• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[Event] Battle for Asber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negrek

busy dizzy lazy
Staff member
Only in Asber would they be reckless enough to test the limits of their new battle system with real, live legends. Only in Asber would they think to grant three of the league's most powerful trainers the opportunity to hold the power of pokémon gods in their hands. And only in Asber could they, after the fact, shrug sheepishly and say, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

It started innocently enough. In a top-secret research and development facility on the outskirts of ASB Central, several trainers were invited to participate in a test of the system's new capabilities.

At first, no one showed any sign of difficulty in controlling the pokémon they'd been given. Even the spiteful lord of the Reverse World and Team Rocket's ultimate bio-weapon seemed tractable enough when confined to pokéballs, unleashed in holo-arenas, and subjected to all the security the league could muster. When the battle system went live, the legends were safely packed away and returned to the secret holding facility below Dragon's Den Simulations where they normally resided. Life in Asber went on.

And yet all was not well. The mind-warping powers of Mewtwo are legendary; the Griseous Orb, similar to the Red and Blue orbs linked to Groudon and Kyogre, has been known to have unfortunate mental side-effects upon exposure; and Darkrai is a master of the dream manipulation, able to suggest whatever it wants through nightmares. As the months went on, the powers of the legends continued to work away at the minds of their temporary trainers, gradually bending them to their will and planting in the humans' minds their plot of escape. Bribes were made, a battle arranged, and one innocent fall day there began a metronome battle that would put the destruction of ASB Central in motion.

It wasn't long before a fortuitous meteor felled Dragons' Den Simulations, and as the burning building collapsed on itself, the security system keeping the legends confined began to fail. When Negrek, after finding the city suddenly under siege, succeeded in rebooting the banking system and dashed out to confront the trainers, it was to find the battle already over, its referee fled, and three legendary pokémon rising out of the wreckage of their prison. The legends cast off the last of their bonds and soared high above Asber, the better to survey the land upon which they would wreak their revenge. With them they brought the three deranged trainers, who for all appearances were enjoying the jaunt immensely.

If Negrek had hoped she could pass off the vanishment of three of the league's longstanding members as "probably one of those real-life things some people have to do, you know," she was to be sadly disappointed when the meteors began to fall. As buildings went up in flames or down into craters and the assault showed no sign of abating, Negrek was forced to confront her only option: to foment a battle between the legends and the trainers of the league, where the legends' powers would be constrained by the rules of the game and the trainers would have some hope of thwarting their plan to destroy the city. She put out a reluctant plea for help from the rest of the league before climbing onto her own aerodactyl and taking to the sky, headed for the raging cloud of power that marked the location of three powerful pokémon now allied in their intent to destroy the whole of the Asber region.

This is a free-for all melee battle, and up to thirty people may participate. Kratos, Kusari, and Pathos are on the same team, and your objective is to knock out all of their pokémon, but you can damage your own teammates, unintentionally or otherwise.

Kratos controls Giratina-O, Pathos controls Darkrai, and Kusari controls Mewtwo. All legends have 1000 health and energy and count as having all of their stats raised by two stages when in their neutral state (they may therefore reach effective +8 values in any stat and may not fall below -4).

There are no move restrictions in this battle, save those intended to prevent excessive occurrences of people falling to their deaths, but the legends laugh at the notion of one-hit KO moves, and attacks like super fang, endeavor, and so on that don't have a base power and instead do damage based on the user or target's HP, will be similarly shrugged off. They are also immune to even the most ghastly spells, and are therefore unaffected by destiny bond, perish song, and ghost curse. Also, as the arena description below should reinforce, there are many kinds of attacks that won't work due to lack of physical resources.

There will be a variety of prizes available from this battle, and everyone who plays will get something. In addition to a prize for whoever deals the finishing blow to actually knock out one of the legends, there will be prizes for surviving the longest, for dealing the most damage, for being the most helpful to their side, and so on. For the most part, though, they will remain surprises--but very lucrative ones, I assure you! On the flip side, if the legends win, then whichever of them are standing at the end of the match will become a permanent member of their accomplice's team.

Grand Melee - One Pokémon Each
DQ: 1 Week
Damage Cap: None
Banned Moves: Smack Down, Gravity
Arena: The Skies Over Asber

If you're going to be slinging meteors around, there's no better place to do so than from the middle of the sky, right? And Asber is so beautiful spread out below, with its lush forests, wave-thrashed coastlines, and city burning bright with unnatural dragonfire.

Taking the fight to the legends means taking to the air, and the battle unfolds suspended in the open sky. You'd best bring a pokémon that can fly, then, or support itself through some other means. And while you're worried about not falling to your death, you'd best watch out for the meteors, too--the legends aren't about to stop slinging them just because some obnoxious trainers showed up to ruin their fun. Each round, there is a 20% chance that a player's pokémon will be struck by a ball of flaming death for 15% damage. Any pokémon that starts to idle rather than fight is in danger of losing the protection granted it by the referee and putting itself at the mercy of the firestorm's full power. Any pokémon that fails to attempt at least one damaging attack per round will be instantly KO'd.

Post below with a link to your chosen pokémon to sign up. Sign-ups will remain open for a week or until we get thirty players, whichever comes first. The battle will be be structured so that five pokémon face off against the legends at a time; whenever one faints, a new one is sent in to take its place (at the end of the round). The order in which a player gets sent into battle will be randomized--you might be the first to sign up, but you could end up being the last to play. Over the course of the game, if a player is DQ'd, a spot will open up for anyone who wants to take over control of their pokémon for the remainder of the match.

Players will PM their orders for each round. Each player has seven days from when the last round was posted to send commands; if you fail to give commands within that time window, you will be disqualified. There are no provisions for absence sheet posts in this battle, but if you're going to be away, you may allow one of the other players on your team currently in the battle to control your pokémon for the round. If you abuse this privilege, I'll stop letting people do that and just disqualify you unconditionally if you don't send in commands.

Player List
Round Index

Last edited:
Isn't it a little premature to do this before Mosh Pit is even over?

I'm going to use Meta, my Ditto, on the command of sending it out on top of someone else's pokemon. Don't worry, it'll only be for the first action.

Last edited:
I'll be joining. A few questions before I make my choice regarding who to use.

Might a ralts possibly be able to consensually hover through the use of psychic powers? (I also asked this in the rules thread :l)
(Edited this part: I'll be using a sableye instead.)

Do the legendaries have any held items? I assume griseous orb for Giratina, but for the others?

What would happen if a pokemon were to hold an iron ball? Would that pokemon, fall to the ground and could the battle continue on the ground?

Since Kratos, Kusari and Pathos order by pm, then, if they so choose, they can read their opponents' commands in the thread before issuing their own. Correct?

Would it be possible to manipulate the meteors? For example, using psychic or something like that to fling them at the legendaries or use agility or the like to avoid getting hit.

Does the part about needing to attempt at least one damaging attack per round mean that if I command something like, toxic~taunt~swagger, my pokemon'll get ko'ed?

Last edited:
fuck

yes

Dammit Blazhy I told you we should have invested in those Master Balls that shady guy on the corner was selling I mean honestly this was just bound to happen. We need to get those Legendaries uh, back! Everyone do their best!

Let's go, Static! You're going to fly into the sky with that fridge of yours.

Also I'm only two EXP away from my Salamence come on :<

Last edited:
Reading this to a guitar solo is the best thing ever.

Let's roll, Dexterous; this might be your last chance to best that whippersnapper Megatherium.

EDIT: Shit, now I'm thinking about using Colias Palaeno instead. How long do I get to stall this decision?

Another EDIT: Nevermind stalling, I'm definitely going with Colias Palaeno. Sorry, Dex, but sometimes you just have to let them newfangled nations struggle for glory.

Last edited:
SHIIIT

WHY CAN'T NIDOKING FLY

Does being inherently hovering count enough to be in this battle? Do consentually flying pokemon have to suffer the energy loss associated with taking to the air? Could Rael play, with some sort of psychic levitating power?

I'm signing up for this! Sorry, though, but at the moment my choice is rather unclear. (Do reserves even count?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom