The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Websites > Webmaster Help and Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 06:32 AM
bulletproof loneliness, at best

Pronoun: she/her/hers
effervesce is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to effervesce
Posticon Scared Eep, stylesheet switcher.

Hi!

I'm no whiz at HTML/CSS, but I have some knowledge at it; probably best to get that out there.

So I have three stylesheets, the default is titled "title="stylesheet", the other two are "title="alternate stylesheet", so I can switch between them via browser, but I'd like to somehow grab cookies and get it together dynamically. I have absolutely no idea how to do that, and I have no knowledge in any other languages (I dabbled in Java and JavaScript, but not very far beyond "Hello World!"). So, I don't know, but. Help?

tumblr: http://alone-on-an-aeroplane.tumblr.com

((I'm there more often than I'm here so yeah))
Old 07-17-2013, 03:07 AM
Time: I come from the past. O.o

Pronoun: he
42aruaour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Eep, stylesheet switcher.

I am not quite sure what you wish to do, but I'm guessing that you want to be able to automate the changing of a stylesheet when there is a different local variable? Would it be something like the front page style switcher on TCoD?

In that case, then you could use many different languages to get it done. I would suggest Javascript, unless you needed to run this with a database, in that case then Javascript and PHP.

I think you probably want to use Javascript. There should either be two scripts, or a script with two functions. One of which, upon page load, checks for the cookie, and makes the appropriate stylesheet selection. The other would be used in an html form and creates the cookie to last a time span (probably around thirty days?). The value in the cookie would probably be either default, style1, or style2.

Running a quick google search brings this page, It should help in this case:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/ja...Cookie-Huh.htm

And if you have any problems, you can go to Stack Overflow and check for answers to that specific problem.

Sorry I couldn't help much. I have only done basic scripting with javascript and am not familiar with it, because I use PHP more often.