• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Pathos vs DarkFireDX

Noctowl

Everyone call me elf monster.
2vs2 Single
DQ: One week
Damage Cap: 40%
Banned Moves: None
Terrain: ASB Central Stadium

Although designed to be a state-of-the-art battling facility and located at the very heart of ASB Central's battle district, ASB Central Stadium actually sees very little use. Most battlers prefer the infinite variety of the holodrome's simulated arenas to the basic, if impressive, stadium field, and official tournaments tend to feature tours of other regions rather than a homefield brawl. There is one advantage to the stadium, though--its proximity to the holodrome grants it access to a full range of simulation options, allowing trainers to trick out their team to whatever extent they like before battling.

There's nothing much to say about the battlefield: it's a large, rectangular arena covered in astroturf. A circular pool will open in its center if a pokémon requiring water to move around in is sent out. In this arena, pokémon can summon absolutely anything they need for their attacks: tidal waves, boulders, and so on are in ready supply.

Pathos' team

Azazel the Male Ekans
Ability: Shed Skin
Item: Lucky Egg

Pathos the Male Rattata
Ability: Guts

Boots the Male Meowth
Ability: Technician

Gwen the Female Omanyte
Ability: Shell Armor
Item: White Herb
Body Modification: Surprise Revival

Starbuck the Female Mudkip
Ability: Torrent

Trigger the Male Nidoranm
Ability: Poison Point
Item: Black Sludge

tetris the Unknown Porygon
Ability: Download
Item: Up-Grade

Shannon the Female Misdreavus
Ability: Levitate
Item: Dusk Stone

halp the Female Wooper
Ability: Water Absorb

Shir the Female Jigglypuff
Ability: Cute Charm
Item: Moon Stone

DarkFireDX's team:

Flamer the Male Tepig
Ability: Blaze

Darko the Male Sandile
Ability: Intimidate

Moley the Male Drilbur
Ability: Sand Rush

Psybub the Male Solosis
Ability: Overcoat

Darken the Male Poochyena
Ability: Quick Feet

Arela the Female Starly
Ability: Keen Eye

Coin flip states: DarkFire sends out Pokemon.
Pathos sends out Pokemon and attacks.
Darkfire posts attacks.
I ref while trying to get the server to work. :)

Alright, I'll start with Shir.

Let's go all-out with a petal dance, unless Darko is unavailable due to protect/detect or being underground or something - then work up. If Darko is commanded to block your petal dance after you've started it, like on the second or third action, don't bother with it and ice beam instead. If he's got clones up, aim for the one that's got a shadow.

Petal dance / Ice beam / Work up x3

Alright, Darko, let's open up with Digging down and under, then Surfacing with a Crunch and ending with Assurance to make sure that damage is solid.

Dig ~ Surface + Crunch ~ Assurance

The grassy field was quiet as the two trainers and one ref lines themselves up. Pathos had a look of determination on their face, while DarkFireDX returned the look. He may be new to ASB, but that would not stop him from defeating his opponent. The two grab their Pokeballs, toss them in the air, and the battle begins. Patho’s Pokemon, a small pink creature, looks on with a smile on her face, while DarkFireDX’s Sandile snaps at the air grumpily. Noticing this, the pink Pokemon shuffled back nervously, maybe a battle was a bad idea…

Team Pathos

Shir (f) Jigglypuff
Item: Moon stone
Ability: Cute charm
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Team DarkFireDX

Darko (m) Sandile
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%

Darko takes no time, and starts digging into the ground as fast as he can go. Shir nervously watches. She then focuses her mind and body, working herself up for the fight of her life. Warmness fills Shir's body, and she suddenly feels much better. It is as if she can take on the world, let alone a little Sandile.

Meanwhile, Darko has been hard at work. The tunnel dipped deep enough to make a u-shaped hole, and the Sandile decided it was time to resurface. Clawing at the dirt in front of him, the Sandile makes quick work on the ground above him, and pounces, jaws filled with dark type energy, onto the now squealing Jigglypuff. The Jigglypuff squirms uncomfortably in Darko's jaw, and is quite relieved when Darko finally lets go, despite the ragged teeth marks in her hide making her feel vulnerable. She can have her revenge! The Jigglypuff closes her eyes for a second, concentrating on summoning petals to surround her body. The petals obscures her vision, but she is still able to slam into the Sandile. The small crocodile shrieks, grass type energy seeping into his body, and winced at the pain of the attack. That little pink blob was going to pay!

Or she would...if Darko was not still resting from his combination attack. He sat and panted heavily, his pants turning into a groan as the Jigglypuff slammed into him yet again. He looked at the oblivious pink blob with anger in his eyes. Soon...

Team Pathos

Shir (f) Jigglypuff
Health: 85%
Energy: 85%
Status: Lost in her petally trance. +1 sp attack, -1 defence.

Team DarkFireDX

Darko (m) Sandile
Health: 64%
Energy: 91%

Notes: There is a tunnel, with two exits.
Crunch lowered defence.
Combos take up two actions.
I hate these servers. I would have done this earlier if it wasn't for them going down all the time.
I've been using this to calculate damage as these forums are being a bum.
I'm not really sure how combos work. If it is wrong, please tell me. :3
Does the moon stone affect non attacking moves? I assume not.

DarkFireDX commands first this round.

Calculations:
Dig: 3% energy Work up: 1% energy (moon stone)
Dig + Crunch: 15% damage 6% energy Petal dance: 18% damage 7% energy
Petal dance: 18% damage 7% energy

Last edited:
buhhh serverfail

I'm pretty sure moon stone affects non-attacking moves. Held items and abilities should be noted in the reffing. I assume Shir's -1 def is from crunch, but that should also be noted in the ref notes, as well as in the battle itself. Petal dance should be doing 18 damage.

You got combos right, but I'm curious how you're calculating them.

I commanded first last round, so DarkFire is first this round.

"The normal-type attacks made by a pokémon holding this item[...]"
--Moon Stone's description

Fixed everything, I think.

For combos, I actually didn't find anything. Normally I would average the base powers and use that, but since the attacks have the same power I instead halved the damage one attack would have done and added it to the damage. I then added both energy scores together. To be honest combos confuse me, and I did try looking things up. O.o

There isn't a lot of info on combos, so I pretty much go with 'be consistent and logical' when it comes to reffing them. It pretty much comes down to ref interpretation, unlike a lot of other things, which is important in this test, actually.

That sounds fair though.

Ok, sorry about the combo thing, I'd forgotten it was still two actions.

Anyway, Darko, start off with some big talk and Swagger. then kick up some dirt for a Mud-slap, and finish with some Assurance this time. If that Jigglypuff gets off some protection before you kick up the dirt, use Hone Claws.

Swagger ~ Mud-slap/Hone Claws ~ Assurance/Hone Claws

Sweet, we get an attack boost, since we'd be confused anyhow from petal dance. Okay Shir, finish your dance, however long that takes (should only be one more action maximum), then heal bell. If you're too confused even to heal bell, chill instead and push healing off to the next action. After you've healed up, let's start drain punching. When Darko kicks mud at you, close and cover your eyes with your little hands, and make sure you've wiped all the mud off before you open your eyes again.

Heal bell / Chill / Petal Dance ~ Heal bell / Chill / Drain Punch x2

Team Pathos

Shir (f) Jigglypuff
Health: 85%
Energy: 85%
Status: Lost in her petally trance. +1 sp attack, -1 defence.

Team DarkFireDX

Darko (m) Sandile
Health: 64%
Energy: 91%

Darko wastes no time, and begins to swagger up and down arond the arena. He knows he is good, and can wipe the floor with that little Jigglypuff. The Jigglypuff looks on, enraged, and snaps out of her trance. The trance itself was extremely tiring, and she finds herself trying to summon a bell to make her feel better. The bell gives off a small, comforting chime, and Shir finds herself feeling much better.

Darko snarls in frustration. All that showing off, for nothing! He gets so angry that he starts kicking up dirt. Expecting this, Shir places her tiny hands over her eyes, and closes them tight. Gingerly, she moves her hands out of the way, and starts forming fighting type energy in her pumped up hands. With a quick punch, Darko is sent flying, landing near by the tunnel he had dug. That stung!

He gets up gingerly, shaking a little, and slams his paw down hard on Shir's body. The Jigglypuff squeaks, rolling back a little, and retaliates by throwing another drain punch at the Sandile. Darko rolls over in pain, he doesn't know how much more of this he can take!

Team Pathos

Shir (f) Jigglypuff
Health: 89%
Energy: 74%
Status: Does not like the mud in her eyes. +1 sp attack, +2 attack -1 defense.

Team DarkFireDX

Darko (m) Sandile
Health: 40%
Energy: 83%

Notes: There is a tunnel, with two exits.
I placed a 50% chance of Shir blocking the accuracy lowering effects of mud slap. It worked once, but not the next time.
Thankfully, heal bell rolled as safe. Might have taken longer to do if it hadn't. XD

Pathos commands first this round.

Calculations:Swagger: 2% energy Heal bell: 3% energy (moon stone)
Mud slap: 3% damage 1% energy Drain punch: 12% (healed 6%) damage 4% energy
Assurance: 5% damage 1% energy Drain punch: 12% (healed 6%) damage 4% energy

Last edited:
He gets so angry that he starts kicking up dirt, some of which lands in Shir's eyes. Expecting this, Shir places her tiny hands over her eyes. While her hands do not cover up all of her huge eyes, her hands do block out some of the attack, making her eyes swim slightly less.

This is confusing. At first it says Darko kicks dirt into Shir's eyes, and it lands there; then you write that Shir expects this and covers her eyes (I also mentioned her closing her eyes, not just covering them, in my commands, fyi). There really shouldn't be a 50% chance of Shir successfully closing her eyes.

Darko was commanded to mud slap only once, and assurance or hone claws on the third action. And though he shouldn't have used mud slap, so the calcs are off on that, it looks like you miscalced how much Shir healed - she took 6 damage from mud slaps and healed 12 from drain punch, so she should be at 91 hp.

Duh, sorry. I shouldn't write when ill.

Also, I added the 50% chance thing as Darko is faster.

Right, Shir, keep drain punching. If Darko is unhittable for any reason (underground, protect/detect, etc.), work up some more; if you're tormented, or Darko wants to counter your punches, hyper beam. Also, if he's got clones, remember to aim for the one with a shadow.

Drain punch / Hyper beam / Work up x3

Yeah, I changed names. This is DarkFireDX.

Alright, Darko, start up by Protecting, follow it by kicking up a Sandstorm, then finish with an ground-shaking Earthquake.

Protect ~ Sandstorm ~ Earthquake

Last edited:
Posting this quickly before the forums die again.

Team Pathos 2/2 Pokemon remaining
Shir (f)
Health: 89%
Status: Happy at the advantage she has. +1 sp attack, +2 attack -1 defense.

Team DarkFireDX 2/2 Pokemon remaining
Darko (m)
Health: 40%
Energy: 83%

Scared of being hit by another drain punch, Darko decides to form a protective shield around himself. He knows that this shield will only protect him for a short amout of time, but is relieved to see Shir looking at him with disinterest. The Jigglypuff yet again works up her mind and body, the strength in her muscles almost bursting with her power. She grins, knowing that her opponent will be dreading the next attack.

Darko is at wits end when his protect shield finally fades. That was all for nothing! The Sandile shivers, thinking of the fighting type energy that keeps bruising his side, and summons a sandstorm to hide himself in. After all, if Shir can't see him, she can't attack him, right?

Shir looks on in the sandstorm, holding her tiny paws in front of her eyes. She did not wish to get horrible gritty sand in her eyes, and the fact that the Sandile just seems to melt into the sand makes it even harder for her to see. She thinks about what her trainer told her. Shadows...shadows... her attention is then turned to the black stripes on the Pokemon. Of course! Darko soon finds himself squeaking in pain as the Jigglypuff again slams a fist into his side. He groans a little at the pain, feeling weak, and looks up at Shir with the angriest look he can give her. The Jigglypuff smiles, feeling healing energy filling her body.

Darko snarls, and rights himself. Maybe he needs to be more assertive! That's right! If he keeps attacking, eventually this weak little balloon will go down! He stomps on the ground, growling fiercly, as the poor Jigglypuff is thrown around by the heaving earth. The Sandile laughs at the squeaking Jigglypuff, coming down from his power at last.

Shir, who had been trying to hold onto grass before this point, righted herself. She would not stand to have such attacks thrown at her! She runs up to the Sandile, shielding her eyes with one paw as she focusses her attack with the other. Darko is yet again slammed against the cold earth, his only relief being that Shir seems to be very bothered by the sandstorm around her.

Team Pathos 2/2 Pokemon remaining
Shir (f)
Health:86%
Energy:65%
Status: Feeling great, despite the sandstorm. +2 sp attack, +3 attack, -1 defence

Team DarkFireDX 2/2 Pokemon remaining
Darko (m)
Health: 14%

Ref notes:

It is sandstorming. Until I can actually check, sandstorm will do 1% damage each action. This sandstorm will last for 3 more actions.

Darko being low on health has reminded me that this is a 2 v 2. I will put how many Pokemon remain in the status section for convience.

Calculations (just in case I did something wrong...I am Derpy after all)
Shir: Work up~Drain punch~Drain punch
Darko: Protect~Sandstorm~Earthquake

Protect energy: 4%
Work up energy: 1% (Moon stone)
Sandstorm energy: 3% (due to being a ground type, would be 4% normally)
Drain punch damage: 13 each (healing 6) Total 26 (healing 12)
Drain punch energy: 4% (8% total)
Earthquake damage: 13%
Earthquake energy: 5%
Sandstorm damage: 1% per action, 2%

Sandstorm: Raises defence by 1.5*. By that I assume that defence will be up to 1.5, rounded down to +1. Correct me if I am wrong.

Removed 5% accuracy from all moves since it is sandstormy.

Work up leaves Shir with 2+ sp attack, 3+ attack, and -1 defence

Moon stone reduces energy for normal type attacks by 1%

DarkFireDX comands first this round.

Last edited:
Sandstorm only raises sp. def for rock type pokemon. Drain punch should be doing 13hp due to +3 atk. Also, 5 actions is rather a short time for weather to last, and removing only 1% accuracy due to sandstorm is not nearly enough.

Also mention who orders next.

Alright. *fixes stuff*

How long does sandstorm last? I checked smogon (as this site wasn't working. Again.) and it said 5 turns, which I translated into actions.

Should it be 5% damage then? Seems a little steep.

I generally have weather last 2-3 rounds.

Lowering accuracy by 5% is still rather low; I'd say lower by 10-15% if it's going to be a static change throughout the entire duration of the sandstorm.

... What? No, 1% damage per action is right.

Back
Top Bottom