• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Cruel Mode Mafia [INDEPENDENT WIN]

Tailsy

if the nineth lion ate the sun.
Pronoun
she
Hello! Welcome to Cruel Mode Mafia!

Quick rundown: (the original signup thread is located here)

- If you are inactive (ie. you don't submit a night action, and/or do not post in the day discussion) for two phases in a row, you will be automatically shot by the Gamemaster. This will be repeated whenever necessary.
-- Just because you don't have a night action doesn't mean this won't apply to you. You'd better talk!

- A lynch must occur during every day phase. If nobody has voted for a lynch by the end of the day, the Gamemaster will randomly select a player to lynch.
-- In the event that an activated alien is lynched due to the RNG, it will not count as 'alien win' and the game will continue.

- Strict 48 hour cycles, except in the case of a requested extension.
- Flavour text is likely to be important.
- All roles are secret, with some unusual roles thrown in.

Roles have been sent. If you don't have one, please PM me and say so! You can start submitting your night actions now. :) Please title your PM with 'Cruel Mode Mafia - night action' (or whatever), so I'm clear on what you're doing.

You have 48 hours, starting from 4AM GMT. I may start the game slightly early since 4AM is a bit ridiculous for me, but whatever. Go!

Last edited:
Re: Cruel Mode Mafia [NIGHT 0]

The town rises with the sun, unusually uniform in their time-keeping skills. It's a good thing that even though some of them are cold-blooded killers or just generally not quite the whole ten yards, they're all early birds. Mornings are pretty important in this particular town, of course. The gates are locked down, the population is trapped, and they need to go through roll-call every morning to ensure that everyone knows exactly what the local Mafia have been up to. Or those other nutjobs, too. But you know, they're not really important, right?

Today feels awfully strange. Distracted from their breakfast, everyone stares out at the clock tower in the centre of town, wondering just what it is they're feeling. It's deceptively warm today, the sunshine spilling through windows and blinds, the sky a beautiful ultramarine, but nobody can settle into their normal morning routine. Not even the ones making sweet, sweet 'good morning' love to each other. Or the ones who are meant to have their eyes on the road, dumbass!!

All the activity dies down at noon. Everyone approaches the town square like there's a bullfight, fidgeting with their hemlines or smoothing down their skirts or chasing their hat because it has blown off for the seventh time already today. But some are stopped on their way. How unusual it is, to find someone lying dead in an alley. They didn't even know they had shady alleys!

Initially it's taken as mere misfortune, but suspicion soon looms over the town as they all circle to stare at the mangled body of opaltiger, his face in particular rather... crushed-looking, bone and cartilage spiking through torn skin and muscle, shining a wet scarlet. The local coroner determines 'blunt force trauma' – well no shit Sherlock. Everyone agrees that it was probably that mallet over there that did the trick. You know, that one covered in blood and all? Somebody seems to have been terribly reckless during the night.

Of course, the next thing the townspeople do is raid opaltiger's house; although they couldn't see his face in death due to his unfortunate circumstances, there seems to be a small band fairly confident that opaltiger's death was awfully shady.

It's probably the fancy suit. Who wears fancy suits at three oh-nine in the morning?

Having smashed in the door, the first few brave little toasters head into the basement and discover a giant load of paperwork on a desk in the corner, and a corkboard neatly decorated with newspaper clippings of every recent death the town has had recently. Flipping through the paperwork... geez, the reader complains, it's full of such boring crap! But the boring crap is also pretty relevant to every mishap the town has suffered recently – from untimely deaths to the decline in the police force to the suspected lacing of Girl Scout cookies with pheromones. The conclusion is agreed upon by all.

opaltiger is dead. He was Mafia.

Well, that was one bad guy they could strike off the suspicion list (and rollcall, too – stupid opaltiger was always late, probably because he was busy KILLING PEOPLE, that bastard), so that wasn't all that bad! The remaining population head to the town square once more, hearts a-flutter, and the headcount goes smoothly –

“Hey, where's Superbird today?”

Everyone glances around, anxious, expecting Superbird to burst out of the bushes and demand that someone sew another badge onto his lapel like he always does. Nothing happens.

The bravest town members are the ones that go to Superbird's house; the door is unlocked. What on earth...? They all dash upstairs, bumping elbows and knees and other things (“ow!! what the fuck, asshole, keep your hands to yourself!!”), but by the time they heroically slam Superbird's bedroom door open – with all the other upstairs rooms swung wide open in sad repeated error – his body is cold. His throat has been slit in a neat line, blood drying onto his pale neck. There is something strangely off about it; what kind of Mafia uses knives to kill people?

How undignified.

Superbird is dead. He was not mafia.

The townspeople trudge back to announce the news, and to begin day discussion. Today is lynching day, after all, and they need to make a swift decision.

48 hours for day discussion.

2 players did not submit their night actions.
4 players chose to forego their night action.

Re: Cruel Mode Mafia [DAY 1]

Whoo, mafia dead on the first day.
The "what kind of Mafia uses knives to kill people?" comment seems suspicious. Maybe that means Superbird's death was a vigilante kill?

Okay, so. 23 remaining players, 1 mafia down, not too bad. Clearly Superbird was not a mafia kill by the flavour text; probably a vig kill but with secret roles it could possibly be something else.

That's all I can gleam from the flavour text, so uh. 48 hours to lynch someone, yup. Someone say something suspicious go!

I'm curious if the thing about sewing badges to superbird's lapel is just for fun or if the intent's to imply he's inspector.

On the plus side, if he was inspector, he'd probably be a really inept one so no loss there.

Well, one Mafia down is a good thing I guess. So Superbird was most likely Vig kill, though I can't think of any other non-Mafia killing roles.

I agree that it sounds like it could be a vig, but I would hope that the vigilante(s), if present in this game, would know that it's almost always not a good idea to kill on the first night! (Unless their action is mandatory, maybe?) Maybe it could have been a serial killer/psychopath; I think those usually kill with knives. Or maybe it was the Mafia kill after all, and that bit of flavour text is just there to mislead us, but I don't really think that's likely.

The bigger question, I think, is how opal died. The only possibilities I can think of off the top of my head are a bodyguard or bus driver, but it doesn't seem like either of those. Or it could be a second Mafia faction, but "blunt force trauma" doesn't really seem like a Mafia kill, does it? And if neither Superbird's nor opal's death was caused by the Mafia's action, then where did the Mafia's kill go?

Great! :) Why is InvaderSyl dead?

The "what kind of Mafia" comment could just be a red herring, but you never know, I guess. It doesn't matter too much, but at least we know there's another killing role somewhere.

Maybe a lucky bus driver, like in the quick game.

Clarification: InvaderSyl joined after I had already sent the role PMs. They were far too late to join the game.

Also, no night action is 'mandatory' in this game, so to speak. I will ignore roles if they do not send in a night action.

I'm agreeing that "what kind of Mafia uses knives to kill people?" probably means Superbird wasn't a mafia kill, so we'll have to wonder what happened with that. Maybe it's what led to opaltiger's death? With someone who ... wields a mallet in self-defence. Yes. Or one of those bodyguard roles, or another vigilante. Nice to know there are at least two killers (hopefully) on our side, although since choosing to forgo the night action is possible, vig-killing on the first night is a bit much.

Why is InvaderSyl listed as dead on the player's list?

Edit: Bah.

It could be a vigilante got lucky killing a mafia, but that's unlikey. I am not sure how Superbird died though. It could be the insane doctor but I don't know what kind of doctor use knives.

I agree that it sounds like it could be a vig, but I would hope that the vigilante(s), if present in this game, would know that it's almost always not a good idea to kill on the first night! (Unless their action is mandatory, maybe?)

Well, sending in an action (or the choice not to use it) is mandatory, so maybe they forgot or didn't realize they could refrain from using it without triggering Cruel Mode?

Well! We all seem to agree opaltiger was killed by the Mafia, and I have a role that allows me to determine who targeted who during the night phase. I chose to investigate opaltiger since he's a well-known Mafia player. As it turns out, only one player targeted opaltiger during the night, and that was OrngSumb. Of course there's no way to know if OrngSumb is Mafia or a busdriver or something, but I suppose that's what a public interrogation is for, yes?

So, OrngSumb, what do you have to say?

Er, opaltiger was mafia. There might be traitors within the mafia or multiple factions, but I doubt it's a standard mafia killing.

Well! We all seem to agree opaltiger was killed by the Mafia,

Uh... What? Why would the Mafia kill one of their own? It seems more like a vig kill or serial killer.
and I have a role that allows me to determine who targeted who during the night phase.

So you are a Tracker or something?

EDIT: Double ninja'd.

Last edited:

OTL;; I was excited about finally doing something /big/ in a Mafia game that I kinda skimmed over all the posts. Apologies. After reading EE's post, though, I have to agree with the question of where all the Mafia's kills went if neither opaltiger's or Superbird's death was a Mafia kill. In a game with 25 players, not counting Syl, would we have enough members to balance more than one Mafia faction? Because right now, that seems like the most likely reason why opaltiger, a Mafia member, was killed. He's a prime target for the Mafia since he's experienced, and a (smart) vigilante wouldn't kill him on Night 1 without any indication that he's Mafia, once again because he's experienced.

Now I'm not quite thinking straight since exams are just over and I have yet to catch up on my sleep and such, so this might not make sense and I almost certainly have glanced over a bunch of glaringly obvious possibilities... I'm still interested in what OrngSumb has to say, though.

Back
Top Bottom