The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Entertainment

Notices

Old 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Metapod

Pronoun: she
Spoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Little Pony

I'm usually a fan of cute-sy stuff in this vein, but I've tried watching the show twice and it hasn't really held my interest. The first episode was the one where Twilight Sparkle gets two invitations to the ball and everything turns out all right! The other one was the second season opener and left with a cliffhanger, which I'm not really compelled to see the rest of. Am I watching some of the lower quality episodes or something?
Old 09-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Metapod

Pronoun: He
Fireworks is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm usually a fan of cute-sy stuff in this vein, but I've tried watching the show twice and it hasn't really held my interest. The first episode was the one where Twilight Sparkle gets two invitations to the ball and everything turns out all right! The other one was the second season opener and left with a cliffhanger, which I'm not really compelled to see the rest of. Am I watching some of the lower quality episodes or something?
I guess you should give episode 23: The Cutie Mark Chronicles a try next time, which is one of the cuter and more heartwarming episodes out there. If you'll like that one and you'll be willing to give a few more episodes a try, some of the other strongest episodes are 26 (putting this one at the start of the list since you've already seen ep 3 with the tickets for the gala that ep 26 is about), 16, 14, 11, 9, 13, 25 and 20.

ep 3 is kind of mediocre by the way (a lot of the early episodes are, up to ep 9, with the exception of 7), and I guess the second season opener, while it could be a good introductory episode for a lot of skeptics who wouldn't expect that dark tone in this show + the cliffhanger getting them to watch the 2nd part just because, it's not a good representation at all of what you'll find in most of season 1

Last edited by Fireworks; 09-24-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 PM
groove out!

Pronoun: they or she
Zhorken is an unknown quantity at this point

Hm, I disagree with Fireworks. The Cutie Mark Chronicles doesn't seem like a particularly good episode to watch if you aren't already familiar with all the characters.

The Ticket Master is indeed one of the weakest episodes. I liked the season two opener, myself, but it's not all that representative of the show. Fall Weather Friends, Green Isn't Your Color, and Party of One are all cute, interesting episodes, and between them, all the main ponies get to be in the spotlight (except Twilight, who gets to hang around in all three.) The episodes focusing on everyone as a group tend to be more adventuresome and less cute. Call of the Cutie is hands-down the absolute cutest, imo, and it'd be a pretty good episode to watch early on, though it focuses on Apple Bloom, Applejack's little sister, and not the main cast.

It gets more fun as you watch more episodes, mostly; there's no single greatest episode that will show you everything awesome about the show in 22 minutes. Also episodes later in the season tend to be better.

Last edited by Zhorken; 09-24-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: wrong link for CotC
Old 09-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

Personally, my absolute favorite episode is "Dog in a Pony Show", mainly because it is (in my opinion) hands-down the funniest. It is followed by "Bridle Gossip" in that department, which I'd also recommend, plus "Green Isn't Your Color" and possibly "Party of One" (I don't remember it that well, but I'm pretty sure it was funny). But if you're just looking for cute, I'd suggest the episodes focusing on the younger ponies, because they are tiny and therefore automatically adorable. And "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" is also pretty sweet once you do know the characters.
Award-winning Icelandic BDSM techno-punk performance art group Hatari, who participated in Eurovision 2019 for Iceland. They must be seen to be believed. You can see a sample of their Eurovision entry and some of them being them as featured on Last Week Tonight here.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:29 AM
if the nineth lion ate the sun.

Tailsy is on a distinguished road

Actually, the first episode I showed one of my friends was 'The Cutie Mark Chronicles' and she loved it! She finished season one in a matter of days. :D
Old 10-04-2011, 10:37 PM
chah, dude

The Omskivar is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Butterfree on this one. "Dog in a Pony Show" was a pretty funny episode. I don't remember "Green Isn't Your Color" that much but I definitely remember "Party of One" and that was great too.

Personally if you're trying to get into the show, I'd muddle through the first ever episode to familiarize yourself with the characters, then watch episode two to fall in love with them. I remember episode one being a bore the first time 'round, but by the time I finished the pilot I was like SQUEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Anyway hi I'm The Omskivar
Old 10-04-2011, 11:03 PM
King Koopa

Pronoun: She/Xe
Aletheia has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Aletheia

I showed my dad "Bridle Gossip," if only because I READ SOMEWHERE IT'S THE BEST ONE TO INTRODUCE PONIES TO THE SERIES TRUE OR FALSE YOU GUIZE

He said it was "cute."

Understatement of the century.

(my mom's first experience with FiM was the pilot. she lost it when Spike came on.)

Old 10-04-2011, 11:08 PM
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts

Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point

Dog and a Pony Show was FABULOUS! Rarity was really smart to (SPOILER) whine at stupid dogs. Although it's not wise to do that with smart criminals. =P

I just finished Party of One and LOVE IT! When Rainbow passed Pinkie (when Pinkie was in the hay & novelty glasses disguise), Rainbow (SPOILER) knew at that moment it was pinkie.

Rainbow:Hi Pinkie!*stops with a confused look on her face*

Green Isn't Your Colour is where Fluttershy becomes a model and Rarity gets jealous. Pinkie appearing every time Twilight is about to tell the secret just made me laugh. I laughed more when Pinkie kept on saying "Fooooooor Eeeeevvvvvveeeerrr!" everytime she appeared.

Fall Weather Friends, I also liked where Rainbow and Applejack get obssessed with winning and they ended up (SPOILER) losing to Twilight......who went slow most of the time. They then had to do the race again cause all the leaves didnt fall
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 PM
chah, dude

The Omskivar is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeeeeeeah Green Isn't Your Color is definitely a funny one. I was thinking of the one where Rarity makes all the dresses, for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Anyway hi I'm The Omskivar
Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Egg

Chickensanity is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a pretty fun show. Pinkie Pie is my favourite pony.

S2 breaks make me sad...
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 AM
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts

DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar View Post
Oh yeeeeeeah Green Isn't Your Color is definitely a funny one. I was thinking of the one where Rarity makes all the dresses, for some reason.
that's "Suited for Success" you're thinking of. (SPOILER) The other ponies have humorous tidbits, such as;

Applejack:But what if it rains? Ooh, Galoshes!

Rainbow:The whole thing just has to be 20% cooler.

And Fluttershy's freaky sewing knowledge.

There are only two i havent seen as of yet. Bridle Gossip and Winter Wrap Up. I'm more compelled to watch Bridle Gossip though.

You know what i think? During the Ticket Master, Twilight says it's summer. Then in winter wrap up, it's winter. In Fall Weather Friends, which came on a few episodes after Winter Wrap Up, it changes to fall.

Summer-Winter-Fall? @.@
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Vinyl Scratch

Zero Moment is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Zero Moment

It might be jumping around the timeline?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Chaptermistress of the World Eaters

Lady Grimdour is an unknown quantity at this point

It makes sense; the show skipped Spring and Summer.

Choose wisely.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Says "also" and "or something" a lot

Murkrow is on a distinguished road

The first episodes were during summer, otherwise it wouldn't be called the "Summer Sun Celebration" :P

Speaking of which, in my headcanon, years in Equestria are measured in "After Summer Sun Celebration" like we use BC and AD. So to me the first episodes and probably a lot of the rest of the season are set in the year 1000 ASSC

Tags
mlp: friendship is magic, my little pony