The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Anime-Style Battling > ASB Central

Notices

Old 03-15-2015, 02:58 AM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird
Default Re: Question Box

I would ref a Focus Punch+Other Punch Move combo as a Focus-Punch type deal with the damage of Focus Punch and the secondary effects of the combo'ed move (so you could do a Fire-type focus punch with Focus Punch+Fire Punch that would have a 10% chance to burn, or restore half the dealt damage with Focus Punch+Drain Punch). I don't think it would be overpowered or sacrificing the integrity of the move - Solarbeam is canonically a two-turn attack, so it would make sense that charging wouldn't disrupt it, whereas Focus Punch is only one turn, and besides, you're using up the entire next action. You could think of it as the punch needs more time to focus because of the secondary effects, and that puts it essentially between actions, thus taking up both of them.

As for the long-gone Protean issue, the pokémon's type is independent of its ability. Once the pokémon loses the Protean ability, it simply loses the ability to change type any more. Its type stays the same as what it was at the time the pokémon lost Protean. It works the same way as Color Change.

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 AM
Beauty, brawn and Frontier Brains.

M&F has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangfroidish View Post
And moreover, in the games, Protean always takes effect before the used move does; as such, using a move that changes the user's type while the user also has Protean will work like this: the user changes type to the type's move, as per Protean, and then the move takes effect and changes the user's type again. Ultimately, the move's type change prevails. EDIT: And now I realize I misread the question completely, but yes, the user should retain the type they had when Protean was inutilized.

As for the Focus Combo issue: whether it flies at all may largely depend on the referee, as will tend to be the case with combos, but any combos involving Focus Punch should definitely have Focus Punch's lower priority, and should be integrally disrupted if the focusing Pokémon is struck.

#cometobabahl
(click colias -- you know you want to -- for asb profile)
Old 03-15-2015, 03:09 AM
groove out!

Pronoun: they or she
Zhorken is an unknown quantity at this point

What I was getting at is it's not going to have even lower priority than Focus Punch alone, is it?

Regardless I don't think I'm gonna try it.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorken View Post
What I was getting at is it's not going to have even lower priority than Focus Punch alone, is it?

Regardless I don't think I'm gonna try it.
It would actually probably take longer than a regular Focus Punch, since there's more to focus on (then again, depending on the referee, Speed order may matter more). Combos don't always meet in the middle.

ETA: You may or may not be able to speed it up slightly by chaining a priority move instead (Bullet Punch comes to mind); the extent of this effect would also hinge heavily on the referee, and would also potentially not be very useful at all.

#cometobabahl
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Resolute

Pronoun: he, they
Keldeo is on a distinguished road

If a Rhyhorn (or other Pokemon with a similar evolutionary line) battled while holding a protector and fulfilled the experience requirements for Rhydon, would it be able to evolve straight to Rhyperior or would it have to battle as a Rhydon first?

If an emergency ref goes MIA and an emergency emergency ref picks up the battle, how would the end-of-battle ref prize be divided?

Can Pokemon stop nonphysical trapping moves like Fire Spin, or are they out of the Pokemon's control once they've started?

Is movement order determined before the action starts or during the action? For example, if I have Scatterbug (speed: 35) and Ninjask versus Deino (speed: 38) and Munchlax in a double battle, and Ninjask lowers Deino's speed, who moves next?

Roost's description says "Restores 50% of the user's health, and removes its Flying type, if applicable, until the end of the next action" -- should this be "until the end of the user's next action", since presumably it would lift off for that? Can Pokemon be commanded to stay Roosting while performing attacks they would logically be able to do while grounded, or to Roost, perform an attack, and go back to roosting (in a similar vein to Fly)?

How should Natural Gift be reffed right now for Pokemon with signature moves? Is there some way to access Pokemon's signature moves/attributes on the database?

Can users of Magnet Rise control the height that they rise to when ordering the move, or during the move's duration?

Can single-target moves that can be swept around to target all Double Team clones be used in the same way to target multiple opponents?

Can Protect/detect/king's shield, etc. be dropped (to let a certain attack through, or something) and then re-sustained in one action?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:26 PM

I'll have to give some of those time, thought, or checking, but to clear the quicker ones:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keldeo View Post
If a Rhyhorn (or other Pokemon with a similar evolutionary line) battled while holding a protector and fulfilled the experience requirements for Rhydon, would it be able to evolve straight to Rhyperior or would it have to battle as a Rhydon first?
It would have to fulfill the evolution requirements as a Rhydon.

Quote:
Is movement order determined before the action starts or during the action? For example, if I have Scatterbug (speed: 35) and Ninjask versus Deino (speed: 38) and Munchlax in a double battle, and Ninjask lowers Deino's speed, who moves next?
In-game, Deino would move first; ref discretion is applicable, however.

Quote:
How should Natural Gift be reffed right now for Pokemon with signature moves? Is there some way to access Pokemon's signature moves/attributes on the database?
Natural Gift is actually slated to be overhauled to get something much closer to its regular in-game effect. I'm a little surprised it isn't already done, actually.

Quote:
Can users of Magnet Rise control the height that they rise to when ordering the move, or during the move's duration?
Yes, but to a rather limited extent.

Quote:
Can single-target moves that can be swept around to target all Double Team clones be used in the same way to target multiple opponents?
Best as I can recall, yes.

Quote:
Can Protect/detect/king's shield, etc. be dropped (to let a certain attack through, or something) and then re-sustained in one action?
No.

#cometobabahl
Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Banned

Pronoun: she
blazheirio889 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll go ahead and answer the questions that MF didn't.

Quote:
If an emergency ref goes MIA and an emergency emergency ref picks up the battle, how would the end-of-battle ref prize be divided?
The end-of-battle ref prize is equally divided between all of the refs.

Quote:
Can Pokemon stop nonphysical trapping moves like Fire Spin, or are they out of the Pokemon's control once they've started?
Since the user doesn't continuously feed energy into nonphysical trapping moves (and likely not physical trapping moves, either, though there's more ref discretion wiggle room in that), I don't think the user has direct control over it once it's started?

Quote:
Roost's description says "Restores 50% of the user's health, and removes its Flying type, if applicable, until the end of the next action" -- should this be "until the end of the user's next action", since presumably it would lift off for that? Can Pokemon be commanded to stay Roosting while performing attacks they would logically be able to do while grounded, or to Roost, perform an attack, and go back to roosting (in a similar vein to Fly)?
I think it should be "until the user's next action", actually, that does make more sense.

As for the "continue to Roost" thing, I imagine you mean continue to lose the Flying-type? In that case, I'm leaning towards no, since just landing on the ground doesn't remove the Flying-type. I think it's the actual roosting and resting to regain HP that removes the Flying-type, so if you move around the ground and do things other than roosting/resting, I think you should have your Flying-type back.

Last edited by blazheirio889; 03-15-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: whoops misread question
Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Fire emblem is great

Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Speaking of which, are signature moves and attributes slated for return any time soon?

If I'm reffing your ASB battle, you can find my reffing scale in this document. Mostly it involves details on stat modifications and status conditions, as well as my interpretation of the damage formula, other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Showdown VGC
[23:53:13] +0riginalTrainer: This is a direct result of the patriarchy.
[23:53:51] +J.D.Deuce: feminism is awesome
[23:53:52] +Viscereal: uh please address me by my pronouns
[23:53:59] +Viscereal: loom/looms/loomself
[23:54:35] +0riginalTrainer: You white male cis scum, check you privilege. No matter how many documents you throw in front of me, the wage gap is real.
[23:54:58] +J.D.Deuce: you've been warned lol
[23:55:14] +B1SHARP: So you believe that fathers deserve the same leave after they have an at home newborn as mothers?
[23:55:40] +0riginalTrainer: So you believe that women should be drafted too?
[23:55:45] +B1SHARP: Yes
[23:55:45] +Viscereal: yes, when they have a baby shove itself through their dick they can get work off
[23:55:47] +Takron Galtos: I'd settle just for at-home leave actually be guarunteed without penalties for mothers.
[23:55:51] +Superbird: you know what we need right now
[23:55:53] +Takron Galtos: That's not even standard yet.
[23:56:00] +0riginalTrainer: What I hate about feminism is that it turns a lot of male issues into female issues, then calls it feminism.
[23:56:02] +Viscereal: challenge cup round robin?
[23:56:03] +Superbird: a tourney to distract everyone from controvertial discussion
[23:56:03] @amr97: another tournament
[23:56:06] @amr97: hurry hurry
[23:56:08] +Superbird: NAILED IT
[23:56:11] +KillerOrcas: woah there what happened here
Battle Spot Doubles (VGC 2015) Single Elimination Tournament created.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Metapod

Pronoun: it
Zekrom_B0lt is an unknown quantity at this point

What is to be done if someone is versing someone that isn't around ?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 AM
Banned

Pronoun: It
allitersonance is an unknown quantity at this point

When they pass the DQ time, they lose by DQ, typically. Standard procedure.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Metapod

while the asb db is down how can we check on moves that are known by a pokemon ?

veekun ?

serebii ?

bulbapedia ?

smogon ?

some other method ?
Old 03-16-2015, 01:28 PM
Everyone call me elf monster.

Pronoun: She
Noctowl is an unknown quantity at this point

All of those are fine. I used to use them in the old asb.
And stay the night, turn out every light you see
And lay them down, buried in the ground for me."

Last fm~Neopets~GPXplus~Steam ID
Old 03-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Cat Foetus Jesus

Pronoun: he
Knuddeluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Knuddeluff

This has probably been asked before but I'm incredibly lazy

Are Pokémon allowed to use moves they learn exclusively via events? Such as:

Phanpy with Absorb
Eevee with Growth
Psyduck with Petal Dance
Old 03-16-2015, 02:43 PM
pretty good

Pronoun: she
qva is on a distinguished road

Pokémon can only use the moves that are on their page, but since that's down for the time being, my intuition says that they probably can't use event-only moves, no.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Be Bold (+Def, -Atk)

TruetoCheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddeluff View Post
This has probably been asked before but I'm incredibly lazy

Are Pokémon allowed to use moves they learn exclusively via events? Such as:

Phanpy with Absorb
Eevee with Growth
Psyduck with Petal Dance
They can't use event moves. I tried making my Pichu Surf.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Cat Foetus Jesus

Pronoun: he
Knuddeluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Knuddeluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruetoCheese View Post
They can't use event moves. I tried making my Pichu Surf.
That's a shame, but I guess an Espeon with Growth would be a little bit OP.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:10 PM
groove out!

Event moves are going to be available soon — they're not useable right now, but they were legal in the old league, and gathering an up-to-date list of event moves to add to the db is on my to-do list.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Metapod

if sleep talk is used would explosion be possibly be a random move used while its asleep ?
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM
groove out!

I'd also like to clarify that if you use other Pokédexes, you do so at your own risk — I'm not sure how trustworthy other sites' OR/AS data is, and the Database is the final word on what a Pokémon can use. It'll be back up before the end of the day. (I got my hands on an Omega Ruby ROM and ripped OR/AS data directly into the Database, for the record.)

(EDIT: Zekrom posted while I was posting but I'm going to leave that question to MF.)

Last edited by Zhorken; 03-16-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:27 PM
chah, dude

The Omskivar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekrom_B0lt View Post
if sleep talk is used would explosion be possibly be a random move used while its asleep ?
I believe there's precedent for it (I can't find it, but I'm almost positive there was a Pokemon that rolled Selfdestruct), and Explosion/Selfdestruct aren't listed on Bulbapedia as ever having been un-Metronomable, so yes

EDIT: sorry, thought I read Metronome, but it's not listed as being un-Sleep Talkable either, so I think still yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Omskivar
Anyway hi I'm The Omskivar