• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

New Games: Pokemon Black and White 2

Not really. RGB didn't have any loose ends to tie up and GSC was a whole new story rather than a continuation of RGB's story.

If you want to get pedantic, it still is a direct sequel and the Team Rocket plot would serve as the "continuation". There are numerous references to "three years ago" and Red, the game's "final boss". Sequels need not star the same protagonist.

That said, I'm not sold these games are continue-the-plot-type sequels — has this been confirmed at all? I haven't seen anything that suggests so, but everyone seems to be talking as such.

What I'm interested in is what this means for the Hoenn remakes if they're going to be there. Now that they doubled up on this third game, they might end up releasing only an Emerald remake instead of dual RS remakes, which IMHO would be loads better.

well HG/SS kinda combined Crystal's "GOGOGO EASY SUICUNE CATCH" with the "semi-game-specific legendaries" dealio from Gold and Silver...maybe they can do something like that with hypothetical-RS-remakes?

Related to the topic at hand: oh gosh so excited :D

Whta I plan on seeing in a nutshell:

a. These 'sequels' actually end up following the Y/C/E/Pt format where the plot is extended, theres slightly more to do, and such. The plot would likely pertain to the protaganist acquiring Kyurem and some sort of plot shit happens.

b. NO POST GAME HOENN (I demand to spend more money on full remakes instead of post plot shit)'

c. It's not actually a sequel, it's a reworked plot, and we are not seeing the stupid argued shit about whether or not we use Hilda/Hilbert and the main difference is the Kyurem thingy.

TBH I'm a little disappointed... I was waiting to play 5th gen when a 3rd version appeared but now it means I'll have to play TWO games instead and I'll have to pick which version I play... Gamefreak is finding new ways to milk the franchise...

I think the first game will have a lot of relevance to the second... If not, there's no point really, they could've just gone with a third version instead. Well, it could also be that the second game is EXACTLY like the first, except you're able to get Kyurem and fuse it with either Reshiram or Zekrom depending on the version. Like a third version split into two. But then it wouldn't really deserve to be called a "2".

Also, please no post-game Hoenn. Hoenn... kind of sucked. I'd rather like them to make a Hoenn remake, so that I don't need to play through Hoenn again.

Last edited:
Just because you think Hoenn sucked before doesn't mean they can't improve it! That's always seemed like such a silly argument to me; GSCHGSS Kanto isn't identical to RBYFRLG Kanto (three years have passed, different story, etc.), so in theory there's no reason for someone who disliked the first gen to hate the second gen off the bat because they could very well like the changes for the better. Granted the original GSC Kanto was definitely... not as interesting as it could have been, but they patched a lot of it up in the remakes, and by now they've got that experience under their belts and are getting better at writing storylines and such. If there is postgame Hoenn (and for the record I don't especially think there will be, but I don't care to speculate much on it either way atm), why not give it a chance and see what they do with it instead of setting yourself up to hate it just because you didn't like the originals?

In other news, America and Europe are getting BW2 in autumn :D

As far as the announcement goes, this is quite a surprise. I'm very happy that it is on the DS. Of course I'm getting it when I get to college, but I need some more information before I choose a version. Both new formes of Kyurem are impressive (wonder how the forme change works). Anywho, to those that are bickering, remember that this is the FIRST WEEK. There is quite the gap between now and its projected release: Autumn 2012 (hence why I need more info).

This seems nice. Not overly excited or anything, but eh. New thing from Pokémon are always to be encouraged, because how else will they learn?

First thought: What the derp, no Grey.
Second thought: WHO CARES, NEW GAMES
Third thought: Ooh, new formes...
Fourth thought: MORE N PLZ
Fifth thought: HOENN PLZ

MORE NEWS: These will be released in Autumn 2012 for Europe and America

Personally, I would prefer a Hoenn remake to Post-Game stuff, as it was my favorite region, and I want to keep it 'untainted', as in no Unova pokemon until post-game.

If it's going to be a sequel, then OMG YAY PLOT AND N AND UNOVA

If it's going to be another one of those third-game remakes but in a two-game form, I am disappoint. I was really looking forward to having Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem combine into the original dragon...

Wait, so why do people think there's going to be a postgame Hoenn again? Because the logos have red and blue or something? That's it? All of the games that had other regions postgame were remakes... FRLG had those island things and HGSS were remakes of games that had postgame regions already, the inclusion of which made sense because they were connected relatively closely geographically. I'm pretty sure since Hoenn had nothing to do with Black and White (unless I missed something, which is honestly likely) I highly doubt they'd just... throw it in there. It doesn't make any sense, like, at all. :I Not to rain on any parades or anything... I guess there's a miniscule chance since they're already breaking a couple molds here, but I don't see a reason to think it might happen to begin with so I'm not bothering to hope for it.

