The Cave of Dragonflies forums

Go Back   The Cave of Dragonflies forums > Creativity > Writing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Cases 1 and 2; links to read 3)

"The only way any of us are going to get through this is if we play our roles ... and do our jobs."
Kirlia "Skye" Namron, Turnabout Tragedy (Case 2)

"Why do you think we're holding a normal trial with a Pokémon as the defendant? Because Pokémon have souls and intelligence to match ours. One of these days, maybe the entire world will come to see that ..."
Brendan Namron, Turnabout Return (Case 1)

"If you want the truth, I need you to show me. Show me that you're not going to let any setback get you down."
Silver, Turnabout Return (Case 3)


Title: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney
Case # 1: Turnabout Return
Case # 2: Turnabout Tragedy (Begins on Post 28.)

Author: myself (Strife89 / Michael D. Carr)
Rating: PG (mild violence, brief frightening moments)
Genre: Mystery (video game style)
Fandom: Pokémon, with Ace Attorney elements and other references
Status: Cases 1 and 2 complete, case 3 in progress (goal: 4 or 5 cases per arc).
Summary: This story begins the tale of Brendan Namron, a fresh lawyer who moved back to the Johto region four years ago to study law, shortly after resigning from a career as a successful Pokémon Trainer. He keeps just two Pokémon with him, a Torchic and a Kirlia, who act as his friends and assistants before and throughout the series.

Case one describes the murder of a friend of Brendan's, whose Machoke has been accused of the crime. As is typical of the Ace Attorney games for the first case, the player learns who the murderer is right off the bat. But can Brendan figure it out and bring his friend's Pokémon to justice?

Case two marks the return of Brendan to Goldenrod City after a short hike around Johto. When he returns home, he discovers a family member he hasn't seen in years, and spends the evening catching up. But tragedy strikes Brendan's household, and now it's up to him to clear his best friend's name .... of murder.

This is a series centered around the Pokémon universe, taking place approximately ten years after Pokémon Emerald. However, it reads (and plays) very much like an Ace Attorney game (save for case one's Introduction). In addition, there are numerous jokes and other references to the Ace Attorney games.

As I'm sure has been made apparent by now, I wrote the case to be "playable" by readers. It is a blatant reusal of the method used for the presenting of the Phoenix Wright SSBB Case Files, written by ShadowKnux372, which he originally posted on the GameFAQs boards. (Indeed, this whole thing was inspired by his fifth case, Collective Turnabout.)
Anyway, if a post ends with a question that calls for selecting a choice or presenting evidence, that's your cue to do just that. (The choice of the first person to post one will be the next one written for.) Good luck (and wish me luck)!

Notes, copyrights, etc.:
Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney – Case 1 (Turnabout Return)
Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney – Case 2 (Turnabout Tragedy)
Written by Michael Carr (Strife89)
Pokémon, its concepts, and all respective characters © Nintendo, Game Freak, and underlying authors
Ace Attorney, its concepts, and all respective characters © Capcom and underlying authors
All suggested music is © to its respective composers and publishers
Series, original characters, and ideas © Michael Carr
Original playtesting and additional ideas by Aeger, Cherre, and LambdaCalculus379.
Original ideas inspired partly by ShadowKunx372's series.

Many thanks to the Players! ^_^
Flora and Ashes
Zephyrous Castform
Flareth
Kammington
Blazie
Pichu Chris
Butterfree

Last edited by Strife89; 03-12-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (Introduction)

[ 10:45 PM – July 14, 2017 ]
[ Goldenrod City - Trainer David's Home ]

*fade in*
A man, dressed almost entirely in black, is rummaging through what appears to be a set of drawers. He has a flashlight in one hand, hovering over his search. His other hand has a glove on it. The rest of the room is dark, leaving the surroundings impossible to see.

Without warning, a door opens out of sight, not very far away. The squeaky hinges alert the man to the presence of others entering. Chatter between a young adult and an unusual voice fill the apartment that they have entered.

The man instantly shuts off his flashlight and shoves the drawer he was searching shut. Quietly, he scoots to the door to the main room and cracks it open. A thin line of light falls across the man; he has a gruff appearance on his face. The light spread is sufficient to tell that there is a large, red “R” across the man's shirt – he associates with Team Rocket.

On the other side of the door, a male Trainer of about 20 and a Machoke are walking around, setting down belongings and preparing to unwind from a tiring day. Sweat beads on the thief's forehead. He turns on his flashlight and begins looking around the room. He quickly finds what he's looking for. Shifting the flashlight to his bare hand, he grabs the object, nearly drops it, and waits at the door, peering through the crack.

“Look, Macho, I'm sorry about that battle. I admit I got too cocky, alright? …. N- no, I'd rather not. Why don't you fetch some of that drink from the room and we'll discuss it over a cold one?”

Alarms sounded in the burglar's head. The Machoke was heading his way.

But, of course, the thief had nowhere to hide. He readied himself to strike. The door started to open ….

WHAM!! It happened so fast. The thief slammed the thick bottle on the Machoke's head; the Pokemon stumbled for a moment before collapsing to the floor. By then, the thief was already bolting for the exit. He was not going back to prison. Ever.

“Machoke! No! … You! Stop, thief!” The trainer started to give chase. Blast, and mere inches from escape, too … He had been seen, and would surely be identified.

Instead of exiting, the burglar ran towards the trainer and prepared to give him the wallop of his life.

He wasn't sure how he did it. One second he was merely swinging the bottle, and the next he was staring at the trainer's lifeless body, blood streaming from a crack on the head ….

The man's cold sweat returned. If he was caught, he was guaranteed prison for life, if not execution. He had just killed a man.

He stole a glance at the Machoke. It was unconscious, but it wouldn't be for long. Machokes, unlike people, were hard-headed in every sense of the phrase.

Just as he was beginning to jump from panic to despair, the bandit's eyes lit up.

“I'll make it look like … he did it!”


Across the city, inside a small home, a fresh young lawyer contemplates the events of a long day. He bids good night to his Torchic, then rolls over. He silently wonders if the law offices will assign him a case soon.

The tale of Defense Attorney Brendan Namron has begun.

---------------------------------------------------------------

[ 9:27 AM – July 16, 2017 ]
[ Goldenrod City District Court – Lobby ]

{Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Courtroom Lounge ~ Beginning Prelude}

Brendan: This is a nightmare …. Please tell me that this isn't happening ….
???: Tor …. i-torchic.
Brendan: … Phoenix, I don't really know what to make of it.
Brendan: My client is David's Machoke, after all ….
Brendan: I don't see how it could have happened. They were more than just partners, they were the best of friends.
Brendan: Nothing could prompt him to murder David ….
Phoenix: Torch. Torchi-chic.
Brendan: Maybe. At this point, the only way we'll find out is if we jump right in ….
Brendan: Thing is, I'm real nervous. My first trial and it turns out my old friend is dead. Ever had that happen to you?
Phoenix: Tor.
Brendan: Exactly.
Phoenix: …. Chic tor chi. Torchic.
Brendan: …. I'm not going anywhere, Phoenix. You can bet anything on that.
Phoenix: (smiles) Torchic-tor-ic.
Brendan: Eh? Oh, of course, I should have been doing that anyway ….


COURT RECORD
Evidence
Attorney's Badge: Proof of my current profession. I tried to display it on my headband yesterday. Bad idea.
Pokégear: A really fancy, wristwatch-like device. I recently upgraded it.
Bag: My bag from my training days. Capable of holding a lot of stuff. Holds three spare Pokéballs.
David's Autopsy Report: Died due to blood loss and a blunt trauma to the head at 10:50 PM, July 14th. Was struck once with an unknown blunt object. Death was instantaneous.

Profiles
Brendan Namron: (AGE: 23) Me. Originally a Pokémon Trainer in Hoenn, but decided to return to Johto and study law.
Phoenix: (AGE: 5) My Torchic. Son of another Pokémon I released a few years ago ….
Machoke: My client. Did he murder his best friend and trainer?
David: (AGE: 20 – now deceased) The victim. An old friend of mine. Had a close bond with my client.

Party
Phoenix (Torchic): Lv. 10, 37 HP. 25 ATK, 21 DEF, 23 SPEED, 27 SP. ATK, 22 SP. DEF --- Scratch, Ember, Growl, Focus Energy


???: …..
Brendan: Huh?
???: …. choke.
Brendan: Ah, Machoke, there you are. Good morning.
Machoke: …. choke. Mah.
Brendan: I understand. I promise I will do everything to help you, but I need your best cooperation.
Machoke: Ma.
Baliff: Mr. Namron? Court is about to begin. We request that you and your client enter immediately.
Brendan: …. Yes, sir. Let's go, everyone ….


[ 10:00 AM – July 16th ]
[Goldenrod City District Court – Courtroom Number 3 ]

*gallery chattering*
*gavel pounds*

(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Ace Attorney ~ Court Begins)
Judge: Court is now in session for the trial of this Machoke.
Judge: Is the defense and prosecution ready?
Brendan: T-the defense is, uh, ready. …. Your Honor.
???: … The prosecution is quite ready, Your Honor.
???: Honestly, I never expected to see you in a place like this …. Brendan.
Brendan: (It can't be …) R-Roxanne?
Roxanne: Indeed it is, Brendan. All these years after that wonderful rematch …. I was beginning to wonder what had happened to a stellar trainer like you.
Brendan: It's a long story. What are you doing here in ---
*gavel pounds*
Judge: Mr. Namron, please keep off-topic conversation to a minimum. We do not have time for it here.
Brendan: S-sorry, Your Honor.
Judge: Now then, opening statements, please.

Roxanne: The prosecution believes that the Pokémon sitting in the defendant's chair is guilty of the crime, and has ample evidence and witnesses to back up this belief.
Judge: Good, good ….. Does the defense have a statement?
Brendan: (Ummmm …..)

None to speak of
This case is full of it!
The defense pleads

None to speak of

Brendan: I … I have no statement to make, Your Honor.
Judge: … I see. I did note that you are a newly minted lawyer … I take it this is your first case?
Brendan: Y-yes sir.
Judge: Ah. Well, let's take this one step at a time, shall we? The prosecution may begin.
Roxanne: With pleasure, Your Honor. The crime was committed two nights ago, at the victim's apartment.
Roxanne: According to a witness, the victim's own Machoke struck him in the head with a clear, glass object, killing him.
Roxanne: I would like to present to the court, the murder weapon. It was found next to the victim at the crime scene.

[Glass Bottle added to the Court Record.]

Glass Bottle: The murder weapon. Very thick glass, and heavy. Small traces of the victim's blood. Bears the victim's and the defendant's fingerprints.

Judge: Why … this looks like one of those collectable Pokéthlon bottles! *urfff!* Why so heavy?
Roxanne: They made the bottle with powerful Pokémon in mind, Your Honor. Even a Pokémon that doesn't know its own strength will have no trouble drinking from this without breaking it.

UPDATED EVIDENCE:
David's Autopsy Report: Died due to blood loss and a blunt trauma to the head at 10:50 PM, July 14th. Was struck once with a heavy glass bottle. Death was instantaneous.

Machoke: Choke ma-machoke! Oke!
Roxanne: ….
Judge: …. Does anyone here have any idea what the defendant just said?
Brendan: I- I do, Your Honor. He insists that he knows his strength quite well, and that he is not the murderer.
Judge: How in the world did you know he said that? Did you study Pokémon speech in school as well?
Brendan: *shakes head* Your Honor, I upgraded my Pokégear recently. It is now capable of translating Pokémon speech.

Judge: Is that so?! Here, let me see it!
Brendan: That won't be necessary, Your Honor. It so happens that I bought an attachment for this thing the other day …..
Roxanne: Looks like a speaker.
Brendan: Machoke, if you will ….
Machoke: I swear to you I'm not the killer! I'm muscular, yes, but I would never hurt David!
Judge: Woah …
Roxanne: Woah ….
Brendan: Woah! Sorry about that …. (Not so LOUD, Machoke … Jeez …)
Roxanne: Are you done, Brendan? The prosecution would like to call a witness who can show that the witness is lying.
Judge: Yes, yes, of course. Fire away.
Roxanne: Brendan, can that device work on any Pokémon in the room?
Brendan: It can. Why do you ask …. ? (I think I already know the answer.)
Roxanne: You'll see later on … maybe. Baliff, please bring in the witness.

UPDATED EVIDENCE
Pokégear: A really fancy, wristwatch-like device. I recently upgraded it, so it can translate any nearby Pokémon's speech.

NEW PROFILE
Roxanne: A former Gym Leader from Hoenn. When did she become a prosecutor?

*quick fade-out, then back in*

(Music: Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Olivine Lighthouse)
Roxanne: Witness, please state your name and occupation for the court.
???: … They call me Night Russ. I'm an ex-Team Rocket spy. More of a mercenary now; whatever I can do to get by.
Brendan: (That explains the shirt ….)
Roxanne: Mr. Russ, you know why you are here, correct?
Russ: I do.
Judge: What … is he here for, Ms. Roxanne?
Roxanne: To testify, naturally. He witnessed the crime!
Judge: Ah, of course! Well, then, Mr. Russ, please describe what you saw.

CROSS EXAMINATION
What I Saw
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Cross Examination ~ Moderate 2001)
Russ:
Part 1: I was out on a late night stroll when it happened.
Part 2: I heard the sounds of a struggle, and the door was open, so I peered in.
Part 3: There was the defendant, strangling the victim!
Part 4: I went to call the police as quickly as I could.

[Readers may ask to Press a part, read the Recap (the text that comes after the last part before looping back to the first), or they can Present evidence/profiles. Generally speaking, only the first response will be acknowledged, unless it is an incorrect Objection/presentation of evidence, or if there are multiple presses in a row.]

Last edited by Strife89; 07-27-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Changed the color of important evidence to make it easier to spot on a scrollback.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Somewhere in PA
Age: 20
Posts: 5,517
Pronoun: She
Flora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Flora Send a message via MSN to Flora
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Your Honor, according to David's Autopsy Record, the victim was struck by a heavy glass object. Thus, the witness's statement in Part 3 must be a lie.

(Present Evidence - David's Autopsy Report)

Ooh, a Pokemon/Ace Attorney crossover! I like this a lot! It seems fairly true to both series, and I particularly love the usage of canonical characters (as opposed to OCs) in the main roles. (also, I love that the Torchic's name is Phoenix ^^)
__________________
Everyday I'm tumblin'

If you wanna read about my adventures in a bizarre version of Johto click here

GPX+

This usertitle won't make me cry. (did you know that Tim Minchin has composed a musical WELL NOW YOU DO the music is lovely)


no really the music is great
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Huzzah, a player! \o/ <--- arms raised in cheer

The canonical characters will get some elaboration on their backstories, especially in case 2 (which I'm halfway done writing). Nevertheless, I try to stick to the canon that has been given to us, to form as many sensible ties to the games as I can. Keep in mind, though, that this takes place a long time after Emerald. :)

Phoenix will reference other characters as well, as you'll see later. :P

Anyway, on with the case! :)

------------------------
Present evidence to Part 3: David's Autopsy Report
(Music stops.)

Brendan: Ah …. er …. Your Honor, I have a …. er ….
Judge: What is it? Come on, spit it out.
Brendan: There, uh... Seems to be something wrong with the witness's statement just now.
Roxanne: … You know, Brendan, there's a term for that.
Roxanne: Not to mention a term for getting the court's attention better.
Brendan: Er, alright …. Care to explain real quick?
Judge: Make it VERY quick, Roxanne. I want to hear what he was trying to say.
Roxanne: *sigh* First, a problem with the testimony is called a contradiction. Remember it.
Brendan: ! Agh, that's the word! How did I manage to forget something so basic ….
Phoenix: … You're not fooling anyone. You know that, right?
Brendan: Aah! Way to speak up, Phoenix …
Roxanne: Anyway …. the attention-getter is a clear, purposeful shout of “Objection”. Don't forget.
Brendan: I see. …. *ahem* Your Honor?
Judge: Yes, Mr. Namron?
Brendan: I- I noticed a contradiction in Mr. Russ's testimony, and as such, I have an
OBJECTION! (Music: Pokémon Platinum: Battle! VS Frontier Brain)
Judge: Mr. Namron, please! Not so loud.
Brendan: Ah … sorry, Your Honor. *ahem* Anyway, please take a look at this piece of evidence!
Roxanne: …
Judge: Why, that's the autopsy report of the victim! … What about it?
Brendan: Your Honor, the witness just claimed that he saw the defendant strangling the victim.
Brendan: But this autopsy report reveals he did no such thing! He was hit on the head with a bottle!
Judge: W-Why, that's true! Witness! What have you to say about this?
Russ: Ah … er … you see …
Russ: That Machoke was holding the victim and preparing to bop him on the head!
Brendan: Holding the victim … ? (I kinda feel that that's a lie … but let's see what comes of it.)
Judge: Hmmm …. Witness, if you will, please go into detail about the events you saw.
Russ: My pleasure.

CROSS EXAMINATION
Leading Up to the Murder
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Cross Examination ~ Moderate 2001)
Russ:
Part 1: When I looked inside that apartment, I saw Machoke chasing the defendant around the place.
Part 2: He was carrying a rather small bottle in his left hand.
Part 3: He finally caught up to the poor sap, picked him up near the neck, and whacked him on the head.

[Readers may ask to Press a part, read the Recap (the text that comes after the last part before looping back to the first), or they can Present evidence/profiles. Generally speaking, only the first response will be acknowledged, unless it is an incorrect Objection/presentation of evidence, or if there are multiple presses in a row.]
[If there is no reader posting within 24 hours of this edit, I will post the answer I originally wrote in the script and continue to the next Cross Examination.]
[Please leave comments if you read, whether you play or not!
:)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Zephyrous Castform's Avatar
Zephyrous Castform Zephyrous Castform is offline
Butterfree
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Gently gyrating
Age: 20
Posts: 3,766
Pronoun: He
Zephyrous Castform is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Zephyrous Castform
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Present Glass Bottle at statement three. It is specifically described as 'heavy', so it can't be 'rather small'.
__________________
||||||||||||

monstra in marsupio meo, libellulaeque in antro nostro.
The Farroh Region Revamped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowth View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
...Wait, 'wrench' is 'English key'? What is that supposed to signify about the English.
Every morning when we leave the house we bolt the door shut and have to undo it with a wrench when we get home
...is that not how the rest of the world does it D:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrous Castform View Post
Present Glass Bottle at statement three. It is specifically described as 'heavy', so it can't be 'rather small'.
Given what you said, I believe you mean Statement 2, so I'll give it to ya. :)

-------------------

OBJECTION! (Music stops.)
Brendan: Russ, I don't know whether to tell you to put on some glasses or to stop the charade,
Brendan: but either way, you're wrong.
Russ: Oh, please, man. What could possibly be wrong with what I said?
Brendan: This! *holds out the Glass Bottle* (Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! 2001)
Russ: ... What's your point? Did I say it was colored or something?
Brendan: Not quite. None of us said it since you came in, but the murder weapon was, in fact, a thick and very heavy bottle!
Russ: Gwaah!
Brendan: Russ, I propose that you either didn't witness this crime at all, or there's something huge that you're not telling the court!
Brendan: (confident) So, which is it?
OBJECTION!
Roxanne: The witness was just a passerby and he was looking through a barely-open door! He could be mistaken about a lot of things, but the fact is that he witnessed the crime!
OBJECTION!
Brendan: When did he say the door was slightly ajar? It could have been wide open, for all we know!
OBJECTION!
Roxanne: Then the witness may have simply been in shock – he may still be! It's not every day that you walk in on a Pokémon as it assaults its Trainer! The very idea causes nightmares!
Phoenix: Master, I've just thought of something.
Brendan: Hmm? What is it, Phoenix?
Phoenix: If the parts of that guy's testimony that you haven't countered still stand as true, then why are they still there?
Brendan: “They”?
Phoenix: You know. If David was killed by Machoke without putting up a fight, then why are there so many of those on it?
Brendan: Ah!
Roxanne: What are you two babbling about?
Brendan: Oh, nothing. Just something that suggests something happened that shouldn't have!

--- Present evidence from the Court Record. ---


[Readers may Present evidence/profiles to this. Generally speaking, only the first response will be acknowledged by the script, unless it is the incorrect evidence.]
[If there is no reader posting within 24 hours of this edit, I will post the answer I originally wrote in the script and continue to the next Cross Examination.]

Last edited by Strife89; 07-27-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fixed a color tag.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Flareth's Avatar
Flareth Flareth is offline
The fastest girl in town
 
Join Date: June 30, 2008
Location: Aperture Science
Age: 20
Posts: 3,644
Pronoun: She
Flareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Present Glass Bottle. It has the victim's fingerprints on it. This bottle is very heavy....I don't think the fingerprints came from just simply picking it up.

(....May be wrong but.....YAY! A PW/Pokemon crossover!)
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareth View Post
Present Glass Bottle. It has the victim's fingerprints on it. This bottle is very heavy....I don't think the fingerprints came from just simply picking it up.

(....May be wrong but.....YAY! A PW/Pokemon crossover!)
Score one for Flareth. :D

What do you all think of having Roxanne be the first prosecutor? "She's studious" is one of the main reasons I picked her.

--------------------------------------

TAKE THIS! (Music stops.)

Brendan: Torchic here spotted what we all missed. Take a look at the murder weapon.
Roxanne: What's so interesting about it?
Brendan: It's strange, isn't it? According to what the witness has said so far, Machoke was the only one who touched the bottle. But if that's the case, then why are his AND the victim's fingerprints all over it?
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Pursuit ~ Cornered)
Russ: Arrrgh!
OBJECTION!
Roxanne: Easy. The victim and defendant used it all the time for drinking.
OBJECTION!
Brendan: This bottle is a collector's item, remember? David was not the type to just drink from a collector's bottle any day of the week!
Roxanne: You can't prove that! He might have used it for anything!
Brendan: ….
Phoenix: Then let's try looking at things from another angle!
Brendan: W-What?!
Phoenix: Back in your training days … you always told my dad to approach a fight from a different angle, right? So … why not try that here?
Brendan: Hmmm … You know, that might actually help!
Brendan: (There are two ways to look at this guy's testimony.)
Brendan: (Either he's remembering everything wrong, or he's outright lying about it all.)
Brendan: (But if it's the latter, why would he lie? He doesn't have any connections with David - or his Machoke - as far as we know …)
Brendan: (Unless …)
Brendan: *pounds desk* Your Honor! The defense would like to propose another possibility!
Roxanne: !
Russ: !
Judge: Is that so, Mr. Namron? How confident are you in this theory?
Brendan: (Phoenix just gave me a major piece of advice … He sticks up for me, like my Pokémon always did way back then …)
Brendan: (And I always stuck up for them. I'm not turning back now!)
Brendan: I am absolutely certain that it is the answer to these mysteries, Your Honor!
Judge: I see. Well, Mr. Namron, I must test this confidence. Should your proposed theory not match up to the proceedings so far, you will be penalized.
[HEALTH RISK: 20%]
Brendan: Understood, Your Honor. I propose that … !

My client is the murderer
The witness is confused
The witness is the murderer


[Readers may select one of the options to have Brendan respond with.]
[If there is no reader posting within 24 hours of this edit, I will post the answer I originally wrote in the script and continue to the next Cross Examination.]
[Please give feedback (whether you play or not)! :-) ]

Last edited by Strife89; 07-27-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Note at the end; will be removed later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Flareth's Avatar
Flareth Flareth is offline
The fastest girl in town
 
Join Date: June 30, 2008
Location: Aperture Science
Age: 20
Posts: 3,644
Pronoun: She
Flareth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

The witness is the murderer....because it's obvious. Usually the first non-detective, non-client witness in the first case is the murderer!~
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareth View Post
The witness is the murderer....because it's obvious. Usually the first non-detective, non-client witness in the first case is the murderer!~
'Tis true of the games, and I have every intention of making the first 4/5 cases tie together like a single, complete "game"; so this is case 1-1, if you will. Not saying I WILL make any cases after that, but we'll see.

Besides, if you read the intro, you know who the murder is before even reading the case! Just like the introductions to 1-1 and 2-1 in the games. :)

As a result, I made this case almost pathetically short and easy; its biggest purpose, story-wise, is to be exposition to the rest of the cases.

Case 2, on the other hand ..... well, wait and see. :)

-----------------------------------

The witness is the murderer

Brendan: Your Honor, it is the defense's firm belief that the witness is the true culprit of this crime!
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Pursuit ~ Cornered 2004 Variation)

PROFILE ADDED TO THE COURT RECORD
Night Russ: Ex-Team Rocket spy. Could he be the actual murderer?

Judge: W-What?! Are you serious?
Brendan: Deadly serious, Your Honor. And just look at the witness!
(Sure enough, Russ looks like he's sweating a whole ocean. He fidgets nervously.)
Brendan: Sorry, Roxanne. Looks like your witness did exactly the opposite of what you wanted him to do.
Brendan: He pointed me to the real murderer!
Roxanne: … Heh.
Brendan: … ?
Roxanne: An interesting theory, to be sure, Brendan.
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Suspense)
Brendan: (nervously) (Oh boy.)
Roxanne: But ... it's impossible to prove.
Brendan: What are you talking about? Of COURSE it's possible to prove ......
Roxanne: Look at the Court Record, Mr. Namron! There's nothing there!
Brendan: ..... (Is there really? ...... Agh! She's right! There's nothing in here I can use!)
Roxanne: Face the facts, Brendan. Your client is guilty. Let this trial – and your old friendships – go. There's nothing you can do.
Brendan: ….
Roxanne: School can't teach you everything, Brendan. I learned that when you beat me in our Gym Battle, ten years ago.
Brendan: … (This isn't happening. I can't have lost already!)
Brendan: (I've got to do something! Anything!)
Roxanne: I'm sorry, Brendan. Time's up.
Phoenix: Master …. Hang on. Help is coming ....

(Music fades. Fade out, then back in on the Judge.)

(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Ace Attorney ~ Court Begins)
Judge: Unfortunately for the defense, the prosecution has a point. The witness cannot be proven guilty.
Judge: However, there are still some doubts in my heart about this case.
Brendan: !
Roxanne: !
Judge: I request that both sides conduct a more thorough search of the crime scene.
Brendan: (We-we have more time? There's still hope?)
Brendan: (But … what if Roxanne finds a case-breaker? What if Russ runs off to somewhere?)
Brendan: (Another day may just delay the inevitable …)
Brendan: (Maybe I'm not cut out for this after all … ?)
Brendan: (Sorry, Machoke. Sorry, David. I tried …....)
(Music fades out.)










HOLD IT!
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All - Pursuit ~ Questioned)

Judge: W-Who is this?
???: Detective Kirlia “Skye Namron” reporting, Your Honor!
Brendan: Sk-Skye! What is it? What are you doing here?
Skye: I have important evidence that can turn this entire case on its head!
Roxanne: W- WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!
*loud gallery chatter*
*gavel pounds three times*
Judge: Order! ORDERRRR! Detective Skye, what is this evidence that you have?
Skye: This flashlight!

[Flashlight added to the Court Record.]

Flashlight: Small but durable flashlight with a metal case. Bears Russ's fingerprints. Two tiny letters, “NR”, have been etched into the rear end of the case.

Judge: What is important about it?
Skye: It was found at the crime scene, inside the apartment, Your Honor! It has the witness's fingerprints all over it! It is, in all likelihood, his own flashlight!
Roxanne: You're kidding!
Skye: I kid you not. The forensics team confirmed the fingerprints two minutes ago. I teleported here right away!
*loud gallery chatter*
Brendan: (S-Skye … Thank you …)
Skye: (You can thank me when this is over, Master. I think there's another testimony coming up, and possibly another challenge …)
Brendan: (R-Right! Let's do this!)
*gavel pounds three times*
Judge: Order, I say! Order in the court! ORRDERRRR!
Judge: Witness! What is the meaning of this flashlight? It clearly ties you to this case as more than just a bystander!
Russ: … Hmph. (Music stops.)
Brendan: ?
Russ: I admit it, I did handle that flashlight.
Russ: But I still stand by the fact that I am not the murderer! That flashlight is not mine!
Brendan: (Naturally.)
Russ: I am NOT going to jail again. Let's get my name cleared up, right here, and right now!
Judge: I-If you insist, witness. G-Go right ahead.

CROSS EXAMINATION
Little More Than a Bystander
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Cross Examination ~ Allegro 2004)
Russ:
Part 1: Alright, I admit I went into the apartment.
Part 2: But I didn't dare step in there until the action stopped.
Part 3: And yes, the victim did defend himself. Clocked that Machoke pretty good.
Part 4: Anyway, I went in there after the fight was over, and it was dark,
Part 5: so I picked up that flashlight and took a look around the scene.
Part 6: I didn't touch a thing, though!

(Music pauses.)
Judge: So, you entered the room and looked around?
Russ: Yes, and that's all I did.
Brendan: (That entire testimony was a pack of lies.)
Brendan: (But I can't exactly prove that all of it is bogus.)
Brendan: (So, I'll just have to focus on the part that will hit him the hardest!)
Judge: I see. The defense may begin the Cross Examination.
(Music resumes.)

[Readers may ask to Press a part, read the Recap (the text that comes after the last part before looping back to the first), or they can Present evidence/profiles. Generally speaking, only the first response will be acknowledged, unless it is an incorrect Objection/presentation of evidence, or if there are multiple presses in a row.]
[If there is no reader posting within 24 hours of this edit, I will post the answer I originally wrote in the script and continue to the next Cross Examination.]
[Please leave comments if you read, whether you play or not!
:)

Little explanation about Skye: She speaks using telepathy, and thus isn't "filtered" through Brendan's Pokégear. The purple text is used as an indication of this.
In addition, if Skye's text is in parentheses, it means she is communicating only with Brendan. She can read at least Brendan's thoughts, and thus he can respond without speaking.

Last edited by Strife89; 07-30-2010 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Tacked on some information on Skye's "speech".
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Flora's Avatar
Flora Flora is offline
Nobody but me is gonna change my story!
 
Join Date: June 25, 2008
Location: Somewhere in PA
Age: 20
Posts: 5,517
Pronoun: She
Flora is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Flora Send a message via MSN to Flora
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Your Honor, if the murder did occur at 10:50 AM, as stated in the victim's Autopsy Report, then the witness would have no need of a flashlight!

Present Evidence - David's Autopsy Report - Part 4
__________________
Everyday I'm tumblin'

If you wanna read about my adventures in a bizarre version of Johto click here

GPX+

This usertitle won't make me cry. (did you know that Tim Minchin has composed a musical WELL NOW YOU DO the music is lovely)


no really the music is great
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora and Ashes View Post
Your Honor, if the murder did occur at 10:50 AM, as stated in the victim's Autopsy Report, then the witness would have no need of a flashlight!

Present Evidence - David's Autopsy Report - Part 4
I won't penalize you for this one, because I made a typo, somehow, in the Court Record. While I do start the opening scene with the correct time, the Autopsy Report is incorrect; it should say 10:50 PM.

I'll go fix it in the Court Record right now. Sorry about that. ^^;

Last edited by Strife89; 07-27-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Indicated that I corrected my error.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Karkat Vantas's Avatar
Karkat Vantas Karkat Vantas is offline
Virile God-Snake Tower of Masculinity
 
Join Date: June 26, 2009
Location: New York
Age: 17
Posts: 3,541
Pronoun: He
Karkat Vantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Karkat Vantas Send a message via Skype™ to Karkat Vantas
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Press statement 6.
__________________


ALL I SEE IS BLOOD
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammington View Post
Press statement 6.
(I didn't touch a thing, though!)

HOLD IT!
Brendan: But you touched the flashlight, correct?
Russ: Yes, I did. I wanted to make sure that the victim was actually dead.
Brendan: But that contradicts your statement that you touched nothing!
Russ: And? It was a silly flashlight, nothing more.
Roxanne: Indeed, Brendan. The flashlight is insignificant to this case.
Brendan: (How much do you want to bet on that? It's time to up the ante.)
-------------------------------

{Since that was the last statement in the testimony, I'll go ahead and post the recap.}

Phoenix: There sure are a lot of lies in that testimony
Brendan: Yeah, well, there's only one lie that can be proven wrong right now. The rest is guesswork.
Phoenix: Yeah, but … How?
Brendan: The evidence we just got tells all. …

{Return to the testimony. Take a good look at the evidence, y'all. It'll come to you. :) }
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Blazie's Avatar
Blazie Blazie is offline
Nothin's ever gonna bring us down~
 
Join Date: October 23, 2008
Location: Dramaland, Canada
Age: 19
Posts: 756
Pronoun: Female
Blazie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

So. I've never played Ace Attorney before, but this is really awesome, so I will give it a try.

Present evidence - flqshlight - statement 5. The flashlight case has his initials, and those initials aren't shared by any other parties involved. So the flashlight is his. So he wouldn't have picked it up off the ground...?
__________________
PMD: A Divide
Most of us know the story of Grovyle and his partner, separated in the past but still managing to save the planet. But there is another story. A story of the hero landing as a memory-less Pokemon - alongside Grovyle. With Grovyle too distraught to explain what has happened, and every friend dividing her between two ways of life, Holly will come to understand that relationships are complicated - and can change in an instant.

Last edited by Blazie; 07-28-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazie View Post
So. I've never played Ace Attorney before, but this is really awesome, so I will give it a try.

Present evidence - flqshlight - statement 5. The flashlight case has his initials, and those initials aren't shared by any other parties involved. So the flashlight is his. So he wouldn't have picked it up off the ground...?
Give the Ace Attorney games a try when you get the chance; they are quite fun. :)

Sorry for taking so long to reply. My laptop was partially out of commission earlier this morning.

As for your presentation:

------------------------------------

OBJECTION!

(Music stops.)
Brendan: Your Honor, please take a very close look at this flashlight.
Judge: I see it. What does this button d- YOW!
Brendan: (That's the power switch, Your Honor. And you shouldn't point a flashlight at your eyes like that.) Your Honor, there's something else on this flashlight that incriminates the witness!
Judge: R-Really?
Russ: …
Brendan: Yes. Please observe the back end of the flashlight. Right next to the battery cover are two small letters.
Roxanne: …
Judge: Why, these- these letters say “NR”!
Brendan: Indeed they do, Your Honor. Let's assume, for a moment, that these letters are initials, identifying the owner. Who, then, does this flashlight belong to?
Russ: M- … M- ….
Roxanne: Y-You don't mean, Brendan, that … !
Brendan: It's exactly what I mean, Roxanne. This flashlight was not already in the room! It belongs to Night Russ!
(Music: Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness - Cipher Peon Battle)
Roxanne: N-NooooooooooOOOOOOO!
Brendan: I don't know what Russ was doing with a flashlight that night, but I have an idea.
Brendan: Russ, our ex-spy, decided to do a little snooping around the neighborhood.
Brendan: And he just happened to be at David's apartment when David walked in a late hour!
Russ: … Stop, kid. You don't know what you're doing.
Brendan: So Russ panicked! He grabbed the first heavy thing he could find, which turned out to be this collector's bottle on a shelf!
Brendan: And when he could hide no longer, he knocked out Machoke and killed David to keep them quiet!
Russ: Kid, shut up now!
Brendan: The witness then put the bottle in the defendant's and victim's hands to clutter it with fingerprints, and left to call the police and report the crime as a witness!
(Music fades out.)
Brendan: Well, Mr. Russ? How's my aim?
Russ: … (RAGE face, breathing heavily)
Roxanne: … (sweating hard, frustrated look)
Judge: … (wide-eyed)
Skye: (You've won, but you haven't. Not just yet …)
Skye: (Brace yourself.)
Russ: …
(There is a FLASH, and the sound of a Pokéball letting something out ....)
(Music: Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Encounter! Team Rocket)
???: Grrrrrrrr …. *BARK*
Russ: Attack.
(WOOSH-WHACK!)
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Suspense)
Brendan: S-Skye!
(Kirlia has put up a psychic barrier – Reflect – and is standing right behind it, almost nose-to-nose with a Mightyena that was lunging for Brendan himself.)
Russ: One-on-one. Two each. Right now. When you lose, you throw this case, or I sue you. You refuse, I sue your pants off. You'll be on the streets begging for food, without a job. Just like me.
Brendan: W-What?! Russ, don't do this!
Russ: Why shouldn't I? I got nothing left to lose, 'cept a few months of my life in prison. And they ain't worth having.
Brendan: Russ, think about this. You can work this out, maybe even plead to reduce your sentence ….
Russ: I ain't stickin' around no more!
Judge: Now, wait a second, witness! We will not be roughhousing in my courtr--
Mightyena: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Judge: AHHHHHHH! *whimper*
Russ: I'm done playing games, lawyer! Do you accept my challenge or not?
Brendan: I- I- ….
Brendan: (And I thought Teams Aqua and Magma were bad ….)
Brendan: (Can I even meet his challenge?)
Brendan: (… I haven't done any training in years. These two haven't been in any real battles yet …)
Brendan: (And if they lost their first battle, it'd shatter their confidence, wreck all our lives … Mine, their's, Machoke's ….)
Brendan: (Now is not the time to get them started! Not with these stakes.)
Brendan: Mr. Night Russ, I have my answer.
Russ: Give it to me, then! I haven't got very long.
Brendan: Russ, I choose to decl---
HOLD IT!
Skye, Phoenix: (in unison) He accepts!
Brendan: WHAT?!
Roxanne: What are you two doing? If your trainer wishes to decline a battle, that's HIS decision alone! You have no right –
Brendan: No.
Roxanne: !
Brendan: Pokémon are every bit as human as you and me, Roxanne. Even the law recognizes that.
Roxanne: But … but … !
Brendan: Why do you think we're holding a normal trial with a Pokémon as the defendant? Because Pokémon have souls and intelligence to match ours. One of these days, maybe the entire world will come to see that …
Roxanne: …
(Music fades out.)
Brendan: As for this … I have faith in them, just as I believe they have faith in me.
Brendan: Russ, if you would have just realized this, maybe things would have turned out better for you …
Russ: …
Brendan: But … at this point, I fear it's too late for you.
Brendan: I will stand by my friends' decision. I accept your challenge!

[Skye (Kirlia) added to the party.]

Skye (Kirlia): Lv. 15, 45 HP. 24 ATK, 28 DEF, 32 SPEED, 38 SP. ATK, 35 SP. DEF --- Confusion, Teleport, Double Team, Reflect


---------------------------------

(Strife89 listens to the Suspense theme as he types this.)
Okay, here's where things get complicated. In my original presentation to a friend on IRC, he played out the battle with a somewhat simplified version of the battle rules as found in the fourth generation of the Pokémon games, with me presenting the opponent's full party+stats and running all of the calculations, and occasionally spitting out character dialogue.

However, on a forum, that's going to become a mess VERY fast, with loads of short posts dictating a round of battle and declaring the player's next move until it's over.

What's more, I haven't playtested it much yet, some of the moves/levels are illegal in the official games, and the friend had an astoundingly hard time with the battle due to poor design on my part. (Just look at Brendan's team, then note that the Rocket has a MIGHTYENA.)

So, I have a few options for y'all. I CAN run the battle on this thread, but in addition to the disadvantages I mentioned, this thread would get bumped every three minutes and difficult to follow.
So, alternatively, I can just post my friend's battle log for now, or I can skip the battle entirely and just tell you the results, then continue to finish the trial (and thus, this leg of the story) and move on to Case 2.

I will say that y'all have won the case, so this battle and the conclusion is all that's left. :)

The next post will determine how I handle this. Be quick, everyone.

EDIT: Also, I was wondering .... any decent artists among you? I can't draw to save my life, but I really wanted at least one picture, so ....

If any of you are interested, I was thinking about inserting a picture of Skye as she bursts into the courtroom (she teleported to the lobby and then rushed in), brandishing the flashlight, with a small jacket she's wearing flailing behind her. As a shoutout to the Ace Attorney games, I like to picture her pose as either
or
(But nowhere near as "formal"-looking, in the case of Franziska. :) )

Any volunteers? It doesn't have to be an elaborate work of art; I'll even take a sketch as long as it looks decent. I'll post the two or three that I like most at the spot where Skye makes her entrance, and give credit to all artists whether I post them or not. :)

Last edited by Strife89; 07-29-2010 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Pic request.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Anomaly 54's Avatar
Anomaly 54 Anomaly 54 is offline
Used to be Cheat Master
 
Join Date: May 30, 2010
Age: 16
Posts: 621
Pronoun: He
Anomaly 54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

I've never tried Phoenix Wright games before, I must go out and get one sometime.

Do the battle log, I'll be quicker than an actual battle and more fun then skipping it
__________________

Last edited by Anomaly 54; 07-28-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu Chris View Post
I've never tried Phoenix Wright games before, I must go out and get one sometime.
There are five games so far. The first three feature the iconic Phoenix, the next features Apollo (a fan of Phoenix), and the fifth features Edgeworth (a prosecutor). Edgeworth's game focuses on investigating crime scenes, but you still get Arguments (my favorite parts), which are just out-of-court Cross Examinations. =)

The games all reference the continuity of the previous ones; as such, it's highly recommended to play them in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichu Chris View Post
Do the battle log, I'll be quicker than an actual battle and more fun then skipping it
I'm quite eager to get Case 2 up, so I'll go ahead and do just that. :P

--------------------------

Russ: …. Fine. Let's begin.

(Music: Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - VS Team Rocket)

Ex-Rocket Grunt Night has challenged Brendan!

Opponent's team:
Mightyena: Lv. 10, 40 HP. 29 ATK, 26 DEF, 25 SPEED, 24 SP. ATK, 23 SP. DEF --- Tackle, Bite, Taunt, Swagger
Breloom: Lv. 10, 38 HP. 37 ATK, 27 DEF, 26 SPEED, 26 SP. ATK, 23 SP. DEF --- Absorb, Leech Seed, Stun Spore, Tackle

Grunt Night sent out Mightyena!
Go, Phoenix!

What will Phoenix or Brendan do?

Mightyena used Tackle!
7 damage to Phoenix! (Phoenix: 30 HP)
Phoenix used Growl!
Mightyena's Attack fell! (Mightyena: 40 HP, 26 ATK)

Mightyena used Taunt!
Phoenix fell for the Taunt! (Phoenix: 30 HP, may only use direct attack moves)
Phoenix used Ember!
10 damage to Mightyena! (Mightyena: 30 HP)

Mightyena used Bite!
15 damage to Phoenix! (Phoenix: 15 HP)
Phoenix used Ember!
10 damage to Mightyena! (Mightyena: 20 HP)

Brendan called Phoenix back!
Go, Skye!
Mightyena used Bite!
It's Super Effective! 24 damage to Skye! (Skye: 21 HP)

Skye used Reflect!
A barrier formed itself around the team! (Incoming attacks halved.)
Mightyena used Bite!
It's Super Effective! 12 damage to Skye! (Skye: 9 HP)

Skye, that's good!
Your turn, Phoenix!
Mightyena used Tackle!
4 damage to Phoenix! (Phoenix: 11 HP)

Mightyena used Bite!
8 damage to Phoenix! (Phoenix: 3 HP)
Phoenix used Ember!
Critical hit! 20 damage to Mightyena!

Mightyena has fainted!
Russ: Grr ….
Grunt Night sent out Breloom!

Breloom used Tackle!
4 damage to Phoenix!

Phoenix is down!
Brendan: … Good job, man. Come on back, k?
Brendan: You okay?
Phoenix: I'm a little ... beat … ugh
Brendan: You did your job. Let's let Skye finish this.
Skye: With pleasure.

Skye used Confusion!
It's Super Effective! 42 damage to Breloom!

Breloom has fainted!
(Music: Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Victory! VS Trainer)
Russ: W-What?!
Russ: Y-y-y-y-y-y-YOU!
Russ: How dare you crush my last wish!
Russ: T-t-t-this isn't fair! Not even close!
Russ: I demand a rematch now!
Brendan: … Sorry, Russ. It's over.

--------------------

I was, admittedly, being VERY lenient on my friend when we did that battle, as I realized I had unintentionally stacked the stats and movesets against him and wasn't keen to redo the battle; besides, it's the first battle of the series and wasn't meant to be hard.

In place of battles, I want to try another "gimmick" for later cases, one that's more forum-friendly, but I haven't figured out what I can do yet. I will do Psyche Locks in investigations, and I have a twist planned for them.

Trainers will still call out Pokémon on occasion, but only for story purposes (like threats, the way Russ did) and not "playable" battles.

Speaking of investigations, I'm probably not going to make those playable on this thread, save Psyche Locks, as there's no fun in idly selecting the next topic to listen to or picking the next spot to examine on a bulletin board. No challenge, you know?

Just wait 'till the first trial of Case 2, though. Hooo, man. :)

Oh, and I know I want a different prosecutor for case 4 (5?), just not sure who I'm gonna make it. That decision (and the case itself) depends on whose backstories I end up focusing on.


Anyway, any comments or thoughts before I post the end of the case?

(And when the heck will this thread get a second page? There's a lot of scrolldown now. XD)

Last edited by Strife89; 07-29-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Minor rewording to something a little more sensible.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-29-2010, 01:53 AM
Karkat Vantas's Avatar
Karkat Vantas Karkat Vantas is offline
Virile God-Snake Tower of Masculinity
 
Join Date: June 26, 2009
Location: New York
Age: 17
Posts: 3,541
Pronoun: He
Karkat Vantas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Karkat Vantas Send a message via Skype™ to Karkat Vantas
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (Case 2 about to begin!) (PLAYABLE!)

I just realized something.

Namron is Norman backwards.

Norman was a character in RSE.

Brendan was Norman's son.

CLEVER NAME PUNS, GOOD SURE
__________________


ALL I SEE IS BLOOD
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Strife89 Strife89 is offline
Not an Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: July 7, 2010
Age: 24
Posts: 92
Pronoun: He
Strife89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney (Case 1) (Case 2 about to begin!) (PLAYABLE!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammington View Post
I just realized something.

Namron is Norman backwards.

Norman was a character in RSE.

Brendan was Norman's son.

CLEVER NAME PUNS, GOOD SURE
XD

It's practically a tradition of the Ace Attorney series to make most (if not all, save the Judge) of the characters' names to be puns in some way or another. Aside from that, I simply couldn't think of a more creative last name for Brendan and thought that going with the lame pun would induce at least one snicker. That said, I thought it was such an obvious pun that I feared pointing it out would feel insulting to someone. >.<

Torchic!Phoenix's name is a pun, too, if you think about it; Skye's, on the other hand, is not a pun, but a shout-out to the spunky Ema Skye, the resident detective of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (and replacement assistant for case 5 of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney).

Anyway, here you all are! The ending of Case 1!

-------------------------------

(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations - Trials And Tribulations ~ Court Begins)
Judge: Indeed, it seems we have at last come to the end of a … most interesting trial.
Judge: Prosecution, what is the status on Mr. Russ?
Roxanne: He has been escorted out by the police, Your Honor. I'm sure they will … look after him.
Judge: I see. Ms. Roxanne, do you have anything to add?
Roxanne: …. Only one thing.
Brendan: ? What would that be?
Roxanne: …. You may not want to admit it now, but …
Roxanne: … you and your friends … still have it.
Brendan: …?
Roxanne: That fighting prowess that I saw so many years ago ….
Roxanne: You could have been one of the greats. A role model for trainers worldwide.
Roxanne: I see what you meant now. Against that vicious Mightyena, you all managed to triumph,
Roxanne: because of that bond you share.
Roxanne: I can only hope that one day, you will return to the Gym Challenge.
Brendan: …. Thanks.
Roxanne: Oh, and you aren't a bad lawyer either.
Brendan: *humbled expression* Thanks, Rox. You're not bad either, really.
Judge: *sniff* Is everybody done here? I'm ready to announce my verdict.
(Music fades out.)
Judge: This court finds the defendant, the Machoke of David Schwitz …

NOT. GUILTY.

*cheers and confetti*

Judge: And that, as they say, is all she wrote. Court is adjourned!
*gavel pounds*

[ 11:54 AM – July 16, 2017 ]
[ Goldenrod City District Court – Lobby ]
(Music: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Won The Case! ~ First Victory)
Skye: Master, I gotta hand it to ya – I knew you would do well, but I never saw THAT coming!
Brendan: *chuckles* Don't mention it, Skye. I owe you both a lot for what you did in there.
Machoke: And I owe you all my life.
Brendan: !
Machoke: Without the three of you, I'd be in confinement forever … I'd never know who the killer was, y'know? That kind of not-knowing will do things to you.
Brendan: Glad we could help, Machoke. I couldn't turn you down even if that Rocket threatened my life.
Skye: (He, uh, did.)
Brendan: (Don't remind me …. *shudder*)
Machoke: Truly amazing, what you did. Few trainers are willing to trust their Pokémon so much.
Brendan: Yeah. I've been trying to change some people's minds, but it hasn't worked much.
Kirlia: I get the feeling that when word gets out about this case, that'll all change.
Brendan: We'll see, won't we.
Brendan: But, anyway! Who's up for dinner tonight? My treat.
*grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*
Brendan: Waaaaaah! Another Mightyena?!
Phoenix: …. *grrrrrrrrrrrrr*
Kirlia: It's his stomach! *giggles*
Brendan: Poor guy's had a rough morning. Tell you what. Let's run by the Pokémon Center for a minute and get you all refreshed. Then, we go to lunch! Goldenrod Grill, anyone?
Kirlia: Goldenrod Grill?! I've heard so much good about it! We're going, now!
Machoke: Sounds delicious!
Phoenix: B- … burgerrrrrrrrssssss ….
Brendan: Heh, guess no one wants to stick around here. Let's get going!

(Music fades. Fade to black.)

Brendan: (narrating) They held David's funeral on the 18th.
Brendan: I was able to get most everyone David knew to come. They were all very supportive … to each other and Machoke.
Brendan: David … was a good person, even to the end. He treasured everyone's life.
Brendan: We left on the 21st to do some sightseeing. I hadn't been to most of Johto in over ten years, and the other two really wanted to look around some more. Goldenrod was all they knew outside of Hoenn.
Brendan: But when we came back to the city after four days of travel, we found that something happened. Something that changed everything …

Episode 1: Turnabout Return
THE END

----------------------------------------------------

So, what do y'all think? Is anyone wondering what will become of Brendan in his career as a lawyer? Did anyone spot an unaddressed contradiction that's eating at your brain? Was the case fun to read? Fun to "play"? Did the formatting bother you? Did the formatting help? Were the characters consistent? Did the plot make sense? Did I completely RUIN FOREVER someone or something about either of the series that this fic combines? How was my writing? My grammar? etc. etc. etc. .....

Yeah, I have lots of questions, and I'm excited about posting Case 2 .... but I'll only post it if y'all tell me that you want it! What do you say? I'm itching for feedback! :)

Last edited by Strife89; 07-29-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Pokémon, Pikachu and all other Pokémon characters © Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures Inc. The Cave of Dragonflies, content, styles, etc. © Butterfree/Dragonfree/antialiasis.
Forum now hosted by Eevee's HQ.