The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Websites > Webmaster Help and Discussion

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 AM
actually a very nice person

Pronoun: He
Datura is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSS height:100%

I'm working on a site with a two-column layout, and the left column has proven to very stubborn. The container div, as well as the page body and html elements, are set to height:100% in the CSS. Why, then, does giving height:100% to #left only make the div as high as the window? I'd like it to stretch down the whole page, as #right does.

If anybody could assist me, I'd be really grateful.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:55 PM
oh man, good times.

Pronoun: She
Eifie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CSS height:100%

I think that's just how the height property works; the container that you're having things expanding their height to fit is the browser window itself and not the entire length of the page.

Getting rid of the float property in #left and setting the container div to display: table and the left and right divs to display: table-cell should work. That's the neatest solution I know of. Someone else might have something better, though.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Still loves Joltik, though!

Pronoun: she
Butterfree is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Butterfree

Yeah, making columns have equal heights is one of those things that are really stupidly difficult in CSS. This guy's solution is pretty clean CSS-wise (i.e. no ugly CSS hacks), but requires extra container divs, doesn't account for borders as is, and would need yet another container for the centering you've got going on. You can look around for other ways by Googling "CSS equal height columns".

Last edited by Butterfree; 04-07-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:57 PM
A chickadee in love with the sky

Pronoun: she
Sandstone-Shadow is an unknown quantity at this point

This may not be exactly the solution you're looking for, but when I had this problem, I gave the page a background image (that matched what the columns looked like) that was centered horizontally and repeated vertically. The column wasn't exactly going all the way down the page, but it looked like it was. It's kind of cheating, but it got me the look I wanted for the page.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:35 PM
actually a very nice person

Pronoun: He
Datura is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome, thanks everybody. I went ahead and used Eifie's solution, even though it's a bit of a hack-y solution. It's a one-page site for a class presentation, so I don't feel too bad.