The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Games > Anime-Style Battling > ASB Central

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 PM
collide disintegration

Negrek is on a distinguished road
Default Referees Wanted

So there are definitely still people around interested in playing ASB, but not as many who are able to take battles at the moment. Since I can't referee every match that's out there, I'm hoping that there are some new people who are willing to give the job a shot. If you're interested, try reffing the round described below and posting the result in this thread. Please include all damage and energy calculations along with the reffing. Based on how you do, I'll either approve you as a referee or give you some tips to help you out if you want to try again.

Let me know if you have any questions. I hope to be able to add some new referees soon!

The current round to ref:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge Info
2vs2 single
Style: Switch
DQ: Standard week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: OHKO's, perish song
Arena: Typhoon Beach

Typhoon Beach was once a popular beach often visited by tourists and locals alike. Now, the beach is a deserted one, its once famed white sand draped with broken bottles and other debris. More often than not, the skies over this area are a bleak gray. Heavy torrents of rain relentlessly pound the beach along with unforgiving gales.

Other: Only pokemon which are not fully-evolved may be used. Each action, a pokemon on the sand has a 10% chance of getting hurt by debris. (5% damage) Also, pokemon flying or hovering will get a speed decrease of 2 due to the wind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Current Pokémon Status
Red (Oo)
meowth
Goldpaw (m) <technician>
Health: 46%
Energy: 63%
- "Now, you."

Blue (Oo)
chansey
Persephone (f) <serene grace> @Lucky Egg
Health: 83%
Energy: 37%
- "A nice beach-chair would do." Shielded by a safeguard (3 more actions).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Commands
Hmm why can't I write longer commands?
Come on, Goldpaw, hang in there! Start this round with a Hypnosis then Rest if it worked, Zap Cannon if it didn't. On the last turn, Chill or Sleep Talk (whichever you can currently do).
Hypnosis~Rest/Zap Cannon~Sleep Talk/Chill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue's Commands
Protect~Hyper Beam~Focus Punch

Last edited by Negrek; 11-01-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 AM
Statistically Inclined

Pronoun: he
Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Stryke
Default Re: Referees Wanted

Do you know when a new ref quiz will be made? I took this quiz a loooong time ago (either February or March of 2016), and failed, so I'm ineligible until a new one is made. But I still really want to be a ref!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 AM
Captain Husbando

Pronoun: she
Flora is on a distinguished road

I sent mine in to Zhorken some time ago! though I'm p sure I failed hahahah
Old 02-21-2017, 12:08 AM
Let's talk about this "dairy" section.

RedneckPhoenix is an unknown quantity at this point

i would because I love math but i didn't even know that pokemon with more experience did more damage until i saw one of these quizzes
sorry
Old 02-21-2017, 01:52 AM
has finally read Homestuck

Cynder is an unknown quantity at this point

I was planning on applying after I had finished one battle, but with the shortage I might as well apply now.

EDIT: Application submitted.

raltsASB
absolTumblr

Last edited by Cynder; 02-22-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:28 AM

i'm 7 questions into the quiz, will finish tomorrow
time-consuming, but not really hard, unless i'm missing something stupidly obvious
Old 02-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Fire emblem is great

Pronoun: He
Superbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Superbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckPhoenix View Post
time-consuming, but not really hard, unless i'm missing something stupidly obvious
reffing in a nutshell.

I'd go back to being a ref, but I just don't have time between school these days.

For those in ASB Battles that I happen to be reffing, I have several habits that deviate from most other refs. These can be found in this document, and involve mostly stat modifications and status conditions, as well as other clarifications regarding the specifics of certain attacks.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 PM
collide disintegration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchwidget View Post
Do you know when a new ref quiz will be made? I took this quiz a loooong time ago (either February or March of 2016), and failed, so I'm ineligible until a new one is made. But I still really want to be a ref!
Ooh, yeah, somehow I completely forgot some people might have already been locked out of this one. No worries, I'll put a new one together--it should be up in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora View Post
I sent mine in to Zhorken some time ago! though I'm p sure I failed hahahah
Ah, okay. I'll poke Zhorken and see if they have any idea what's up, hopefully you can get some feedback, at least, and if you passed, then that's great. :P

Thanks to everyone who's giving the quiz a shot; I'll do my best to get stuff graded and back to you as fast as I can.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM

done with my quiz
way easier than i thought it'd be, so i probably got something wrong
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 AM
collide disintegration

Okay! It has been far, far too long, but I've responded to all the ref tests that were submitted. Thanks to everyone who took a stab at it!

This time, rather than doing a quiz + mock round, I'm just going to do the mock round: basically, I'll post all the info for one round of reffing here, you make a post as though you were a referee adjudicating that round, and then I'll assess your reffing. Within a week, promise!

When you make your post, please also include your calculations. This makes it a lot easier for me to check your work!

Without further ado, here's the battle info, which I'll also update into the first post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenge Info
2vs2 single
Style: set
DQ: 7 days
Damage cap: 35%
Banned moves: OHKOs
Arena: Cold Storage
Driftveil City's very own Cold Storage. The floor is iced over and crates are stacked high up in piles, some touching the roof. Some crates are even iced over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokémon Status
Red's Pokémon: [Dopey] Slowpoke (M) <Oblivious>
Blue's Pokémon: [Katrina] Absol (F) <Pressure>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red's Commands
Okay...
Come out, Dopey.

Let's go with Headbutt first. Follow that up with a Water Gun, and straight after that use Confusion.

Headbutt~Water Gun~Confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue's Commands
Okay, it's always good to get a status problem in there, so how 'bout a Toxic? Then, how about a Swords Dance for good measures. Then, finish it with a Megahorn.

Toxic~Swords Dance~Megahorn
Old 10-25-2017, 12:29 AM
Egg

Pronoun: they
Porygon2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright! Ha, I've checked this thread several times but noted the lack of a quiz as it was still in the works. Guess that means I need to actually read threads rather than just skim.

Without any more waffling, here I go:

As Porygon2, the newest hopeful to be a The Cave of Dragonflies Referee, entered the plain, beige room the screen hanging above the door switched on, reading "Porygon2: 00%". A mirror on the other side of the room reflected the score, behind it were the elders of the ASB, scrutinising the referee's ability.

"Cold Storage" barked a computerised voice from overhead. With that, the projectors flickered on, overlaying an image on the drab, beige room.

The image of ice covered the floor, hologrammatical crates stacked high over eachother. The walls turned plain grey, with ice creeping up from the floor.

Two images of trainers flickered to life. The one on the left appeared to be the Pokémon Trainer Red in his Generation 1 garb. The one on the right appeared to be the Gym Leader Blue, also in his Generation 1 garb.

In 30 fps, both trainers simultaneously threw their Poké Balls. As the Pokémon appeared, their stats came up on the convenient tablet Porygon2 was holding. Red sent out his Slowpoke, Dopey, and Blue matched that with his Absol, Katrina.

"Let the battle begin" barked the computerised voice again.

Round One

Red (OO)
slowpoke
Dopey ♂ | Oblivious
Health: 100%

Energy: 100%

Commands:
Pooooooke

(OO) Blue
absol
Pressure | ♀ Katrina
100% :Health

100% :Energy

:Commands
:Status
"It's so cold, my processor's running at peak efficiency."

Katrina began the round. Shivering slightly (who knew computer generated disaster beasts could feel the cold?), she started to clear her throat. Making awful, gurgling, guttural sounds, the Absol was collecting all of the disgusting and bilious substances in her body. A squirming lump travelled up her throat and into her mouth, horrible purple and sickly green liquid dribbling from her clenched teeth. She took a step forward, opening her maw and spitting out the mass of toxins. This revolting ball of liquids flew through the air, landing with a sickly spludge on Dopey's head. The toxins seeping in and poisoning the Slowpoke.

Even with the painful venom seeping into Dopey's body, he kept the official Slowpoke™ oblivious expression. Staring blankly into Katrina's soul, he slowly took a couple of steps back. His little nubby legs didn't slip on the fake-but-possibly-real-to-him ice. After a few slow steps, he started to move forward. Initially at a painfully slow pace, he began to pick up momentum. Trotting along at a nice pace, he lowered his head. Faster and faster he became (but still quite slow, he's a Slowpoke y'know) until he was under a foot away from Katrina. There he sprung himself off of the ground and collided head first with the Absol, sending both parties sliding back some on the fake ice.

Shaking off the 36kg of Slowpoke that had just collided with her, Katrina's weird scythe-head-horn-thing began to glow. Following suit were her eyes, both glowing with an off-grey colour. Jigging side to side, she bobbed her head, waving around the weird scythe-head-horn-thing. This grew with intensity, her head waving around, trotting on the spot. Her tail wagged, glowing faintly too. As this bizarre dance occurred, her weird scythe-head-horn-thing, claws and tail all grew slightly. Suddenly the dance ended, the glowing dissipating into the air. Katrina appeared to be more fearsome.

Dopey appeared unphased. Who knew what was going on in his oblivious little head. The bizarre dancing of a disaster beast named in poor taste left no impression whatsoever on him. After a second of doing literally nothing, Dopey opened his mouth. There a small torrent of water arched in the air to strike Katrina on the weird scythe-head-horn-thing. Being only a small torrent of water, it did provide some damage, but more just succeeded in knocking the Absol back by maybe three inches.

This was the moment Katrina had been waiting for. After spending the first two actions preparing, now was her time to shine. She sturdied her stance as she concentrated. Shutting her eyes tight, her weird scythe-head-horn-thing glowed faintly green. The longer she concentrated, the more green it glowed. In addition, the weird scythe-head-horn-thing grew a little too. Opening her eyes, she let out a fearsome (what noise to Absols make? It sounds like a oo-OO-oo) "oo-OO-oo" and charged forward. Claws scraped the ice, sending a mild cloud of slush behind her. She lifted her head as she approached the not-at-all-fussed Dopey. She slammed her head forward, striking Dopey with the growing-and-glowing-green-weird-scythe-head-horn-thing sending him flying back several feet. Hitting the ground with an inelegant thud.

Dopey returned to an upright position. That unsettling blank look remained. Again it did nothing for almost a full second, then its eyes started to glow blue. Its eyes glowed blue for what must have been maybe thirty to forty seconds. But nothing happened. It was trying to use confusion against a Dark-type Pokémon. That's what happened.

Both Pokémon froze and the projection flickered off. The drab, beige room returned.

End of Round One.

Red (OO)
slowpoke
Dopey ♂ | Oblivious
Health: 081%

Energy: 090%

Commands:
Simulation switched off. Badly Poisoned (2% next round)

(OO) Blue
absol
Pressure | ♀ Katrina
088% :Health

087% :Energy

:Commands
:Status
Simulation switched off

Damage and Energy Calc

Action 1:
Katrina's Toxic -> 4% energy used
Accuracy roll -> 50. Hit

Dopey's Headbutt
70/10 -> 7% damage done
70/20 +1 (eff) * 1.2 -> 6% energy used
Critical roll -> 33. No

-1% health from Dopey (Toxic)

Action 2:
Katrina's Swords Dance -> 2% energy used

Dopey's Water Gun
40/10 * 1.25 (STAB) -> 5% damage done
40/20 - 1 (STAB) * 1.2 -> 2% energy used
Critical roll -> 98. No

Action 3:
Katrina's Megahorn
120/10 * 1.5 (Super Eff) -> 18% damage done
120/20 + 1 (over 100) -> 7% energy used
Accuracy roll -> 22. Hit
Critical roll -> 51. No

Dopey's Confusion
50/10 * 1.25 * 0 -> 0% damage done
50/20 - 1 *1.2 -> 2% energy used

Last edited by Porygon2; 10-25-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Oops 2v2 haha
Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 AM
collide disintegration

FYI, I'm going to be grading this in three days. So if there's anybody else who was interested in making an attempt at this test, please get your test reffing in before then, or you'll have to start all over with whatever the next test round ends up being.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:27 AM
collide disintegration

Welp, this ended up being a pretty easy one to grade.

I enjoyed reading your prose. It's clear, easy to read, and nicely descriptive of how the battle's playing out. Some nice humor as well. I don't have any complaints.

Your numbers look great. Nothing to worry about there.

All in all, heartily approved. Welcome to the team!

...it occurs to me I don't actually know how to give someone referee powers on the database, but I'll talk to Zhorken about getting that done. Feel free to do some reffing in the meantime if you'd like; it's easy enough to add stuff into the database after the fact she said about work someone else would have to do.

For everyone else, a new referee test is available!