• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Lord of the Fireflies vs. ole_schooler

Summergale

1 vs 1
DQ: 5 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned Moves: Anything that would cause any battler to instantly faint, Evasion, Weather, Attract, Direct Healing moves, Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon.
Arena: The Fighting Dojo

Yes, the unofficial gym in Saffron City. It is just like in the games, so I won't bother with a precise description. Okay, I will. Walls of wood and floor of tatami, the fighting dojo is ideal for a quick 1 vs 1 fight between two eager battlers, and supervised by the Karate King himself. What most people ignore, though, is that the fighters practice a magical art from long ago, to shield their training spot from those pesky psychic-types next door. The area sports a various array of effects to spice things up, so don't expect a boring battle. At least, I hope so.

Effects:

I. Fighting-type attacks deal 2% more damage for 2% less energy after all calculations.

II. Psychic-type attacks deal 2% less damage for 2% more energy after all calculations.

III. Flying-type moves deal half damage because of the enclosed environment.

IV. Moves that cause arena destruction aren't banned, but if they were used both battlers would be kicked out (the user sustaining a hefty 25% fighting-type damage, not affected by the damage cap) and the battle would continue outside, and all effects would disappear.

V. At the end of each round, the arena will change, each with equal possibility, and never the same twice in a row.

- Casual Dojo: The battle starts in this arena, and it has no particular effect over the battlers:

- Training Pond: The floor shifts and opens to reveal a pond below. The battlers have to stand on Bamboo sticks, reducing the accuracy of their contact moves by 10%. If they miss because of that, they will fall in the pond, sustaining 2% typeless damage from the fall, and lose an action as well as 2% energy to climb up again. If they are targeted by a contact attack while in the pond, the user will just wait, chilling out and recovering 5% energy. This doesn't count towards the chill limit.

- Training Course: The floor shifts and opens, revealing a heavy artillery of training devices, most of them being very dangerous to approach. If a battler uses a move requiring movement over a wide area, the will inevitably hit one of those machines, sustaining 5% steel damage.

- Training Machine: The floor shifts and opens, revealing a indestructible glass floor with flashing lights all over. This special training floor activates the effects of Trick Room, Gravity and Magic Room. Additionally, the machine absorbs the power of all moves, effectively only leaving contact moves to be damaging. Non-damaging moves still work.

Other: Unevolved fighting-types only.

Lord of the Fireflies' Usable Pokémon

meditite
Ryoku the Female Meditite
Ability: Pure Power
Item: Lucky Egg
Move Mod: AHBE Move - Hypnosis

ole_schooler's Usable Pokémon

riolu
Dawg the Male Riolu
Ability: Inner Focus
Item: Soothe Bell

....welp.

For the sake of tradition, actions are as follows:

1. Lord of the Fireflies (can I call you Fireflies or Lord or something?) sends out Ryoku.
  2. ole_schooler sends out Dawg and issues commands.
  3. Lord of the Fireflies issues commands.
  4. I ref.

I assume that "anything that would cause any battler to instantly faint" refers to OHKOs, correct?

Last edited:
Who orders first? Based on who sends out first, I assume it would be me, but it's not really clear...

Alright, Dawg, let's do the best we can with this. Not looking forward to those Psychic-type attacks...although the slight penalty does help.

Alright. Start of with a Role Play, quick as you can. Fire off a Force Palm and a Drain Punch to follow. If she starts with the Protecting or Detecting on any action, Feint away. If, on the second or third action, she's got a Reflect up, she's Biding, or your accuracy has been lowered more than two levels, Bulk Up for any remaining actions.

Role Play/Feint~Force Palm/Feint/Bulk Up~Drain Punch/Feint/Bulk Up

Alright. Give me a nice quick 10% substitute, and follow with a Bulk Up. Finish with Focus Punch if your sub it still up by the end of the second action; otherwise use Force Palm.

Substitute ~ Bulk Up ~ Focus Punch / Force Palm

Last edited:
1 vs 1
Banned Moves: Anything that would cause any battler to instantly faint, Evasion, Weather, Attract, Direct Healing moves, Chills limited to 3 per Pokémon.

Yes, the unofficial gym in Saffron City. It is just like in the games, so I won't bother with a precise description. Okay, I will. Walls of wood and floor of tatami, the fighting dojo is ideal for a quick 1 vs 1 fight between two eager battlers, and supervised by the Karate King himself. What most people ignore, though, is that the fighters practice a magical art from long ago, to shield their training spot from those pesky psychic-types next door. The area sports a various array of effects to spice things up, so don't expect a boring battle. At least, I hope so.

