• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Alvyren vs Cypher

Zhorken

groove out!
Pronoun
they or she
3-vs-3 Single Battle
Style: Set
DQ: 7 days
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: One-hit KOs, chills, direct healing, evasion/accuracy modifiers
Arena: White City Stadium

White City is located on an island not terribly far from Johto; Olivine runs a ferry to and fro twice a day. The centerpiece of the popular tourist destination is the huge stadium situated between the amusement park and GB Tower where tournaments are held almost daily. It's Poké Cup season and brand new Trainers are itching to join the league fray. The stadium is a very neutral turf, with a neatly-trimmed grass surface and a clay platform in the middle shaped like a Poké Ball. Glass panels are raised high around the perimeter of the battling grounds to protect the audience of well over 10.000 without obscuring their vision -- damaging these panels will incur a disqualification penalty for the offending Pokémon. Fortunately, they're highly reinforced and it would take a very significant impact to even make a scratch.

Other notes: Held items, Pokémon modifications, and unofficial Pokémon are not permitted. A newer player would be preferred as this is my first battle in years (and things have changed a lot since). Zhorken will be reffing.

Alvyren's active squad:
Mudkip Tallgeese the female Mudkip <Torrent>
Mienfoo Shenlong the female Mienfoo <Inner Focus>
Vulpix Ashura the female Vulpix <Flash Fire>

Cypher's active squad:
Snivy Esther the male Snivy <Overgrow>
Vulpix Sirius the female Vulpix <Flash Fire>
Snivy Plevel the female Snivy <Contrary>
Chinchou Guide the male Chinchou <Volt Absorb>

Alvyren sends out first; then Cypher sends out and issues commands; then Alvyren issues commands.

EDIT: Oh, for the record, are attacks with accuracy- or evasion-related secondary effects banned outright, or do they lose their secondary effects? -- just the effects; i.e. Mud Slap is still usable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be leading off with Plevel, my female Snivy (yes, I'm sure you've seen I have two).

If a Pokemon has Fake Out, they'll probably use it. Protect if Fake Out is commanded. Use Toxic if they lead off with a stat-raising move. Otherwise, use Leaf Storm.

Leaf Storm for the second action, unless Yue didn't use a stat-raising move in the first action, in which case use Toxic.

On the third action, finish off with Leaf Storm, unless they decided to use a stat-raising move on the third action. In the case that they did, finish off with Sunny Day.

Protect/Toxic/Leaf Storm ~ Leaf Storm/Toxic ~ Leaf Storm/Sunny Day

Alright, Shenlong, time to rock and roll.

Pipsqueak--I mean, Plevel over there is in a defensive pose, just waiting for your Fake Out attack. Let's play along with that and dive in close, but instead Feint through Plevel's Protect.

We'll also address Plevel's contrary nature by using Swagger, just in case Plevel had any clever ideas about striking physically.

While Plevel is teetering about mystified, I think it would be an excellent opportunity to knock her around a bit. Slam her hard with a good Force Palm.

Feint ~ Swagger ~ Force Palm

Last edited:
FUUUU....

I was expecting Feint, but was unaware that you could fake a move... I'll have to remember that.

I forgot to take off Protect becUse I found that both Fake Out and Protect had +3 Priority, and Mienfoo had a higher base speed. My mistake, whatever.

Protect has +4 priority. Moot point though.

EDIT: It's got +3 priority according to the Guide, I guess, but then Fake Out has +1 priority.

I was actually going by Bulbapedia, but considering the league here lists the priority...

It's fine. According to Bulbapedia, both of +3 Priority (but I probably read it wrong, I'm rather tired).

He's got it mostly written, I think, and he'll definitely be done by today. Relatedly, I'm leaving on a trip in a day or so until next Wednesday, so I'll be out for awhile after my next post. (I'm not sure if where I'm going has internet.)

Also as an aside to both you and Zhorken, I renamed my team.

