• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

Reverse Mafia

Superbird

Fire emblem is great
The spirits, good and bad (you decide which) are locked in a battle. On one side, the Ghosts, who wish to be free again to return to the underworld and do whatever it is they do down there. On the other side, the Angels, who aim to bring glory and humanity to the Ghosts. Who will win? We will find out, in
REVERSE MAFIA

I will restate the guidelines:
  • There are two factions: The Ghosts (innocents) and the Angels (Mafia)
  • Each night, the Angels must collectively kill one ghost
  • When killed, Ghosts turn into Humans. They can no longer perform night actions, but they can still post in the thread.
  • Every day phase, all the present humans, and only the humans, can vote on one spirit to have a priest exorcise (in essence, lynching that player)
  • When killed, Angels will not be reincarnated as humans – rather, they will be sent back to heaven. They can continue to communicate amongst each other, but may not post in the thread.
  • The Angels win when they outnumber the remaining ghosts
  • The Ghosts win when the Angels are dead

Your alignments and night actions have been sent out. The phrasing of the actions indicates whether or not they are optional - "Must" means the night action is not optional, and will be randomized if not turned in by the end of the night. "May" means that the action is optional and you can choose not to use it if you'd like, and if not turned in by the end of the night, it will not be used. However, if you have an optional action, please notify me if you decide not to use it during a night.

The night will last 72 hours.

The first morning, all of the ghosts convene. They know there are Angels afoot, and they know that they must find some way to stop them. One by one, they show up, until there are nine of them.

The other three are nowhere to be found.

...That is, until three humans walk into the room, two of them avidly discussing with each other how weird it feels to be a human again and the other trying to conceal a few tears as she walks by herself behind them. The ghosts all notice, too, that the crying ghost looks different from the others. She seems to have an aura of some sort, a projected holiness that everyone subconsciously recognizes.

It takes a little while for all of the ghosts to figure out who is who, and then the discussion begins. The first inquiry is why the third human is crying.

"I'm not sure," she answers. "It feels like I've lost something...but I saw the light, and it was so beautiful..."

The other two humans glance confusedly at each other, and a murmur spreads among the ghosts, and there is silence for a few moments. Then, someone speaks up, and discussion begins.

Mai has been turned into a Human. They were aligned with the Ghosts.
Wargle has been turned into a Human. She was aligned with the Ghosts.
Phantom has been turned into a Human. She was aligned with the Angels.

The day will last 48 hours (give or take a few)

Interesting!

I'm guessing we have at least one vigilante around, considering all the deaths - and specifically Phantom's. (Other possibilities include fishing brother, paranoid gun owner, etc...) Considering how ghosts can still talk when they're killed, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me to go forward with this.

Anyone have anything to report?

I think it sounds like Phantom was Angel-aligned, but not an Angel herself. Like a Spy or Terrorist, in a normal Mafia game.

Since y'all are alive now, and can speak, what were your roles?

this game has no right to be confusing lmao. so we can all talk to each other regardless of ghost or human status, but only the Humans can actually vote? Do I have this right?

for a while I had the impression only the human players could even talk in the thread

which is... clearly not the case idk how I managed to get that but yeah, I think only humans can vote

So the most likely possibility for Phantom's "death" is probably an angel-into-humanifier who makes the angels "see the light"?? That would be a pretty good way to balance the game. I don't have any info or other theories (except probably the Angels were responsible for one death and a passive ability was responsible for the other, because a vig would have no reason to target n0 unless their action was a "must" which is kinda bastardy), but all the living people being dead flavor-wise is gonna get confusing really quick.

that triple-n1 death. that's a thing.

WELL THEN.

also let's talk Phantom. Since Angels aren't turned human upon "death", yet Phantom is human, that denotes a couple possibilities:

1: That Phantom wasn't an Angel, but only Angel-aligned. Like, a ghost that saw some sort of profit in being angel-aligned. Like the opposite of a miller, whatever the term for that is.
2: Going off of that, Variable Alignment. And Phantom aligned Angel.
or 3, my favorite theory: CULT-ESQUE INDUCTION. (why is that my favorite? I couldn't tell you. Something about the idea of angels doing cult-like brainwashing techniques is infinitely amusing to me.

Hmmm. I was also under the impression that only the "dead" players could talk. Eh, time to get in the ring then.

If anyone's counting on Phantom being cooperative and/or forthright with information about scum, let's not forget that most non-self-aligned scum are very much capable of winning whilst dead. As a matter of fact, we basically have three possibilities:
a) Phantom is truly aligned with the mafia and, in that case, has no reason to cooperate with the day discussion in any way, aside from maybe taking a shot at confusing us with the remaining possibilitites;
b) Phantom is self-aligned scum that flips mafia in death; in that case, it's likely that Phantom can no longer fulfill her win condition. This would be the infamous Kingmaker Scenario, in which a player who can no longer win remains within the game, with no particular aim to turn their actions towards. In that case, Phantom would have no reason to cooperate and no reason not to, and this is exactly why GMs strive to avoid this kind of thing happening;
c) Phantom is innocent and flips mafia upon dying and, in that case, will most likely be willing to clear things up and cooperate, although she won't have much in the way of useful information.

This is, of course, barring alignment conversions (and I'd be a little surprised to be running into them this early in the game, particularly being that Phantom probably isn't big enough a target to be hit with a conversion and a kill on N0) or some blindsiding additional possibility that I can't really account for at the moment (although I don't mean to disregard that possibility completely).

I'm very much pending towards possibility c) at the moment; Superbird hasn't to my knowledge done particularly out of left field kinds of roles in his games, and miller is a pretty expectable role (although normally they don't make innacurate flips even in death, but either Superbird doesn't know that, or Superbird figured that for this particular game it wouldn't be as much of a problem). Of course, it would also be tremendously easy for Phantom to pretend c) to be the case if she actually has something to hide from us. So I'd take that possibility, but warily.

Someone refresh my memory on what a miller does specifically? I haven't played Mafia in far too long >.e

Anyway yeah I'd say that if Phantom's loyalties are truly with the Angels, then she'll be wanting to get rid of all Ghosts and therefore a vote from Phantom is basically someone who is not an Angel... unless she doesn't know who the Angels are, as the weird death information might suggest. I dunno. It's too early in the game and there's not enough role information to come to an informed conclusion. @_@

I am...well was a vengeful ghost, and someone is getting blocked by me tonight. But I had to choose them last night, so I obv won't say who :p

guys flora talked. Something's going on here

So uh... I don't like the amount of responsibility sudeenly dropped on me now. idk what to do guys halp input pls

I am...well was a vengeful ghost, and someone is getting blocked by me tonight. But I had to choose them last night, so I obv won't say who :p

guys flora talked. Something's going on here

So uh... I don't like the amount of responsibility sudeenly dropped on me now. idk what to do guys halp input pls

So, you're a sort of... delayed roleblocker? Cool.

Back
Top Bottom