecting the games. The anime and the games should be kept as separate as possible. Minor references (like an event Pokémon having a move it can only use in the anime) or specifically anime-based games (like Yellow... and even that was still more similar to the main games than it was to the anime) are okay every now and then, but changing a major thing of how the main-series games work to resemble the anime for no good reason? No way.

The games have always been pretty consistent that most Pokémon do not repeat their names over and over to speak; they growl and screech and squawk and make various other weird sounds just like regular animals (with a few exceptions here and there... which is why I'm okay with if it's just Pikachu getting the anime sounds. NPC Pikachus in the games have always repeated parts of their name when you talk to them, unlike most other Pokémon, so it's not JUST an anime thing in that case.)
It's only the anime that portrays the vast majority of all Pokémon as repeating parts of their name over and over to speak.

I'd rather have those than 8-bit screeches next to more advanced DS cries.

Instead of throwing out the cries entirely and sticking anime-crap where it doesn't belong, they could just update the older cries a bit to not stand out so much next to the more recent ones. Pokémon Stadium had a lot of the cries redone and sounding pretty different from the Gameboy games' 8-bit versions, so it wouldn't even be the first time they've done something like that.

In this trailer, I can hear Snorlax doing its game cry in Pokémon-amie, so there's that!

Also, in the beginning there's the original hyper beam sound effect!

Back
Top Bottom