Effects:

I. Fighting-type attacks deal 2% more damage for 2% less energy after all calculations.

II. Psychic-type attacks deal 2% less damage for 2% more energy after all calculations.

IV. Moves that cause arena destruction aren't banned, but if they were used both battlers would be kicked out (the user sustaining a hefty 25% fighting-type damage, not affected by the damage cap) and the battle would continue outside, and all effects would disappear.

V. At the end of each round, the arena will change, each with equal possibility, and never the same twice in a row.

- Casual Dojo: The battle starts in this arena, and it has no particular effect over the battlers:

- Training Pond: The floor shifts and opens to reveal a pond below. The battlers have to stand on Bamboo sticks, reducing the accuracy of their contact moves by 10%. If they miss because of that, they will fall in the pond, sustaining 2% typeless damage from the fall, and lose an action as well as 2% energy to climb up again. If they are targeted by a contact attack while in the pond, the user will just wait, chilling out and recovering 5% energy. This doesn't count towards the chill limit.

- Training Course: The floor shifts and opens, revealing a heavy artillery of training devices, most of them being very dangerous to approach. If a battler uses a move requiring movement over a wide area, the will inevitably hit one of those machines, sustaining 5% steel damage.

- Training Machine: The floor shifts and opens, revealing a indestructible glass floor with flashing lights all over. This special training floor activates the effects of Trick Room, Gravity and Magic Room. Additionally, the machine absorbs the power of all moves, effectively only leaving contact moves to be damaging. Non-damaging moves still work.

The Fighting Dojo of Saffron City is quiet. None of the regulars are here save for the Karate King, who stands in his usual place, practicing. The calm is shattered when three trainers walk through the door; a girl in a modified Rocket uniform takes the lead and waves the Karate King over for a brief discussion. A few moments later the trainers take up positions, each with a single Pokéball in their hand. They toss the balls forward and two Fighting-types emerge in a flare of red light.

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
[Ryoku] Meditite (Female) @Lucky Egg
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Subtitute (10%) ~ Bulk Up ~ Focus Punch/Force Palm
Condition: Calmly observing her foe and waiting for the round to begin.

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
[Dawg] Riolu (Male) @Soothe Bell
Ability: Inner Focus
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
Commands: Role Play/Feint ~ Force Palm/Feint/Bulk Up ~ Drain Punch
Condition: Hopping from one foot to the other and yapping excitedly every now and then.

Round 1, begin!

With both battlers so evenly matched in natural speed, there is a brief moment of inaction before Dawg finally makes his move. Since Ryoku doesn't seem to be shielding herself from anything, he sets about imitating her instead. He tries sitting the way she does, humming under his breath and generally looking faintly ridiculous. Ryoku herself simply blinks in surprise, but shrugs and goes about with her own commands. Her eyes glows a soft shade of pink, a similar glob of energy forming in front of her. Slowly, it expands into another, slightly smaller Meditite made out of glowing pink lifeforce. The effort leaves Ryoku feeling a little strainer, but it's nothing she can't handle.

Meanwhile, Dawg has finished his imitation and is feeling... strong. Stronger than before, anyway, and suddenly he wants to try out his newfound power. In a few, bounding leaps reminiscent of the way Ryoku runs, Dawg crasses the gap between them and raises a paw high, making it glow with energy before it sweeps downwards. However, the Substitute takes the brunt of the blow, and while it doesn't seem to have even flinched it keeps flickering in and out of existence. Ryoku stares at her substitute a little worriedly before setting about flexing her muscles and taking deep breaths. She's done this sort of thing countless times in training as a warm-up, and before long she's looking a little larger than before.

Dawg glares at the Substitute and goes in for the next attack, curling one paw into a fist and rushing forward, maybe if he's faster, he can--

Nevermind. The Substitute once more jumps into his path, though this time it simply shatters into a thousand motes of psychic energy. Dawg would like to say he feels better after doing that, but if he did he'd be lying - the only way he can say he feels better is catharsis at getting the sub out of the way. He takes a deep breath and tries to focus, but is rudely interrupted by a punch to the face that knocks him flat onto his rear. He stares up with a dazed expression at Ryoku, who has a look on her face somewhere between 'smug' and 'surprise'.

His shock is rudely interrupted, however, by the sudden shifting of the arena. The trainers don't seem too surprised by this, though the referee does mumble a curse under her breath as the floor opens up to reveal some nasty-looking machines. Ryoku glances sidelong at them and decides she really doesn't want to hit them if at all possible. Dawg, on the other hand, stays where he is, feeling quite light-headed.

Round 1 over!

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
Health: 90%
Energy: 86%
Commands: Subtitute (10%) ~ Bulk Up ~ Focus Punch
Status: Still reasonably unhurt, but feeling slightly tired. +1 Attack, +1 Defense.
Condition: Lamenting the tragic loss of her substitute.

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
Ability: Inner Focus Pure Power
Health: 68%
Energy: 82%
Commands: Role Play ~ Force Palm ~ Drain Punch
Status: Rather worse for the wear after being the target of a Focus Punch.
Condition: Holy crap, I think my nose is bleeding... - Both paws clapped over his nose.

Arena Notes
The arena is now a Training Course. Any moves requiring movement over a large area will force the user to run over these machines, inflicting 5% steel damage.

End of Round Notes:
  • Dawg gained no health from the Drain Punch, seeing as he was already at 100%.
  • I had Ryoku use Focus Punch for her third action, since her commands were to use it if she still had a sub up at the start of the action.
  • I think my calculations are right, though I did slip up and forget about the arena bonus until after I'd done everything else. At least I didn't go through with my idea of doing the actual calculations at 2am, since I ended up getting Ryoku and Dawg's commands mixed up and everything generally went to hell.

Next Round
    Lord of the Fireflies issues commands.
    ole_schooler issues commands.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the math on the attacks, if you don't mind, mostly because I would have expected Force Palm to break the substitute, in light of having Pure Power (x1.2 damage) and the boost from the dojo (+2%) (although depending on how you ordered things, this could be different). Also, Lord of the Fireflies orders next, yeah?

I'd like to see the math on the attacks, if you don't mind, mostly because I would have expected Force Palm to break the substitute, in light of having Pure Power (x1.2 damage) and the boost from the dojo (+2%) (although depending on how you ordered things, this could be different). Also, Lord of the Fireflies orders next, yeah?

I missed out the 2% extra from the dojo, as it turns out. If you give me a few minutes I'll redo the reffing and make sure to get the calculations right this time.

(This is what happens when I have three different damage increases to keep in mind! xD It's all good though, at least you pointed it out)

EDIT: Actually, recalculating -even with the 2% I missed out - gives me this:

Force palm = 60 bp
60 x 1.25 x 1.5 = 112.5, round to 110
110 / 10 = 11
(11 - 1) x 0.67 = 6.7 (The -1 is because Riolu is a baby Pokémon, the 0.67 because Meditite resists Fighting type attacks)
Then adding on the 2% from the arena, you still only come to 8% :/

Last edited:
I think you calculated Pure Power's boost as 1.5, but it is 1.2. Just a nitpick.

Alright, everything went as expected. It's going to be a tad harder here be we can still do it. Psycho Cut is a projectile attack, so you won't have to move to use it. Still, it will be quite strenuous to use, So Chill in between. Magic Coat if he tries to use Screech, Captivate or Swagger, and Chill is he tries to use Protect, Detect or Counter. If you already Chilled once, use Bulk Up on the second action.

Psycho Cut / Magic Coat / Chill ~ Chill / Magic Coat / Bulk Up ~ Psycho Cut / Magic Coat / Chill

Aha, I forgot about resistance. The other multipliers were 1.2 for Pure Power, 1.5 for STAB, yeah? 1.2 * 1.5 * .67 ~ 1.12, times base 60 power ~ 67.2, round to 70, / 10 for 7 damage, -1 for baby, +2 for arena, leads to 8, which is what it is. Geez, there's a reason I leave the reffing to other folks, and this doesn't even include energy! Thanks for providing the math; forgetting resistance threw me off.

In other news, Dawg! We need to pick up the pace; you're already far behind on health! I expected difficulty, but this...! Okay. If you think it will work, Magnet Rise over the devices to close with your foe; otherwise, use Agility to dodge around them to get close. Follow it with a pair of Shadow Claws, and if you can knock her into a machine, so much the better.

Magnet Rise/Agility~Shadow Claw~Shadow Claw

Actually, the STAB boost is only 1.25 in ASB, so in theory it should deal even less damage. Not that it matters, though, as the second hit breaks the sub anyways.

Last edited:
1 vs 1

Effects:

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
Health: 90%
Energy: 88%
Commands: Psycho Cut/Magic Coat/Chill ~ Chill/Magic Coat/Bulk Up ~ Psycho Cut/Magic Coat/Chill
Status: Still reasonably unhurt, but feeling slightly tired. +1 Attack, +1 Defense.

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
Health: 68%
Energy: 85%
Commands: Magnet Rise/Agility ~ Shadow Claw ~ Shadow Claw
Status: Rather worse for the wear after being the target of a Focus Punch.
Condition: Holy crap, I think my nose is bleeding... - Both paws clapped over his nose.

Round two, begin!

This time around, Ryoku is the first to act, focusing all her energy upon her left arm. The aforementioned appendage begins to glow the same pink as the Substitute had, before Ryoku raises it up and makes a slashing movement towards Dawg. The Emanation Pokémon is still cradling his cose and trying to work out if its broken or not, and ends up being thrown back by the slice of energy. Ryoku takes the chance to carefully manouvre away in order to rest.

Dawg lies on his back feeling distinctly winded, but manages to push himself off the floor anyway. His entire body aches and he knows he's in worse shape than Ryoku right now. That alone is enough to irritate him and sent his tail flicking back and forth - not out of happiness, but out of anger. And to top it off, she's hiding from him.He'll show her. He can be powerful, too. Stupid psychic-types. With these thoughts so firmly in his mind, Dawg bounces from one foot to the other, building up momentum, before finally flinging himself towards Ryoku. He manages to avoid the training machines, mostly, though he does scrape against one with a hiss of pain. Are these things made of razor blades?!

Ryoku, meanwhile, is sitting cross-legged on the floor and perfectly at peace. She meditates and relaxes, feeling some vigor return to her muscles. She's still slightly drained from creating her Substitute, but at least she doesn't feel very tired any more. Her meditations are interrupted by a wild flail of dark blue and black fur, and before she can register what's happening she receives a nasty slash across her face. When Dawg backs away she clasps at her face for a moment, feeling the darkness within the attack burn against her skin. That hurt.

With Dawg barely a metre away, there's no chance of missing. Leaving one hand clutching the right side of her head, where the attack landed, she once more charges up her arm and swipes it at Dawg. It doesn't land perfectly on target, but she cracks a sly grin at the yelping sound he makes. There. That'll teach him, she muses, feeling quite smug. She may be injured, but he's worse.

Dawg is thrown back by the attack, though he rolled over and wound up crouching, breathing heavily. The last few attacks really, really hurt, despite the environment, and it takes him a few moments to stand up again. But stand up he does, and Ryoku is going to pay. He snarls and bounds forward on all fours - a rare sight, since most Riolus prefer walking on their hind legs whenever possible - and simply flings himself at Ryoku. He lifts one paw up high and feels a surge of shadow energy roll through him like a cloud of fog before he sweeps downards. Ryoku squeals and manages to push him away, but not before the damage is done - she ends up sitting wiping blood off of her head and face, while Dawg sits and simmers, trying not to pass out.

The training machines fold back under the floor with loud, metallic crashing sounds that make everyone present jump in alarm. The shutters close, and for a moment everyone relaxes. Another loud noise shakes the dojo, however, and the entire floor slides open - Lord of the Fireflies, ole_schooler and their Pokémon manage to move in time, but the referee ends up falling flat on her face and knocking off her hat. The floor then begins to flash a number of disconcerting colors, and the room feels... different. Heavier, maybe.

The referee dusts herself off with a grumble and ends the round.

Round two over!

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
Health: 67%
Energy: 83%
Commands: Psycho Cut ~ Chill ~ Psycho Cut

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
Health: 38%
Energy: 70%
Commands: Agility ~ Shadow Claw ~ Shadow Claw
Status: Severely wounded, but stalwartly ignoring it in favour of sheer rage instead.
Condition: Grrrrrrr........ - Glaring daggers at Ryoku. Not a happy puppy.

Arena Notes
The training course is gone, replace with a special multi-coloured floor. Gravity, Trick Room, and Magic Room are now in effect.

End of Round Notes

• The second Shadow Claw by Dawg was a critical hit.
  • Dawg used Agility rather than Magnet Rise in the first action, because I assumed the training apparatus would be made of metal, and floating over metal while magnetised doesn't seem like a great idea.
  • Dawg almost hit the cap this round. STAB + Pure Power + type advantage = pain for a certain blue puppy, sorry.
  • My little referee-person cannot catch a break, can she? ;)

Next Round
  • ole_schooler issues commands.
  • Lord of the Fireflies issues commands.
  • I ref.

Wow, that was fast. But actually, Magnet Rise propels the user away from metallic sources, so I think Dawg should've been able to dodge the machines. But eh, you're the ref after all.

Wow, that was fast. But actually, Magnet Rise propels the user away from metallic sources, so I think Dawg should've been able to dodge the machines. But eh, you're the ref after all.

Ah, does it? Well, quick math tells me both Agility and Magnet Rise come out to pretty much the same amount of energy, so I'm not sure it would make much difference in the end. A question of flavour, I suppose.

(Why does Riolu even get that move in the first place? Lucario's a steel-type, but not Riolu...)

Well, if you ignore the magnetic bit of it, it's basically levitation, which is a staple in magical-kung-fu people, which is what Riolu and Lucario are. So...it almost makes sense. Except for the magnets. (Unrelatedly, how did Dawg manage to do an odd number of damage with two attacks?)

Back on topic, Dawg. You are in a world where everything is inverse and backwards and generally not as it should be; let's see if that will help you win. Alright, clause 1: Counter any physical moves that hit you. Clause 2: Feint against any Protects or Detects. Otherwise, Shadow Claw, Drain Punch, Drain Punch, in that order, hope for the best.

Shadow Claw/Counter/Feint~Drain Punch/Counter/Feint~Drain Punch/Counter/Feint

Lord of the Fireflies vs. ole_schooler - Round Three

1 vs 1

Effects:

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
Energy: 83%
Commands: Hypnosis ~ Hypnosis / Bulk Up ~ Hypnosis / Psycho Cut
Condition: Quite badly injured, though not out for the count just yet.

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
Health: 38%
Commands: Shadow Claw/Counter/Feint~Drain Punch/Counter/Feint~Drain Punch/Counter/Feint
Status: Severely wounded, but stalwartly ignoring it in favour of sheer rage instead.
Condition: Grrrrrrr........ - Glaring daggers at Ryoku. Not a happy puppy.

Round three, begin!

Though turn order would normally dictate that Dawg was the first to move this round, instead it's Ryoku who goes first. She smiles sweetly at Dawg and stares straight into his eyes as her own begin to glow. The puppy Pokémon's jaw drops as he is sucked in by the hypnotic powers of the Meditite. It's not a natural move for her species, but Ryoku finds herself glad she knows it as Dawg gently tips over sideways in a deep sleep.

Now that that's out of the way, Ryoku pulls herself into a standing position and begins to carefully flex her muscles. They ache slightly in response, but it's nothing she hasn't felt before, and she pushes onwards. Dawg continues to sleep fitfully as she stretches and moves, and by the time she's done she looks a little stronger than before.

Before she goes forward with her next action, however, Ryoku takes a moment to check how deep Dawg's sleep really is. If he wakes up, he's going to be angry. Angrier than before, maybe. When he doesn't respond to a light prod to the shoulder, Ryoku takes a few steps back and focuses. It's a little bit of a strain to produce the same amount of psychic energy, thanks to the Dojo's built-in shielding, but her arm flickers and glows all the same. With an elegant sweep of her arm, the Psycho Cut digs deep into Dawg's flesh and he is sent rolling back, mumbling something about pancakes to himself.

With nothing else to do and Dawg showing little sign of waking up, Ryoku absent-mindedly looks at the pretty lights for a few minutes. The floor rumbles and the floor that the battle stated on slides back into place, Ryoku deciding that, in the interests of fairness, she should pull Dawg up with her. If she left him on the trainign floor, she wouldn't be able to hit him. He wouldn't be able to hit her, either, but it wouldn't be fair.

At first the referee seems entirely willing to end the round, right up until the floor opens up again to reveal bamboo sticks over a huge pool that dominates the room. The referee doesn't catch on to this change as quickly as the others, though, and ends up falling into the water. ole_schooler, on the other hand, simply eyes the sleeping Dawg warily. The Riolu is draped over one of the sticks, but if her moves too much he could fall off.

Round three over!

Lord of the Fireflies
fjhvls.gif

meditite
Energy: 72%
Commands: Hypnosis ~ Bulk Up ~ Psycho Cut
Condition: Shouldn't be long now, I think. - Feeling quite pleased with herself.

ole_schooler
fjhvls.gif

riolu
Health: 21%
Commands: Shadow Claw ~ Drain Punch ~ Drain Punch
Condition: Trying to run in his sleep. He still looks slightly angry.

Arena Notes:
The training floor has been replaced by a large pool of water. All contact moves have their accuracy reduced by 10%, and missing will make the attacker fall into the pool.

End of Round Notes:
  • Just a note about the way I ref sleep - moves like Hypnosis, which only induce sleep, start it off at 5 actions. Every 10% of damage done to the sleeping Pokémon reduces that by one action, hence why Dawg only has 2 actions of sleep left.
  • Hypnosis came so close to missing, you have no idea.

Next Round:
  • Lord of the Fireflies issues commands.
  • ole_schooler issues commands.
  • I ref.

I think it is the first battle I've ever done that didn't last for more than a week.

Spam Psycho Cut. If he uses Counter try a Psychic instead (if you can throw him in the water it would be nice) and Feint if he uses Protect / Detect.

Psycho Cut / Psychic / Feint x3

Back
Top Bottom