• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Darksong vs. Mad MOAI

Aletheia

King Koopa
3vs3 single
Style: Set
DQ: Standard week
Damage Cap: 30%
Banned Moves: Direct healing, 2 energy/health restoring moves per Pokémon, OHKO's; other than that, anything goes. (Yes, I made an effort to make that rhyme.)
Arena: Abandoned Iron Quarry
This battle takes place in a deep quarry that was once mined, but all the people from the town nearby left due to a fire nearby. There is no mining equipment remaining, but evidence of digging can be seen, and if one looks closely, he or she could see that there is still a lot of ore in the walls of the quarry. This battle takes place at the deeper end of the quarry, where the walls extend at least thirty feet above one's head as he or she stands at the deepest part, and the largest amount iron ore is left in the quarry. The bottom of the quarry is somewhat sandy, and it's possible to dig a few feet down. There are many boulders scattered about in the quarry -- perfect for Rock-type attacks. But in addition, the iron ore in the walls can also be used as a substitute for rocks, making a move that uses rocks Steel-type instead.
Other: None.

Darksong's Active Squad

venipede
Pandora (♀)
Ability: Poison Point

piplup
Prince (♂)
Ability: Torrent

aerodactyl
Sunaero (♀)
Ability: Pressure

cubone
Echo (♀)
Ability: Lightningrod

glameow
Rosie (♀)
Ability: Limber

zangoose
Ling (♂)
Ability: Immunity

Mad MOAI's Active Squad
weavile
Lust (♀)
Ability: Pressure

plusle
Maria Ross (♀)
Ability: Plus

exeggcute
Nyasha (♀)
Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Leaf Stone

nosepass
Luminas (♂)
Ability: Magnet Pull

onix
Drill Grip (♀)
Ability: Rock Head

volbeat
Solas (♂)
Ability: Swarm

horsea
Ohoshihire (♂)
Ability: Sniper

squirtle
Dragon Spin (♂)
Ability: Torrent

rhyhorn
Lioness (♀)
Ability: Rock Head

ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Ability: Big Pecks

Well, that's that then. According to the Great RNG Gods, MOAI sends out first, then Darksong sends out and commands, and so on.

Alas, I have a question. The challenge states
Banned Moves: Direct healing, 2 moves per Pokémon
is that supposed to be 2 chills per poke or is each pokemon only allowed to use two moves?

Last edited:
Oops, grammar fail. xD It means that each pokemon only gets two direct healing moves, which includes chilling.

And since that question has been answered, I decided that I will send out little guardian Tan-yu. Hehe.

Let's have some fun with this. I'll start out with Rosie!
(Oh, and I apologize if this is early and you need confirmation, SomeGuy; that convenient little thing on the bottom of the page that tells you who's viewed the thread and when they last did so isn't there as it was on the older version of the forums.)

So, um... begin with Attract, just to be evil... Then use Fake Tears, and finish off with a.... Thunderbolt! If your opponent Protects, use Hone Claws instead. And maybe Protect as well if he tries to Attract you in turn.

Attract/Hone Claws/Protect ~ Fake Tears/Hone Claws/Protect ~ Thunderbolt/Hone Claws/Protect

Just Scald first. Then FeatherDance, and then Scald again - unless Rosie got burned the first time, in which case I want you to use Water Pulse.

Scald ~ FeatherDance ~ Scald / Water Pulse

Abandoned Iron Quarry
This battle takes place in a deep quarry that was once mined, but all the people from the town nearby left due to a fire nearby. There is no mining equipment remaining, but evidence of digging can be seen, and if one looks closely, he or she could see that there is still a lot of ore in the walls of the quarry. This battle takes place at the deeper end of the quarry, where the walls extend at least thirty feet above one's head as he or she stands at the deepest part, and the largest amount iron ore is left in the quarry. The bottom of the quarry is somewhat sandy, and it's possible to dig a few feet down. There are many boulders scattered about in the quarry -- perfect for Rock-type attacks. But in addition, the iron ore in the walls can also be used as a substitute for rocks, making a move that uses rocks Steel-type instead.

BATTLE START!
Though its seen better days, this quarry will soon be alive again with the commotion that only a pokémon battle between two trainers could possibly cause. These two trainers, Mad MOAI and Darksong, are accompanied by a referee and have selected their first pokémon. MOAI has sent out a ducklett, to which Darksong has responded with a glameow. SomeGuy has replaced his whistle with a flag so as not to disturb the mine's ceiling, and now raises said flag sharply, signaling the beginning of the first round.

ROUND 1 START!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Attract/Hone Claws/Protect ~ Fake Tears/Hone Claws/Protect ~ Thunderbolt/Hone Claws/Protect

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Scald ~ FeatherDance ~ Scald/Water Pulse

Rosie sighs. She has to schmooze a duckling? Well, it'll definitely help her win this thing, but still... prancing forward towards Tan-yu, she bats her eyelashes and purrs at him while he tries his best to ignore her. He's caught off guard, however, when she brings her head closer to him and begins rubbing up against him. He knows this is supposed to be a battle, but maybe this cat doesn't want to fight; the ducklett sure hopes so. Tan-yu looks down as he realizes he has to hurt the sweet glameow. Maybe he'll have time to apologize to her after the fight. The ducklett spits a boiling stream of water at Rosie, trying not to hit her face. In response, she shrieks; that's not how things are supposed to go!

Though annoyed at her failed attempt to distract Tan-yu, Rosie stays where she is. Time for some more manipulation. Uncertainly, the ducklett approaches her; had he actually hurt her? The glameow begins to wail and sob loudly, and suddenly Tan-yu feels so torn up inside. Maybe he can cheer her up with a little dance. The ducklett spreads his wings, rises up into the air and puts on his best show, encircling Rosie and occasionally swooping lower, all the while raining downy feathers on her. The cat knows she should resist, but... the feathers are so nice and soft...

Rosie shudders in anger at herself. Now she's falling for Tan-yu's tricks! Shaking the feathers off, a yellow glow engulfs her and transforms into a great electric wave that hits the ducklett, who is very glad to have just landed. Maybe, just maybe, the glameow isn't quite as nice as he thought. As he prepares to launch another jet of scalding water, however, Tyan-yu catches a glimpse of Rosie standing there with the most strangely appealing look of confidence on her face, surrounded by feathers and- though this may be the thunder messing with him- sparkles in her eyes. How could he harm such an alluring image?

ROUND 1 END!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 90%
Energy: 87%
Commands: Attract ~ Fake Tears ~ Thunderbolt

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 81%
Energy: 90%
Status: “...so pretty~” attracted (moderate; 25% chance to disregard commands), -2 special defense
Commands: Scald ~ FeatherDance ~ Scald (infatuated)

Ref notes:

• Rosie's Thunderbolt caused Tan-yu's attraction to decrease in severity
  • Speaking of which, Attract and its effects are fun to ref
  • Darksong commands next

Last edited:
I think Fake Tears lowers Special Defense, not Special Attack.
Anyway. Hmm... not a bad start. I wasn't really expecting this, not after my last two ASB battles. We might be able to do this, Rosie. What should we do next...? I think the Thunderbolt works quite well. But first use Captivate, so maybe that thing won't be as inclined to Scald. Then perhaps use Round, since it echoes in here... and finish off with another Thunderbolt. If the enemy Protects, default to Hone Claws.

Captivate/Hone Claws ~ Round/Hone Claws ~ Thunderbolt/Hone Claws

Okay, fine, if she's lowering Special Attack, then we'll use physical attacks. If it's true that this place has a ceiling, though, Fly wouldn't be all that much of a good idea. Instead, go for Aerial Ace first. Then, um... Steel Wing. Then I guess Aerial Ace again.

Aerial Ace ~ Steel Wing ~ Aerial Ace

Abandoned Iron Quarry

ROUND 2 START!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 90%
Energy: 87%
Commands:
Captivate/Hone Claws ~ Round/Hone Claws ~ Thunderbolt/Hone Claws

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 81%
Energy: 90%
Status: “...so pretty~” attracted (moderate; 25% chance to disregard commands), -2 special defense
Commands: Fake Out/Swords Dance ~ Swords Dance/Stone Edge/Acrobatics ~ Stone Edge/Dig (stay underground)

Another round is starting- and Rosie is about to do what she does best, though she doesn't like it. She prances up to Tan-yu and, with the most elegant tone she can muster, apologizes for the earlier Thunderbolt. After all, she couldn't just ignore her trainer's commands, but she had lowered the voltage and even waited until he had finished his oh so charming dance. At this the ducklett smiled; she had liked his dance! Maybe there were some other moves he could show off. And so, he flew up as high as he could, then charged forward as fast as his wings would carry him... then rammed right into Rosie as he swooped down. Oops.

Rosie growled in anger as she got up. Why was he so slippery? One moment he was lost in her appearance, the next he was charging at her at full speed. Maybe she should just focus on hitting the damn bird. Then she remembers the echo that had fascinated her earlier. Well, it might not make her attack stronger, but at least it would sound nice. The glameow begins to sing a rousing battle song- well, rousing to her; Tan-yu is much less thrilled by her sudden aggressive turn. In fact, he just wishes the singing would stop, and the fact that the quarry is causing the sound to reverberate isn't helping. In his desperation, the ducklett's wings gain a metallic glow and strength to match. Then he zooms towards the source of all the commotion and strikes Rosie.

She, however, is barely even fazed by the attack- nay, even fueled by it! If Tan-yu wants to fight, she's all too eager to oblige. That thunder she had tossed at him earlier looked quite painful... and without even waiting for the bird to land, the glameow launches another bolt of electricity at her enemy. Shocked, both literally and emotionally, her target crashes into the rocky ground. Hadn't she promised not to do that? Didn't she... have feelings for him? But of course, he realizes, she had lied to him; in the end this was nothing more than a battle, and he had been a fool to ever believe differently. Well, he can't let Rosie down, can he? Once more, the ducklett flies towards the glameow, but this time with clear intent to harm- and he does, knocking her over. Rosie is satisfied by this; now they understand each other.

ROUND 2 END!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 69%
Energy: 73%
Commands:
Captivate ~ Round ~ Thunderbolt

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 51% (capped)
Energy: 78%
Status: “I THOUGHT YOU LIKED ME >:O" attracted (light, 6% chance to disregard commands), -2 special defense, -2 special attack
Commands: Aerial Ace ~ Steel Wing ~ Aerial Ace

Ref notes:

• Round can not have its power doubled by the arena. Sorry, Darksong.
  • Both Round and Thunderbolt lowered the severity of Tan-yu's attraction
  • Sorry for the delay, you guys. I had to confirm whether Round could have its power boosted by the arena. The fact that I accidentally deleted the whole reffing after I was done with it didn't help either :P
  • MOAI commands next

Last edited:
Well, go ahead and Frustration first. That Glameow was faking it, after all! Following that, Roost, and when you're done do another Steel Wing.

Frustration ~ Roost ~ Steel Wing

It's okay; I wasn't going for doubled damage. I just wanted to see what Round would do.
And I've never hit the damage cap before, so that was kind of neat...

So first, Rosie, I'd like you to use that Thunderbolt again. Then, white Tan-yu is Roosting, use Work Up yourself. Then go for a Sucker Punch.

Thunderbolt ~ Work Up ~ Sucker Punch

Abandoned Iron Quarry

ROUND 3 START!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 69%
Energy: 73%
Commands: Thunderbolt ~ Work Up ~ Sucker Punch

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 51% (capped)
Energy: 78%
Status: “I THOUGHT YOU LIKED ME >:O" -2 special defense, -2 special attack
Commands: Frustration ~ Roost ~ Steel Wing

Rosie smiles confidently to herself as the next round commences. She's finally able to focus solely on absolutely destroying her opponent, rather than that stupid lovey-dovey stuff she really didn't enjoy- especially considering her target is a duck. The glameow forms an arc of concentrated electric charge in her paws and launches it at Tan-yu, who takes the hit with stone cold determination. Even though the poor bird is hurting all over, he sure isn't going to show any emotion towards this creature. Never again. The very thought causes memories of Rosie's advances to come rushing back- and with them his bewildered anger. The need to set it free was more urgent than ever, and he knew just how to share it with his favorite glameow. The ducklett leaps forward and does his best to scratch Rosie up. It isn't exactly easy for a fluffy little thing like him, but she definitely feels his rage.

Rosie, meanwhile, just lets the flow through her. Ever since she's revealed her falsehood and been able to give the fight her all, she's had an urge to just sink her claws into that dumb bird. Her trainer almost doesn't need to tell her to get worked up as she begins sharpening her claws against the nearest rock. She's felt his hatred, now it's time to return the favor. Little does she know that Tan-yu now feels quite a lot better now- at least emotionally. Having purged himself, his fatigue hits him quite unpleasantly, and the thunder is starting to actually hurt. Well, he's sure he'll feel a lot better if he takes a little break. He rests his wings and closes his eyes; it'd almost be perfect if there just was more wind and there wasn't a glameow that wanted him dead.

With that thought in mind, he prepares to go back on the offense again. Rosie won't have any of it, though, as she realizes what he's about to do- and besides, he deserves a few good swipes; now his fur is all straight again and she's pretty sure he can't feel her thunderbolts. Then she sees his wings gain a metallic glow- how can she give him the satisfaction of hitting first? Just as the ducklett is about to charge her, she jumps at him and rams her head into Tan-yu, knocking him to the floor. Though the blow has shaken him, he doesn't mind it that much; at least his current predicament is a lot better than it was at the beginning of the round. Still, that glameow is getting more and more vicious. Maybe he can knock the bravado right out of her with some steel. His wings regain their unnatural hue and strength, and he strikes Rosie with them, though not with as much force as he'd like; the earlier claw-sharpening incident is still on his mind.

ROUND 3 END!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 54%
Energy: 58%
Commands: Thunderbolt ~ Work Up ~ Sucker Punch

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 72%
Energy: 45%
Status: “I... don't want to." -2 special defense, -2 special attack
Commands: Frustration ~ Roost ~ Steel Wing

Ref notes:

• Tan-yu is allowed one more direct health/energy restoring move
  • Darksong commands next

Last edited:
Let's see, only direct healing moves are limited, so perhaps I can play around a little. Rosie, maybe begin with Hypnosis, and use that until it works. After you manage to get it to work, use Dream Eater to restore your health indirectly. If the enemy wakes up, switch to Thunderbolt.

Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater (health)~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater (health)/Thunderbolt

Sleep, huh? If you're still awake after the first Hypnosis, use Mirror move, but if you're asleep, then... sleep. If you're still awake on the second turn somehow and Rosie is too, use Mirror Move again, but if she's asleep use Aqua Ring. Then use Aerial Ace.

Mirror Move ~ Mirror Move/Aqua Ring ~ Aerial Ace

Abandoned Iron Quarry

ROUND 4 START!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 54%
Energy: 58%
Commands: Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater ~ Hypnosis/Dream Eater/Thunderbolt

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 72%
Status: “I... don't want to." -2 special defense, -2 special attack
Commands: Mirror Move ~ Mirror Move/Aqua Ring ~ Aerial Ace

Though she'd never admit it to her trainer, Rosie's relentless fury is starting to drain her a little. Perhaps she should approach this situation a little differently. A red hue glazes over her eyes and she stares at Tan-yu. She's finding focusing on him a bit difficult, however, and the ducklett is no fool either, turning away to protect himself. Hypnosis, huh? He hasn't really been feeling creative lately, and the prospect of a sleeping foe is rather appealing- might as well copy the maneuver. His eyes gain a red glow, just as Rosie's did before, and he attempts to glare at her. He's finding the move a bit difficult to execute, though- oh, how he wishes he wasn't so tired!

The glameow, meanwhile, isn't going to give up until Tan-yu sleeps. Her eyes glow again, stronger now, and she determinedly gazes into the already-tired ducklett's visage. He tries to shield himself, to hide that unnerving stare, but it continues to draw him in... the need to rest is painfully strong, and he can't resist it any longer- the bird closes his eyes and rests his wings.

Rosie purrs in satisfaction. Now she could get back to the real battle, though maybe she should take it a little easier, just in case. Now that the ducklett is sleeping, she can heal herself a little. Her eyes glow once more, though this time the hue is distinctly pink, and through the conduit she creates, she begins to feast on Tan-yu's dreams, shivering at the... exquisite taste. The aforementioned bird is having a rather pleasant vision of Rosie, who, in a strange twist, does not in fact want to destroy him with thunderbolts.To his dismay, he is interrupted by a sudden distortion, and an inexplicable feeling of dread fills him as all before him seems to wash away. Something tells him he needs to wake up- and he does, eyelids fluttering open in shock.

ROUND 4 END!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 62%
Blegh.-1 attack, +1 special attack
Commands: Hypnosis (missed) ~ Hypnosis ~ Dream Eater (critical hit)

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 56%
Energy: 40%
Status: “Who what where?" -2 special defense, -2 special attack
Commands: Mirror Move (Hypnosis, missed) ~ Mirror Move (asleep) ~ Aerial Ace (asleep)

Ref notes:

• I started Tan-yu's sleep off at mild severity due to Hypnosis having failed previously; Dream Eater caused it to decrease in severity and by the end of the round it had faded completely
  • That... was a lot of staring
  • MOAI commands next

Last edited:
Hmm.. I guess just try Steel Wing one more time, then uh, Aqua Ring, and then Aerial Ace again. But if Rosie tries to use Thunderbolt again, use Me First.

Steel Wing / Me First ~ Aqua Ring / Me First ~ Aerial Ace / Me First

Okay then. We don't have much energy, but we can fix that later. First, use Work Up again. Then use Fake Out to see if you can get that duck to flinch instead of using Aqua Ring. And finally, use Slash.

Work Up ~ Fake Out ~ Slash

Abandoned Iron Quarry

ROUND 5 START!
Darksong:
Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 62%
Blegh.-1 attack, +1 special attack
Commands: Work Up ~ Fake Out ~ Slash

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 56%
Energy: 40%
Status: “Who what where?" -2 special defense, -2 special attack Commands: Steel Wing/Me First ~ Aqua Ring/Me First ~ Aerial Ace/Me First

Rosie eyes the disoriented ducklett angrily. In typical Tan-yu fashion, he's gone off and messed up her strategy. She's quite sure she hates that little bird, and begins sharpening her claws again, in anticipation of the next moment she can strike. The ducklett has meanwhile regained his senses somewhat; realizing he's in a battle, he prepares his wings for another assault as they gain a familiar steel-like hue. Just once more, and then he can get to fixing himself up. Halfheartedly, he charges Rosie and crashes into her with his wings.

The glameow rights herself and whines a little at her ruffled fur. At least her next trick would annoy her foe just as much. She leaps at him and claps her paws together, creating a shockwave that literally blows Tan-yu away. He grunts in frustration, suddenly unable to make that watery shield he'd really appreciate right now- his body just doesn't want to cooperate.

Rosie purrs again in utter satisfaction; she's got him right where she wants him. Now to put those sharpened claws to good use. The feline springs at the ducklett and lashes out with her claws, cutting into his flesh. The bird yelps in response and separates himself from his aggressor... then swoops up into the air and begins his counterattack. With renewed determination, he charges at his opponent and rams into her. He's had just about enough of her shenanigans.

ROUND 5 END!
Darksong:

Ooo
glameow
Rosie (♀)
Health: 48%
Energy: 34%
+2 special attack
Commands: Work Up ~ Fake Out ~ Slash

Mad MOAI:
Ooo
ducklett
Tan-yu (♂)
Health: 39%
Energy: 32%
Commands: Steel Wing ~ Aqua Ring (flinched) ~ Aerial Ace

Ref notes:

• ...and I passed the DQ time. Sigh. Honestly hope that won't happen again.
  • Darksong commands next

Wow, we're pretty even now, hmm? Didn't expect this to happen. Perhaps I should stop going easy. Rosie, what I want you to do is Thunderbolt that bird into oblivion... but only twice. On the last turn, Chill. If on the first or second action Tan-yu protects, then you can go ahead and use Work Up instead.

Thunderbolt/Work Up ~ Thunderbolt/Work Up ~ Chill

Ow, Thunderbolt. Not good. That won't make you happy... So, use Frustration! Then do it Then go ahead and Aqua Ring, and then Facade in case you get paralyzed.

Frustration ~ Aqua Ring ~ Facade

Back
Top Bottom