• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Why does Ash give away his Pokemon?

Eishiba

I figured I'd just post here but I made a video of what Hitler thinks of Ash giving away all of his Pokemon. I didn't watch too far past the third generation of pokemon but Ash always had a knack for giving them away, which made me very mad. Does Ash not want them? He always complained about being behind and stuff but he lets them go anyways? Butterfree I can understand. Charizard? He chose to leave it. I'm sure Charizard would have rather stayed with Ash even if it wanted to be stronger like the rest of the Charizard. Pidgeot? He left it to protect the Pidgeys from Fearow. Seriously, you can't save every Pokemon from being a snack for another. Primeape? Obviously my favorite and I enjoyed the two episodes it existed. He won the tournament and put a family back together, and then he gives it to a loser from the tournament. How stupid! Hell he was even gonna let Pikachu go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdmOn0J_aM&list=UUJQZa8n-f8KP7hrC7SvcQGg&index=6&feature=plcp

Do we really have to have another thread about how awful of a trainer Ash is? Besides the fact that most people only remember him in Kanto and Johto (he did have minor character development people. Even if for some strange reason the writers made him get rid of Gliscor last season.), how many threads of this do you people need? We get it, most people here don't like the anime. Can we move on please?

Well if the best for his Pokémon is not to stay with him, that shows how good of a trainer he is... [/sarcasm]

I've not seen much of the cartoon (only a few episodes from the first season and the first six movies) but every time I've seen Ash want to release a Pokemon, he does it because he thinks it would be happier out in the wild. That was why he was going to release Pikachu - he obviously didn't want Pikachu to leave him, but he thought Pikachu would be happier with those other Pikachu. That he cares enough about his Pokemon to put them above his own interests does not make him a bad trainer. Pidgeot I couldn't say, because I haven't watched that episode, but from reading Bulbapedia's entry I gather that Pidgeot wanted to stay behind to protect the Pidgey (it also says that Ash promised to come back for it).

Last edited:
I think that Ash never said he would come back for Pidgeot in the Japanese version, but don't quote me on that. I remember Dogasu complaining about that line every time someone brings it up, but the comparison for that episode is old and he might have been talking about Primape.

Still, the only Pokémon he's released since late Johto was Gilscor.

I think Ash releases his pokémon is because it's merely part of the show. The show is meant to be about growing up and training to become the best. If Ash had a team consisting of a Charizard, Pidgeot, Primape, and numerous other fully evolved and powerful pokémon how is the show still about training to become the best or about personal growth? It would be the end of the series as we've come to know it. But they won't be ending it because, plain and simple, the show is a money maker. Just like shows like, say, Power Rangers. Hence why Ash ditched his entire team when he made his way to Hoenn, it was a way to start over with a new generation of fans, just like how Black and White is now. It's just business.

I think Ash releases his pokémon is because it's merely part of the show. The show is meant to be about growing up and training to become the best. If Ash had a team consisting of a Charizard, Pidgeot, Primape, and numerous other fully evolved and powerful pokémon how is the show still about training to become the best or about personal growth? It would be the end of the series as we've come to know it. But they won't be ending it because, plain and simple, the show is a money maker. Just like shows like, say, Power Rangers. Hence why Ash ditched his entire team when he made his way to Hoenn, it was a way to start over with a new generation of fans, just like how Black and White is now. It's just business.

I agree with all that you said. But...

They could introduce other main characters like in Pokémon Adventures. It's funny how, after all those years, Ash hasn't aged a bit and is still training to become the best.

I never watched the Sinnoh episodes but I liked the introduction of Paul. He's synonymous to the actual competitive battler and how a player who battles competitively behaves in the game. Who didn't once catch five Pidgeys and kept only one because the others were too weak or had the wrong nature? Many of us have. There's no guilt in it because Pokémon are just bits of data, although we can relate to them.

Meanwhile, Ash's behaviour would fit better a world in which Pokémon were real creatures. There's no doubt that, in all of the anime, Ash is the trainer that is supposed to care the most about his Pokémon. From a gamer's perspective, his behaviour is a little silly, though.

I can understand starting over with each new generation but how do you become a Pokemon Master if you let them all go? lol

I figured I'd just post here but I made a video of what Hitler thinks of Ash giving away all of his Pokemon. I didn't watch too far past the third generation of pokemon but Ash always had a knack for giving them away, which made me very mad. Does Ash not want them? He always complained about being behind and stuff but he lets them go anyways? Butterfree I can understand. Charizard? He chose to leave it. I'm sure Charizard would have rather stayed with Ash even if it wanted to be stronger like the rest of the Charizard. Pidgeot? He left it to protect the Pidgeys from Fearow. Seriously, you can't save every Pokemon from being a snack for another. Primeape? Obviously my favorite and I enjoyed the two episodes it existed. He won the tournament and put a family back together, and then he gives it to a loser from the tournament. How stupid! Hell he was even gonna let Pikachu go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihdmOn0J_aM&list=UUJQZa8n-f8KP7hrC7SvcQGg&index=6&feature=plcp

may i point something out? RED is great, ASH is not. heres why

RED was only defeated once , while ASH struggles with EVERY trainer.
ASH has trouble with two team Rocket operatives, while RED easily took out the entire organization.
RED was only defeated by GOLD, while ASH hasn't EVER won the pkmn league.

Lets face facts, Ash releases his pokemon because he realizes they'll get butchered with him.

may i point something out? RED is great, ASH is not. heres why

RED was only defeated once , while ASH struggles with EVERY trainer.
ASH has trouble with two team Rocket operatives, while RED easily took out the entire organization.
RED was only defeated by GOLD, while ASH hasn't EVER won the pkmn league.

But can Red's Pikachu deal super effective damage to Rhydon?

Would the show be more interesting if Ash won every battle?

Team Rocket in the anime is a much larger, more pervasive group, one that can't be brought down by a ten-year-old. Ash hasn't even ever met Giovanni as far as I can remember except for a minute or so in one of the movies.

Ash hasn't ever won a League because he's going against literally hundreds of other trainers who have likely had more experience, at least early on. Ash lost the Sinnoh League to a twenty-something with a darkrai, for crying out loud. He also did win the Orange Island League, by the way.

Ash releases his pokémon because they're happier when he does so. He doesn't want to hold them back for his own reasons, he wants them to do well on their own terms even if it means he isn't in the picture.

Interesting topic, but one thing is he wont age. Alot of cartoons like the simpsons which has been on for more than 20 years only aged bart and lisa twice. So for ash, they want to keep him young for the young viewers.

Plus hes better young, what 10 year old thinks like him, hes matured since the first episode.

He thinks its whats best for his pokemon, i think. But i got to say he lost a lot of good pokemon that way...I mean, really, don't you think primape would of been a good pokemon league pokemon in season one? Also, goodra...and charizard. Oh and don't forget charizard <_<

Silly Ash...XD;

Back
Top Bottom