Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Pokémon > General Pokémon Discussion

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Where have I been at?

Pronoun: He
CJBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to CJBlazer
Default Daily Pokemon Discussions

Hey, I don't know if this hs been done before, but Welcome to the Daily Piokemon Discussion, where once a day, we shall discuss a certain Pokemon. Discussions can range from general design to movesets to stats to, well, I am sure you get it. So, lets begin shall we.

Today's Pokemon shall be.....Salamence.

Salamence is among my favorite aerial dragons. He is great, with great moves such as Dragonbreath, Flamethower, Hyper Beam, and the like. I also like the story behindb his evolution, how he gained the ability to fly by wanting it.

I am not sure on stats since I am not the statistic type, but I am sure Salamence hs a high attak power.

Made by me

Last edited by CJBlazer; 03-12-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Caterpie

TonyMHFan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Daily Pokemon Discussions

Salamence just looks cool, it's eyes are piercing.

Was fun to catch in the Ranger Series too !
Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Witch of Light

Pronoun: She
sv_01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sometimes think of Salamence as a dragon version of Butterfree.
And it learns Fly right after evolving, which, given what the Pokédex says about the line, has an interesting effect.

Yay!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Bringer of Peace

Nanabshuckle8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, Salamence is cool, really viscious-looking, you know why it has intimidate. Haven't really played with it, but I'd assume it's strong as hell. Not the fantastic movepool of Dragonite of course, but good enough to make it a real threat. Overall a dangerous powerhouse.
I HATE bricks. That red colour is despicable, the feeling is dusty, harsh and disgusting and anything built in bricks generally looks incredibly ugly in my eyes. It reminds me of the industrial revolution, all of those emotionless, cold factories. *shivers* More of these will come!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Done.

Pronoun: Me
Cerberus87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cerberus87

Salamence is very powerful and was banned to Ubers in 4th gen because of its ability to spam Draco Meteor, Outrage and whatever the hell it does with great effect. Garchomp is even more dangerous, though.

And Dragonite has more moves but worse ability and stat distribution.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
「にがいのは いやだ」って…

Pronoun: they
surskitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to surskitty Send a message via MSN to surskitty Send a message via Yahoo to surskitty Send a message via Skype™ to surskitty

Salamence looks really, really stupid.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Bringer of Peace

Nanabshuckle8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Salamence is very powerful and was banned to Ubers in 4th gen because of its ability to spam Draco Meteor, Outrage and whatever the hell it does with great effect. Garchomp is even more dangerous, though.

True, Garchomp truly was, and still is a force to be reckoned with. And dude, yeah, Inner Focus is almost useless, but you know about it's dream world ability? Multiscale? As long as Dragonite has full health any direct damage is halved. That along with Drizzle Politoad and STAB Hurricane skyrocketed it in competative battling, just sayin'.

As for the stats, Dragonite is more verstile there as well, it's bulkier, but has a bit lower sp.atk and it also sacrifices some speed, but it's still enough for it to run attacking, bulky stalling, supportive and even sweeper sets. Salamence on the other hand is sort of limited to sweeper/attacker sets. Yes, Salamence is more powerful, but Dragonite is more versitile.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I think it's wings look a bit wierd.
I cannot say "R". I never learned how to, so I developed a "french" R in the back of my mouth instead. It works quite well, though it's impossible for me to say certain things. Appearently I speak a bit unclearly as well (or is it just my half-deaf father -_-) so sometimes it can be a bit hard to hear what I say.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Egahds, I've been gone a long while!

Pronoun: Him
Spatz is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I find Salamence interesting, primarily due to it's wing design. Due to my extensive imagination I often think about things, and one thing that often stumped me was the skeletal structure of Salamence's wings.

As a in-game useable pokemon, it's a little awkward, as it is a very (posts sootopolis) late game acquirement, and raising it in such a short period of time (with the assumption of use in the league) is quite difficult, and personally the most difficult of all dragons (other than Deino).

Despite this it is an effective battler, and as a league fighter it will often dominate due to only two league members (possibly three if Emerald and Wallace) that pose a threat, and honestly, it's fast enough to hit them hard enough to beat them.

Metagaming-wise it had been forced to the uber tier back in gen IV, but as of currrent I don't actually know. I know it's powerful in physical form, but had reliable enough sp attack to fall back on to fire blast a skarmory. It, like most psuedo-ubers isn't too terribly fast, but it is bulky enough for a dragon. Personally I like it better than Dragonite, even if it doesn't have a movepool as diverse.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Done.

Pronoun: Me
Cerberus87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Cerberus87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabshuckle8 View Post
True, Garchomp truly was, and still is a force to be reckoned with. And dude, yeah, Inner Focus is almost useless, but you know about it's dream world ability? Multiscale? As long as Dragonite has full health any direct damage is halved. That along with Drizzle Politoad and STAB Hurricane skyrocketed it in competative battling, just sayin'.

As for the stats, Dragonite is more verstile there as well, it's bulkier, but has a bit lower sp.atk and it also sacrifices some speed, but it's still enough for it to run attacking, bulky stalling, supportive and even sweeper sets. Salamence on the other hand is sort of limited to sweeper/attacker sets. Yes, Salamence is more powerful, but Dragonite is more versitile.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that I think it's wings look a bit wierd.
I don't know much about Dream World since I'm not into 5th gen yet. I know Gyarados gets Moxie though which really suits it.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Sciiiieeeennnccceee

Pronoun: she
Emperor_Evulz is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post

Let's not forget it has usable speed compared to the other dragons. I liked Salamence because I could spam roost.

But I like Dragonite better because it can learn Thunder Wave and Extremespeed. Also, Salamence looks very ferocious. Dragonite looks happy and cuddly:)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM
oops, did it again

Pronoun: they
Dar is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I like Salamence due to it's effective battling, but I don't usually use it. I feel its overused. But, anyway, onto it's looks, the only part I like about it is the wings. I feel it looks too ferocious. I know there's nothing wrong with that, but I tend to like pokemon that look intimidating, but seem like they aren't the kind of pokemon that would eat a village.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 AM
Strange days ahead

Byrus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Byrus

Salamence's wings are hilarious.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 AM
Banned

Pronoun: she
blazheirio889 is an unknown quantity at this point

Salamence's design isn't bad, but there are some designs that are offputting. Its wings are... very oddly shaped, to put it mildly. And the roundness and size of its belly seems at odds with its fierce expression. I feel like... it'd rip your head off if it could, but it moves too slow to catch up to you with that big belly and stumpy legs.

I do love the story of its evolution, though, and competitively this guy is great. A rather unpredictably powerhouse - it could be going Specs with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, etc. for all you know. Myself, I ran a Yache Berry set to bluff a scarf or band and to get the drop on Ice Sharders. The extra speed or power was missed though.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 AM
Beauty, brawn and Frontier Brains.

M&F has disabled reputation

I once saw somebody remark that Salamence's wings look like they're made of cardboard (specially in the R/S/E sprites, where they're more orange-brown than red). All this time plotting and changing inside the white shell, and strapping cardboard wings on is all your Bagon could come up with. And it works.

Aside from that, Salamence are one of the coolest Pokémon ever. I'd say they're even on par with Aggron and Rayquaza.

#cometobabahl
(click colias -- you know you want to -- for asb profile)
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 AM
rage against the dying of the light

RespectTheBlade is an unknown quantity at this point

Dragons in general are some of my favorites. Salamence, I like due to its stats (for me, speed.) Plus it has a wide moveset, it's really good competitively, and has an interesting and somewhat plausible story behind it. I personally really like the design, with the exception of the wings. They look a bit too small to lift up a bulky pokemon like Salamence. It's not one ov my favorites (to me, it just looks like a stereotypical dragon, nothing special.), but I like it quite a bit
Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 AM
has anyone seen my sanity

NegativeVibe is an unknown quantity at this point

As some others have said, the story behind Salamence's evolution is awesome. I still get really funny mental imagery of a Bagon leaping ecstatically off of a cliff and then...ouch.

Despite the relatively uncreative design, I still really like Salamence. Although I haven't battled with it much yet, so I don't know much about its abilities in that respect.

98% of people use Bibarel as an HM slave in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum. If you are one of the 2% who want to free the poor Bibarel from slavery, copy and paste this into your signature. (It's worth a shot)

It's not over until the fish jumps....

Old 02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Where have I been at?

Alright, thanks for the support from yesterday. Todya's Pokemon shall be...

Zoraork

Zoroark is my favorite Pokemon from Black/White. He has an awesome design and looks like he can do some real damage to somebody. He is also the master when it comes to illusions and can fool quite a few people.

His movesets are petty good as well. I would say his best move is Night Daze or prrehaps Trickery. He can do a good Shadow Claw as well.

His evolution is cool to. Zorua is kinda cute looking and has a funny personality. At first, I thought Zoroark was a legend but then I saw he had an evolution and was surprised.

He did realy well in the movie Zoroark Master of Illusions. Zoraork certainly helped boost Black/White's popularity after DP messed everything up, in my opinion.

Made by me
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Witch of Light

sv_01 is an unknown quantity at this point

You thought he was a legend? Makes him even more similar to Lucario.

It also seems that Nintendo is obsessed with ninjas.

Yay!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Where have I been at?

If they were so obsessed with ninjas, they need to make a Ninja Pokemon, such as Rogon...XD.

Zoroarke has a take-no-mess type of attitude and looks like a hunted animal to me.

Made by me
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 PM
loves terra "brain cells? idk her" kingdomhearts

DarkAura is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Spell Zoroark right.

2) Zoroark does not have an evolution. Zoroark IS an evolution; but it does not evolve in the last stage.

3) Zoroark is pretty cool.

I like Zoroark because I THINK it has teh Imposter ability, the only Pokemon to have it (Well, there is an unreleased Imposter Ditto).