And I'm curious how these are "sequels"... I have a feeling they'll just be typical third-versions, split into two because they want to see how it works out, with the whole sequel and three-form thing. But if the story actually starts where BW left off, or at least is way longer, that'll be a nice surprise. I see myself getting White 2 no matter what they do with it, though. Just because that's how I've been trained at this point.

I highly doubt that postgame Hoenn is going to be a thing purely because we haven't actually had a postgame region since way back in GSC (and then again in HGSS, probably because the fandom would feel a bit cheated without postgame Kanto). They had a chance to make postgames in RSE, DPPt, and BW, and instead they released new games; why would they change that now? I think these days Game Freak is going to enjoy making remakes much more because a) nostalgia sales have proven to be pretty darn strong as seen with FRLG and HGSS and b) it gives them a lot more... room, so to speak. Granted, there were a lot of things wrong with Hoenn, but because Hoenn is a pretty big and varied region, there's so much they could do with it creatively.

Also, it makes very little sense to me for them to not include a postgame in BW but then add one in BWII, unless BWII takes place somewhere else and the entire game is different. I would way rather them make Hoenn and BWII two separate projects - as it is I think they have their work cut out for them to add enough to the BW games for BWII to count as a sequel. I would only expect pretty minor things in a third version game, but as they're marketing the new games as a sequel, my expectations are pretty high for this game.

unless BWII takes place in Hoenn, in which case all my dreams will come true.

EDIT: oh yeah and there's this from ages ago. yes I will cling to any scrap of information for Hoenn remakes what of it

Last edited:
I am shockingly unimaginative. I keep thinking about what I want there to be in these games, and it's only "Bring back what they did right in HGSS and then didn't carry over to B/W!". Like the follower Pokemon, or that they perfected the touchscreen menu/PC organization, or made it so you could run without pressing B and lots of other silly things that I miss so much.

So what do you all think about Kyurem's new formes, as in how do you think that the transformation occurs, or something else like that...

~ unpopular opinion time ~

The postgame Hoenn thing was some offhand wishful thinking of mine; I doubt it's likely but it'd be awesome. (Though B2W2 taking place in Hoenn is an even cooler idea :o)

However, I seriously don't understand why everyone is acting like Ruby and Sapphire remakes are already a thing and just haven't been announced yet. There's no reason whatsoever to remake R/S. FR/LG were done for nostalgia's sake (being the first games) and HG/SS were done because the originals had become unplayable due to the battery issue.

R/S, however:

- are still compatible (however indirectly) with current games through the DS import features
- are still playable (sans a few features) even if the internal battery has died
- were released in that dark age where Pokemon was considered a dead fad, and therefore aren't likely to hold a lot of nostalgic value for the masses outside of Pokemon's cult following (HGSS brought a lot of people back into the fandom; I can't see R/S doing that no matter how much I may love the games, especially since most of said HGSS newcomers are the type who hate everything post-Johto)
- sold the least out of all the main series Pokemon games (Except for B/W, but they've only been out a year. Interestingly, according to this, FR/LG was the lowest-selling duo, indicating that nostalgia value doesn't always mean more sales, and also emphasizing how "dead" Pokemon was in gen 3 - all of the games selling less than 2 million, save for Pokemon Pinball and the Japanese Stadium, are third-gen games).
- are actually widely considered among the worst games in the series! No day/night, lame villains, most older Pokemon unobtainable without trading (which was more difficult back in the day), etc etc. This isn't an opinion of mine, mind you.

The Pokemon franchise as a whole gets enough flack for "running out of ideas" and "trying to sell the same game over and over"; it looks like with this gen they're really trying to break away from that, and I don't see how remaking yet another game would be condusive to that at all. It's just getting redundant. Say there do end up being R/S remakes; after those will people start clamoring for D/P remakes?

That said, I'll be totally happy if there are R/S remakes - I loved R/S too - I just think it's kind of silly that even after they throw us a total curve ball in the form of B2W2 instead of "Pokemon Gray" everyone is still following the logic of "EVERY OTHER GEN DID X SO Y IS INEVITABLE THIS TIME AROUND!!!"

In response to the 'clamoring for D/P remakes; I personally would be ok if they stopped remaking games after hoenn until it is no longer compatible with the newest system...

I definitely want a Hoenn remake though.

I dunno, I'd prefer post-game Hoenn. It's as said, they keep throwing curveballs this gen, why not that? So what if only one gen has had a post-game region? That makes them all the more likely to do it.

Also because shit, it might expand the plot more. They certainly have enough room on the cart for a second region.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Not joking, I had a dream about this last night: A new Black version with a multicolored Reshiram (I think it was brown and white). And this is absolutely the first I've heard of this; I don't really ever hang around the Pokemon part of this forum obviously.

O_O

I think imma go post in the dreams thread...

Back
Top Bottom