The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Mafia

Notices

Players
  1. Flora
  2. M&F
  3. Eifie
  4. I liek Squirtles
  5. RedneckPhoenix
  6. DarkAura
  7. Butterfree

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #81  
Old 03-18-2019, 09:06 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfree View Post
I think we're dealing with two different sorts of careful here. You have been drawing general attention, obviously, what with being dominant in the conversation. But you're not careless. Your posts are very focused and carefully put together, you've got a level-headed explanation for everything, everything you do is rigorously backed up and defended. MF, by contrast, was visibly frustrated and fed up, refused to give much of a defense, kind of insulted the players - the sort of loud, obstructive behaviour that draws ire. That's what I was referring to when I said I felt scum would be playing more carefully. You've obviously not been doing that.

If you had not made those two posts, I would have felt less suspicious of you. I was feeling more towny on you after you first responded to me, and had started to lean towards MF, but then yeah, her posts struck me as genuine, and those two posts bugged me. (I admit part of it was also simply guessing that one of you was likely to be scum, though.)

As for DarkAura, I had to go back through the thread to even remember what she'd been posting, to be honest. But looking back, it is kind of interesting how first she voices suspicion of MF and then of you but doesn't really follow up with either of your answers. I'm not convinced it's necessarily suspicious, but maybe worth keeping an eye on. What's your thought process?
Hmmmm. Okay, this answer is actually making me feel a lot better about you.

The reason I asked that hypothetical is that I was wondering if, if I had just asked people for their thoughts on DarkAura once MF changed her focus, you would have taken that as a reason to say that I was controlling the conversation again; i.e., you'd find some reason to characterize it as wolfy regardless of what I did. Obviously you could have just made something up in your answer, but what you're saying here seems reasonable and makes sense coming from your POV. It's the first paragraph that's most influencing my opinion of this post, anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts about DarkAura. I'd like to wait for MF to give hers before I write up my own; it'll be clear why when I do.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Captain Husbando
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Cornfields, PA
Age: 25
Posts: 5,849
Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

A lot of the reason I tend to be quiet in mafia is because I’m terrible at reading people online. (Things Flora hasn’t learned from their decade of online existence #72) I think, to a certain extent, there’s reason to view everyone with a suspicious eye. I’m gonna...reread and rethink and come to a conclusion. (Unless anyone wants to attempt to win over my allegiance)
__________________
Everyday I'm tumblin'
Eifie is somehow at fault for the usertitle (hint: my boyfriend is Captain Waifu)
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 PM
RedneckPhoenix's Avatar
RedneckPhoenix RedneckPhoenix is offline
trucks are just wheeled donkeys
 
Join Date: October 27, 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 884
Pronoun: he
RedneckPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

M&F immediately FOS's someone once they had a vote, which is something I don't think a cautious town would do. It could be read as just cautious, which I originally parsed it as, but upon a reread it really rubbed me the wrong way. I think the bickering is sort of trying to jumble everyone up, make them suspicious of everyone, and that's no good.
__________________
"you are just mad because you are angry"
read bumbletrek, my ms paint magnum opus

Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:17 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eifie View Post
Thanks for your thoughts about DarkAura. I'd like to wait for MF to give hers before I write up my own; it'll be clear why when I do.
quoting because I'd like to hear this myself.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 03-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAura View Post
quoting because I'd like to hear this myself.
Are you referring to my thoughts or MF's? idk what to make of MF not answering things. :(
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:21 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

Your thoughts, since I'm guessing MF isn't posting hers in time before the day ends?
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 03-19-2019, 03:44 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Yeah... I'm just gonna go ahead with mine then.

So Butterfree kind of got it with the behaviour I was noticing, but not the possible motivation behind it. DarkAura voted MF in #25 for her odd choice of vote on DarkAura over RNP, which I thought was quite a good observation. However, she never followed up on this even when MF refused to explain specifically to me, but said she would answer the question if anyone else asked it. And yet she kept her vote on MF for a long time after. It looks to me like posting things to appear towny, but not actually really being towny. DarkAura, why didn't you follow up on that?

The reason why I wanted to see what MF would say about her first is that I think MF and DarkAura have decent equity as a wolf team. Their initial votes on each other kind of seem like early-game distancing — that's what I thought would explain MF's vote there, and why I tried to ask her about it (and got no answer). I'm not sure if #44 fits into this theory, though, because the second paragraph of that kind of looks like a w/v interaction with MF trying to shade me in DarkAura's view for something that's not actually very indicative (asking people for their thoughts about what's going on in the game).

The above should be taken with a grain of salt because pre-flip associatives etc. etc.
__________________


"idk, I'm bad at puns" -Keldeo, inexorable pundit of puns and wordplay
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:28 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eifie View Post
Yeah... I'm just gonna go ahead with mine then.

So Butterfree kind of got it with the behaviour I was noticing, but not the possible motivation behind it. DarkAura voted MF in #25 for her odd choice of vote on DarkAura over RNP, which I thought was quite a good observation. However, she never followed up on this even when MF refused to explain specifically to me, but said she would answer the question if anyone else asked it. And yet she kept her vote on MF for a long time after. It looks to me like posting things to appear towny, but not actually really being towny. DarkAura, why didn't you follow up on that?
I didn't follow up on it because MF's post saying it was a joke was a reasonable enough explanation to me, or at least, there's not much more you could glean from that.

As for me keeping my vote on MF, I was planning to keep it until she had changed her vote off of me, joke or not... and then I got distracted with the whole discussion going on and didn't realize she had changed it to you a while back until I went to check on the votes for myself, which is when I unvoted and requested the voting list.

Your thoughts are reasonable, though I think you're operating on the assumption that I'm working on the same skill level as the rest of you. It's been a uh, long while since I've played a serious game of mafia, so I'm missing some talking points that, by the time I realize they're there, the conversation has already moved on.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 03-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAura View Post
I didn't follow up on it because MF's post saying it was a joke was a reasonable enough explanation to me, or at least, there's not much more you could glean from that.

As for me keeping my vote on MF, I was planning to keep it until she had changed her vote off of me, joke or not... and then I got distracted with the whole discussion going on and didn't realize she had changed it to you a while back until I went to check on the votes for myself, which is when I unvoted and requested the voting list.

Your thoughts are reasonable, though I think you're operating on the assumption that I'm working on the same skill level as the rest of you. It's been a uh, long while since I've played a serious game of mafia, so I'm missing some talking points that, by the time I realize they're there, the conversation has already moved on.
Man, I am liking most of this response and thinking maybe I'm just doing the thing where I keep getting convinced by whoever posts most recently.

Was it not clear to you initially that MF's vote wasn't really serious, though? I felt it was pretty clear.
__________________


"idk, I'm bad at puns" -Keldeo, inexorable pundit of puns and wordplay
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:08 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

Gonna be honest, it was not. Though reading back, it might've been that your post #24 is what convinced me it could have been a legit vote and me just being slow on the uptake.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:12 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAura View Post
Gonna be honest, it was not. Though reading back, it might've been that your post #24 is what convinced me it could have been a legit vote and me just being slow on the uptake.
Oh, when I said "legit vote" I meant "a vote that counts" because there were multiple bolded names in that post.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:19 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

re: me being slow on the uptake gkkk

As I believe the votes are currently tied 2-2 against Eifie and RNP, and I don't particularly want to waste our only abstain, and that I'm starting to think my original assessment of MF and Eifie's alignments might not be as concrete as I thought, Redneck Phoenix, do you have anything to say?
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM
RedneckPhoenix's Avatar
RedneckPhoenix RedneckPhoenix is offline
trucks are just wheeled donkeys
 
Join Date: October 27, 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 884
Pronoun: he
RedneckPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

I'm just trying to maintain a cool and composed figure in the eyes of many, many accusations, and thus, to save mine own hide, I will swap my vote to Eifie.




In addition, swapping a vote to make a kill right near the deadline is insanely scummy, since a mislynch and a kill would put us into LyLo. I'd vote for DarkAura but the tie is the only thing keeping me alive.



Keldeo, one last vote count?
__________________
"you are just mad because you are angry"
read bumbletrek, my ms paint magnum opus

Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:36 PM
RedneckPhoenix's Avatar
RedneckPhoenix RedneckPhoenix is offline
trucks are just wheeled donkeys
 
Join Date: October 27, 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 884
Pronoun: he
RedneckPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

(Note that I'm not immediately suspicious of Eifie, but you're the only one I can vote for to make a tie, sorry.)
__________________
"you are just mad because you are angry"
read bumbletrek, my ms paint magnum opus

Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:38 PM
Keldeo's Avatar
Keldeo Keldeo is offline
Resolute
 
Join Date: April 5, 2012
Posts: 3,087
Pronoun: he, they
Keldeo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckPhoenix View Post
Keldeo, one last vote count?
Yep:

RedneckPhoenix (3): M&F (#57), I liek Squirtles (#80), DarkAura (#92)
Eifie (3): Butterfree (#62), Eifie (#76), RedneckPhoenix (#93)
Not voting: Flora

Day ends in around 2.5 hours.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:50 PM
DarkAura's Avatar
DarkAura DarkAura is offline
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts
 
Join Date: May 16, 2011
Age: 19
Posts: 4,267
Pronoun: She
DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

It is a) not a swapped vote and b) plenty of time before the deadline hits. Had we not a hard limit on abstains, I'd abstain/let the tie go through, but that's not the case.

That being said, all your posts strike me as someone who's following the bandwagon, and I'd have to agree with Butterfree's earlier post about that being a usually scum tactic. Granted that's not at all a strong enough basis to say for sure, but given that everyone else has been participating in discussions, and that until now when you've been tied in votes you haven't said a word, it seems weird to me that you're only now having a reaction.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

I don't actually plan to keep voting for myself, fyi. (At least since no one seems to care about #70.) I just haven't decided where to put my vote yet.

Do I want to bet the entire game on MF being scum? Maybe? idk? I wish she would talk.

I don't particularly want to vote either of DarkAura or Butterfree anymore after their responses to my questions.

I'm feeling pretty meh about RNP, but from my experience with him he pretty much just always makes himself look scummy and I don't know how to distinguish between scummy town RNP and just scum RNP. Given that a mislynch today will likely bring us to LyLo tomorrow, I don't really know what to do about him.

ILS and Flora are just null due to lack of content.

We can always just force a tie to get infinite abstains while we're not in a must-not-mislynch situation, by the way. I asked Keldeo about this when I was telling him how silly the tie vote -> no lynch thing was before the game. :p

I wonder if no lynch might actually be the way to go... Can people give thoughts on the below quote from earlier plz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eifie View Post
I suppose an alternative to resolving one of us by lynching today is everyone agreeing on something like "the cop should investigate X tonight, and tomorrow should not speak up unless they get a guilty". (Note that I am not precluding either of us being the cop by suggesting this; the plan would still work fine in that case.) That would rely on us not trying to lynch the cop today and forcing them to out, and on the mafia not getting a lucky shot tonight.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:57 PM
RedneckPhoenix's Avatar
RedneckPhoenix RedneckPhoenix is offline
trucks are just wheeled donkeys
 
Join Date: October 27, 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 884
Pronoun: he
RedneckPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meowfia

I've been tied in votes for the sole purpose of keeping the tie. Had I known someone would vote for me with less than three hours remaining for me to defend myself, I would have promptly flipped the fuck out much earlier. You claim that I am using following as a scum tactic while you swap your vote to break the balance right before the day ends, right after staying entirely quiet almost the whole game, letting nobody get a read on you.



Personally, that's scummy to me.
__________________
"you are just mad because you are angry"
read bumbletrek, my ms paint magnum opus

Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Keldeo's Avatar
Keldeo Keldeo is offline
Resolute
 
Join Date: April 5, 2012
Posts: 3,087
Pronoun: he, they
Keldeo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Confirming that a tied vote causing no one to be lynched does not count toward the one-abstain limit. Sorry that it was unclear.

Also, for the record, I will count a post with multiple bolded names as a vote toward the last bolded name that's a living player. So if all of the bolded names aren't in the game, then it's as if the person hadn't bolded anything.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 03-19-2019, 06:03 PM
Eifie's Avatar
Eifie Eifie is offline
oh man, good times.
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Posts: 3,227
Pronoun: she
Eifie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Meowfia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckPhoenix View Post
You claim that I am using following as a scum tactic while you swap your vote to break the balance right before the day ends, right after staying entirely quiet almost the whole game, letting nobody get a read on you.
This is a bit of a weird thing to ask, I guess, but elaborate on DarkAura "staying entirely quiet almost the whole game" for me? Personally I feel she's clearly trying to contribute to discussion.
__________________



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.