• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Suggestions Art Thread of the Dead

Black Yoshi

look at that PUNGENT KILLSTICK.
"The Dead" here meaning myself. Because I'll probably procrastinate eventually and let this die.

ANYWAY, figured I'd share some art with you guys, now that's I'm back after... What, four or five months? I feel like I've improved quite a bit, so it's worth a shot, innit?

So for this first post, I'll just show you most of my new deviantArt account (LINK). Very small gallery. I'll add more stuff as I go along. Hopefully I'm not too much of a butt, and stick with it for at least a while this time.

This first one, I'm not sure who's seen. I've had it for a while, and it might even be almost a year old. Not quite sure. But I still like it, so it's worth putting here. Most of my stuff doesn't get titles, but when they do, it's usually a lyric or something. Like this.

devil_in_the_church_by_taylorboykin-d6k5bf4.png

Next one is the same character. Got lazy on some of the shading, though. But the tentacle thingies look neat.

awakening_by_taylorboykin-d7734em.png

Thirdly, my art teacher once told me to find inspiration in another artist's work. I was stumped until the day we had to turn something in. Then I happened on THIS BEAUTY, and just like that, I had inspiration.

some_like_it_hot_by_taylorboykin-d6nuysz.png

Two more to go. This one was made as my new deviantID. SELF PORTRAITS YAAAAY they make me look more handsome-est than i really am

profile_picture_by_taylorboykin-d7732lr.png

Lastly is the thingy I finished just the other night. Character concepts, really. Nothing more. And one of them has a very two-dimensional hand and it bugs me. But their hair looks good, so.

let_the_sparks_fly_by_taylorboykin-d7e3a7m.png

That's all for now. Maybe I'll go through the trouble of scanning some sketches in and giving people a sketchdump if wanted. Depends on the traffic of this thread. Remember, suggestions and criticism are appreciated! ^^

hooray another post whoowhoo this is so exciting isn't it what a time to be alive

Anyway, this time it's just one image of three sketches. I'd have done more, but frankly, my scanner is being a buttwad, and won't speak to my computer. Might send them to counseling, I dunno.

couple_o__sketches_by_taylorboykin-d7h6wln.png

All of your stuff is really good, but to be completely honest, the sketches were probably my favourite! I like the loose style and they just look really great, I don't know. Anyway, keep it up, I love this stuff! I really like your style and I want to see more of it. I don't have any suggestions, unfortunately, other than perhaps a bit more shading?

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC IF YOU LIKE SKETCHES I GOT MOAR. Not a lot more, mind you.

Well I do, but not here because I hate my scanner now. BUT ANYWAY.

doodlies_by_taylorboykin-d7spcju.png

Two of those are unused as of now. =/

BUT WAIT. I was thinking a while back that I hadn't beat myself up over anything lately SO. I went ahead and drew one or two characters from Black Moon Academy, so I could think about how poorly I ran that and how much I failed and stuff. yaaaaay but enough of that. Most of these are just mine, with one exception.

cynthia_eastes_by_taylorboykin-d7spfx0.png

MOVING ON

professor_pope_by_taylorboykin-d7spg18.png

Musta' been sleepy because I gave Pope too many fingers on his right hand. Oops. TIS BUT A SKETCH.

professor_byron_moriarty_by_taylorboykin-d7sphfl.png

Wish I had battle scars. Scars are sexy.

sofia_by_taylorboykin-d7spmrs.png

I think I managed some decent bewbs in this one, actually. Not too big, but they are present.

And one final one. Don't know how accurate the drawing ended up being, but I ended up thinking of the word "unassuming." Courtesy of Phantom, I present ...

professor_leon_argent_by_taylorboykin-d7spk5y.png

He's got some kinda amulet in his hand and a dreamcatcher, but the real fun part for me was the Deathly Hallows charm he's wearing. Hooray for easter eggs and stuff whooooo

Anyway that's what I have this time, seeing as the sketches seemed to go over well. Lemme know whatcha think, and what other things I should try out. I have access to digital, charcoal, and watercolor. And graphite. Always graphite. So. Yeah. Give me stuff to do for the rest of summer, please.

I FOUND MY OTHER SKETCHBOOK that I finished a week ago and there were two drawings in it I'd like to share with all y'alls.

sketch_dump___of_sorts__by_taylorboykin-d7sq2o4.png

It occurred to me that my last post only had one person who didn't look like some form of angry. So this had some lighter bits. But also some angry bits. Maybe even livid.

And then this other one.

last_one_standing_by_taylorboykin-d7sq1xt.png

I have a really cool idea of how that would look colored, but honestly don't know if I should. I may just end up discouraging myself.

As I said before, though, if you think I should branch out and show you some different stuff, or just keep doing what I'm doing, lemme know. This summer's been a bit slow-going.

So I got bored last night, and

last_one_standing__colored__by_taylorboykin-d7ssspk.png

His skin is peeling away for the glowiness. Kind of gross, but lots of awesome. Quite a journey that little sketch had.

Last edited:
These are really good! The style reminds me of one of my friends' style, they're pretty similar, but that's a good thing!! Great job, and i love the sketches as well! keep up the good work!

O3O thehnk youuuu

I HAVE SOMETHING MORE CHEERFUL. But I didn't do a background cause I suck at those. Also I'm lazy. The two may or may not be connected.

stop_buzzing_me__badum_tss__by_taylorboykin-d7tg5vf.png

From Ulqi's Pokemorph RP. Sardonic Nova gave me the idea. \o/

Also tried different shading than usual for that one. It looks nice, I think.

After a spurt of inactivity, I've decided to just post a few sketches. My (used) new scanner is kinda lame, but it suffices.

paladin_and_shade_sketch_by_taylorboykin-d81l6e2.png

refugee_by_taylorboykin-d81l77k.png

grumpy_silas_by_taylorboykin-d81l7oh.png

child_experiments_by_taylorboykin-d81l895.png

growth_of_insanity_by_taylorboykin-d81l8xn.png

silas_and_puppets_by_taylorboykin-d81l82t.png
This last one was the only one with writing and I almost messed up really bad cause it was 2 am and instead of writing "how adorable" I almost wrote "how abortable" and had a mini panic attack because that's not okay.

ALSO GOOD GOD THIS THREAD HAS OVER 18K VIEWS THAT IS IMPRESSIVE IN MY MIND and I am glad it is (apparently) worth looking at so thank you everyone

but srsly like for as much as the views mean to me if you were to reply more often and tell me what's cool, what to keep doing and what not to do anymore or offer criticism or whatever that would be even more special

Last edited:
These are all awesome and I still hate you for it.

It's not really my place here to offer you advice; the anatomy is nigh perfect, you've got the expressions down really well, et cetera et cetera.

My only real suggestion would be to have body type variance. Maybe it's because we've only seen, like, three characters or something, but they all seem to be fit and muscular-- while that's perfectly okay, alternate body types are never bad either.

These are all awesome and I still hate you for it.
;-;

My only real suggestion would be to have body type variance. Maybe it's because we've only seen, like, three characters or something, but they all seem to be fit and muscular-- while that's perfectly okay, alternate body types are never bad either.

I think one time I did a drawing of a couple body types for practice because I was starting to worry about falling into samebody syndrome. I'll have to find that/do another one. >_> I think the villains have more body variance, maybe I'll do some of them.

In other news I've actually started, you know, storyboarding, so that's neat. That might go somewhere. Or it might just be another thing I fail to do for more than two hours before giving up. We shall see.

Well, these are all awesome and I love you for it.

Ya ever feel like drawing for TDC again, the offer's still there.

In response to feedback, I've made some reference sheets for different body types. They are for sure not entirely perfect, but it's a start. BUT FIRST, something more fun than that.

some_kinda_thing_or_something_by_taylorboykin-d826doc.png

body_types_pt_1_by_taylorboykin-d826dvz.png

body_types_pt_2_by_taylorboykin-d826e1m.png

body_types_pt_3_by_taylorboykin-d826ed5.png

executive_power_by_taylorboykin-d826eni.png

Although the skinny dude looked less skinny after all the clothes and such. =/

Also got a request/suggestion/whatever on dA to do some stuff with boxing attire on my characters, so I'll probably try that since it sounds fun.

Only one little thang because I was bored and stuff. Self Portraits are fun (even if people around you think you're an ego-maniac for drawing them >:I). Pen and Graphite with a touch of photoshop just to clean it up.

mindless_dawdling_by_taylorboykin-d88eukt.png

Okay so after many hours late when I should have been preparing for finals, I got a thing done. I was digging through some old stuff of mine, see, and found an old drawing that I'd done twice. I wanted to do it a third time because this is the modern world or something.

draw_it_again__by_taylorboykin-d893tvk.png

My intent was to imitate the original very closely, except for some changes where necessary. Sleeves on my character, for example. Changes of expression to make characters more unique (especially Kay, second from left), and giving Tosh a coin because who even knows why he's pointing in the original like wtf did I think he was gesturing to? Also changed to background to gray since it brought out the colors more. And Smith doesn't look so much like Smith in the Matrix any more because originality is better, says I. Still mostly the same, though.

Also if you want to see it muchmuch bigger, you can take this link. It is quite large, in fact, and I don't think the smaller size above lets you see as much as I'd like. Mostly because I really like the eyes. It's worth it, trust me.

Too bad most of the people who created those characters are gone now. D: I should have liked for them to see how much more kickass they look now. Graham and Maggie were my favs, if the RP had ever taken off I'd have shipped the biscuits out of 'em

Last edited:
Aaaaay another post in the same day with only one drawing because I am a sillybilly

self_portrait_charcoal_by_taylorboykin-d897kh3.jpg

Not 100% accurate. The nose is rotated just the tiniest bit and the ear is off, mouth might not be long enough, but... I really like the way it turned out. It's accurate enough for me.

ahahahaha my lazy butt hasn't been posting anything lately so i brought one thing

and only one thing

BUT, I have started working on something. Feels good. Have a few sketches, but I gotta reinstall my scanner drivers for some reason. But yes, things might maybe possibly happen in the future.

guardian_s_power_by_taylorboykin-d8j4dtd.png

Also, holy mother of betelgeuse, guys, over 19,000 views on this thread couldn't help but notice that wow thank you. I don't even have a full page of 20 posts on this thing.

Holy crap. This is extremely impressive. The pose is really dynamic and the anatomy, whilst not perfect (his neck's a bit too long and his right shoulder is kind of low, as well as his thighs being too thick), is still really good. I love the angle and the vibrance of this image. It has a lot of personality and you got the face pretty spot on. Very good job.

Shooooot mighty kind of you to say.

My scanner works again, though, so that's nice. I have a few sketches but I wanna keep some of them under wraps for now till I've got something more cohesive. So here's a Ninja Sex Party thing I did a week or so ago cause I was bored.

ninja_sex_party_sketch_by_taylorboykin-d8jgqd9.png

Anyway, I'll keep doing my thing. Maybe next time I post, I'll have some actual legit news.

Heyo

so like I'm still working on a thing and it might possibly get actually going soon. Have pretty much all the preliminary thought and development and such done. Just dunno how to go about the beginning, visually. I know what I want going on, just not how to execute it.

Anyway. Meantime. I couldn't sleep. Decided to pick up my charcoals again. Since I have nobody who wants to sit still for me or anything, just did a self portrait again. Didn't wanna post it. But I'm doing it anyway. Right when I threw it up on dA, saw another charcoal next to it that was far more advanced and complex. made me less proud of stuff i've done. So yay. Immediate regrets ftw.

ANYBUTTS. I look older for. Reasons. I dunno how it happened. Got lazy at parts. But. I did it cause I couldn't sleep, not for enjoyment. Tried to look less. Grumpy. Than my last one.

couldn_t_sleep__drew_a_thing__by_taylorboykin-d8xkakd.png

I have a lot of periods in this post wow what is this i should stop typing so weird but naaaaaaah

Also photos frustrate me because it looks so much flatter in the photo than it does irl and i'm angry now

Back
Top Bottom