• Welcome to The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where the smallest bugs live alongside the strongest dragons.

Guests are not able to post messages or even read certain areas of the forums. Now, that's boring, don't you think? Registration, on the other hand, is simple, completely free of charge, and does not require you to give out any personal information at all. As soon as you register, you can take part in some of the happy fun things at the forums such as posting messages, voting in polls, sending private messages to people and being told that this is where we drink tea and eat cod.

Of course I'm not forcing you to do anything if you don't want to, but seriously, what have you got to lose? Five seconds of your life?

[15] Zhorken vs Meursault (ref: pathos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M&F

tikitok
Pronoun
any
1 vs 1
DQ: 3 days
Damage Cap: 35%
Banned/Restricted Moves: OHKOs, direct healing, Pain Split, moves that KO the user; Chills are restricted to 3 uses in the match
Arena: Centrico Plaza

Centrico Plaza is the crown jewel resting in the core of Lumiose City. Just the Prism Tower, standing at the very center of it, is already one of the most widely recognized landmarks of the entire region; and even the rest of the location isn't too shabby, with verdant gardens, beautifully patterned cobblestone pathes, the sound of the river running underneath the floor, and a surrounding circle of mid-height Kalosian houses, the splendorous local arquitecture adorning the plaza as a foil. Many businesses have come into being at the ground floors of the area, but today, the world-famous roundway of egg hatching is all Asber's, with barriers sealing off all of the many roads leading into the city's very own hub -- and of course, curious crowds gathering at the edges to watch the competition.

For this round of the tournament, each player has been loaned a fresh Pokémon from Kalos. Battles in this round will not last longer than five rounds; if neither Pokémon has fainted by the end of the fifth round, the winning trainer will be the one with the greatest sum of health and energy remaining on their Pokémon.

Zhorken's rental Pokémon

amaura male Amaura <Refrigerate> @ Oran Berry

Meursault's rental Pokémon

pumpkaboo male Average Pumpkaboo <Frisk> @ Oran Berry

Up next:
1.Zhorken issues commands
2.Meursault issues commands

Ideally we'll go with Safeguard, Light Screen, and Hyper Beam.

If you've already got a status condition before Safeguard happens, use Encore instead. If he changes your ability to Insomnia with Worry Seed at any point, Encore it. When it's Hyper Beam time, if he's got Double Team clones, he's Protecting, or you don't have Refrigerate anymore, use Sandstorm.

Safeguard/Encore ~ Light Screen/Encore ~ Hyper Beam/Encore/Sandstorm

EDIT: It just occurred to me that I probably have to specify this *now*, so that's a single-action Hyper Beam for extra energy.

Last edited:
Energy Ball, then Double Team - just two clones for now, nothing special. Finally, I want you to wait for Amaura to attack; he should Sandstorm, in which case I want you to change the weather to Sun immediately. If for some reason he uses Hyper Beam instead, Spite that.

Energy Ball ~ Double Team (2 clones) ~ Sunny Day/Spite

Centrico Plaza

Centrico Plaza is the crown jewel resting in the core of Lumiose City. Just the Prism Tower, standing at the very center of it, is already one of the most widely recognized landmarks of the entire region; and even the rest of the location isn't too shabby, with verdant gardens, beautifully patterned cobblestone pathes, the sound of the river running underneath the floor, and a surrounding circle of mid-height Kalosian houses, the splendorous local arquitecture adorning the plaza as a foil. Many businesses have come into being at the ground floors of the area, but today, the world-famous roundway of egg hatching is all Asber's, with barriers sealing off all of the many roads leading into the city's very own hub -- and of course, curious crowds gathering at the edges to watch the competition.

For this round of the tournament, each player has been loaned a fresh Pokémon from Kalos. Battles in this round will not last longer than five rounds; if neither Pokémon has fainted by the end of the fifth round, the winning trainer will be the one with the greatest sum of health and energy remaining on their Pokémon.​

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate>
Health: 100%
Energy: 100%
- ‘Kinda hot innit?’

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
(m) <frisk>
Energy: 100%
- ‘c:’​

Pumpkaboo and amaura twitter tiny greetings at each other, hopeful to make this a quick and friendly battle - their first, after all, and they know each other as well as their new trainers. This entire thing is new to them, but it should all go well, right?

Eager to make sure of it, amaura closes his eyes for a moment, gathering up the energy for a thin green veil. When he opens them, the shield is there, barely visible reflecting in the bright sunlight. He smiles gently with a bit of pride …

… and WHAM - something strikes him on the side, bowls him over in his shock. He struggles quickly back to his feet; green energy is sliding off of him where it hit, and a tiny sore - a bruise - remains. He nibbles at his hide, trying to cover the wound somehow. Across from him, pumpkaboo grins madly. This battling thing is fun!

Fully amped, pumpkaboo bounces up and forwards, not the best mover around… It takes him a while to get any speed up, but eventually he’s bouncing with some gusto, enough for a small blur of green and orange to flicker behind him. The blur splits as he keeps bouncing, forming into identical twin pumpkaboos, and as he finally halts, there are now three of them, chittering at each other eagerly.

Amaura takes little notice. He’s still hoping to keep his guard up, especailly after that attack; maybe this’ll help prevent any more like that. Closing his eyes again, he draws up another shield, this one a gentle blue, a bit more solid than the last. He opens his eyes again, more confident than before, with two screens to protect him.

Now he finally eyes the clones pumpkaboo made, and reflects on his trainers commands. A bit more protection… alright… He looks about, drawing out the wind, the dirt, little bits of pavement and grit and gravel - anything, everything gets tugged up, pulled into the sky as the air shrieks to life. Though there’s little actual dirt or sand, there seems to be much of everything else - blades of grass, water, food pulled from children’s hands, balloons, all flying through the air at tumultuous speeds, whipping into the pokemon and people alike.

Pumpkaboo’s clones last only seconds before being struck by something - a passing snowcone, someone’s lost shoe - and though pumpkaboo seems a bit forlorn at their loss, he squints his eyes and looks skyward for some remorse. Mumbling something under his breath, he begs, prays - and the wind answers, slowing down, soon stopping entirely; the clouds part and a ray of sun shines down on him. Soon the single beam is joined by others, the clouds spreading and dispersing entirely to reveal the sun in all its harshness - strong, beating, overwhelming in its heat. Amaura begins to sweat beads of perspiration; why’d the wind have to go so soon…​

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate>
Health: 84%
Energy: 91%
- ‘Now it’s definitely hot.’ Has a safeguard (2 more actions), light screen (3 more actions), -1 sp def.

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
(m) <frisk>
Energy: 89%
- ‘Bit hot for me too, actually…’

Arena Notes:
The sun is shining brightly (8 more actions).

Final Notes:
  • The speed difference between average pumpkaboo and amaura is so small that it’s negligeble, so whoever goes first is randomized. Pumpkaboo got lucky and went first all actions though.
  • Energy ball also lowered sp def… very lucky rolls…
  • Rounds left: 4.
  • Meursault next.

This round reminds me: you need a name, Pumpkaboo! How about Posadas? Yeah, that works great.

Okay Posadas, this "marginal speed difference" crap is, well, crap. I don't like it. I want consistency, darnit! So lets make our speed advantage a little more meaningful with a Flame Charge. But if they manage to outspeed you that first action and aren't Protecting, I want you to Worry Seed instead. If they protect, throw up a 15% Substitute.

After that, Bullet Seed if you Flame Charged last action and Flame Charge if you didn't. Again, Sub if Protect is up.

Finish off with another Bullet Seed, Flame Charging if you're still being outsped. Chill if he protects.

Flame Charge/Worry Seed/Substitute (15%) ~ Bullet Seed/Flame Charge/Substitute (15%) ~ Bullet Seed/Flame Charge/Chill

I'd give you a nickname too Amaura but I don't think we're going to have too much time to get attached!

Drop Safeguard and Light Screen, if you can do so without using an action or anything, and then use Hyper Beam ~ Protect ~ Encore. Make absolutely sure to go second for Hyper Beam and Encore.

