• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Mosh Pit Free-For-All Battle

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
namechange said:
The mosh Pit
1vs1vs1vs1vsEtc. (4-way to begin, but the more the merrier) single battle
Damage Cap: None
DQ time: 1 week
Style: Set
Banned: OHKOs, Chills, Direct Heals, Evasion Boosts, Weather, Multiple-Target Attacks
Arena: It's a free-for-all of awesome in the most awesome place for a free-for-all: A giant pit of foam blocks and balls! This can start any time after there are four people on the roster, but if you link to your profile before a thread is made you can join. About 30 feet square and 5 or 6 feet deep. Restrictions:
-No Pokemon over 4 feet tall or 80 pounds may enter (just like a real kiddie mosh pit.)
-Only pokemon bound to the ground may enter.
-Mosh pits are not exactly easy to move around in. Everything gets a 5% accuracy drop.
-Have fun!

Probably against my better judgment, but here we go. I have some rules changes I would like to discuss on this one, but in order to get the attention of the people involved I thought it would be most efficient to just go ahead and make a thread rather than try and discuss it in the Challenge Board thread. Specifically:

1. Make this battle all "PM commands to the referee" rather than posting. There are a couple of reasons for this besides insane turn-order calculations. First, if it's free PMing rather than posting in the thread, the DQ time is a flat one week instead of one week per person. With ten players you're looking at the potential for two and a half months going by between rounds without anybody getting eliminated for inactivity. Second, it stops the thread from becoming huge with long sections of command posts followed by the occasional reffing.

2. Since this is pretty informal anyway, just forget about the active squad thing for this battle and let people use anything they have that follows the rules. Active squads are mostly to protect people who have small teams from people who have a lot of pokémon and who could just cherry-pick from a huge army if they were allowed to use anything on their team. But here, there's no possible way you could pick one pokémon that would counter the teams of all your opponents. If people don't like this, I can go track down profiles as usual instead.

3. Remove the damage cap. This is just personal preference, so I'm fine if we want to keep it, but it would help a battle like this move a little faster. Also, namechange should define what happens if a pokémon targets another pokémon that has been knocked out because that will happen and in this particular game it wouldn't make a lot of sense to end a round when a pokémon got knocked out. Some suggestions for ways to handle it, for example, would be having the pokémon do nothing until it had an attack with a valid target; have it chill until it had an attack with a valid target; or randomly target all attacks whose original target was no longer valid.

IF YOU AGREE WITH ONE AND TWO: please just PM me your pokémon selection. IF NOT, please post in the thread to discuss. We'll try to come to some kind of consensus. Number three is pretty much on namechange to decide since it's his challenge and I don't think most people would care about it one way or the other. But if you have a strong opinion you can express it one way or another in the thread.

Finally, since this was originally an open challenge with no cap on the number of participants, if you did not put your name in when this was on the challenge board you can still do so now by sending your pokémon choice by PM. If namechange objects you'll all be kicked out again, and if I think I'll go insane otherwise I'll stop accepting participants, but barring that you have until everyone who actually signed up in the thread to send in your choice before we start (or a week, whichever comes first).

The current participant list is as follows:

Wargle - Confirmed
Jack_the_PumpkinKing - Confirmed
Little Bluberry Bomb - Confirmed
Skylark - Confirmed
Dave Strider - Confirmed
namechange - Confirmed
Superbird - Confirmed
Mad MOAI - Confirmed
Griffin - Confirmed
Big Red Cherry Bomb - Confirmed

Zora of Termina - Confirmed
Crazy Linoone - Confirmed
Karkat Vantas - Confirmed
Lucas755 - Confirmed
Pathos - Confirmed

Last edited:
I'd raise the damage cap to 99%, since the likelihood of some jackass bringing out their Dugtrio and spamming Earthquake or something similar is pretty high.

Actually, that wouldn't do much in an arena filled with foam balls.

PWNEMON, YOU THINK OF EVERYTHING!!!

I'm thinking that since, in the game when you target in a multi battle, it goes down in order, that's how we should do it here. So, for example, Wargle targets Jack_The_Pumpkinking, but his pokemon has fainted. He would instead hit LittleBluberryBomb, and so on down the list, and it can wrap around if everyone below your target has their pokemon knocked out.

Anyway, yeah, I tried my hardest to negate all the hits-all moves I humanly could.

Hrm, as much as I like this battle I doubt that you could realistically ref a fourteen-man match.

Maybe you should split this in half? Hell, I'd be willing to ref a seven-man battle. (If I were a ref, of course.)

Icy Wind and Heat Wave? Any plans to negate them?

they both involve weather, so they're banned.

The only problem I see is lava plume, but such a small amount of pokemon have it it shouldn't matter.

I think you should just explicitly ban them in the Banned Move section; "weather" sort of implies Sunny Day, Rain Dance, etc.

I'll just point out that this mosh pit /is/ inside and so any move requiring something natural which is unavailable such as surf isn't going to be happening.

If that makes you want to pull out/change pokemon, feel free to do so.

Can do on the targeting. What about the damage cap?

And icy wind and heat wave have absolutely nothing to do with weather, so if you want them banned you should state that explicitly. If you just want all multi-target moves banned, that might be simplest.

I was afraid this fight would end in one turn if I removed it, but I guess with no multi hit moves that can go too.

What about moves that rely on Shadows like Shadow Punch or Shadwo Sneak?

What I'm asking, is there shadows cast or not?

Yes! It's actually happening!

We're doing it, man.

abpmhf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom