• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

ultraviolet vs. Zhorken

Phoenixsong

beep beep coming through
Pronoun
she/they/any
ultraviolet said:
4vs4 single
switch
DQ: seven days
Damage Cap: 50%
Banned Moves: OHKOs, weather-changing moves.
Arena: Floaroma Meadow

The gentleman who sells honey in Floaroma Town has ... somewhat reluctantly let two trainers borrow his meadow for a pokemon battle. The area is covered in a rainbow of flowers, and the faint humming of Combee at work can be heard. Sunny Day is in effect, shining over the multicoloured meadow, and it's a warm spring day.

Other: There is a 10% chance that a pokemon will sneeze from the pollen in the air; this counts as a Flinch and will prevent the pokemon from attacking for that action.

ultraviolet's Active Squad
ponyta.png

Deuce the Male Ponyta
Ability: Flash Fire
More info...
nidorina.png

Gwenfair the Female Nidorina
Ability: Poison Point
Item: Moon Stone
More info...
murkrow.png

Cro the Male Murkrow
Ability: Super Luck
Item: Dusk Stone
More info...
meowth.png

Mercy the Female Meowth
Ability: Technician
More info...
kecleon.png

Karma the Female Kecleon
Ability: Color Change
More info...
shuppet.png

Oubliette the Female Shuppet
Ability: Frisk
More info...
taillow.png

Morhst the Male Taillow
Ability: Guts
More info...
mawile.png

Button the Female Mawile
Ability: Hyper Cutter
More info...
mienfoo.png

Arabelle the Female Mienfoo
Ability: Regenerator
More info...
oshawott.png

Ottery St. Catchpole the Male Oshawott
Ability: Torrent
More info...

Zhorken's Active Squad
buneary.png

Enver the Male Buneary
Ability: Klutz
More info...
buizel.png

Keigh the Female Buizel
Ability: Swift Swim
More info...
trapinch.png

Zal the Female Trapinch
Ability: Arena Trap
More info...
shinx.png

Zylinth the Male Shinx
Ability: Intimidate
More info...
deerling.png

Vivaldeer the Female Deerling
Ability: Serene Grace
More info...

Zhorken sends out
ultraviolet sends out and attacks
Zhorken attacks
etc.

go go gadget Deuce!

Create a 15% substitute to begin, then use Toxic and end with Flamethrower. If Zylinth creates a substitute on his first action, switch Toxic to Flamethrower.

15% sub ~ Toxic/Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower

First, Roar! You're a teeny little cute thing to me but you've already got Intimidate going for you, so I'm guessing you're imposing enough for it to work! Plus, you're a lion and he's a pony. You probably couldn't roar in time to startle Deuce out of making his sub even if you tried, but that's okay; it's Toxic we want to prevent anyway.

Then, use Charge Beam twice and hope for a stat boost or two.

Roar ~ Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam

(EDIT: For the record this isn't the most cheap-ass move I mentioned in #tcod; the cheap thing would've been to switch to Zal. Who has Arena Trap, so you couldn't do the same thing. Buuuuut as I said, switching out straight off the bat to gain a type advantage seemed really cheap.)

Last edited:
ultraviolet vs. Zhorken, Round One

Pre-Round Stats

ultraviolet (4/4 Pokémon Remaining)

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Deuce's Commands: Substitute ~ Toxic/Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower

Zhorken (4/4 Pokémon Remaining)

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Status: Clearing his throat in preparation for a super-scary performance
Zylinth's Commands: Roar ~ Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam

The gentleman who sells honey in Floaroma Town has ... somewhat reluctantly let two trainers borrow his meadow for a pokemon battle. The area is covered in a rainbow of flowers, and the faint humming of Combee at work can be heard. Sunny Day is in effect, shining over the multicoloured meadow, and it's a warm spring day.

Other: There is a 10% chance that a pokemon will sneeze from the pollen in the air; this counts as a Flinch and will prevent the pokemon from attacking for that action.

Round One: Begin

It is a very, very good day to be a ponyta. There is nothing like enjoying the sunlight while trotting through a vast expanse of colorful flowers and getting near-drunk off of their heady aroma. Deuce kicks up his hind legs in a giddy hop-skip, momentarily forgetting the serious nature of a difficult battle and instead opting to lose himself in the wonderful day. He wonders idly if the shinx he sees emerging from a poké ball a short distance away will want to have himself a little pre-battle cavort as well. Why wouldn't he? It is a very, very good day for cavorting.

And perhaps it is, and perhaps Zylinth is tempted to go for a bit of a romp, but he tells himself that he must remain focused. It's battle time, not play time, and as a fierce and terrifying LION he must command respect from his opponent! He lets out a practice growl or two before taking a few purposeful strides in the general direction of Deuce's cavorting. A few deep breaths and Zylinth is properly in character, his face contorted into the most menacing leonine snarl he can imagine. I am a lion and this is my lion face, says his expression. It is a terrifying lion face. Are you terrified of my lion face yet? Yeah, I am pretty sure you are terrified. Of my terrifying lion face.

Deuce pauses in mid-skip and stares at the approaching Zylinth, confused. What... what is he doing? What is that face he's making? It's... a really really weird face. Deuce isn't sure whether Zylinth is angry or playing or perhaps a little constipated, but he does know that he finds it off-putting. It is very difficult to cavort with the appropriate amount of glee when your company is making such a distressing expression.

The obvious solution, then, is to invite more company to cavort and enjoy the weather and cancel out whatever's wrong with Mr. Grumpy Constipated Face over there. Deuce spins around and sets to work kicking at a patch of the pretty flowers with his hind legs, tearing them up and tossing them into a messy pile. His mane and tail are blazing with extra vigor when he turns back around and exhales a thin stream of fire, quickly engulfing the pile of flowers; the honey-seller lounging back near his house cries out, begging the ponyta not to set the field alight, but instead of spreading the flames rise up, twist around and contort themselves into the shape of a second horse. The rest of the field remains intact, and there are still plenty of flowers for Deuce to move through as he walks around to inspect his handiwork from all angles. Yes. More ponyta. It is a very good day for more ponyta, even if this one is more on fire and a hair less energetic than he is.

If the addition of a second happy pony in any way brightens Mr. Grumpy Constipated Face's day, however, it does not show. Before Deuce can begin instructing his flaming doppleganger in the art of cavorting, Zylinth charges forward from the depths of a clump of blue and yellow flowers while howling his little heart out. I AM A LION AND THIS IS MY LION ROAR, says his roar. I AM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE TERRIFIED OF MY LION ROAR. To the watching humans it comes out a little more like "raaAARRrarrarr~", but to Deuce, caught by surprise and already unnerved by the earlier face-making, it is in fact genuinely terrifying. He turns tail and bolts toward the honey-seller's house with his substitute following at a more sedate pace, eager to put as much distance between himself and the TERRIFYING LION as he can without deserting outright.

Zylinth quickly shuts his mouth and hurries after Deuce as fast as his legs will go, not wanting to lose sight of his frightened foe. His eyes flash and his legs crackle with accumulated electricity, and when he decides that he is close enough to where Deuce is cowering behind a golden-leaved tree he lets loose. A brilliant beam of electrical energy hisses through the air just in time for the substitute to show its first real signs of life and leap out in front of its creator. Its flames waver slightly as the charge beam hits it, but it stands strong; Zylinth scowls, feeling a little cheated, and has to content himself with watching a few stray sparks zip back and forth across his fur. Fiddlesticks. I mean, RAWR.

Emboldened by his substitute's noble actions, Deuce edges out from behind the thick trunk and moves just a tad closer to the TERRIFYING LION. Zylinth has really dampened his fabulous mood; it'll take quite a few sniffs at the pretty flowers to calm him back down again. In the meantime, though... in the meantime he is just going to have to fight back and show this LION who is boss! He spits another jet of flames, this time not at the substitute but at Zylinth himself, and much to the relief of the honey-seller aims cleanly enough to hit the shinx in the face without singeing any more flowers. Zylinth's resulting squeal is anything but terrifying, and it is with a considerably less terriconstipated face that he returns fire with a second charge beam. As before the blazing body double bounds to the rescue; Deuce's heart sinks when he sees the second attack take a much greater toll than the first one, nearly extinguishing his brave little friend and leaving it staggering and sputtering fitfully. Zylinth brightens up, pleased to see that the vexatious clone is almost finished and enjoying the residual tingle of his charge beams. He gives Deuce and the failing substitute his best attempt at another TERRIFYING LION face, and though that face is now pretty well scorched Deuce cannot help but feel uncomfortable and sad.

Poor Subby. Maybe it is not such a good day to be a ponyta.

Round One: Close

Post-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 85%
Energy: 86%

Deuce's Substitute: 3% health remaining

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 88%
Energy: 85%

Arena Status: Nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-Roar startled Deuce out of his second action.
-Both charge beams raised Zylinth's special attack.
-Usually I ref subsitute a little closer to the way it works in the games, but I always have trouble describing it so I'm trying it the way the attack guide says you're supposed to do it this way instead. You two get to be my guinea pigs.
-Zhorken attacks first next round.

First, take out the sub with another Charge Beam. If it misses, keep Charge Beaming until it hits.

Then, assuming it stays down, use Snarl twice. Gotta keep that fearsome lion image up.

But if Deuce puts another Substitute up, Thunderbolt it. If that's your second action, and that doesn't take it down, Charge Beam it. (If it does take it down, go ahead with Snarl.)

Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam/Snarl/Thunderbolt ~ Charge Beam/Snarl/Thunderbolt

Last edited:
Use Hypnosis until it works, then use Toxic and Will-o-Wisp.

Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Toxic ~ Hypnosis/Will-o-Wisp

ultraviolet vs. Zhorken, Round Two

Pre-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Energy: 86%
Deuce's Commands: Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Toxic ~ Hypnosis/Will-O-Wisp

Deuce's Substitute: 3% health remaining

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Energy: 85%
Zylinth's Commands: Charge Beam ~ Charge Beam/Snarl/Thunderbolt ~ Charge Beam/Snarl/Thunderbolt

Round Two: Begin

Subby, Deuce notes with some dismay, appears to be getting worse by the second. The substitute ponyta gutters and flickers dangerously as it tries to keep itself between the TERRIFYING LION and its creator. The poor thing could really use a break. Deuce edges a little further forward from his hiding place, doing his best to keep his eyes on Zylinth's frustrated snarl without balking. He tries to lock his gaze with that of the pacing, fidgeting shinx, but to no avail—Zylinth keeps moving, and it's still unnerving to stare at him for too long. Making the mental connection he needs to just isn't working.

Zylinth, meanwhile, has finally lost his patience with the failing sub. The air hisses as a third charge beam cuts through it and hits the phony pony square in its face. The attack is the straw that breaks the camel's back—Subby gives up the ghost entirely and collapses in a puff of smoke and burnt flowers, falling to the ground between the two battlers in a sad little heap. More residual electricity can be seen crackling around Zylinth's body as he resumes his pacing, now eager to get back to his real prey.

With Subby reduced to a useless, smoldering pile of ashes, there is now nothing between Deuce and his oh-so-intimidating aggressor. Nothing, that is, except one last desperate effort to stop Zylinth in his tracks and keep him from attacking. Deuce takes a deep breath and moves forward again, determined to keep his eyes locked with the shinx's at all costs. Zylinth stares back, fearless and confident and moving forward through the flowers with bold strides. After only a few steps, however, his movements become more sluggish. The shinx's eyelids droop and he stumbles, sleep induced by an onslaught of invisible, hypnotic waves quickly overtaking him. Within seconds he is on the ground and snoring gently, tail twitching as he continues stalking his skittish pony prey in his dreams.

For a few seconds Deuce remains motionless, not daring to believe his luck—there's no way the TERRIFYING LION would really let him off that easily. When half a minute elapses with no signs of stirring, however, Deuce relaxes and allows himself a deep breath. Time to turn this whole lion mess around, then! His mane and tail flare up with renewed energy and determination, the flames rapidly changing color from brilliant orange to an eerie, misty blue; he lets out a loud snort and a single, dancing blue flame floats away from the ponyta's face and across the field, wending an erratic, twisting path through the air in Zylinth's general direction. The flower petals the will-o-wisp passes over tremble slightly as it touches them. It passes one a little too closely as it closes in on Zylinth, and the flower in question goes up in a swirl of blue flame without it ever reaching the sleeping shinx. Deuce pouts as he watches the misguided wisp burn itself out and vanish. So much for that, then.

Round Two: Close

Post-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Energy: 74%
Status: Attack -1; frustrated, but glad to see that the TERRIFYING LION is out of commission for now

Deuce's Substitute: broken

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Energy: 78%
Status: Special Attack +3; Asleep (mild); ...rawr... I... I'm a... purrrrrrzzzzzz

Arena Status: Nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-Deuce's first hypnosis and will-o-wisp both missed.
-Charge beam raised Zylinth's special attack.
-Zylinth was unable to act after falling asleep.
-ultraviolet attacks first next round.

Use Snore as long as you're still asleep, but switch to Snarl if you wake up!

Snore/Snarl ~ Snore/Snarl ~ Snore/Snarl

ultraviolet vs. Zhorken, Round Three

Pre-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Energy: 74%
Status: Attack -1; frustrated, but glad to see that the TERRIFYING LION is out of commission for now
Deuce's Commands: Toxic ~ Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Energy: 78%
Status: Special Attack +3; Asleep (mild); ...rawr... I... I'm a... purrrrrrzzzzzz
Zylinth's Commands: Snore/Snarl ~ Snore/Snarl ~ Snore/Snarl

Round Three: Begin

There will be no more of this "missing" nonsense, Deuce thinks as he trots a little closer to his sleeping opponent. Hanging back and just hoping that a few lobbed fireballs will hit their mark is just silly—Zylinth is fast asleep, totally harmless and unable to do a damn thing about any ponyta that might happen to saunter up and spit a glob of noxious biochemicals all over his back. Even then he is quick to back up when his unpleasant work is done, his nerves still on edge as he resumes a position nearer his safety tree and watches. Zylinth twitches and grunts, his little face twisting into an expression of discomfort as the poison stings and sinks into his skin. At first that appears to be as much motion as Deuce will get out of him; the shinx shows no signs of waking anytime soon, and even his whimpers of unease give way to sleepy snores after a moment or two. But then the snores grow in volume, louder, louder, louder, until they reach the peak of their crescendo at a volume so high it almost sounds like yet another TERRIFYING LION ROAR. Deuce yelps and cringes, the sound grating painfully on his ears and sending him scurrying all the way back behind the safety tree.

Zylinth seems to be blissfully unaware of the effect his stentorian snores have on his opponent. Perhaps he isn't even aware that he's snoring at all. But he is, and he continues his vigorous log-sawing unabated while Deuce grimaces and laments the lack of fingers to stuff in his ears. There's just no concentrating on getting anything done while Zylinth is making that horrible sound.

The ponyta can only remain inactive for so long, however—Zylinth is still snoring heartily almost a minute later, and it looks like Deuce is going to have to put a stop to it himself. A deep breath and a quick mental pep-talk later and he is cantering across the flowers, stopping only a short distance from his unbearably noisy opponent. His mane and tail flare up again as more fire builds in his open mouth, finally shooting forward and engulfing the shinx with another flamethrower. Pained, angry yowls join in with the earlier snoring, raising a brand new terrible din that sends Deuce rushing back into hiding all over again. So looooud...

The combination of lingering pain and high volume of his own snoring finally jolts ths shinx into wakefulness, and his sleepy snorts come to an abrupt halt. Deuce is no longer in the immediate vicinity, already having rushed back to the shelter of his safety tree, and so for a moment Zylinth is puzzled as to the origin of the singed, crispy fur now covering his body. How... how does that even happen?

Round Three: Close

Post-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 58%
Energy: 63%

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 75%
Energy: 57%
Status: Special Attack +3; Poisoned (very severe: 1% this round, 2% next); pardon me, sir, but was I just on fire?

Arena Status: A circle of torched flowers and exposed, slightly crispy dirt surrounds Zylinth; otherwise, nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-fffff sorry for the delay. I really have no excuses for this. Ugh.
-The first snore caused Deuce to flinch, so he didn't act at the beginning of the second action.
-Flamethrower did enough damage to Zylinth to wake him up at the end of the round.
-Zhorken attacks first next round.

DQ warning for Zhorken. You've got 24 hours from this post to attack.

(C'mon, I know I took an unreasonably long time, but don't bail on me now ;-; this is fun)

RIGHT sorry about that. These past few days have been kind of stressful and I wasn't really paying attention.

Okay. Same plan, pretty much. Use Snarl three times, but start Snoring again if you fall back asleep. Also, if Deuce makes himself hard to hit or you can't vocalize for some reason, use Shock Wave.

Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave ~ Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave ~ Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave

you know what? I refuse to let you get pushed around by a titchy little cat that's essentially just a blue version of kimba the white lion; you're taller than him, at any rate, and it's about time we started to work to your strengths. You're a pony, right? And ponies like running. If there's anything that's going to shut him up it's a flaming stallion of death running towards him at lightning speed, so use Agility + Flame Charge. If you pull it off successfully and you're feeling pretty good about it, why not brag about it with a Swagger? If not, I guess you can huddle into a ball and throw some Swift at him, but that's just a fallback because you'll be able to pull it off anyway.

remember, you are a flaming stallion of death and essentially we've just been lulling him into a false sense of security these past few rounds! don't you just want to hit him in his smug cat face? :D? really, he's just been relying on his lame little facade and growling at you. look at 'im, with his widdle growly face! it's time to show him how the real men do it.

Flame Charge + Agility ~ Swagger/Swift

Last edited:
ultraviolet vs. Zhorken, Round Four

Pre-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 58%
Energy: 63%
Deuce's Commands: Flame Charge + Agility ~ Swagger/Swift

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 75%
Energy: 57%
Status: Special Attack +3; Poisoned (very severe: 1% this round, 2% next); pardon me, sir, but was I just on fire?
Zylinth's Commands: Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave ~ Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave ~ Snarl/Snore/Shock Wave

Round Four: Begin

Deuce casts a skeptical glance over his shoulder, not sure whether he really wants to believe his trainer when she claims there's nothing to be afraid of. Sure, it's easy for her to say that, standing all the way back there where there are no TERRIFYING LIONS making TERRIFYING LION SOUNDS at her. So what if he's taller than Zylinth? Does she not hear all of that roaring? It is very very unsettling and if she can't see that, well, that just doesn't make any sense. Humans are weird.

Still... he does have to admit that she's never steered him wrong before. It's reasonable enough to assume that she knows what she's talking about, at least in theory. He supposes he can try a little harder to be brave. Only because it's her. The ponyta takes a deep breath, paws the ground with a hoof and sends his mane and tail into overdrive, turning the flames up so hot that the golden leaves in the tree overhead dry and crinkle up ever so slightly. He lets out a wild whinny and runs forward as fast as he can, his mind yelling at him all the while that this is dumb and why is he getting so close to the LION dumb dumb dumb but now there's adrenaline rushing through him and his flames are burning even higher and he's hollering even louder and apparently Zylinth has no idea what to make of all this because he just sits there and stares and ends up half-trampled by the charging, screeching, blazing ponyta before he's entirely sure what just hit him.

Zylinth paws alternately at his face and tail, wincing each time he touches the sore spots where Deuce's hooves smashed into him. What was that he doesn't even—well, you know what, he tells himself, it doesn't even matter what it was. That was entirely too much sass from what was supposed to be a cowardly little pony, and we just can't have that, now, can we? The shinx takes just a second to shake more singed fur off of his body, then gives Deuce the lowest, nastiest snarl he can manage. The sound, while not as loud or fearsome as the genuine roaring from before, still sends a sharp chill down Deuce's spine and causes the ponyta to skid to a halt. The sound grates harshly on Deuce's ears and probably would have frozen his blood in his veins had it not been for the earlier surge of adrenaline and confidence; still, when he turns around to face Zylinth again he is almost as uncomfortable as he was when the round started.

But he has to be a man, ultraviolet says, be a man, dammit, and even though he really doesn't feel up to any manly swaggering he is going to try. Another deep breath puffs out the ponyta's chest as he screws his eyes shut (don't cry, don't cry, be a man) and takes a few shaky steps forward, repeating his man-mantra with each footfall until they start to come a little easier. He calls out to Zylinth with the most derisive tone he can muster—difficult with his voice shaking the way it is—and says that actually, just kidding, he's not really scared of him any longer. And also, also, he adds, cats are dumb and ugly, unlike horses which are awesome and smart and very beautiful, did he mention beautiful? Also he makes stupid faces when he's getting ready to make those totally not scary TERRIFYING LION NOISES he means STUPID DUMB CAT NOISES. STUPID STUPID DUMB.

The insults get progressively weaker as Deuce struggles to find hurtful things to say, but his confidence is rising again in spite of that—sure, the insults might be kind of dumb, but he is taking a stand and talking back and being a man, and that is all that matters! He can learn how to be a man who can trash-talk effectively later! Zylinth seems to understand the spirit of the swagger even with those rather childish digs, at least. The shinx's crispy fur is on end, his fangs are bared, his eyes are almost red with fury and he would probably have forgone TERRIFYING LION noises altogether in favor of tearing Deuce's throat out if his inability to see straight hadn't caused him to trip over himself and plow face-first into a rock concealed beneath the colorful wildflowers.

That tears it, Zylinth thinks as he picks himself up and snorts soil and flower stems out of his sore nose, that freaking tears it. Where does that jerk Deuce get off running him over and spouting horrible lies about cats and now laughing at him when he trips and hurts himself? He lets out another snarl, long and low and dripping fury and a barely-restrained urge to have a ponyta snack right now. The sound does definitely give Deuce pause, and a careful eye would be able to see him shudder when the snarl hit his ears, but this time there is no all-out panic. Zylinth hisses and tears at the nearby flowers in frustration (why won't he break anymore dammit dammit dammit arrrgh), and Deuce ventures a tentative smile. Maybe... maybe there isn't so much to be afraid of after all? He's still sore and his ears are ringing, but... well... his trainer might just have had a point. Maybe.

Round Four: Close

Post-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 33%
Energy: 53%
Status: Special Attack -2, Speed +3; so... so what if you're loud, huh? You're... not that scary... sort of... owww...

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 55%
Energy: 34%
Status: Attack+2, Special Attack +3; Confused (mild), Poisoned (very severe: 2% this round, 3% next); hissing, spitting and snarling at nothing in particular

Arena Status: A circle of torched flowers and exposed, slightly crispy dirt surrounds Zylinth; otherwise, nothing has changed.

Ref's Notes
-The increased momentum from agility added 3% to the combo's total damage.
-The first snarl was a critical hit.
-Zylinth was fully confused and hurt himself on the second action.
-The critical snarl probably would have undermined any efforts to improve Deuce's self-esteem, but by the time Zylinth finished staggering around he was at least feeling good enough to regain his lost attack.
-ultraviolet attacks first next round.

Use Fire Spin to trap him; if he protects, use Morning Sun and try it next action. If you've already used Fire Spin, use Morning sun, and if you've already used Morning Sun, use Solarbeam.

Fire Spin/Morning Sun ~ Fire Spin/Morning Sun/Solarbeam ~ Fire Spin/Morning Sun/Solarbeam

Last edited:
Right, so, Fire Spin, if I'm reading my Attacks and Abilities Guide right, isn't necessarily a totally tight trapping move. And Deuce has double-lowered special attack—since you're so fierce—so I'm going to bet that you can break out of it. Since you're so fierce.

So focus! We can get that damn thing. First, fire a Thunderbolt at him from inside the no-doubt-measly Fire Spin. Then combine Quick Attack and Wild Charge to dash out and ram Deuce before he can start photosynthesizing or whatever, with just enough extra power to hopefully knock off the little bit of health Deuce would likely have left after a regular Wild Charge. That might take a lot of energy and will probably hurt a little but you're a lion you can do it this is your big finale and you will look totally badass if you pull it off!

Thunderbolt ~ Quick Attack + Wild Charge

Last edited:
ultraviolet vs. Zhorken, Round Five

Pre-Round Stats

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 33%
Energy: 53%
Status: Special Attack -2, Speed +3; so... so what if you're loud, huh? You're... not that scary... sort of... owww...
Deuce's Commands: Fire Spin/Morning Sun ~ Fire Spin/Morning Sun/Solarbeam ~ Fire Spin/Morning Sun/Solarbeam

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 55%
Energy: 34%
Status: Attack+2, Special Attack +3; Confused (mild), Poisoned (very severe: 2% last round, 3% this); hissing, spitting and snarling at nothing in particular
Zylinth's Commands: Thunderbolt ~ Quick Attack + Wild Charge

Round Five: Begin

His confidence soar—well, no, not quite soaring, but a far cry from the weak-kneed whimpering he'd been doing until recently, Deuce braces himself and takes another deep breath, mane and tail blazing a little higher as his lungs fill with air. Taking a stand against Zylinth has made him feel just a little bit braver; just imagine how brave he'll feel when the stupid dumb cat is trapped behind a giant tornado of fire. A stream of flames flies from the ponyta's mouth as he exhales, quickly twisting in on itself and growing into a towering funnel that, much to the honey seller's dismay, lurches forward and across the field, reducing hundreds of flowers to charred ash as it spins and contorts. Zylinth has no time to move out of the way before the fire spin collides with and consumes him, burning his fur and skin before trapping him in its eye and licking him cruelly with whirling tongues of flame.

Deuce's celebratory cavorting grinds to a halt in short order, however. Far from trapped and helpless, the shinx shuts out the torment of the constant singeing and the ringing in his ears and letting fly with a mighty thunderbolt that passes cleanly through the walls of the fire spin as though it weren't there. Deuce yelps and shudders, electricity surging through his body and dropping him to his knees mid-skip.

The ponyta groans and lifts his head, gears whirring madly in his head as he tries to puzzle out how that happened. Wasn't Zylinth supposed to be trapped? In fire? How do you hurt someone when you are all the way over there trapped in fire? He gets shakily to his feet, trying his hardest to take the blow in stride instead of panic.

There is just barely enough time for his eyes to go wide with terror when, with a terrible howl, Zylinth throws himself forward and leaps right out of the blazing fire spin without a care in the world for the way it burns when he passes through the flames. The last thing Deuce sees is the shinx growing larger and larger as he hurtles through the air, body glowing yellow with all of the unrestrained electrical energy arcing and flying around him with abandon, and then Zylinth slams into his chest with such force that the pain scarely has a chance to register before everything goes dark.

Deuce hits the ground like a sack of bricks and Zylinth sprawls on top of him, winded, stunned and with what's left of his fur still smoking in the aftermath of his fiery acrobatics. His head is still swimming a little bit and it's hard to focus on what just happened, even with the chance to vent his anger cooling his temper a little bit. What he does know, however, is that the ponyta beneath him is not moving any longer, and that he is once again the top TERRIFYING... terrifying... well. He's too tired and muddled to remember exactly what he is right now, but he's sure that it'll come to him soon enough. All that matters is that whatever he is, he is most assuredly and without a doubt TERRIFYING and that is the end of the discussion.

Round Five: Close

Post-Round Stats

ultraviolet (3/4 Pokémon Remaining)

Ponyta
Deuce (M) [Flash Fire]
Health: 0%
Energy: 51%

Shinx
Zylinth (M) [Intimidate]
Health: 42%
Energy: 10%
Status: Attack+2, Special Attack +3; Confused (light), Poisoned (very severe: 3% this round, 4% next); I'M A TERRIFYING... SEALION... or something... wow I'm tired.

Arena Status: The fire spin has cut a fiery swath through the flowers between where the battlers once stood, leaving only charred earth in its wake. The honey seller can just barely be heard weeping over by his house.

Ref's Notes
-i am the best ref, its me. Not even a full three freaking actions my god Kratos what's wrong with you
-Deuce fainted on the second action.
-The wild charge + quick attack combo did 27% damage (for 7% recoil), cost 14% energy and had +1 priority. If that wasn't bad enough, had Deuce survived that the arena effect finally would've kicked in and caused him to flinch.
-ultraviolet sends out and then Zhorken attacks first next round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom