The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Non-Pokémon > Serious Business

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 22
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Proposition 8

Anyone else's head want to explode at this ruling? The Judge who ruled on this case was one of the only OPENLY GAY JUDGES IN THE COUNTRY.

Bias much?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
departuresong's Avatar
departuresong departuresong is offline
Bouncing Off Clouds
 
Join Date: October 28, 2009
Location: Minnesota
Age: 26
Posts: 468
Pronoun: Call me 'It'
departuresong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

I want you to think about what you're implying for a little bit.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Music Dragon's Avatar
Music Dragon Music Dragon is offline
Doosic Maggon
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,336
Pronoun: she
Music Dragon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proposition 8

Bias?

... So, what're you, some homophobe or somethin'?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 22
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon View Post
Bias?

... So, what're you, some homophobe or somethin'?
No, there's a gay kid in my Boy scout troop and I'm perfectly fine going to sleep at night. But it pisses me off that that could happen. It's not the prop 8 being overruled that makes me mad the most. It's that our legal system is total POOP.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
departuresong's Avatar
departuresong departuresong is offline
Bouncing Off Clouds
 
Join Date: October 28, 2009
Location: Minnesota
Age: 26
Posts: 468
Pronoun: Call me 'It'
departuresong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
It's that our legal system is total POOP.
Why?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Music Dragon's Avatar
Music Dragon Music Dragon is offline
Doosic Maggon
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,336
Pronoun: she
Music Dragon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proposition 8

Poop?

... So, what're you, some ten-year-old kid or somethin'?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 22
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by departuresong View Post
Why?
Sheesh. Don't just try to provoke me.

Anyway, in case you actually are wondering, a judge on a Very important landmark case was very incredibly biased. It would be like OJ simpson being the ruling judge on the Vander Sloot Trial.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 PM
departuresong's Avatar
departuresong departuresong is offline
Bouncing Off Clouds
 
Join Date: October 28, 2009
Location: Minnesota
Age: 26
Posts: 468
Pronoun: Call me 'It'
departuresong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

I wasn't provoking you. I was asking you to expand your argument.

How do you know he was biased? What do you think would have been a better alternative? A conservative straight judge? (Just so you know, Judge Walker is a Republican.)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Music Dragon's Avatar
Music Dragon Music Dragon is offline
Doosic Maggon
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 2,336
Pronoun: she
Music Dragon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proposition 8

The only kind of judge who wouldn't have made that same decision would have been a homophobe, so that's pretty biased too.

And by the way, he's not the one trying to provoke you, that's me.

EDIT: Okay, maybe he wouldn't necessarily have been a homophobe. He could also have been an idiot. Doesn't make for a good judge either, though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 22
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by departuresong View Post
I wasn't provoking you. I was asking you to expand your argument.

How do you know he was biased? What do you think would have been a better alternative? A conservative straight judge?
Well at least a straight judge, don't matter his alignment. But he wouldn't be nearly as affected.

This judge was ruling something that could affect himself.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
departuresong's Avatar
departuresong departuresong is offline
Bouncing Off Clouds
 
Join Date: October 28, 2009
Location: Minnesota
Age: 26
Posts: 468
Pronoun: Call me 'It'
departuresong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Human rights issues affect everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Blastoise Fortooate's Avatar
Blastoise Fortooate Blastoise Fortooate is offline
Geographical!
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Amabala
Age: 24
Posts: 4,782
Pronoun: He
Blastoise Fortooate is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Blastoise Fortooate
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
No, there's a gay kid in my Boy scout troop and I'm perfectly fine going to sleep at night.
gay people are not going to rape you in your sleep anymore than straight people are

god

being 'okay' with going to sleep with a gay kid in your tent is not accepting it is rude and offensive
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Captain Husbando
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Cornfields, PA
Age: 25
Posts: 5,849
Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by departuresong View Post
Why?
probably something about "biased judges ruling on laws".

Honestly, the judge ruled that it was unconstitutional under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses. The Equal Protection Clause (part of the 14th Amendment) says that you can't deny any citizen their rights. Marriage is (or at least should be) one of them.

It's not like he gave crap reasoning.

@OP: not total poop. If you get assigned to jury duty and you're biased about the particular case, then you can and should tell the legal system. They won't make you do it anyway.

EDIT: god people can't i write a detailed post and not get ninja'd by five of you

but yeah, my post basically supports what you all said
(also, total poop would be "guilty until proven innocent" like Britain had back in the 1700s)
__________________
Everyday I'm tumblin'
Eifie is somehow at fault for the usertitle (hint: my boyfriend is Captain Waifu)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 PM
opaltiger's Avatar
opaltiger opaltiger is offline
actually very huggable
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Cambridge, England
Age: 27
Posts: 2,990
Pronoun: He
opaltiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Have you read the opinion? If you haven't, you have no right to call him biased.

EDIT: To elaborate:

Everyone is biased. Any other judge would have brought his or her own biases to the case. The point of the judicial system is to overcome personal bias and issue opinions in line with the law. Judge Walker ruled Prop 8 unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment; if you want to argue the case, you have to tell me why it isn't unconstitutional. Whether or not he was biased is irrelevant if you can't do that.
__________________
We want to be special in a universe that is uncaring and cold, and in which the nature of our existence is a transient flicker, so we invent these strange stories of grand beginnings, like every orphan dreaming that they are the children of kings who will one day ride up on a white horse and take them away to a beautiful palace and a rich and healthy family that will love them forever. We are not princes of the earth, we are the descendants of worms, and any nobility must be earned.
— PZ Myers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
AdrianeMOD Adriane is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Age: 28
Posts: 1,913
Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
Anyone else's head want to explode at this ruling? The Judge who ruled on this case was one of the only OPENLY GAY JUDGES IN THE COUNTRY.

Bias much?
You are implying that a gay judge is not as qualified as a straight judge; sexual orientation has nothing to do with legal judging ability.

Yes there is an "argument" for bias, but when the defense of the case ADMITS THAT THEIR ARGUMENT IS BASELESS it is a clear-cut decision--the defense is waving a white flag and can't produce a decent argument; the judge's bias is a red herring

Also the Bible is a shit argument for anything ever, especially any version that isn't original Hebrew. You want to talk about bias? Try any translated Bible version. Has it ever occurred to you that there are versions?

Anybody who thinks the Bible is the literal word of God is a fucking moron.
__________________
Hi! I'm currently in the process of moving and my internet access is rather sporadic! Please forgive me, especially those in my #mafia game! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 AM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Captain Husbando
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Cornfields, PA
Age: 25
Posts: 5,849
Pronoun: they
Flora is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixie View Post
Anybody who thinks the Bible is the literal word of God is a fucking moron.
if there's one thing I learned in Theology it's that the Bible isn't even supposed to be taken literally.

this fact could probably win you every theologically-based argument ever.
__________________
Everyday I'm tumblin'
Eifie is somehow at fault for the usertitle (hint: my boyfriend is Captain Waifu)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Pwnemon's Avatar
Pwnemon Pwnemon is offline
will remain confined to the pokemon topics
 
Join Date: July 24, 2010
Location: Maryland
Age: 22
Posts: 1,257
Pronoun: He
Pwnemon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Pwnemon
Default Re: Proposition 8

Ha. It's funny because that's a Straw Man. I was clearly saying that the judge would have bias if he was gay and ruling on a case of gay rights.

Also, I didn't know there were versions. I always thought the V in NKJV meant vacuum.

Thirdly, I would think I should report you for flaming. But whatever, as I can see conservatives are not welcome in the srs business, I will retreat to the other sections of the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 AM
surskitty's Avatar
surskittyMOD surskitty is offline
「にがいのは いやだ」って…
 
Join Date: June 23, 2008
Location: Maryland
Age: 27
Posts: 4,211
Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty
Default Re: Proposition 8

What would you even report for flaming?
__________________
friend codes:
pearl (u) 1289 4685 3598; platinum (j) 3566 4513 8338; platinum (i) 4383 3839 7305; soul silver (j) 4383 1211 4378; soul silver (j; ロケットだんよ永遠に) 1076 4655 0015; soul silver (u) 2880 1770 5916;
white (j) 4469 6423 7718; black (u) 3653 9840 7445; black (s) 5157 2486 1674; white (i) 1163 4521 4228; white 2 (j) 0175 7505 7489
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Aisling's Avatar
AislingMOD Aisling is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: March 26, 2009
Posts: 2,099
Pronoun: She
Aisling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
Thirdly, I would think I should report you for flaming. But whatever, as I can see conservatives are not welcome in the srs business, I will retreat to the other sections of the forum.
Maybe if you were the Bible or something, you could report her for flaming you, I guess.
... Do you take it literally? She never said anything directly insulting you, but rather people who take the Bible literally. Is that what you're saying? Because if you do, I mean, I'm pretty sure almost the entire forum (or the entire world, even) would agree that's kind of silly considering the vast difference between how things were then and now (like how we're not having issues with underpopulation anymore and can eat pork relatively safely)...

Also, a gay person having bias in a case of gay rights is just as likely as a straight person having bias. This was addressed. Many times. Maybe you should read everything instead of just the parts you felt like you could counter.

Last edited by Aisling; 08-05-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-05-2010, 01:17 AM
AdrianeMOD Adriane is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: June 26, 2008
Location: Aiken, South Carolina
Age: 28
Posts: 1,913
Pronoun: she
Adriane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnemon View Post
Ha. It's funny because that's a Straw Man. I was clearly saying that the judge would have bias if he was gay and ruling on a case of gay rights.
That doesn't matter. You are moving away from the point; the bias is not the matter at hand. And if you're admitting it's a fallacy, why say anything about it in the first place? o_o

Quote:
Also, I didn't know there were versions. I always thought the V in NKJV meant vacuum.
Ancient scriptures that have been subject to translation and interpretation over centuries, and that have little-to-no supporting evidence are nigh useless in argument. Your sarcasm is doing nothing for you.

Quote:
Thirdly, I would think I should report you for flaming. But whatever, as I can see conservatives are not welcome in the srs business, I will retreat to the other sections of the forum.
Good... luck? And I could give my opinions on conservatives and conservative thought but I won't. Mind you I live in one of the most conservative states in the country.
__________________
Hi! I'm currently in the process of moving and my internet access is rather sporadic! Please forgive me, especially those in my #mafia game! Thanks!

Last edited by Adriane; 08-05-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lgbt, proposition 8

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.