Last edited:
Round One

Alvyren (3/3)
Shenlong
Mienfoo
Ability: Inner Focus
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Feint ~ Swagger ~ Force Palm

Cypher (3/3)
Plevel
Snivy
Ability: Contrary
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Protect/Toxic/Leaf Storm ~ Leaf Storm/Toxic ~ Leaf Storm/Sunny Day

-------------------------------------​

Pokémon fans line the Little Cup arena, the roar of their cheers carrying throughout the arena unhindered by the nigh-indestructible transparent safety panels. They do nothing to dampen sound, after all; the audience needs to be able to hear the battle! Little Cup battles don't usually spark so much interest, but there are always a lot of people milling about, waiting around for bigger battles during Poké Cup season. With so many people with time on their hands, word spread that today's battle would feature trainers from the renowned region of Asber with some rare Pokémon from Unova on their teams—both rare sights around White City—and people rushed to fill the stands. (You could say it's standing room only up there.)

Leading the blue team today is Alvyren, and judging by her grin, she's not worried at all about living up to all the applause Shenlong the Mienfoo is getting in her first battle back. Shenlong looks just as smug herself at first glance, cartwheeling around and walking on her hands and generally looking like a show-off. But the truth is quite different: she's trying to tune out the expectant sea of spectators, and working in some warm-up exercises in the process. And it's working; her mood and muscles both are loosening up wonderfully. Not that she expected anything less. She's always good at keeping herself collected.

And on the green team are Plevel the Snivy and her trainer Cypher. The wide-eyed Snivy garners just as much cheering for being an iconic Unovan Pokémon as Shenlong did for being a foreign curiosity. The attention is a little overwhelming, but definitely exciting. She stares at the stands as if caught in their headlights. So this is what it's like in the spotlight! Well, she doesn't get a spotlight, but someday, someday she will. And the colourful arena around her with its colourful blocks around the sides makes for a stage more than suitable for her debut. Even if the egg motif is kind of weird. As she waves around at her adoring audience, she senses that half the attention is still on Shenlong. And that's okay! Plevel doesn't mind sharing the ring. She doesn't have to get jealous, as she reminds herself; it just means she needs to be twice as awesome as her competition, which she can definitely do.

At the ref's signal to begin, Shenlong immediately dives towards Plevel, who moulds a glassy shield of energy around herself just as quickly. That is Fake Out Plevel's seeing, right? Yeah, must be. It sure looks like it, and she definitely heard Fake Out, so nothing to worry about, right? Shenlong throws her claws at Plevel's eyes, and though they bounce off the barrier, Plevel panics and lurches backward. The barrier wavers, and Shenlong strikes again, breaking through and decking Plevel square in her pointy nose. The crowd erupts with laughter, and Plevel reflexively buries her face in her hands. Her fright doesn't last more than a moment, though. It's all in good fun, right? Chin up.

Once her chin is up, the first thing she sees Shenlong, flailing about wildly on one foot, before falling backwards dramatically. Plevel is nonplussed. Has the weasel lost her mind? But then she starts rubbing her nose, and miming the same action in front of her face, and it clicks. She's making fun of Plevel. She's making fun of her face! Plevel's chutzpah drains away, cold, consuming contempt taking its place. That just isn't okay. That's not funny! Why is everyone laughing at her? Shenlong spins cartwheels around and around Plevel, half to rub it in, half because she's just so pleased with her act.

Plevel, recovering some sass somewhere in her agonizing, rolls her eyes at Shenlong's astounding display of wit and originality, further illustrating how impressed she is with exaggerated gagging motions. And Shenlong rolls her eyes right back at this incredible display of maturity and sophistication. Surely, never has such an intellectual— Plevel spews soupy purple gunk from her mouth, complete with mock retching noises, all over Shenlong with no warning. It gets her mid-cartwheel, and with a shrill squeal, she collapses into a pretzel. The slime bubbles as it slowly disappears, soaking through her skin. And some of it got in her nose, augh. Her body begins to feel sort of heavy, as if waterlogged, as the poison begins to circulate.

Shenlong shakes the feeling off, untangles her limbs, and marches over and gives Plevel a good, broad slap upside the head, knocking the Snivy over. Shenlong is pleased. It took ages to perfect that, but it's worth it every time. This one left a sticky purple pawprint of residue, too. Shame Plevel is immune to her own poison.

Plevel hisses in Shenlong's direction. Stupid Mienfoo with her fancy fighting and showy cartwheels. She's not so impressive. Plevel could do that just as well. She can prove it! And, hey, that'll add extra style to her big trick! Awesome. She extends her little arms as far as they'll go, throws herself sideways, and... bashes her head into the ground. Of course. There's no way her hands could've reached the ground with that in the way. Stupid head. Stupid, stupid big head. This isn't what she wanted! She didn't want a double act, and she certainly didn't want to be on the stooge end!

Alvyren (3/3)
Shenlong
Mienfoo
Ability: Inner Focus
Health: 99%
Energy: 87%
Actions: Feint ~ Swagger ~ Force Palm
Status: Beginning to warm up to the crowd's attention after all. Badly poisoned (1% this round, 2% next).

Cypher (3/3)
Plevel
Snivy
Ability: Contrary
Health: 84%
Energy: 89%
Actions: Protect ~ Toxic ~ [confused]
Status: Jealous and embarrassed. Has quite the headache. Mildly confused (two more actions at this stage); -2 attack.

Notes:
  • Yeah, I get move stats from veekun. I only look at the Attacks and Abilities Guide for effects. (And Bulbapedia only to check event moves.)
  • Faking Fake Out worked because Feint is very similar in execution. So for the record, Cypher, you couldn't fake just any move.
  • Alvyren posts commands first this round.
  • Blame surskitty and Verne for "chutzpah".
  • I sort of get the feeling this is a bit of a mess given that I've been tweaking it a ton. Need to... not do that.

Energy and Damage:
  • Protect: 5% energy (4% base + 1% evolutionary stage)
  • Feint: 5% energy (5% base); 5% damage (5% base)
  • Swagger: 3% energy (4% base seemed a little high)
  • Toxic: 6% energy (5% base + 1% evolutionary stage)
  • Force Palm: 5% energy (5% base + 1% power - 1% type match); 7% damage (7% base w/ STAB)
  • Plevel hurting herself in confusion: 4% damage

Last edited:
Good work, Shenlong. The stage is set; now to get to work.

We were careless to overlook Snivy's support movepool. Let's shut Plevel down by taunting her. Then, we will prepare for attack. Hone your offensive abilities by preparing a swords dance. Finish with flair, launching an acrobatic assault.

Taunt ~ Swords Dance ~ Acrobatics

...Dammit.

Okay, I made a few mistakes by sending you out, but let's hope you don't go down as fast as Esther (no offense to him) like in our last battle.

We're out, status-wise. So let's see.

Start off with a Wring Out to take advantage of Shenlong's minimal damage.

Then go for Giga Drain to prepare for the upcoming Acrobatics. If for whatever reason Wring Out missed or you got confused the first action, go for it instead.

Final action, do one more Giga Drain to see how much health we can get back.

If you are unable to, for whatever reason, use Giga Drain or Wring Out, use Leaf Storm instead.

Wring Out/Leaf Storm ~ Giga Drain/Wring Out/Leaf Storm ~ Giga Drain/Leaf Storm

Last edited:
White City Stadium

White City is located on an island not terribly far from Johto; Olivine runs a ferry to and fro twice a day. The centerpiece of the popular tourist destination is the huge stadium situated between the amusement park and GB Tower where tournaments are held almost daily. It's Poké Cup season and brand new Trainers are itching to join the league fray. The stadium is a very neutral turf, with a neatly-trimmed grass surface and a clay platform in the middle shaped like a Poké Ball. Glass panels are raised high around the perimeter of the battling grounds to protect the audience of well over 10.000 without obscuring their vision -- damaging these panels will incur a disqualification penalty for the offending Pokémon. Fortunately, they're highly reinforced and it would take a very significant impact to even make a scratch.

Other notes: Held items, Pokémon modifications, and unofficial Pokémon are not permitted. A newer player would be preferred as this is my first battle in years (and things have changed a lot since).​

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Shenlong (f) <Inner Focus>
Health: 99%
Energy: 87%
- Poisoned (severe; 2% this round, 3% next).

Cypher (Ooo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 84%
Energy: 89%
- Mildly confused (two more actions at this stage); -2 attack​

Before Shenlong can let out a breath, Plevel grabs her and starts shaking her madly. Shenlong's head whips back and forth so powerfully it feels like it's about to be ripped off, but Plevel can only keep the attack up for a short period of time before Shenlong pushes the snivy off, and she feels pretty okay afterwards. Good enough to jeer at the snivy, even, for how poorly she did last round - did she really think she could get away with such tactics? Plevel's face burns read with rage and a burning desire to tear Shenlong a new one, and she'd determined to destroy the mienfoo.

Confident, Shenlong begins to dance, boosting her bloodflow to all her limbs and thus her ability to strike twice as hard. She's sure this will benefit her, because she knows her next command - so she puts extra work into her dance, and she can feel the strength flowing to her already.

Unfortunately, Plevel feels the exact opposite. The rage from the taunt and swagger from before mix together and she feels so bewildered she rushes forwards at the dancing mienfoo, tripping over a twig and tumbling onto her face. She gets up quickly and blinks, all signs of confusioon gone from her mind, but still enormously furious.

Grinning now, Shenlong jumps towards Plevel, dancing again around the snivy and swiping at her with jarring hits as she twirls around, smacking here and there from the left, right, jumping over and punching from up above - Plevel curls up and whimpers from the flurry of attacks, growing increasingly bruised, until Shenlong jumps to the side, grinning and satisfied. Plevel uncurls herself, fury and pain combining in a green energy that wraps around the mienfoo and floats slowly towards Plevel. Shenlong feels as if her life is actually being drawn out of her, and it is - it's being sucked away, absorbed by the snivy, but she can only take so much and some of the health floats away, unabsorbed. Shenlong shakes herself, trying to get rid of that creepy life-stealing feeling, while Plevel glances at a few of her slightly-healed bruises; not healed enough, in her opinion. That mienfoo has to pay.​

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Health: 82%
Energy: 70%
- "Ha-yaaa!" Poisoned (severe; 2% this round, 3% next); +2 atk.

Cypher (Ooo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 64%
Energy: 73%
- "Owww..." taunted (1 more action).

Arena Notes:
None.

Final Notes:
- Whoever goes first is randomized due to there being practically no difference in speeds.
- Wring out did rather little damage, considering its base power, due to -2 attack and baby stage and all.
- -2 attack faded with loss of confusion.
- Plevel was struck by confusion on second action, but barely did any damage to herself.
- Uhmmm acrobatics is strong.
- Cypher next.

Okay, Taunt lasts one more action, let's take advantage of this.

Go for an Aerial Ace, let's see what this does. After that, your Taunt your should be over, no? Go for a Taunt back to keep them from using any more stat-boosting moves. If you are unable to use Taunt, go for Reflect. If your Taunt isn't over, or if you were Taunted again, go with Aerial Ace. Finish off with a Taunt if you didn't do it the second action, a Reflect if you didn't do it the second action, or an Aerial Ace if Taunted.

Aerial Ace ~ Taunt / Reflect / Aerial Ace ~ Taunt / Reflect / Aerial Ace

Excellent work, Shelong. With Plevel's confusion faded, and attack restored, it seems our enemy is keen at taking an aerial approach, as well -- another swagger should do the trick. Next, we'll continue the assault with two rounds of Acrobatics, unless for some reason Plevel manages to raise a Reflect, in which case, Brick Break instead.

Swagger ~ Acrobatics/Brick Break ~ Acrobatics/Brick Break

White City Stadium

Other notes: Held items, Pokémon modifications, and unofficial Pokémon are not permitted. A newer player would be preferred as this is my first battle in years (and things have changed a lot since).​

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Health: 79%
Energy: 70%
- "Ha-yaaa!" Poisoned (severe; 2% this round, 3% next); +2 atk.

Cypher (Ooo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 64%
Energy: 72%
- "Owww..." taunted (1 more action).​

Still annoyed from Shenlong's jeering, Plevel jumps into the air and swoops towards Shenlong, slashing across her with her claws and opening up a thin, deep wound. Shenlong hisses in pain and covers the cut; it stings bad, but is only barely bleeding, so there's not much to cover. Instead she jeers more at Plevel, who is just beginning to calm down after her attack - she taunts and smirks and laughs about how poorly the snivy is doing, a special snivy that's supposed to be endowed with special dream abilities but is actually losing! Plevel's head goes red with rage and her vision blurs again, unable to think clearly.

She stumbles forwards towards where she thinks Shenlong is, trying to recall what she was supposed to do, but instead she loses her balance and overcompensates backwards, tumbling onto her back. It doesn't hurt too much but she can't get up and she just lays there, confused and dazed.

Shenlong grins, bemused and over her cut. Instead she jumps over towards where Plevel is, twirling around her in a peculiar dance and striking out from all sides, bruising her quite badly with her quickly-striking hands. Plevel shrieks at each hit; they're so strong and hit exactly where she's vulnerable, and Shenlong keeps twirling around her, as if boasting about just how easily she can move while Plevel is laying vulnerable on the ground.

Shenlong pauses to take a breath, then flips over Plevel and strikes at her stomach, lands on her feet at Plevel's head and strikes again, smacking the snivy in the nose; Plevel yelps and gets to her feet, but Shenlong twirls behind her and agilely kicks at her butt, then runs away to a safe distance where Plevel can't reach her. The treecko falls to her knees, so hurt by the repeated attacks and dazed by her confusion it takes her a while to catch her breath.

When she does, she has a bit of difficulty with her command. She taunts Shenlong, but it's a somewhat insecure taunt - Shenlong's clearly more confident than she is. Still, she laughs about her... dancing, how funny she looks dancing around, and Shenlong does grow a bit self-conscious about that. But then she gets a raging desire to prove Plevel wrong, to hurt her - more than she'd done already. Plevel feels like that was a stupid move, to enrage Shenlong, but what can she do? Commands are commands...​

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Health: 69%
Energy: 48%
- ">|" Poisoned (severe; 3% this round, 4% next); +2 atk; taunted (2 more actions).

Cypher (Ooo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 24% (capped)
Energy: 64%
- "; ;" confused (severe), -2 atk.

Arena Notes:
None.

Final Notes:
- Plevel just hit the DC with his confusion check.
- I miscalculated wring-out before so I took some more hp from Shenlong and a bit of energy from Plevel.
- Alvyren next.

Fantastic, Shenlong! I believe your first match will be wrapping up shortly. Let's try for paralysis once more and open with a Force Palm. Regardless of the result, your next acrobatics should finish Plevel off. By then, the effects of her taunt should wear. If Plevel is still standing for some reason, give her a light pounding. Otherwise, raise a reflective barrier.

Force Palm ~ Acrobatics ~ Pound/Reflect

White City Stadium

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Health: 69%
- ">|" Poisoned (severe; 3% this round, 4% next); +2 atk; taunted (2 more actions).

Cypher (Ooo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 24% (capped)
Energy: 64%
- "; ;" confused (severe), -2 atk.​

Plevel breathes deep, and Shenlong glows a bright green, much to her surprise; small orbs begin to flow from her towards Plevel, and when they reach the snivy, she seems to restore a bit of health, a tiny bit at least. Shenlong frowns - each orb seems to sap her, just that same tiny bit, until collectively it hurts. The glow eventually fades, and she feels somewhat worse... just a bit.

Annoyed, Shenlong pounces on Plevel, slamming into her with her fist - right into the snivy's skull. Shenlong managed, somehow, to hit a sensitive spot; somewhere in the brain, maybe, that controls movement, because Plevel freezes, and she can't move at all for just a moment. She regains mobility after a second, but there's a twitch in her, a strangeness to her movements, and it's clear she's paralyzed. Not to mention, she's barely hanging on; one more hit will, surely, knock her out, and Shenlong can tell.

Because she doesn't waste a second before jumping over the snivy, kicking her mid-jump and twirling around, knocking into her again. She does all sorts of strange acrobatic movements, smacking her and running around to the other side, hitting her again, from all sides, until the poor snivy just can't hang on anymore and she closes her eyes and fades away. Shenlong hits her one last time for good measure, then pulls back and grins. It's about time, as far as she's concerned.​

Alvyren (Ooo)
mienfoo
Health: 57%
- "Buh-bye then." Poisoned (severe; 4% this round, 5% next); +2 atk.

Cypher (xoo)
snivy
Plevel (f) <contrary>
Health: 0%
Energy: 57%
- Fainted.

Arena Notes:
None.

Final Notes:
- Force Palm managed to paralyze, not that it matters.
- Cypher sends out and attacks, Alvyren attacks.

Back
Top Bottom