• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Best Early "Rodent" Pokemon?

Which "rodent" is the BEST rodent?

• Rattata/Raticate

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Sentret/Furret*

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Zigzagoon/Linoone*

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Bidoof/Bibarel

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters
Pikachu is not an early rodent. Poochyena and Mightyena are. Fix poll plz.

So them. Rattata/Raticate are cool and actually I don't particularly hate any of them but Poochyena and Mightyena because I said so.

Mmm... If you want to get technical about it, then you should know you are wrong.

Poochyena/Mightyena are NOT rodents. They are based on DOGS.
Notice how "pooch" is in Poochyena's name? *hint hint*

And, Pikachu is technically an "early rodent". It is found before you reach the first Gym Leader, which makes it an "early rodent".

As for my vote...

Sandshrew is my all time favorite Pokèmon ever (aside from Yanmega and Shuckle). But since he's not on the list, I guess my vote goes to Sentret/Furret.

If you want to get really technical, they are striped hyenas sans the stripes. Not dogs. I know perfectly well that they are not rodents; neither are Zigzagoon, Linoone, Sentret or Furret. I thought that everyone understood that that's how the term was being used. >>; If it were actually in the poll it would be one of the options with an asterisk by it, no? I'm a little offended that you'd single me out and say "but they're not rodents" when you don't complain to everyone who voted for Sentret/Zigzagoon/whatever. Including you; you didn't seem to feel the need to clarify with "I know they're not rodents, but I like..."

Pikachu was not intended to fill an "early rodent" role, not insofar as Rattata and the others were, anyway. Poochyena is far closer to that. Pikachu is rare; "early rodents" are supposed to be so common you want to tear out your hair. It's an early game treat as opposed to an irritant like Rattata.

Last edited:
The weather conditions Sandstorm and Hail and Ghost Pokemon do mess things up, but if I can use Endeavor before it gets knocked out by the weather, I consider it a success. All I have to do is send out my fastest Pokemon next and have it knock out the remaining Pokemon with 1 to 11 HP in one blow before I am damaged. I made the Rattata just to battle my friends who would never see it coming.

Oh, Pikachu is the "Mouse Pokemon" ,so it is a rodent if you want to get technical. It isn't one of those really common Pokemon though, so I don't know if it should be included in this poll. Well, I always make a point to catch one at the begining of the game, it is very useful at Misty's gym. I also used it in other places, and in Fire Red even evolved it and used it against the Elite Four. After more thought, you typically don't wind up using early rodent Pokemon against the Elite Four, but in Emerald the first guy has a Mightyena in his team.

This could be argued about all day.

Poochyena and Mightyena do need to be added, and Pikachu probably needs to go away. It sticks out of the crowd.

Last edited:
>.> I added Pikachu because, before the forums got wiped, everybody was bitching about Pikachu NOT being on the poll...

Now people bitch about it being on the poll... >.< I would have put, "Best Early Pure Normal Type" but the damned Bibarel kind of wrecked that idea...

...And now I just realized I could have put, "Best Early Mammal Pokemon" and made everybody happy... x.x Somebody please shoot me x.x

T.T Ok, I am going to get opinions first before asking a mod to do this to make sure that the majority will be happy.

If I edited the Title to say, "Best Early Mammal Pokemon" and a Mod edited the Poll so it would say this:

Rattata/Raticate
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Sandshrew/Sandslash
Sentret/Furret
Zigzagoon/Linoone
Poochyena/Mightyena
Bidoof/Bibarel
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray

Then would everybody be happy? (Note: Pikachu counts because it is a freaking mammal/rodent that is early on in the game. So is Shinx. Nidoran family, Jigglypuff family, and Clefairy family do not count as they seem to lack real-life counterparts. Mankey family does not count as it is an abomination compared to the others. The others are not hybrids at least (Shinx... perhaps, but it resembles lions and other big cats closely enough)

That would probably be a lot better.

Sorry Kratos; I was a little bit mad about something that happened earlier today, and I guess I took it out here. (And I kinda forgot about that part, with the whole asterisk thing.) Honestly. I hope I didn't make you feel...er...well...angry.

And besides, I'd rather have someone like me than someone hate me.

I don't think anyone was really "bitching", Icalasari (although I still stand by the statement that Poochyena and Mightyena fit the role better than the Pikachu line if you're going by the strict definition of "Rattata clones that annoy the hell out of people"). People will find something else to mention even if you edit the poll; stuff like Cyndaquil was suggested last time, and no one was particularly serious about that being added. Perhaps some of us have a stricter definition of "early rodent/mammal" than others, but it doesn't really matter. *shrug*

For the record, I define them as two-stage Pokémon lines that not only appear early in the game but appear relatively frequently for at least the first few routes with evolutions that also appear somewhat frequently afterward; they also have to have relatively low stat totals. Rattata/Raticate, Sentret/Furret (well, Furret really isn't common at all but it was intended to be a Rattata clone), Zigzagoon/Linoone, Poochyena/Mightyena and Bidoof/Bibarel all fit that criteria; Pikachu, Shinx and the others don't (something fairly powerful like Luxray wasn't meant to be haetcannon fodder, after all). But if you don't define it that way then whatever.

It's not that big a deal, Vrai Espoir; I'm rather distracted and not in the brightest mood myself. No hard feelings.

I don't think anyone was really "bitching", Icalasari (although I still stand by the statement that Poochyena and Mightyena fit the role better than the Pikachu line if you're going by the strict definition of "Rattata clones that annoy the hell out of people"). People will find something else to mention even if you edit the poll; stuff like Cyndaquil was suggested last time, and no one was particularly serious about that being added. Perhaps some of us have a stricter definition of "early rodent/mammal" than others, but it doesn't really matter. *shrug*

It's not that big a deal; I'm rather distracted and not in the brightest mood myself. No hard feelings.

None taken. In fact, I would have added Poochyena and Mightyena if they were Rodentesque (sort of the criteria I was using for the poll. That STILL does not include the Nido line, as Nidoking/Nidoqueen are NOT rodentesque).

Also, Sandshrew wasn't included due to being version exclusive, if anybody was wondering.

The "no hard feelings" was directed at Vrai Espoir, as I clarifed in the later edit; I certainly didn't mean to direct any at you, either, though. ^^;

T.T Ok, I am going to get opinions first before asking a mod to do this to make sure that the majority will be happy.

If I edited the Title to say, "Best Early Mammal Pokemon" and a Mod edited the Poll so it would say this:

Rattata/Raticate
Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu
Sandshrew/Sandslash
Sentret/Furret
Zigzagoon/Linoone
Poochyena/Mightyena
Bidoof/Bibarel
Shinx/Luxio/Luxray

Then would everybody be happy? (Note: Pikachu counts because it is a freaking mammal/rodent that is early on in the game. So is Shinx. Nidoran family, Jigglypuff family, and Clefairy family do not count as they seem to lack real-life counterparts. Mankey family does not count as it is an abomination compared to the others. The others are not hybrids at least (Shinx... perhaps, but it resembles lions and other big cats closely enough)
The only four that should be up there are Rattata/Raticate, Sentret/Furret, Zigzagoon/Linoone, and Bidoof/Bibarel.

I've always loved Rattata, since I've always thought it to be one of the cutest Pokemon, and Raticate, since it looks cool and I love its cry. And as Blaziking just said, you gotta love the classics!

Pikachu is not an early rodent. Poochyena and Mightyena are. Fix poll plz.

Pikachu line? Thanks for the inconsistency

Pikachu was not intended to fill an "early rodent" role, not insofar as Rattata and the others were, anyway. Poochyena is far closer to that.

The only four that should be up there are Rattata/Raticate, Sentret/Furret, Zigzagoon/Linoone, and Bidoof/Bibarel.

I fail to see how:

a) Mice are not rodents
b) Viridian Forest is not early

If you can disprove either of these facts, please do so.

Well then, can you disprove these statements?

Rabbits are rodents.
The grass just outside Viridian City is earlier than Viridian Forest.
Nidorans are supposed to be Rabbits.

If not, then why include the Pikachu line and not the Nidoran lines?

Back
Top Bottom