• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lucas755 vs. Superbird

Aethelstan

Murderer of Words
I'll try this one again.

2v2 single
Style: Set
DQ: 1 week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, chills limited to 3/pokemon, Rest, direct healing moves limited to 1/trainer
Arena: Meadow

Big, grassy meadow. Has scattered patches of tall grass. Blue skies, 72°F.

Profile.

Superbird's Active Squad

torchic
[Firestrike] Torchic (M)
Ability: Blaze

geodude
[Gorouna] Geodude (F)
Ability: Sturdy

croagunk
[Dokon] Croagunk (M)
Ability: Anticiption

natu
[Neitelo] Natu (F)
Ability: Synchronize

Lucas755's Active Squad

Ivysaur
Ivysaur(F)
Ability: Overgrow

Kirlia
Kirlia(M)

Diglett
Diglett(M)
Ability: Sand Veil

Heracross
Heracross(M)
Ability: Guts

venonat
Venonat(M)
Ability: Compound Eyes

The Ref Says:
-Lucas755 sends out
-Superbird sends out and attacks
-Lucas755 attacks
-I ref

P.S. Lucas755, what are Heracross' and Venonat's abilities?

Last edited:
First battle!...I hope I don't epic fail here.

Gourouna, you're out.

Okay, let's first get the advantage speed-wise with Rock Polish. After that, see if you can nail him with Rock Blast. If he does anything to disable your ability to attack, such as Protect, set up a Sandstorm. If at any point after you use Rock Polish he tries to attack, hit him with a nice hard Sucker Punch.

Rock Polish~Rock Blast/Sandstorm/Sucker Punch~Rock Blast/Sandstorm/Sucker Punch

I hope I did this right...

Okay, let's start out by Snatching that rock polish, however hard polishing your rocks may be. Next, use Future Sight instead of a real attacking move; you don't want to be Sucker Punched, do you? Lastly, use Hypnosis.

Snatch ~ Future Sight ~ Hypnosis

There’s a peaceful spot just beyond that hill. You know the one. It’s calm and quiet, the perfect place for a day of relaxation. The grass is cool, the sun shines bright, and there isn’t a flaw to be found within a 500 yard radius. So what should we use this paradise for? Why a reckless, destructive Pokémon battle of course! Two trainers with this very intention dash to corresponding positions on opposite sides of the field. There they each release a Pokémon: one rocky, one graceful, both ready to tear each other apart. A referee, who had been reading a book, looks up with an annoyed expression on his face. He stands up, yawns and announces that this battle has officially begun.

Geodude
[Gorouna] Geodude (F)​
Ability: Sturdy​
Health: 100%​
Energy: 100%​
Rock Polish~Rock Blast/Sandstorm/Sucker Punch~Rock Blast/Sandstorm/Sucker Punch

Kirlia
Kirlia (M)​
Ability: Synchronize​
Energy: 100%​
Status: Staring intently at his opponent. Special Attack +1.​
Snatch ~ Future Sight ~ Hypnosis

Kirlia was the first to take action, but maybe ‘action’ isn’t the right word. As far as Gorouna could tell, all Kirlia was doing was standing there. It sort of seemed that she was emitting a darkly colored glow, but Gorouna had other things to think about for now. Grabbing some small rocks off the ground, Gorouna was just about to begin smoothing herself, when all of a sudden, the stones flew out of her hand. Gorouna looked over, shocked to see the stones polishing Kirlia instead. With a light touch, the stones were carefully rubbing Kirlia’s skin, quickly giving him a sleeker appearance. Gorouna, clearly irritated by the interruption, decided a more direct approach would be better and began ripping chunks of rock out of the ground. With a quick one-two action, Kirlia soon had boulders colliding with his face (a rather unpleasant experience). After a final clobbering of rock, Gorouna was beginning to wonder if Kirlia was going to actually physically move any time soon. All though he hadn’t leapt into action (and all that was apparent was a glowing of the eyes), a much more elaborate process had been occurring in Kirlia’s mind. A glance into the future was all that was needed to effectively prepare an attack that Gorouna would know nothing about.

Gorouna, while suspicious, had no other real option but to attack again. Reaching down to grip more pieces of earth, Gorouna’s movements were again interrupted, but this time by a new red glowing of Kirlia’s eyes. Gorouna was thinking two things at this point: Kirlia sure did glow a lot of colors, and that she was feeling really sleepy all of sudden. Gorouna tried to avert her gaze, but it was too late, she was already dozing off, and soon was in a deep sleep. Kirlia smiled devious smile; he had managed to disable his opponent and give himself a boost all without moving a muscle. Gorouna would have to think of something fast in order to recover, and that would be assuming she woke up anytime soon.​

Geodude
[Gorouna] Geodude (F)​
Energy: 96%​

Kirlia
Kirlia (M)​
Health: 94%​
Energy: 88%​

The Ref Says:

Round Notes:
-Rock Polish was Snatched.
-Rock Blast hit 3 times.

Terrain Notes:
-There are small holes around where Gorouna lays.
-There are pieces of rock scattered around Kirlia.

Next Round Notes:
-Lucas755 attacks.
-Superbird attacks.
-I ref.

Last edited:
Aethelstan, do you count Future Sight as a move that goes toward my Choice Specs limit? Would that change if I combo'd it with another attacking move?

Eh, I'll just do a normal round, then. Kirlia, use Dream Eater (don't fail me now, RNG), then Calm Mind twice.

Dream Eater ~ Calm Mind ~ Calm Mind

...Well, this sucks. All you can really do is Sleep Talk until you wake up. As soon as you wake up, let's try Attracting that jerk. If you still have available actions after that, use Captivate to destroy that Calm Mind. Continue with Captivate if you still can.

Sleep Talk/Attract~Sleep Talk/Attract/Captivate~Sleep Talk/Attract/Captivate

Geodude
[Gorouna] Geodude (F)​
Energy: 96%​
Sleep Talk/Attract~Sleep Talk/Attract/Captivate~Sleep Talk/Attract/Captivate

Kirlia
Kirlia(M)​
Health: 94%​
Energy: 88%​
Dream Eater ~ Calm Mind ~ Calm Mind

After a quick command from one trainer and a whole mouth-full of orders from the other (to a sleeping Pokémon, no less) both Pokémon geared back into action… or at least one did. Kirlia, taking advantage of his foes unconscious body, stepped forward and with his eyes glowing yet another color, pink this time, began flipping through the pages of Gorouna’s mind. At that very moment, Gorouna was having a pleasant dream of crushing her opponent in battle. Gorouna’s physical body could all of a sudden be seen fidgeting nervously as the dream began to fade, replaced instead with total blankness. Absorbing the energy from the dream into her own body, Kirlia once again smiled, this time from the relief and refreshing mending his body was converting the energy into.

With little to be accomplished by a motionless body, Gorouna’s subconscious mind kicked in at this point, to allow some form of defense against the incoming threat. Without so much as opening an eye, Gorouna suddenly began swiftly moving back and forth, whispering flirtatious (as far as Pokémon goes) messages to Kirlia’s most surprised ears. He wasn’t sure what to make of it, but despite the fact that she was asleep (or maybe in spite of that fact) Kirlia actually kind of liked what he was seeing. In a weird way, it was kind of cute. After much inner conflict, Kirlia ultimately rejected his trainers command, instead opting to wink at the pretty… rock.

While still appearing to be asleep, Gorouna’s lips could be seen moving once more, and without warning, she began to violently flail her arms at the ground, breaking it up. Pulling the boulders from the ground, Gorouna once again began assaulting Kirlia with a rain of rock. After a severe bruising to the chest, arms, and head Kirlia wasn’t sure what to think, especially after the show she had put on earlier. It was clear that at the very least, Gorouna was very emotionally unstable, and a boost in power couldn’t hurt anyway. Trying to ignore all the questions going through his head, Kirlia began to set his focus on strengthening his unique attacks and defense.

Some more soft murmuring could be heard from Gorouna’s side of the field, though this time, she barely moved at all. Her arms simply flipped up, grabbed two smaller chunks of rocks and began rubbing them across her body. The rapid motions had soon smoothed out most of Gorouna’s surface, and this process also had an added benefit. It had been so uncomfortable, Gorouna had started to wake up. In no time at all, she would be back in action.

Geodude
[Gorouna] Geodude (F)​
Health: 87%​
Energy: 83%​

Kirlia
Kirlia(M)​
Health: 88%​
Energy: 81%​
Status: Both confused and annoyed. Infatuated. Special Attack +2. Speed +2. Special Defense +1.​

The Ref Says:

Round Notes:
-Sleep Talk generated Attract, Rock Blast, and Rock Polish. (I swear I used a random number generator)
-Rock Blast hit 3 times.

Terrain Notes:
-There are large holes and cracks around where Gorouna lays.
-There are chunks of rock scattered around Kirlia.

Next Round Notes:
-Superbird attacks.
-Lucas755 attacks.
-I ref.

(P.S. I realized I forgot to note the boost from Specs. Added in)

Woohoo! Thanks, RNG gods!

Okay, its Special Attack is still a threat, so let's go with a Captivate. After that, try one more Rock Polish.On action three, let's use Double Team, making 4 clones. If at any time Kirlia tries to Snatch one of these, go with Rock Blast instead.

Captivate/Rock Blast~Rock Polish/Rock Blast~Double team (4 clones)~Rock Blast

Use Captivate, then Imprison. End it with Magical Leaf. Don't worry about Double Team, she shouldn't have enough speed to make more than one clone.

Captivate ~ Imprison ~ Magical Leaf

2v2 single
Banned Moves: OHKOs, chills limited to 3/pokemon, Rest, direct healing moves limited to 1/trainer

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Health: 88%
Energy: 81%
Status: This is both confusing and highly annoying. Special attack +2, speed +2, special defense +2.
Commands: Captivate ~ Imprison ~ Magical Leaf
Chills: 0/3
Healings: 0/1
Item: Choice Specs

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Health: 87%
Energy: 83%
Status: I'mmmawake, I'mawake, jus' gimme a minute (yawn) to get moving...
Commands: Captivate / Rock Blast ~ Rock Polish / Rock Blast ~ Double Team / Rock Blast

Round 3 Begin!

This promises to be an interesting action, thinks Kirlia, preparing herself for the horrible task of charming her opponent. "Hey, Gorouna... um, you're very, um, pretty... beautiful rocks there, and, um, the way you've been battling is very... elegant, and, um..." she trails off, unable to think of any more compliments and decides to just put a whack of psychic energy in to suffice instead. Gorouna blushes and looks away shyly, and then returns the compliment: "Thanks! Haha, you're pretty too, you know, you've got a nice face! And that dress you're wearing really brings out your eyes!" Despite himself, the Kirlia finds that he's blushing, and drops his gaze. Both Pokémon, now, are feeling slight romantic feelings for one another, and both decide to weaken their attacks - after all, they think, they can't totally disobey their trainer, but they can try to hurt each other as little as possible.

Glad at least that he doesn't have to do any more sweet-talking, Kirlia's eyes take on a pink glow and suddenly what appears to be a cage of pink energy forms around Gorouna, and although it almost instantly flickers and vanishes, it takes all ideas on how to use Captivate from her mind with it. Gorouna, in turn, decides to make herself even sparklier and prettier for Kirlia, picking up a couple of small stones from the ground beside her and rubbing them vigorously on her body, smoothing her out and allowing her to move significantly faster.

Kirlia's eyes take on a green glow, and an area of the grass around her tears itself free and launches itself at Gorouna, tearing at her and cutting into her rocky skin. Gorouna recoils, wondering how her wonderful Kirlia could attack her - could it be that he doesn't really like her? No, she thinks, he only did what his trainer said, he couldn't help it... yeah, that's right. She begins her own move, thankful that she doesn't have to hurt her dear Kirlia; she picks herself up off the ground and begins hopping around in circles, and somehow, when she stops, there are two more Geodude trailing her. Both Pokémon stare adoringly at one another as the round draws to a close.

Round 3 End!

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Energy: 67%
Status: My dearest Gorouna... Speed +2, special defense +2.
Attacks Used: Captivate ~ Imprison ~ Magical Leaf

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Health: 69%
Energy: 69%
Status: Kirlia, Kirlia, wherefore art thou Kirlia? Oh wait, you're right there... bah, humans write terrible love stories. Special attack -2, speed +2, Captivate Imprisoned (three more rounds).
Attacks Used: Captivate ~ Rock Polish ~ Double Team

Damage / Energy Calculations
Captivate - 4% energy (accuracy roll 14, needed 100 to miss)
Captivate - 5% energy (accuracy roll 66, needed 100 to miss)
Imprison - 5% energy
Rock Polish - 4% energy
Magical Leaf - 18% damage, 5% energy
Double Team - 5% energy

Notes
- You ordered four actions there, Superbird! But based on your commands, I think you just put a ~ instead of a /.
- For the record, I use a +1 speed as +10 points, and 12.5 base speed to create one clone of Double Team. Thus, two clones.
- Hurk I am awful at writing things like Captivate.
- Woah, Magical Leaf did quite a number there. And no, Gorouna's health and energy totals were not deliberate. :/

Arena Notes
- There are large holes and cracks around where Gorouna lays.
- There are chunks of rock scattered around Kirlia.
- There's a circle around Kirlia - about half a metre in every direction - of considerably shorter grass where the Magical Leaf tore itself free.

Next Round
- Lucas755 Attacks
- Superbird Attacks
- Someone, possibly me, refs

Last edited:
Kirlia, try to use Calm Mind to make yourself more focused and drop that silly attraction. End it with Magical Leaf.

Calm Mind ~ Calm Mind ~ Magical Leaf

Wrong play, Gorouna. You'd best look for something else from Shakespeare, not that I can think of one off the top of my head.

Unfortunately, Captivate is not an option any more. So instead, why don't you be nice and use Swagger to help out your love's attack. After that, I want you to use Rock Blast to cause even more damage to that Kirlia. Finally, after that, let's Protect against the Magical Leaf.

Swagger ~ Rock Blast ~ Protect

Oh, and sorry, ref. I did indeed mean to put a / instead of a ~. Thank you.

2v2 single

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Energy: 67%
Status: My dearest Gorouna... Speed +2, special defense +2.
Commands: Calm Mind ~ Calm Mind ~ Magical Leaf

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Energy: 69%
Status: Kirlia, Kirlia, wherefore art thou Kirlia? Oh wait, you're right there... bah, humans write terrible love stories. Special attack -2, speed +2, Captivate Imprisoned (three more rounds).
Commands: Swagger ~ Rock Blast ~ Protect

Round 3 Begin!

Trying his best to ignore the extremely distracting thoughts pertaining to Gorouna, himself and the two of them together, Kirlia sits down crosslegged and begins meditating, blocking out all external stimuli and focussing her mental energies, energy seeping out into the surroundings as a pink glow. Gorouna, reluctant to talk badly to her beloved. She cannot disobey her trainer's commands, however, and so begins boasting, bragging about her acheivements in some field or another, probably something to do with excavation. The taunts fail to pierce Kirlia's tight concentration, and she breathes a sigh of relief.

Kirlia's meditation continues unabated, and Gorouna is even more reluctant to perform her next action, considering it involves attacking her love; she still can't disobey the one who gives her food and shelter, though, and so with great hesitation she reaches down and tears three rocks from the ground, figuring that three is a reasonably small number, and tosses them at Kirlia; the first two strike the Kirlia in the arm and the chest, but the third hits him in the head. It shocks him out of his trance, and coupled with the clearheadedness that the meditation has brought, he realizes that Gorouna's 'love' is nothing more than a facade. He consoles himself with the fact that her trainer ordered it, that she wasn't acting of her own free will.

Gorouna is the next to move, her eyes glowing a pale green as what appears to be a glass shield winks into existence around her; Kirlia's eyes glow a different, darker green as the grass around him pulls itself free and launches itself at Gorouna as before; upon hitting the shield, however, the grass stops in its tracks and begins sliding slowly downwards. The shield vanishes, and the grass falls, landing in a heap on the ground; in frustration at having his attack ruined, Kirlia shouts out, "I never loved you!"

Gorouna looks heartbroken as the round draws to a close.

Round 3 End!

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Health: 82%
Energy: 54%
Status: Yeah! That's right! And those compliments I gave you? They were a load of rubbish! Speed +2, special defense +4, special attack +2.
Attacks Used: Calm Mind ~ Calm Mind ~ Magical Leaf

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Energy: 53%
Status: How... how could you? You led me on! Special attack -2, speed +2, Captivate Imprisoned (three more rounds).
Attacks Used: Swagger ~ Rock Blast ~ Protect

Calm Mind - 4% energy
Swagger - 5% energy (accuracy roll 99, needed 90 or above to miss - missed)
Calm Mind - 4% energy
Rock Blast - Three hits at 2% damage and 2% energy each (accuracy rolls 29, 46 and 1, needed 80 or above to miss)
Protect - 5% energy
Magical Leaf - 5% energy

Notes
- I didn't think that their special attack drop should fade, even once that initial attraction did. Chalk it up to some lingering attraction or something, I dunno.

Arena Notes
- There's a circle around Kirlia - about a metre in every direction - of considerably shorter grass where the Magical Leaf tore itself free.

Next Round
- Superbird Attacks
- Lucas755 Attacks

Last edited:
Wow, that was a fast one! Thank you!

Okay, Gorouna, now you know never to give in to some faker. Like that. Let's get her back, shall we? First, being faster than your opponent is going to help. Rock Polish all the way. Try to get it in twice in this round. However, if Kirlia tries to snatch that, let her snatch a Magnitude instead. When your opponent uses any damaging move, go underground before it happens with Dig, then attack after the attack is over. About that, though: If you're slower than Kirlia, use Dig the action before the attack, and if you're faster then just use it on the same action. Also, use Magnitude if you've already used Rock Polish twice and no other special conditions apply.

Rock Polish/Dig/Magnitude x3

I used Calm Mind twice, when it was SpD +2 and SpA +0. Shouldn't it now be SpD +4, and SpA +2?

Okay Kirlia, the way those attacks are commanded, you should be able to hit her with a Magical Leaf on the first action before she can even dig. Next, use Will-O-Wisp to nerf that Attack a little, then Toxic to get some damage building up. When you use those last two moves, make sure you go over to her hole if she's in one. Gorouna is a little wider than you, so you should be able to go into that hole a little if she digs too deep.

Magical Leaf ~ Will-O-Wisp ~ Toxic

Thanks for the quick reffing, by the way.

2v2 single

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Health: 82%
Energy: 54%
Status: Yeah! That's right! And those compliments I gave you? They were a load of rubbish! Speed +2, special defense +4, special attack +2.
Commands: Magical Leaf ~ Will-O-Wisp ~ Toxic

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Energy: 53%
Status: How... how could you? You led me on! Special attack -2, speed +2, Captivate Imprisoned (three more rounds).
Commands: Rock Polish / Dig ~ Rock Polish / Dig ~ Rock Polish / Dig / Magnitude

Round 5 Begin!

Kirlia is quick to act, laughing at Gorouna's misery as he gives energy to the grass around him, which tears itself free and throws itself at her, slicing into her rocky skin in various places and leaving her a battered, stinging mess. Gorouna looks down at herself in horror - she's all lumpy, more so than usual - and rips two small rocks from the ground around her, rubbing them all over herself, and when she is finished she's even shinier and smoother than before.

Kirlia holds his hands together and looks closely as a small spark forms, then suddenly something ignites, leaving a roaring ball of flame, which he tosses at Gorouna. It doesn't fly at her as much as bob and weave, but it makes its way over to her, hitting her in one of her sort-of-elbow-things and leaving a stinging burn, snuffing itself out in the process. She, in turn, picks up the same rocks as before, rubbing them over herself in the same manner, though being careful to avoid the burn. She still aggrevates it with all the movement required to rub a rock on herself, though.

Disgusted by the thought of his next move, Kirlia just decides to get it over with: he gathers various nasty toxins from his body, grouping them into a blob in his mouth (urgh it tastes disgusting) before spitting it at Gorouna, who it hits with a splat and soaks through the rocky substance that constitutes her 'skin'. In turn, she starts heaving herself up and dropping down, heaving up and dropping down, wincing as she aggrevates her burn, and each time landing with far more force than something her size should be able to do, shockwaves rippling out from her location and tripping Kirlia, slamming him into the ground, throwing him up again and repeating the whole process several times, leaving him battered and bruised.

As Kirlia warily picks himself up, Gorouna notes the discomfort from the poison now surging through her veins.

Round 5 End!

Team Lucas755
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Kirlia
(Male)
Health: 80%
Energy: 39%
Status: Urk... and now I have this horrible taste in my mouth, too. Speed +2, special defense +4, special attack +2.
Attacks Used: Magical Leaf ~ Will-O-Wisp ~ Toxic

Team Superbird
1imko5.jpg
1imko5.jpg

Geodude
Gorouna (Female)
Health: 40%
Energy: 40%
Status: My arm! D: Special attack -2, speed +6, Captivate Imprisoned (one more round), burned (moderate; 3% damage per round, extra energy on all attacks requiring movement, physical attacks halved); badly poisoned (2% this round, 3% next).
Attacks Used: Rock Polish ~ Rock Polish ~ Magnitude

Magical Leaf - 24% damage, 5% energy
Rock Polish - 4% energy
Will-O-Wisp - 4% energy (accuracy roll 71, needed 75 or above to miss)
Rock Polish - 6% energy
Toxic - 6% energy (accuracy roll 68, needed 85 or above to miss)
Magnitude (6) - 2% damage, 5% energy (accuracy roll 98, needed 100 to miss)

Notes
- For the record, Gorouna can't become faster than Kirlia at the moment: with his +2 he has 70 speed, while even with +6 she only has 60.
- Lucas: yes. Yes it should. Also, quick reffings are my speciality.

Arena Notes
- There's a circle around Kirlia - about a metre and a half in every direction - of considerably shorter grass where the Magical Leaf tore itself free.

Next Round
- Lucas755 Attacks
- Superbird Attacks

Last edited:
As much as I would love to move last again, Superbird went first last round, shouldn't I move first this time?

EDIT: Also, Magical Leaf did 18% a couple of rounds ago, when there was no SpA boost. Now that it's +2, shouldn't it be doing more than 18%?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom