• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Are you in favour?

• Aye

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Nay

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Music Dragon

Doosic Maggon
Pronoun
she
MOTION: That the Council reinstate the "Reputation" feature, in which members could grant reputation points to posts deemed to be of particularly high quality. Reinstatement is subject to:
  • negative reputation being removed in the interest of preventing excess drama
  • reputation no longer being weighted to favour high-reputation members
  • Music Dragon being granted all the reputations in accordance with local fabulousness law

I'm against it because I don't trust myself to not have really strong opinions on my rep score.

No. It was really silly last time, people just add reps to their friends and it was all silly.
Plus I got negative rep for being 'bitchy' or something.

Last edited:
Plus I got negative rep for being 'bitchy' or something.

MD in the first post said:
negative reputation being removed in the interest of preventing excess drama

I dunno, I think it's a good idea! everyone always seems to be like 'but last time!!' but last time you guys were all much younger teenagers/kids and there was ten times more drama anyway, wasn't there?

I dunno i think it's kind of a good idea :I sometimes people make posts and i want to be like 'yeah! good job, <username>! i agree/think this post is awesome!' but it's kinda pointless to post in a thread to say that and I'd feel super weird messaging all these people out of the blue just to say that i like a post they made. and i think probably other people would feel like that too? i feel like reputation isn't so much of a ~popularity contest~ as it probably would have been back in the day; i would probably use it like a like button when people do something cool.

i saw the thread title and was like hell naw i'd get negative rep constantly then i read the thing.

eh i still think we're fine without it but point 3 is an excellent point.

If there's no negative rep, wouldn't it make more sense to just have some kind of "like" system where you can like a particular post or whatever? Then you're rating posts instead of users, and rather than there just being a number under someone's name you can actually think what contributions people made that are considered awesome.

I guess that would probably be more difficult to do than just reenabling reputation, though; I don't think this version of vB supports that feature.

Yeah, I think Butterfree would have to update vB. Bulbagarden has a like feature, but it runs on a newer version.

I don't think liking posts is default functionality on any version of vB; Bulbagarden probably has a hack installed, and I've seen hacks for it around for years.

Although I think it would actually be possible to essentially use the reputation feature that way - I haven't checked, but there's probably an option to not show users' reputation publicly, which would make it basically amount to likes but with private comments.

I don't think liking posts is default functionality on any version of vB; Bulbagarden probably has a hack installed, and I've seen hacks for it around for years.

Although I think it would actually be possible to essentially use the reputation feature that way - I haven't checked, but there's probably an option to not show users' reputation publicly, which would make it basically amount to likes but with private comments.
Yes, yes! This is good! Do this one. "But MD, what about local fabulousness law?" Well, don't you worry - you handle the implementation and I'll deal with the authorities. They know who I am.

^See, MD get's ALL THE REP.

I'm for it. I've been mentioning it for a while now, good to see I'm not alone.

I am in favor of it. Like UV said, it wont be a popularity contest, but more a way to congradulate somebody. I think its an excellent idea

Honestly I think that rep should be public. I don't really see the point of having it at all if it's not out there for everyone to see, and we'll all accumulate points if we're active over time.

Eh, I think it should be private, actually. This reputation system would be based on a person's post, not the person itself. If someone liked a comment of yours, you would feel proud and think, "Oh hey, I made a post somebody liked. I feel proud that my post was pretty good!". Only you and the person who liked it would know that your comment was liked. Is there really a need for more people to know about it when you're content that the two of you only know about it?

Then again, if it was private, how can we see MD's shitload of reputation?

I think having the choice to display it would be the best option? That way everyone can have their preference.

Honestly, it's not going to be an issue if you just disable negative reputation. I don't understand why the need for it to be concealed is. Sure, all you need is you and the person that sent it, but if you have the option, I think making it public is probably more favorable for most.

That's true! But hey, some people aren't exhibitionists with big egos like the rest of us. ;)

Then again, if it was private, how can we see MD's shitload of reputation?

Oh, you'll know.

I dunno I don't really get why you'd want it hidden but if it's going to bother people we'd might as well either make it invisible or visible by choice. No point forcing it on people who don't want it.

I like that idea, UV. Just for clarification, does it seem like we're leaning towards post likes or user rep?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom