Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Entertainment

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 06:17 AM
future Singaporean

Pronoun: he
Ether's Bane is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Ether's Bane
Default Pointless

I don't think many of you are game show buffs, but I am, and this is my current favourite.

Here's an episode, to give you an idea of how it works.

Basically, the fewer the people that also gave your answer in the survey, the lower your score, and the lower your score, the better it is for you.

Last.fm

Lemmy Kilmister
1945-2015
R.I.P.

\m/
Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Pronoun: they
Minish has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pointless

I and opal, but also I'm pretty sure Dannichu, are impossibly into this show. I haven't watched much for a while, but every time it's just as fun.

the most fun always ends up being a) word rounds, b) deciding which team is the most endearing and important to root for. but even if you root for the best team, a pair of sports fans inevitably get to the final. :C
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 PM
actually very huggable

Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, man, Pointless. Third best quiz show. (After University Challenge and Only Connect, naturally.)

Though yes. It is once in a blue moon that people pick the topic I want them to pick in the final. I think my favourite format is "here is a fact about a person, who are they". That or geography rounds which are ridiculously easy because for some reason people still haven't worked out that all they have to do is remember the Pacific island states.
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Old 04-23-2013, 03:19 PM
if the nineth lion ate the sun.

Pronoun: she
Tailsy is on a distinguished road

I've actually been to a recording of Pointless! :O (That was a boring episode though. There wasn't a pointless answer D:)
Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM
future Singaporean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minish View Post

the most fun always ends up being a) word rounds, b) deciding which team is the most endearing and important to root for.
Personally, I enjoy the head-to-head round to qualify for the bonus round the most.
Quote:
but even if you root for the best team, a pair of sports fans inevitably get to the final. :C
Just curious - how is this necessarily a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaltiger View Post
Oh, man, Pointless. Third best quiz show. (After University Challenge and Only Connect, naturally.
When it comes to other quiz shows, I'm more of a Jeopardy fan myself, actually.

Last.fm

Quote:
VRISKA: Are you coming or what!
ARANEA: Yes, please come! I was a8out to 8egin one final story 8efore we reach the treasure!
JOHN: oh holy shit another story? i'm there!!!
JOHN: sorry aradia, i'd love to keep chatting, but you heard the lady. it's story time again.
SOLLUX: w0w aradia, y0u actually sent the guy running t0 hear a serket st0ry.
SOLLUX: that was a REALLY impressive creep 0ut j0b, nice.
ARADIA: :(

Lemmy Kilmister
1945-2015
R.I.P.

\m/
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Says "also" and "or something" a lot

Murkrow is on a distinguished road

I don't have a TV so I can't watch it, but I do whenever I'm home from uni.
Every once in a while my parents skype me and tell me if one of the questions was about Star Trek or something, to see if I'd know one of the pointless answers.

Also, one of my algebra lecturers looks like Alexander Armstrong.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:34 PM

Pronoun: they
Minish has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether's Bane View Post
Just curious - how is this necessarily a bad thing?
I mean, then they'll inevitably pick the sports option for the final question! and I Do Not Care about Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkrow View Post
I don't have a TV so I can't watch it, but I do whenever I'm home from uni.
iplayer! :o though the reason I don't watch it much anymore is because it's boring if it's not either on TV or with someone else.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:25 PM
actually very huggable

Quote:
When it comes to other quiz shows, I'm more of a Jeopardy fan myself, actually.
My criterion for a good quiz show is how many questions they get in per episode. Basically anything that involves a cash prize fails in that regard. University Challenge is non-stop rapid-fire questions for half an hour; Only Connect is slower paced, but the questions take longer to figure out.

Pointless kind of fails horribly under that criterion, but the interesting format and wonderful chemistry between Alexander and Richard makes up for it.
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 AM
future Singaporean

Quote:
I mean, then they'll inevitably pick the sports option for the final question! and I Do Not Care about Sports
Although I actually do know a fair bit of sports trivia, I completely understand, because I feel the same way about those questions which you'd only know the answer to if you lived in Britain (I don't).

Quote:
My criterion for a good quiz show is how many questions they get in per episode. Basically anything that involves a cash prize fails in that regard. University Challenge is non-stop rapid-fire questions for half an hour; Only Connect is slower paced, but the questions take longer to figure out.

Pointless kind of fails horribly under that criterion, but the interesting format and wonderful chemistry between Alexander and Richard makes up for it.
I like quiz shows that aren't as luck-of-the-draw-based (Millionaire, Family Feud/Fortunes) and reward you for having lots of knowledge (Pointless, Jeopardy).

By the way, what do you think of Jeopardy?

Last.fm

Quote:
VRISKA: Are you coming or what!
ARANEA: Yes, please come! I was a8out to 8egin one final story 8efore we reach the treasure!
JOHN: oh holy shit another story? i'm there!!!
JOHN: sorry aradia, i'd love to keep chatting, but you heard the lady. it's story time again.
SOLLUX: w0w aradia, y0u actually sent the guy running t0 hear a serket st0ry.
SOLLUX: that was a REALLY impressive creep 0ut j0b, nice.
ARADIA: :(

Lemmy Kilmister
1945-2015
R.I.P.

\m/
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 AM
actually very huggable

Quote:
By the way, what do you think of Jeopardy?
Decent concept, but as I recall it moves too slowly for my liking.
— PZ Myers

Last edited by opaltiger; 04-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:10 PM
izombie, uzombie, weallzombie

Pronoun: Male
Teh Ebil Snorlax is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Teh Ebil Snorlax

My mother and I adore Pointless, and watching it while drunk in the early hours of the morning was one of the many bonding activities that brought me and my college friends together. My only pointless answer was in a round where they gave a list of famous musicians and you had to name their biopic. Apparently, Britons don't know their Cole Porter like I do.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Pronoun: She
Dannichu is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My housemate and I ship Richard and Xander so hard. He has the cover of a TV magazine with X&R on saying 'TV'S GOLDEN COUPLE' pinned to his door (by me).

It could really use more questions (all Central African Republic, all the time), but picking the couple you like most (so many times I've been horribly let down and assumed a pair were a romantic couple and then they were siblings or something) and cheering them on is brilliant fun.

And knitted dolls kissing each other :D

I watched an episode tonight, and apparently 50 people out of 100 were unable to identify the Leaning Tower of Pisa. British public, what are you doing with your lives?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Says "also" and "or something" a lot

Murkrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
iplayer! :o though the reason I don't watch it much anymore is because it's boring if it's not either on TV or with someone else.
Yeah, I think it would be a bit boring to watch it on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannichu View Post
apparently 50 people out of 100 were unable to identify the Leaning Tower of Pisa. British public, what are you doing with your lives?
After only 92 people could recognise the Queen, I was surprised more people than that recognised Elvis Presley.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:24 PM
actually very huggable

Personally I enjoyed the one where only 90 or so people could identify a picture of the Earth from space.
— PZ Myers