• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Wi-Fi USB Connector won't install.

nastypass

that bitch what arranges the blocks
Pronoun
they/her/hers
I bought a (used) USB Connector earlier today, and downloaded the latest software for it here. When I go to run the setup program it gets to "Setting up Internet Connection Sharing" and then gives me an error message (Internet Connection Sharing error.(5) for reference). I've added all the files it mentions to do so with on the troubleshooting page to the exceptions for Windows Firewall (I'm running XP, if it matters).

A little help here? :/

I had the same problem. My solution was to just not use it, and get a wireless internet connection, since I got sick of trying to get it to work. I got it to work maybe once, and the only other times it worked were on my Dad's computer, which has no sort of anti-virus, nor does he have firewall on for some reason.

Problem with that is that I already do have a wireless connection, the security settings on it just don't mesh with the DS and we can't change them or the laptop decides it doesn't want to connect.

I once tried getting a USB connector. It didn't work. I think it was just terribly outdated.

Your router is probably using one of the WPA types of security options. You may want to try contacting your local internet provider to see if you can change your router's security settings. As far as I know, the DS can only support WEP security, but my friend disabled his router's security settings completely and it still works.

Additionally, when you change the router's security settings, you have to also change the computer's router configuration. Even if you changed the settings for the router, the old ones are still on the computer. So you have to reconfigure the computer's wireless options. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes if you know how to do it.

I once tried getting a USB connector. It didn't work. I think it was just terribly outdated.

Your router is probably using one of the WPA types of security options. You may want to try contacting your local internet provider to see if you can change your router's security settings. As far as I know, the DS can only support WEP security, but my friend disabled his router's security settings completely and it still works.

Additionally, when you change the router's security settings, you have to also change the computer's router configuration. Even if you changed the settings for the router, the old ones are still on the computer. So you have to reconfigure the computer's wireless options. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes if you know how to do it.

READ

Problem with that is that I already do have a wireless connection, the security settings on it just don't mesh with the DS and we can't change them or the laptop decides it doesn't want to connect.

Guys, it is not a matter of "I'm not able to change the security settings," it's a matter of "If I change the security settings, the laptop will not connect." This is the entire reason why I bought this damn thing.

You're better off troubleshooting that. The USB connector really doesn't work.

I'd try just hard-resetting your router and starting from scratch. That way, any problems wouldn't exist anymore, and it's not that hard to set up your router again.

Guys, really, I am not going to change the settings on my router. I know how, I'm just not going to, because then I have to fuck around with the laptop, and I'd really, really rather not do that. So please, stop suggesting stuff if it isn't going to get the USB Connector to work. :|

I have a NWFC connector and, after running it successfully for about a year, it started acting up and I tried reinstalling it. I got a very similar error (6 not 5), and after a considerable amount of work was never able to get it working again.

I only have two suggestions. First, if you're using a version of windows more recent than XP, try running the installation program in the XP compatibility mode; you should be able to right-click on the file and set the compatibility mode somewhere in the properties (on an XP computer atm, can't remember exactly). Alternatively, if you get really desperate, you can try ditching the Nintendo software entirely and running the device using drivers for the actual underlying router model. I found some here. This didn't work for me, however.

There are also some drivers that will allow the adapter to be used with some versions of Linux, so if you have a computer running that you might want to look into setting it up on it instead. I've never tried this myself, though.

Unfortunately, the NWFC is set up so that if it doesn't work right with the default settings, there's very little you can do to get around problems without getting extreme. I'm afraid that it might well be easier to change the settings on your router and trying to get your computer to talk to it than trying to get the adapter to talk to anything it doesn't feel like working with.

I'm far from a computer expert, but I just a week or so ago set up a brand new router and successfully connected all the computers in my house, including my laptop, to it. It honestly isn't hard to change the settings, if I can do it alone. :P

I can understand why you wouldn't want to, but as has been said, that might be the only way you can get it to work. You could try just lowering the security to a WEP, because I'm also pretty sure that's all the DS is compatible with. That's low security though, and dad needs/wants his work stuff protected, which is the whole reason I bought my WFC in the first place. I'm sorry I'm really not much help...

...Welcome back, though, by the way.

Since it's an Internet Connection Sharing error, which is the service you'd have to screw with in XP, Vista and 7 (I think it's in 7!), I highly doubt it has anything to do with the router settings. I've dealt with various ICS errors (even offline!), and none of them were router related, it's in the OS.

Unless someone else has run into the ICS problem that was directly related to the router settings, I am gonna stick with my thoughts (ICS is a complete bitch and it loves to piss you off!).

Back
Top Bottom