• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lord of the Fireflies vs. Chief Zackrai

Whirlpool

extemporaneous living
2v2 singles
Style: set
DQ: five days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned moves: Evasion, healing (including Rest), OHKOs, chills limited to 4/pokémon
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including 1 stage Pokémon)
Arena: The Island

Yup, a small island (I mean REALLY small) lost in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, covered entirely of sand except for a small part in the middle, where some grass is randomly scattered, and a giant baobab in the exact center, covering almost one fifth of the island's surface. Of course, only small Pokémon can withstand a battle in that area.

As a side note, I would require only unexperienced players for that battle as it will be my first real battle (damn Daren). Thank you!

Cosmic Blueberry's Active Squad:
[Cotton] Swablu (F)
Ability: Natural Cure

[Snow] Mawile (F)
Ability: Intimidate
Signature Attribute: Magma Heart

[Coat] Swinub (M)
Ability: Oblivious
Signature Attribute: Static Fur

[Sun] Shuppet (F)
Ability: Insomnia

Chief Zackrai's Active Squad:
[Bes] Baltoy (X)
Ability: Levitate

[Ptah] Gligar (M)
Ability: Hyper Cutter

[Ramses] Shroomish (M)
Ability: Poison Heal

- Chief Zackrai sends out.
- Cosmic Blueberry sends out and attacks.
- Chief Zackrai then attacks.

Re: Cosmic Blueberry vs. Chief Zackrai

Haha i got the upper hand here!

Go go Coat!

iaza17317258291200.gif

First off, lead with a nice Curse. If you are taunted, use Body Slam instead. After that, if Ptah is paralyzed, use Icicle Spear. If not, use Body Slam again. Repeat in action three. If at any point Ptah sets up a Substitute, use Ice Beam.

Curse/Body Slam/Ice Beam~Icicle Spear/Body Slam/Ice Beam~Icicle Spear/Body Slam/Ice Beam

Last edited:

Um, crap.

Okay, Ptah. First use U-Turn. And if for that reason that doesn't work, use Endure. Assuming you're still alive, which I know you will be, and if you can out speed it, finish with Toxic.

U-Turn~Endure~Toxic

BUT, if U-Turn works, the send out Bes. And Bes should use Grass Knot to the max.

Grass Knot x3

Last edited:

------Just a nitpick I made an awesome custom sprite for Coat please use it thank you
iaza17317258291200.gif
(Just right click the image then "copy image url")

ALSO U-Turn shouldn't deal as much damage because

a) It's not a STAB move so I think it needs either more energy to perform or a power loss

b) Gligar is not fully evolve so it gets a power loss

I saw that in the move and abilities guide I think.

Last edited:

Sure, but you might want to make it transparent or whatever you call it (blending in with the background).

Last edited:

2v2 singles
Banned moves: Evasion, healing (including Rest), OHKOs, chills limited to 4/pokémon
Special: Only Pokémon at their lowest stage of evolution (including 1 stage Pokémon)

Yup, a small island (I mean REALLY small) lost in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, covered entirely of sand except for a small part in the middle, where some grass is randomly scattered, and a giant baobab in the exact center, covering almost one fifth of the island's surface. Of course, only small Pokémon can withstand a battle in that area.

The island really is as small as Cosmic Blueberry said it was; it took both the ref and Chief Zackrai ages to find it; after all, “The Island” isn’t very specific. The isle itself is dominated by a gigantic tree in its center, its long and gnarled branches shading the grass. Unsurprisingly, most of the island is covered in soft, pure-white sand. “Most of the island”, though, still isn’t saying very much.

The trainers, having elected to stay in their rowboats with the referee, stare at the out-of-place tree for several moments. Strangely, the tree almost seems upside-down. Then, as they turn their attention to the battle, Chief Zackrai pitches a Gligar in a burst of white light; it soars into the sky, its claws snapping. Cosmic Blueberry, smirking about his choice, sends a Swinub; it squeezes its eyes close even tighter against the sun, its fur ruffled. The Pokémon glance over each other and the surroundings as the trainers shout orders, and the referee calls the start of the battle.

Round 1

Chief Zackrai (OO)
Gligar
Ptah (M) <Hyper Cutter>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: U-Turn~Endure~Toxic
-Grinning and gliding through the air.

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Energy:100%
Commands: Curse/Body Slam/Ice Beam~Icicle Spear/Body Slam/Ice Beam~Icicle Spear/Body Slam/Ice Beam
-Fur sparking and sniffing the area.

Ptah tilts his head in puzzlement; how much could that little ball of fluff do, after all? Slightly worried by his trainer’s tone, however, he pulls out of his cruise and scans for the Swinub; sure enough, he’s there under the branches of the tree. Ptah dives toward him and slices Coat, his claws criss-crossing over Coat’s fur. Then, abruptly as he charged toward the Swinub, he somersaults backward, flipping over his head as he turns into red light. Chief Zackrai fumbles for two red and white balls and holds one out; the transformed Gligar speeds into its center. The other Poké Ball, he throws, and what seems to be a tan spinning top comes out, floating over the sand.

Coat seems rather confused at what had just happened, but nevertheless he holds his head up to the sky, mumbling strange and ancient words. Bes looks on with fascination as the Swinub walks around in a circle, swaying from side to side. Coat speaks louder and clearer, still concentrating at the sky, and jumps high. When he comes down, Bes notices that he looks a little more buffer and stronger, but somewhat sluggish. Coat, however, is satisfied with the ritual.

Chief Zackrai (OO)
Baltoy
Bes (X) <Levitate>
Actions: U-turn (Gligar-Baltoy)
-Spinning around.

In reserve:
Ani207MS.png
Energy: 96%

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Health: 93%
Energy: 95%
Actions: Curse
-Feeling stronger. Attack +1, Defense +1, Speed -1.

Arena Status: Nothing has changed.

Notes:
- Sorry for the really late reffing for such a short round. Busy + writers’ block + waiting for mechanics doesn’t work well.
- Chief Zackrai, ASB doesn’t work like competitive battling, so try to read around.
- Chief Zackrai attacks first.
- The post sort of exploded when I tried to put it in, so here again.

Last edited:

ALSO U-Turn shouldn't deal as much damage because

a) It's not a STAB move so I think it needs either more energy to perform or a power loss

b) Gligar is not fully evolve so it gets a power loss

I saw that in the move and abilities guide I think.

You do know all refs have to be approved by the Head Referee (I think, don't remember Negrek's title exactly ATM) so they ought to know what they're doing, right?

Secondly, while not definitive, Kratos Aurion's scale is automated and probably what many refs here use, and if you plug the numbers in, you'll see that Whirlpool's numbers are (or were, since her post's disappeared since then) correct.

If an attack is not STAB, that only affects energy loss, not attack power, and on Kratos's scale (maybe Negrek's too, can't remember) only lowest-of-three evolutionary forms are docked a point for evolutionary form. Middle-of-three and lowest-of-two (like Gligar) don't have their damage changed, and highest-of-three, highest-of-two, and nonevolving Pokemon have their damage boosted up by a point.

ah OK i see. Well i'm definitely sorry here.

|= gee how i feel stupid right now

yeah i also dont believe how not-kind my post was,as i usually show more respect with everybody...
All mah sorries Whirly

EDIT: Oh gee i didnt notice the sprite was non transparent since im in dewgong style so white background yup. Changing that immediately.

iaza17317258291200.gif

Last edited:

First, you want to raise that sp def dont you? Use Amnesia. After, that, slow down the little clay-top-thing by using Icy Wind twice. If by horrible bad luck you forgot Icy Wind during the Amnesia process, use Toxic and then Ice Beam.

Amnesia~Icy Wind/Toxic~Icy Wind/Ice Beam

2v2 singles

Round 2

Chief Zackrai (OO)
Baltoy
Bes (X) <Levitate>
Commands: Grass Knot (x3)
-Hovering over the island.

In reserve:
Ani207MS.png

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Health: 93%
Energy: 95%
Commands: Amnesia~Icy Wind/Toxic~Icy Wind/Ice Beam
-Feeling stronger but sluggish. +1 Attack, +1 Defense, -1 Speed.

The trainers yell orders, their rowboats swaying beneath them. As the referee stands up to declare the beginning of the battle, though, his canoe capsizes under him, flipping over. Spluttering water, he shouts, shaking his head. As the Pokémon look on in amusement, he waves his green flag.

Meanwhile, Bes eyes the scant vegetation surrounding the tree and raises its eyebrow. Even though there’s grass, it’s barely enough to do anything with it, really. It shrugs, and as he balances in the air on its one leg, his eyes glow purple. He raises his arms slightly, the grass in front of Coat gently raising and twisting around itself. Coat watches this display with fascination and scuttles forward to watch Bes’s performance. Of course, he runs into the knotted grass and trips, falling onto his face on the ground. Coat, though, just jumps back up onto his feet and shakes his head, not phased at all. Bes soon notices that Coat’s face appears blank, however, and then, he seems to be in a trance. The Swinub stares into the air at nothing in particular as he clears his mind of thoughts. Later, he seems to partially snap out of his empty state of mind, but he still appears dazed and almost unaware of what was happening.

The whirling Baltoy would have frowned, if it had a mouth. Coat wasn’t going to be moving much for a while, from what it could tell, and well, tripping something that isn’t walking around is difficult. It hung in the air, ready to attack, but this time, its eyes glowed green, willing the plants to grow. Sure enough, the grass sprouts under Coat, thicker and shining the color of Bes’s eyes. The blades wrap around the Swinub’s legs, tangling them; the Swinub falls backward, but Coat almost doesn’t notice it, and his empty expression is still there. Suddenly, Coat inhales deeply, taking in the warm air. When he exhales, though, the gust of wind is anything but hot; it chills the island down to wintry temperatures for several moments. Bes recoils from the chilly air at first, stung. Before the sun can heat the islet back up, frost creeps over all of the terrain, including the Baltoy. It levitates uncomfortably over the sand, its movement impaired by slick ice over its body.

Despite its condition, Bes is still the first to attack, his eyes once again sparking with green light. This time, the green is tinged with blue-white as the grass strains to grow out of the crystalline ice. Nevertheless, it breaks through the cover, already tied, and pulls from behind on Coat’s feet, and the Swinub tumbles down again. Just as before, the Swinub plops back onto his legs. Coat breathes another frosty gale of wind, encasing the Baltoy in another painful layer of frost.

Chief Zackrai (OO)
Baltoy
Bes (X) <Levitate>
Health: 88%
Energy: 91%
Actions: Grass Knot~Grass Knot~Grass Knot
- Chilled and covered in ice crystals. Speed -2.

In reserve:
Ani207MS.png

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Energy: 86%
Actions: Amnesia~Icy Wind~Icy Wind
- Wondering why he tripped so much. +1 Attack, +1 Defense, +2 Special Defense, -1 Speed. Mud Bomb forgotten.

Arena Status: Much of the island is covered in slowly melting ice and frost.

Notes:
- Uh, is this repetitive?
- Because describing these moves can give a somewhat different impression of what is happening, here’s some clarification:
- Coat is under the effects of Amnesia (dulled mental facilities).
- Bes isn’t frozen, but he is slowed by what the A&A Guide describes as “a thin layer of frost covering its joints”.
- There was no extra energy involved in the third Grass Knot.
- Grass Knot isn’t exactly the best move to use against Swinub.
- By the way, the RNG was one number away from forgetting Icy Wind.
- Cosmic Blueberry orders first.

Last edited:

Lucky Amnesia is lucky.

Okay, go offensive NOW. Ice Fang will be your primary attack (do not forget Coat's sig attribute here). If it uses Protect, or tries to status you, use Substitute (15%). If at any time he uses Sunny Day, use Hail on the following action.

Ice Fang/Substitute/Hail x3

Really? Veekun tells me otherwise. I know it's no that heavy, but it's super effective.

First, Bes, use Dig to go underneath the island. Once there, tunnel your way underneath Coat, and use Power Trick. End with Explosion.

Dig (go under Coat)~Power Trick~Explosion

tee hee.

From the A&A Guide, under 10 kg means that the base power is 20. Super effective only makes it go up to 3%, but now that I remember that the damage is even less. Hm. Maybe I added wrong or something.

2v2 singles

Round 3

Chief Zackrai (OO)
Baltoy
Bes (X) <Levitate>
Energy: 91%
Commands: Dig (under Coat)~Power Trick~Explosion
- Awkwardly hovering. Speed -2.

In reserve:
Ani207MS.png

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Commands: Ice Fang/Substitute/Hail x3
- Looking at the shiny ice. +1 Attack, +1 Defense, +2 Special Defense, -1 Speed. Mud Bomb forgotten.

The trainers and referee regard the sparkling island with interest. If you squint, the island looks like a winter wonderland movie set; that is, if you ignore the giant tree, the ocean, and the fact that there’s no snow. Coat, at least, seems pleased with the frost and ice, rolling around in it happily.

The Swinub, despite being slowed, hops up before Bes, and looks even further confused by what his trainer had said. Coat opens and closes his mouth experimentally; sure enough, nothing in there is even remotely sharp enough to bite with. As he looks puzzled into the distance, Bes levitates over the island, the ice glinting in the sun. Suddenly, its arms become a whir as he drills into the ground, throwing sand into heaps. Where the Baltoy was seconds before now holds a gaping hole in the ground.

Coat is still perplexed by what “Ice Fang” meant, frowning and his eyebrows furrowed in thought. Underneath him, though, is Bes, its concentration focused into itself. The Baltoy exudes a multicolored light as it flips its mindset around, thinking offensively. When the glow fades, Bes’ paint has turned blue, and its featureless body seems somehow more powerful.

The Swinub, by now, has given up trying to puzzle out his commands, and with the Baltoy nowhere in sight, is playing excitedly in the slush of the island. The Baltoy below him, however, is once again glowing, but this time with a white light. Abruptly, he, well, explodes, blasting Coat off the ground, along with most of the island. As the sand settles, the Swinub falls down with a solid thud.

Chief Zackrai recalls Bes with a beam of red light, worried about its condition, while the Swinub appears to have gotten off luckier, a green light flickering out around him.

Chief Zackrai (XO)
Baltoy
Bes (X) <Levitate>
Health: 0%
Energy: 0%
Actions: Dig~Power Trick~Explosion
-Unconscious but still levitating. Knocked out.

In reserve:
Ani207MS.png

Cosmic Blueberry (OO)
Swinub
Coat (M) <Oblivious>
Health: 48% (capped)
Actions: Nothing~Nothing~Nothing
- Wondering why he didn’t hurt as much as it looked. +1 Attack, +1 Defense, +2 Special Defense, -1 Speed. Mud Bomb forgotten.

Arena Notes: There is a large crater covering most of the island.

Notes:
- I rushed most of this out today and yesterday, so.
- Funnily enough, Swinub doesn’t learn Ice Fang.
- Which is why this took so long; I was trying to decide whether it would make more sense to have Coat do nothing or use Substitute.
- …I think I really like to have things glow. That’s Power Trick, Grass Knot, and Explosion.
- Chief Zackrai (arbitrarily) sends out, Cosmic Blueberry attacks, and Chief Zackrai attacks.

Last edited:

Well Swinub have enough teeth to Bite. Oh and whatever, i won't argue with Gamefreak again.

I have a question for Whirlpool. Do Swinub actually get exp points even if it technically didn't KO Bes?

~~~

Okay, Swinub, I guess Bes is quite suicidal these days (Chief Zackrai, calm down, it's the second time you make Bes explode in like three days). However, it's quite working for us. Now it's time to take that thing down once and for all. Ice Shard all the time except if he has a Sub in which case you will Ice Beam.

Ice Shard/Ice Beam x 3

(well, hey, I was going downhill here anyways, and I needed to do some real damage to that pidgey, okay?)

This is a nice little, island that is entirely a beach, wouldn't you say, Ptah? start with Sandstorm. Then, go in there like a madman withBrick Break

Sandstorm~Brick Break~Brick Break

Back
Top Bottom