The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > Pokémon Video Games > Upcoming Games

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 AM
beep beep coming through

Pronoun: Any
Kratos Aurion is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Black & White English names

And just because today was the first day IGN revealed them means that that's the first time anyone has seen those names? Plenty of people saw things through leaks before, so who says that those nine-or-whatever names weren't leaked and immediately snapped up by a prankster? I would consider IGN a better source than plenty of other crap we've seen so far, so it's not that on its own that's bothering me at all. I doubt IGN would fake the braviary screen, at any rate.

You can form whatever opinions you like as long as you are taking them with a grain of salt. Not everyone does and that's the kind of idiocy I'd like to see less of. I still see little point in bothering with rumors, regardless of how convincing they might be. If nothing else, it would allow people to enjoy this relatively low period of wankwankwank for just a little bit longer before they are confirmed and the RUINED FOREVERs resurface en masse.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 AM
blame telegram

Pronoun: He
JackPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Bahahahaha. I like some of these.

What bothers me is, whether these are real or not, once the official names are officially out and confirmed, there are going to be some stupid ones in there, and everybody and their mother is going to be complaining and I wish* we could just skip fourish years forward to when people are too concerned with the Japanese Gen 6 leaks to argue about Gen 5 anymore.

I'm getting tired of having to pull out the whole "JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR NOSTALGIA GLASSES ON DOESN'T MEAN SOME OF GEN 1 WASN'T STUPID TOO HURR DURR LOOK AT MUK, IT'S JUST A BIGGER GRIMER, LOOK AT EKANS AND ARBOK THEIR NAMES ARE STUPID, HURR DURR HURR DURR" argument every time I talk to anybody.

* I just wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school. I wish I could bake a cake made out of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.

---

EDIT and just because I feel like it, a list of my likes and dislikes (or at least, what immediately jumps out at me).

All the starters except Tepig's evolutions
Liepard
Tranquill
Audino (I mean, c'mon. Audio + I dunno.)
Palpatineitoad
Whimsicott
Krookodile - could only be better if they spelled it Crookodile
Maractus
Yamask (If I'm not mistaken, does "Yam" come from Japanese "Yami" = "dark" ? If so, this is an odd way of replacing Japanese with... other Japanese.)
Trubbish and Garbodor. Hee hee. Trubbish.
Gothita and Solosis's whole lines sound like more sensible translations of the Japanese romaji than the Japanese copyrighted names are.
Ducklett
Vanillite's whole line, especially Vanillish. It's delish. Bahaha
Foongus amoongus.
Frillish and Jellicent.
Litwick's whole line. But especially Litwick.
Axew's whole line. My favorite ought to be Haxorus, but I just love Fraxure best for some reason.
Shelmet.
Druddigon gets props for using "ruddy" (an adjective nobody in America seems to use! or at least nobody in the Deep South) instead of something more obvious like "crimson"
BRAVIARY
VULLABY
For some reason I love that they changed the flying legends' suffix from "los" to "us"/"rus".

So-So
Tepig's evolutions
Unfezant (I mean, I get "pheasant", but couldn't the name be a little less opaque?)
Sawsbuck - say whaaaa?
Beheeyem... behemoth?
Deigno's whole line.

Dislike
Roggenrola. But mostly because Sturdy has been changed to be an auto Choice Band and I will see and hate these things in every cave ever so I might as well get used to hating them now.
Sewaddle's whole line
Cofagrigus. Even once you're over the whole fag thing, it sounds like poop.
Ferroseed/Ferrothorn, mostly because Ferro- is totally overused in fakemon Steel-types.
Cryogonal. Because cryo- is overused in mentions of ice in general. But also mostly because I just hate the Pokemon to begin with anyway. I mean, what is it? You have to squint to find a face.
I think Melarva and Ulgamoth will be the only names in the entire 'Dex that I will be attached to enough to still use (for awhile, at least).

if you feel like it, click on my GPX+ party below! :3

Last edited by JackPK; 01-14-2011 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Dirty minds think alike~

Pronoun: She
Wargle is an unknown quantity at this point

Krookodile? Oh HEEEEEEEELL NAW.

Braviary for Wargle?? OH HEEEELL NAW. Guess what the nicknam'es gonna be? Wargle.

Archeops is fantastic though.

Deerling. wow. Creativity people.

^Same with Foogus. Amongus.... oh dear god please be fake...

Litwick for a candle? REALLY?

Here is my scroll

Have a link to my eggs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimdour View Post
WOAH WOAH WOAH. CHARIZARD AIN'T GOT NUTHIN ON MAH HOMEBWOII HOUNDOOM. DEM HORNS MAN. DEM HORNS.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:52 AM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_the_PumpkinKing View Post
Bahahahaha. I like some of these.

What bothers me is, whether these are real or not, once the official names are officially out and confirmed, there are going to be some stupid ones in there, and everybody and their mother is going to be complaining and I wish* we could just skip fourish years forward to when people are too concerned with the Japanese Gen 6 leaks to argue about Gen 5 anymore.

I'm getting tired of having to pull out the whole "JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE YOUR NOSTALGIA GLASSES ON DOESN'T MEAN SOME OF GEN 1 WASN'T STUPID TOO HURR DURR LOOK AT [REDACTED; BETOBETON], IT'S JUST A BIGGER [REDACTED; BETOBETAA], LOOK AT [REDACTED; AABO] AND [REDACTED; AABOKKU] THEIR NAMES ARE STUPID, HURR DURR HURR DURR" argument every time I talk to anybody.
I hate it when people go on about how the new pokémon suck! ... This is why I had NO SQUEE-HARSHING in the topic for #tcod for a while.

99% of the reason I'm going I AM BOYCOTTING THE ENGLISH NAMES is that I figure if I refuse to use English names for a bit, *somebody* is going to notice that the Japanese names are often awful. Also I figure that if I'm more hardcore about it than whoever goes I AM NOT USING THE ENGLISH NAMES!! then I can mock them mercilessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargle View Post
[REDACTED; WARUBIARU]? Oh HEEEEEEEELL NAW.

[REDACTED; WOOGURU] for Wargle?? OH HEEEELL NAW. Guess what the nicknam'es gonna be? Wargle.

[REDACTED; AAKEOSU] is fantastic though.

[REDACTED; SHIKIJIKA] wow. Creativity people.

^Same with [REDACTED; TAMAGETAKE]. [REDACTED; MOROBARERU].... oh dear god please be fake...

[REDACTED; HITOMOSHI] for a candle? REALLY?
Thank you for proving my point so beautifully.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:23 AM
Zoltea - The Jolteon

Zoltea is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Zoltea Send a message via Yahoo to Zoltea Send a message via Skype™ to Zoltea

I updated the list on the first post. However, as the other names are not from an official source, I will not post them as of yet.

I myself get used to English names fast. I don't evaluate them really. Figure that Pokémon names in English aren't the only stupid sounding things in English. :P

EDIT:
I browsed around on the interwbz:

~pettyartist

Time until the U.S. release of Black and White (EST):

Countdown script from here.

(If you can't see the actual countdown but wish to, look at my first post on the page.)

Last edited by Zoltea; 01-14-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
if the nineth lion ate the sun.

Pronoun: she
Tailsy is on a distinguished road

WHIMSICOTT

that is all.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:41 AM
blame telegram

JackPK is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by enekoiru View Post
I hate it when people go on about how the new pokémon suck! ... This is why I had NO SQUEE-HARSHING in the topic for #tcod for a while.

99% of the reason I'm going I AM BOYCOTTING THE ENGLISH NAMES is that I figure if I refuse to use English names for a bit, *somebody* is going to notice that the Japanese names are often awful. Also I figure that if I'm more hardcore about it than whoever goes I AM NOT USING THE ENGLISH NAMES!! then I can mock them mercilessly.Thank you for proving my point so beautifully.
I think you and I are trying to do the exact same thing (make people take off the nostalgia glasses) in two totally different ways (you by rejecting the English names, me by rejecting the Japanese names where an official English one is present).

Except I'm less vocal about my soapbox.

if you feel like it, click on my GPX+ party below! :3

Old 01-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Everyone call me elf monster.

Noctowl is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahahahahaaaa

Woobat.

That is so funny why did they name it that.

I can't wait to see what Kokoromori's name is.

I like the other names too I suppose. Though Pants lizard needed a more hardcore name.

Last fm~Neopets~GPXplus~Steam ID
Old 01-14-2011, 06:20 AM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_the_PumpkinKing View Post
I think you and I are trying to do the exact same thing (make people take off the nostalgia glasses) in two totally different ways (you by rejecting the English names, me by rejecting the Japanese names where an official English one is present).

Except I'm less vocal about my soapbox.
Well, your soapbox is less awesome than mine and also the default sensible position.

Last edited by surskitty; 01-14-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM
i married MD, u were all too slow

ultraviolet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargle
Deerling. wow. Creativity people.
:| the english pokemon names are pretty well known for being fairly uncreative, and many of them are lame puns or wordplay. I mean 'wargle' just looks like 'war eagle' to me and I don't really see how that's much more creative than 'deerling'. I'm reserving judgement on any of these until they're all confirmed :/
Old 01-14-2011, 10:29 AM
I am the man who arranges the blocks.

Pronoun: they/her/hers
Meursault is an unknown quantity at this point

FUCK YEAH ROGGENROLLA

Fraxure is p. cool too.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:05 AM
THIS IS HOW WE BLEED

Coloursfall has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to Coloursfall

I'll be sad if these are fake :C These are my favourites. Because:

1. I am a huge Germanfag
2. ahaha I was gunna name my one of these in ASB Ein, then Zwei, then Drei as it evolved
3. I have an RP group called Dreigeist, and I shall name it after the group. I'll do this anyway, but.
---
they told me I should back down, all around, not a sound, dirty little freak

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Butterfree

Harlequin is an unknown quantity at this point

Braviary is actually kind of awesome, but "Wargle" works just as well!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Tragically unbeyachted.

Dannichu is an unknown quantity at this point

To my ears, "Wargle" sounds like a noise a drowning person would make. I've always thought it a bit of a silly name for a cool Pokemon. I think Braviary is infinitely cooler.

I will never be able to pronounce Litwick's name how (I assume) it's meant to be said. It's too close to Flitwick, so little Candlemon will forever be "Littick" to me.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
groove out!

Pronoun: they or she
Zhorken is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Dannichu on this—even though some of these names are bad, the original 151 definitely had some worse names, and I can forgive it all anyway for the adorable stroke of genius that is Lillipup's name.

There are a few I have linguistic trifles with—"Servine" because it sounds like "cervine", "Braviary" because an aviary is where you keep birds and "Bravian" would make more sense—but I think they pretty much all sound fine. "Throh" and "Sawk" amuse me enough to make up for their lameness. "Cofagrigus" is a bit unfortunate and sort of ugly besides that, but not that awful.

"Sawsbuck" is a cool name; I'm a bit iffy on it being gendered on a Pokémon with a 1:1 gender ratio, but female Mr Mime sound perfectly fine to me now, so I'm guessing I'll stop seeing it as gendered after a bit. Whimsicott, Litwick, and Tynamo are adorable; Purrloin is a brilliant pun; I'm glad too that Scraggy and Scrafty's names don't reference their being half urban-thug caricatures, and Mandibuzz and Bouffalant are relieving for similar reasons... Really, I love these names on the whole.

Also I can't help but giggle at Boldore because my first thought was "SNIVY KILLED DUMBOLDORE." I want to make a team consisting of Dumboldore and Professor Litwick and find four other puns to fit the theme.

EDIT: OH on the same note as Sawsbuck, Big Pecks is "Coeur de Coq" in French, literally "Cock Heart"—they don't use "cock" as a slang word for penis, but the genderedness still amuses me when Mandibuzz gets it. And both names amuse me in the case of Swanna with its breast feathers.

Also I agree on "Wargle" looking like a noise, particularly a drowning noise.

Last edited by Zhorken; 01-14-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Agaric Scribe

Gryzalb is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Gryzalb

Like:
Foongus and Amoongus: they're hilarious, even if they turn my favorite new Pokémon into a laughingstock. XD
Hydreigon: quadruple pun on hydra, dragon, drei, and possibly legion? Yes.
Druddigon: Awesome-sounding name on another of my favorite Pokémon this generation, and "drudge" is an awesome word anyways.
Sawsbuck: Summer + autumn + winter + spring = SAWS, and then Buck. Short, clever, and fitting. :)
Serperior, Samurott, and Emboar: All fitting, good-sounding names for the starters in question.
Gigalith: It sounds epic.
Sigilyph: Sigil plus glyph. For some reason I like the Pokémon with obscure words in their names this generation...
Pawniard and Bisharp: Unexpected and rather unfitting, but I like their names.
Escavalier: One of the best.

Ambivalent/Undecided:
Everything not included in either list. :P

Dislike:
Roggenrolla: No matter how good Gigalith's name is, it doesn't make this one any better in my eyes.
Audino: Unfitting and it's not especially pleasing to the ears.
Timburr, Gurdurr, and Conkledurr: As much as I dislike memes... hurr durr.
Woobat/Swoobat: *sigh*
Klink/Klang/Klinklang: ... *sigh* At least they carried over the style of the Japanese names...
Cryogonal/Braviary: Should be, as previously stated, "Cryogon" and "Bravian." Still, good effort by the translation team, even if they didn't get it right. >.>
Mandibuzz: Awesome name, just has the misfortune of being on a Dark/Flying vulture when all the name brings to mind is "BUG."
Tynamo: Meh.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:19 PM
World Of Pillows

Squornshellous Beta is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Squornshellous Beta Send a message via MSN to Squornshellous Beta Send a message via Yahoo to Squornshellous Beta Send a message via Skype™ to Squornshellous Beta

How on earth do you pronounce Reuniclus? All the ways I can think of sound odd somehow.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 PM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
:| the english pokemon names are pretty well known for being fairly uncreative, and many of them are lame puns or wordplay.
Just the english ones?

... I still love that goosuto (Ghost) is a goosuto (... ghost)/doku (poison) type.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 PM
pew

Pronoun: he
Green is an unknown quantity at this point

Drilbur evolves into Excadril.

AHAHAHA
Old 01-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Aisling is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannichu View Post
To my ears, "Wargle" sounds like a noise a drowning person would make. I've always thought it a bit of a silly name for a cool Pokemon. I think Braviary is infinitely cooler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhorken View Post
Also I agree on "Wargle" looking like a noise, particularly a drowning noise.
I always though it sounded like a noise, but it made me think of more like a bird noise. It's like warble but with a g, so it becomes all masculine and Native American eagle-ey.