• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Teh LOLcat Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
they took a perfectly good and adorable meme, caturday, and ruined it. now it is fucking impossible to find a cute picture of a cat with or without a witty caption any more, because some idiot will be sure to show up and plaster a caption -- ANY caption -- on it in broken English, merely to perpetuate the meme. they don't understand why the language was broken in the first place or that it's not meant to be done constantly. there is no effort, there is no thought, there is no humor.

it's the same thing with motivational posters and failblog. you're supposed to either enhance or create humor with a clever caption, not just slap on the first thing that comes to mind because it's the cool thing to do.

it's cargo cult creativity. "someone else put text on this cat and it was funny, so if I do it too I'll be funny!" it's offensive that anyone thinks merely rendering text as gibberish will make it funny, and it's infuriating that the Web is swamped with this awful garbage and celebrated by masses of people with no taste. it's like the whole Web turned into thirteen-year-olds obsessed with monkey cheese, going around proclaiming their Random Whatever of Doom, not because it's actually funny or clever, but because everyone else is doing it and it's common knowledge that this should be funny and clever.

at least stupid youtube memes stay on youtube for the most part.

precisely!
this is why I wanted vee to explain it.
B)

funnytext2ip.jpg

So it's been overdone

Oh OK

Still don't understand the need to go off at people who like it though (but then there's a lot I don't understand)

and at least they spawned themselves and started out terrible instead of cannibalizing something wonderful
eh. "over 9000" wasn't all that amazing, but youtube poops have still cannibalized it

lololol if I fuck up this boring video clip in windows movie maker I will be internet popular

So it's been overdone
reading comprehension! it has forever ruined something awesome

Still don't understand the need to go off at people who like it though (but then there's a lot I don't understand)
I berate out of love, that someday you may discover what humor is actually like, rather than straining raw sewage through your head

nobody's going off at anyone.
we just choose to express our opinion louder than you choose to express your opinion.

we're not really even being loud; we just have a constructed point while you all just have an irrelevant tautology ("I like lolcats therefore I like lolcats okay") along with some recursive "why don't you explain YOURSELVES huh"

I berate out of love, that someday you may discover what humor is actually like, rather than straining raw sewage through your head

Consider the raw sewage the counter-example, this is the first step towards true humor. Know that which is not, that you may know what is.

Can't people just like the stuff they like?

You don't have to like it, or even respect it, but please, just tolerate it. As long as it doesn't hurt anyone, it SHOULD be fine.

Last edited:
tolerating things you are opposed to for no reason other than "other people like this" is kind of silly

Just like how some furverts wrecked the furry fandom. yeah, I guess.
the furry fandom is as fucked-up as it has ever been

nobody's going off at anyone.
we just choose to express our opinion louder than you choose to express your opinion
this is grand and is going in my sig even though I have sigs off

Can't people just like the stuff they like?

You don't have to like it, or like the fact that they like it, but please, just tolerate it.
I like telling people when the stuff they like is terrible

oh ho ho, now what!

the furry fandom is as fucked-up as it has ever been

this is grand and is going in my sig even though I have sigs off

I like telling people when the stuff they like is terrible

oh ho ho, now what!/QUOTE]

Well, I like telling people there's no need to be so smart-ass all the time. Mostly I don't because then I'm just as bad as them, but now...

And by the way, the furry thing was just an example.

Last edited:
image4xd1.png

this diagram may be helpful in your quest to understand our side

Well, I like telling people there's no need to be so smart-ass all the time.

So everybody's doing what they like. It's win-win!

Oh, hey, have you met Eevee? Maybe you should get to know him.

He knows what he's talking about, for the record. Ooh, I know it's scary talking to somebody who is *GASP* right, but, hey, the pain goes away eventually, right?

I never said I liked LOLcats (I am neutral, although some of them are funny - maybe those are the first ones that actually were funny, as I haven't seen that many), I just fail to see the need to attack without a given reason something harmless that you simply don't happen to like just because someone else happens to like it and/or think it interesting.
Racism isn't quite the same; it results in harm. LOLcats doesn't seem likely to result in anyone getting beaten up and/or killed.

Since you're now justifying it, I'm satisfied. Please, continue your discussion.

also there are non-activist racists. the kind of people that just don't go near anywhere black people are because they are inferior, but never actually hurt anyone. these folks are *still* silly and I am against them. ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom