• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

THE METAL THREAD (Metal Enthusiasts Only, Please) (Take 2)

Ether's Bane

future Singaporean
Pronoun
he
Original thread (2009? Fuck, how my tastes have changed since then)

original OP said:
I figured a general metal thread would be great for talking about our favorite bands and genres.

What kinds of metal are you guys into? My favorite metal sub-genre is symphonic metal, and I also enjoy power metal and thrash metal. I got into metal through classic 70's - 80's heavy metal, and I still listen to a number of those bands. I'm also slowly getting into melodic death metal, too.

(Also, if you count hair metal as a metal subgenre, which I don't, with the exception of the heavier hair metal bands such as Mötley Crüe and Skid Row, I guess you could include that, too. Though, I am, in fact, starting to get into Def Leppard, but they're certainly not metal.

List of metal bands I like (absolute favorites bold):

Amberian Dawn
Avantasia
Black Sabbath

Black Tide
Children of Bodom
DragonForce
Firewind
HammerFall
Helloween
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Megadeth
Metallica
Motörhead
Nightwish
Ozzy Osbourne (not a band, but I like his stuff)
Queensrÿche
Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire
Sabaton
Scorpions
Skid Row
Slayer
Stratovarius
Tarja (solo career)
Testament
Wintersun
Within Temptation
Yngwie Malmsteen (not a band either, but his stuff is great)

Last edited:
My favorite sub-genre of metal would definitely be progressive metal. After that I also listen to a lot of Doom Metal, Folk Metal, Thrash Metal, Avantgarde Metal, Sludge Metal, and classic Heavy Metal. To a lesser degree I also enjoy Death Metal and Power Metal. The only genre I really haven't been able to get into is Black Metal, and excepting a few bands (Blut Aus Nord, Agalloch), I really can't stand most Black Metal.

The bands I consider to be my favorites tend to be a blend of several different sub-genres. (Opeth, for example, blends death metal and progressive metal quite perfectly. Agalloch blends folk metal with doom and black metal and sounds beautiful.)

List of metal bands I like (absolute favorites bold):

Agalloch
Alcest
Apocalyptica
Animals as Leaders
Ayreon
Black Sabbath
Blut Aus Nord
Cult of Luna
Devin Townsend
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Dream Theater
Eluveitie
Ensiferum
Gojira
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Karnivool
Katatonia
Mastodon
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Metallica
Motörhead
My Dying Bride
Neurosis
Nevermore
Nightwish
Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Strapping Young Lad
Tool
Týr
Unexpect
Wintersun

I'm not much for caring about genre, but I do have a few favourite metal bands. There's probably a slight bias towards prog metal, but it's neither conscious nor personally significant:

Agalloch
Arch Enemy
Doomhawk
Fair to Midland
Mutiny Within
Oomph!
Praxis
Primus
Rammstein
Slipknot
System of a Down
Wolverine

Also, I like some industrial bands that kind of meander in and out of metal territory as they please:

Dope Stars Inc.
Marilyn Manson
Nine Inch Nails

If you disagree with my categorising any of the above as metal I...don't care.

Back
Top Bottom