The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > The Cave of Dragonflies > Forum Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
uhhdushfkjwhf

Pronoun: Female
Retsu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you were an admin here...

This thread has been quite interesting in the past, so I figured reviving it would be a nice idea. ^^

So, as the thread title would suggest, this thread is for discussing what you would do with The Cave of Dragonflies Forums were it in your hands.

Stay civil, please. =P

(Please don't post if you're not going to include some serious suggestions. If you're just going to ban everyone and be an evil overlord, we really don't need to know about it. This is the reason I started a new thread in the first place.)

Here are some good posts from the previous version of this thread, so they aren't lost forever:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watershed
I think I'd be a little stricter and harsher with spam.
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArmour
I would be more harsh about bullying and try to find a way to make users making more than say 2 accounts. Thats always niggled me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon
Uh, I don't really get what you're trying to say here; do you mean you want people to make three or more accounts each?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Alternatively it could mean he'd be harsher on people with multiple accounts, although it seems a bit hypocritical seeing as he has at least one alt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas754
How do you know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
if I were admin I would revise the Bumping rule
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijy
I would infract people and perhaps make this site a stupid free zone.also i would bring back u.s vs world.
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zora of Termina
There would probably also be forum-exclusive purple styles. :/
---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jimmy
Hrmm....actually, I wouldn't do anything while admin (besides enforce rules). But if I was head admin, I have a few things I would change. First, all mods and admins would be elected and chosen by a vote. This would take place every few months, and the old staff members would be removed from their positions. Everyone can vote. This keeps the staff balanced, but still useful. Likewise, anyone could be banned, but it must be voted upon by the mods and admins, and a unanimous vote must be reached. Members may also vote on this, if the staff can't come up with a decision. Regular mods and admins have the same powers they have now, but can be removed by a vote if necessary, or be thrown out when the next election comes. The head admin's purpose is only to manage the servers and organize the site's forums. The head admin wouldn't be removed from staff, but staff powers are limited.

Also, I'd like to do some contests. They would involve real prizes, like money or a plushie. The staff would carry out the contests, and anyone can participate. Contests can be widely varied. For example, let's say we were having a writing contest. People submit their stories, and the winner gets a prize mailed to them (no, we will not rape you).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon
So basically, you want democracy. Why? Personally, I really don't think it would be a good idea...
Quote:
I think it'll give people more say in what is done. Don't get me wrong: I like the staff so far. They don't abuse their powers or anything, and are good to other members. But, if the staff makes a change or does something that most people don't like, what would happen? Would members get a say in what happens in this situation? Its these kind of conflicts that I think could be solved by a democratic-kind of system. There isn't much bad stuff going on right now, but if it were to happen in the near future, then it would be hard to reverse, since people won't have a say in it.

I'm not saying my idea should be implemented, I'm just saying that's what I would work on if I was an admin.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM
FOR THE YARD!!!!

Pronoun: He
Jolty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you were an admin here...

I would let people have more fun
Old 01-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't Mistake Coincidence for Fate

Pronoun: he
Pook is an unknown quantity at this point

i would also bring back personal stickies

maybe rep too

ALSO i would make a rule on enforcing serious posts for serious threads

Last edited by Pook; 01-16-2009 at 06:28 PM. Reason: damn my english
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
You know it's true.

Pronoun: Male
Capitain Jay is an unknown quantity at this point

Me? I'd have a few more mods, maybe some dedicated mods for certain parts of the forums, get some people to help with forum styles and working the database and such. That's about it, I suppose.

Oh! Oh oh oh oh! I'd put up rules that would disallow being in more than about three RPs at once. Leave places for other people, will ya? And I'd enforce literacy, and longer posts. Yeah. That's about it for real now.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
actually very huggable

opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Me? I'd have a few more mods, maybe some dedicated mods for certain parts of the forums
Why? The current mods are dealing with the terrible rule-breaking masses just fine.
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

I'd totally make it the best forum ever where peace reigns and everybody is intelligent and types coherently and we are all BEST FRIENDS and everybody is perfectly fair and we are all happy with everything and it is happysunshineland! :o

Except for the part where you can't actually do that because people suck.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM
uhhdushfkjwhf

Pronoun: Female
Retsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you bitter about this thread, Butterfree?
Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
forget your high society

Pronoun: She
Zora of Termina has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Zora of Termina

Well to make a more serious post:

-Again, forum-exclusive purple styles
-I would be far more strict on people with bad grammar/multiple accounts.
-People who act like dicks probably wouldn't get away with it as often as they do

Other than that I'd probably be too busy trying to figure out vB to really change anything. >>

dirty hands ain't made for shakin' ain't a rule that ain't worth breakin'

If you want to contact me:
tumblr|dA|TRsR|Flight Rising

Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 PM
helt plötsligt blev det tyst

Tarvos is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Tarvos Send a message via Yahoo to Tarvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaltiger View Post
Why? The current mods are dealing with the terrible rule-breaking masses just fine.
I'd deal with the terrible rule-breaking masses better than everyone else.

No but seriously, I agree with VPLJ... I'd enforce a bit of a posting standard for something like the Debating Hall.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Doosic Maggon

Pronoun: Any
Music Dragon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it'll give people more say in what is done. Don't get me wrong: I like the staff so far. They don't abuse their powers or anything, and are good to other members. But, if the staff makes a change or does something that most people don't like, what would happen? Would members get a say in what happens in this situation? Its these kind of conflicts that I think could be solved by a democratic-kind of system. There isn't much bad stuff going on right now, but if it were to happen in the near future, then it would be hard to reverse, since people won't have a say in it.

I'm not saying my idea should be implemented, I'm just saying that's what I would work on if I was an admin.
But... what's the point of introducing democracy? I'm pretty sure such a system would result in even more conflict. Sure, people aren't always happy with the decisions made as it is, but they wouldn't be any more satisfied if we went by majority vote. Besides, the staff members do take people's opinions into consideration...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM
FOR THE YARD!!!!

Jolty is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
I'd totally make it the best forum ever where peace reigns and everybody is intelligent and types coherently and we are all BEST FRIENDS and everybody is perfectly fair and we are all happy with everything and it is happysunshineland! :o

My forum is like that
Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsu View Post
Are you bitter about this thread, Butterfree?
No, I'm just being realistic as the only person posting here who actually has any experience with owning a large forum. :/

You go into it thinking, "I'm going to make this the best forum ever!" But then eventually you discover that you can't do anything intended to make the forum better without pissing off some portion of the memberbase, and you can't just press a button and make people become happy and get along. People will always be pissed at what you do and want something changed or changed back.

This thread is kind of annoying when you decide it should be all SERIOUS BUSINESS and CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTIONS, yes, because that implies you actually think that I should be implementing all these suggestions. If I see something and think, "Oh, hey, I kind of want to do that!" I'll do it, sure, but most of the less trivial suggestions are things that I'm indifferent about and, while the poster likes the idea, are guaranteed to make other people bitch and moan. I can't sit here trying to be the good admin who does what the people want. The people never want the same thing.

By all means post what you would actually do if you were in my place, but please, don't be naive enough to think that that means I should do it. :/

Last edited by BACHURU; 01-16-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Metapod

Jason-Kun is an unknown quantity at this point

- rules against being enforced more.
-Implement ideas of some other members. Things like contest I mean.
- Combining areas of the forum that are similiar.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM
I am the man who arranges the blocks.

Pronoun: they/her/hers
Meursault is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
maybe rep too
ewww rep :(

I'd probably bring back the 'your last post in thread x' button. It was quite useful for catching up on threads when you hadn't responded to or viewed in a while. :/
Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 PM
FEELING GREAT, FEELING GOOD, HOW ARE YOU?

#1 bro is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to #1 bro

I think I'd at least make some sort of attempt to clean up Forum Games and the RP board, get rid of Clubs altogether, and prohibit advertising of forums in the Advertising forum. Perhaps I would merge the Webmastering, Scripting, and HTML and CSS forums.

I would also probably install a bunch of unnecessary hacks just for the hell of it, and make it a priority to have at least one style for each color of the rainbow, plus pink, black, and white.

EDIT: also, I would measure word count instead of post count, if that is at all possible.

EDIT 2: I would probably also take into consideration the idea of having a rep system only visible to you and no one else.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 PM
if the nineth lion ate the sun.

Tailsy is on a distinguished road

Turn it into a brainwashing HAPPY OPTIMISM LAND OF RAINBOWS 8D

No, really.

But seriously? I'd probably do exactly the same things I'm currently doing.

Fuck you, my suggestion was totally the best.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Caterpie

s k is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolty View Post
My forum is like that
I agree with this post.

Also, um, I would make a special board just for people to talk without any topic whatsoever. But your postcount does not go up, of course.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 AM
:V

ultraviolet is on a distinguished road

But uh, we have that already. It's called the The Café of Doom, although it does have postcount on.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:26 AM

Pronoun: they
Evolutionary is an unknown quantity at this point

Even the Cafe of Doom had topics they just change from time to time.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM
๏̯͡๏

Doctor Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
Some people do suck, but not anyone on this site. Compared to other sites I've been to, this site is happysunshineland. Most people follow the rules, there are no trolls (for the most part), and the staff respects members (to a degree; I don't trust authority, of any kind). At least we aren't involved in any forum wars....none of my posts have been deleted by a mod so far, and the site hasn't had any hackers or bots since I joined. So, I'd say we're pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon View Post
I'm pretty sure such a system would result in even more conflict.
Well, how about this: we only use the voting system when a big change is being made (like a banning spree), and all other staff activity can be seen by others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Reticuli View Post
EDIT: also, I would measure word count penis compensation instead of post count, if that is at all possible.
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta Reticuli View Post
EDIT 2: I would probably also take into consideration the idea of having a rep system
Yes. Also, how about rep for posts: if a post is good, it gets a point up, and if its bad, it gets a point down (just like on YouTube or Digg). If a post has a low amount of rep, then it is hidden.