The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Anime-Style Battling > ASB Central

Notices

Old 03-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Banned

Pronoun: she
blazheirio889 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorken View Post
How much energy should Solar Beam cost in the sun
Actually I think it should cost the same (so, base 7%) except that it won't need the extra 3% to do in one action.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:49 PM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Another question about pledges. In-game, when two pokémon use pledge moves, only the second to move actually executes the move. Is it the same in ASB, or do both moves get executed successfully with the second carrying along the special effect? The wording is a little unclear.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbird View Post
Another question about pledges. In-game, when two pokémon use pledge moves, only the second to move actually executes the move. Is it the same in ASB, or do both moves get executed successfully with the second carrying along the special effect? The wording is a little unclear.
Considering that the combined move has double the power, I think only the second to move actually executes the move. I'll go ahead and edit it to make it clearer.

I have a question of my own. Adaptability increases energy costs of moves outside the Pokemon's typing by 1.2x. Does that also count for non-damaging moves? Personally I'd lean towards yes, since the extra STAB is really quite powerful, so with it you don't really have much of a reason to use damaging moves outside your STAB, and that would make the drawback pretty much moot. What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Everyone call me elf monster.

Pronoun: She
Noctowl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be honest with you, I have no idea how combos work. Do you combine the damage of each move, as well as the energy? I don't really know, and the section about combos doesn't really go into any detail.
With lights turned up, it's hard to hide
Sometimes I want to disappear"

Last fm~Neopets~GPXplus~Steam ID
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 PM
broke ASB

Pronoun: Any
Crazy Linoone is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Crazy Linoone

@Noctowl: Combos usually deal combined damage plus a bit more, as well as combined energy plus a bit more. The "plus a bit more" is a mostly a ref's discretion sort of thing.

Take, for example, this Agility + Flame Charge combo. Or the energy calculations from this Quick Attack + Fly (up) .

||||||||||||||
Old 03-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Banned

Pronoun: It
allitersonance is an unknown quantity at this point

Combos haven't really been hammered down, but it's really mostly up to ref interpretation.

Negrek's method was adding the damage of both attacks +3% damage at the end (bonus varies, if the combo works well), and the energy cost was a few points more than both would have cost separately, depending on logic. It's simple and convenient and I dislike it. I think that's more for gameplay purposes than logic, really.

To me, combining two attacks should be less effective than both separately, but would be more powerful than either one individually, so I make the base damage in between the strongest attack and the combined totals, with the exact power varying depending on how well the two combine together. Generally (with a being the base power of the stronger attack) (also assuming the combo is 100% successful), I do something like [a + 0.5b] to [a + 0.75b]. If type effectiveness/STAB works differently on the types of both moves, I take the ratios of the base powers of the moves to calculate effectiveness separately (so if the ratio of a to b is 3:1, three quarters of the base damage goes by STAB/effectiveness rules for a and one quarter for b). My energy cost would just be the two individual costs combined, since the damage is less, but I might add or subtract a couple of points depending on how well the moves fit together.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:59 AM
Banned

I also disliked Negrek's method of doing combos, both flavour-wise and mechanics-wise. Flavour-wise, let's consider something like uh Quick Attack + Body Slam? You only hit the target once with a combo, and though the extra speed would make the combo more powerful than Body Slam by itself, I really can't imagine it doing as much damage as two separate impacts, let alone more damage.

Mechanics-wise, if a combo will always be more powerful than the two separate attacks, why would you /not/ use a combo? Combos already have a great advantage in that you can combine properties of moves (e.g. Quick Attack + Body Slam would have priority and good damage; Fire Punch + Mega Punch would have the fire-typing and much higher damage) and that you can squeeze two moves into one action (again, Quick Attack + Body Slam is a good example, if you need to deal more damage with priority in one action). Those are the advantages they should be noted and used for, and I think the added advantage of extra damage would lead to the overuse of combos.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:57 AM
whispers in gay

Pronoun: he/him
shy ♡ is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just have combos do added damage of both attacks, with a bit of extra energy? Then it's not better than doing the attacks individually all the time, except for whatever bonus you'd get by combining them at that opportunity.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 AM
Banned

Pronoun: It
allitersonance is an unknown quantity at this point

They shouldn't be as good as just flatly adding both attacks together either. It's situational when it matters but then it's overly powerful that you can do the full damage of two actions in the time it takes to do one. The whole "doesn't make sense" thing blazhy was talking about applies to doing the damage of both moves together as much as it does having a bonus on top.

The advantages of combos should be adding the properties of the moves other than damage, otherwise you may as well do them on two separate actions.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 AM
up to no good

Totodile is an unknown quantity at this point

How much more energy does Copycat + Copycatted move take to use than the Copycatted move would have used on its own?
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 AM
Banned

From what I've seen, refs usually smack on an extra 1-2% energy. Since Copycat doesn't really have any effect other than copying a move, I'd probably go with 1%.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:45 AM
whispers in gay

Pronoun: he/him
shy ♡ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by allitersonance View Post
They shouldn't be as good as just flatly adding both attacks together either. It's situational when it matters but then it's overly powerful that you can do the full damage of two actions in the time it takes to do one. The whole "doesn't make sense" thing blazhy was talking about applies to doing the damage of both moves together as much as it does having a bonus on top.

The advantages of combos should be adding the properties of the moves other than damage, otherwise you may as well do them on two separate actions.
I don't see why it should have to be weaker? It's not like you're gaining an action afterwards, you're still using up both actions. So making it weaker is kinda unfair.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
but is a sheep entering.

Meowth is an unknown quantity at this point

Because if you're comboing two attacks chances are you're doing so because you gain some advantage you wouldn't get from using them separately, I guess. Or from a flavour perspective a Pokémon that has to execute two attacks simultaneously probably won't be able to give either its full attention, so each one comes out a little less potent than if it has channeled all its energies into one attack at a time.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Doosic Maggon

Music Dragon is on a distinguished road

What happens if a burned Pokémon obtains Flash Fire? Does it continue to take damage, is the status removed, or does the burn remain but without doing anything?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon View Post
What happens if a burned Pokémon obtains Flash Fire? Does it continue to take damage, is the status removed, or does the burn remain but without doing anything?
As far as I can tell Flash Fire doesn't interact with burns (so a non-Fire Pokemon can get burned by Tri Attack, for example). So as long as the burned Pokemon obtaining Flash Fire remains a non-Fire type, the status should persist and it should continue taking damage.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Snake Friend

Vipera Magnifica is on a distinguished road

Does Flying Gem + Acrobatics give the flying gem boost as well as the increased acrobatics damage like it does in-game?
Old 03-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipera Magnifica View Post
Does Flying Gem + Acrobatics give the flying gem boost as well as the increased acrobatics damage like it does in-game?
Yep.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 AM
I am the man who arranges the blocks.

Pronoun: they/her/hers
Meursault is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Dragon View Post
Flash Fire does indeed not affect burns, and further no changes to type affect pre-existing status conditions in-game as far as I'm aware; ie. Poison-typed Kecleon stay poisoned.

EDIT: On another note, if someone forfeits their first battle, does the ref still get the $15 bonus for completion?

Last edited by Meursault; 03-12-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
Flash Fire does indeed not affect burns, and further no changes to type affect pre-existing status conditions in-game as far as I'm aware; ie. Poison-typed Kecleon stay poisoned.

EDIT: On another note, if someone forfeits their first battle, does the ref still get the $15 bonus for completion?
Ahh, I suppose I was misled by the arena description of this battle, but yeah, you're right.

Uhh. To be honest I don't even know if we were actually still giving out that bonus and/or keeping track of it, but I'll say you can go ahead and have it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:58 AM
oh man, good times.

Eifie is on a distinguished road

Okay, like, I keep wondering about this. Does it really make sense for never-miss moves where the reason for the never-missing is like, the user taking the opponent by surprise in some way (e.g. Aerial Ace, Feint Attack) to always hit the right thing when the opponent has clones? For moves that are spread-out or hone on to their opponent in some way it makes sense, but it's always kind of bothered me that for some reason Aerial Ace always happens to pick the right thing to fly at at unavoidable speed, or whatever.