Centrico Plaza

For this round of the tournament, each player has been loaned a fresh Pokémon from Kalos. Battles in this round will not last longer than five rounds; if neither Pokémon has fainted by the end of the fifth round, the winning trainer will be the one with the greatest sum of health and energy remaining on their Pokémon.​

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate>
Health: 84%
Energy: 91%
- ‘Now it’s definitely hot.’ Has a safeguard (2 more actions), light screen (3 more actions), -1 sp def.

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
Posadas (m) <frisk>
Energy: 89%
- ‘Bit hot for me too, actually…’​

Bouncing eagerly in place, a bright shimmer begins to spread around Posadas, and quite suddenly the pumpkin bursts into flames. As if it were no big deal, Posadas pushes himself towards amaura, speeding up his bouncing as the flame around him grows, hotter and hotter with his increasing speed - and he slams sideways into amaura, the flames fading into the dinosaurs rocky side. Amaura snorts and stomps with frustration; not heavily injured, but definitely displeased.

A fading glitter is all that signals his screens disappearance while he turns his focus elsewhere - all his concentration, in fact, forming onto a tiny crystal orb, growing and growing before his open mouth. It grows so large he can’t contain it any longer, and explodes outwards towards the nearby Posadas, a concussion of light and ice that shocks the pumpkin sideways and several feet back on the pavement - so much brute force, it actually takes a while before the pumpkaboo can get his feet back under him, his eyes watering from pain. Amaura is panting from the effort, but a small grin spreads across his face - that was nice.

Still tired, he lifts his head up and brings with it another shield, this one clearly visible as a blue barrier around him. Posada rolls his eyes at the cowardice and sits down; might as well make use of the time he's got. He coughs a bit, hacking up some phlegm and bits of leaves he had stored in his stomach for just such a use, and piles it up, shaping it into something unrecognizable. Some more spit, bits of seeds and more leaves, and more shaping and patting, and it grows into something a bit more obvious - a tiny, misshapen pumpkaboo. Satisfied, Posada smacks the miniature, and it jumps to life, twitching beside its maker, ready to protect it from any harm.

Posadas grins, now that the protect is gone - the field is wide open! His cheeks blow up, like a hamster that’s stuffed its pouches full, then slaps them with his tiny hands, and a torrent of tiny bulletshots shoot outwards towards amaura’s thick hide. Though tiny, each one hits hard, and amaura yelps whenever one hits, trying to dance his heavy hooves to dodge them - but Posada’s accuracy is spot on. More hit than miss, until his cheek pouches run out, and he gives them one last smack - nope. Emtpy. Amaura lowers his head and glares at the pumpkin with sullen fury. He has to encore that?

Uhg… He closes his eyes, and when he opens them, they’re all gob-smacked with amazement at what he’d just seen. How beautiful, such tiny green beads of passion Posadas manages to create, and all for him! Surely, he must make more - more seeds! More seeds for everyone to enjoy! Posadas blushes and tries to cover his face; oh, he can’t handle this flattery, it’s too much for him. He didn’t expect that at all! Oh, he has to please his crowd… more bullet seeds, yes, more bullet seeds! If they must have it, he’ll provide!​

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate>
Health: 59%
Energy: 75%
- ‘Tiny demon pumpkin.’ -1 sp def.

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
(m) <frisk>
Health: 58%
Energy: 78%
- ‘They love me, they really love me!’ Bullet Seed encored (3 more actions), +1 speed.
- Substitute: 15%

Arena Notes:
The sun is shining brightly (5 more actions).

Final Notes:
  • Bullet seed hit 5 times.
  • Rounds left: 3.
  • Zhorken next.

Last edited:
The protect condition for the second action was Substitute, not chill.

Oops my fault for reffing with a headache :c Will edit in a min...

EDIT: fixed.

Last edited:
You forgot to take off the health that went into the Substitute. :P Also, could you post your calcs, if you don't mind my asking...? I'm a little confused about some of those numbers.

Anyway!

Alright — [whispers to Amaura so Pumpkaboo can't hear] — our hands are a little tied here since we need to keep up the act.

Start with Double Team. Tell Pumpkaboo you just want to get a good view of his performance from all angles! Ooh, and ask if he can take out a different clone with each seed, because that would be so cool.

Take out the Sub with Ice Beam — but be sure to make it clear that it would have been in the way of the finale! Pumpkaboo doesn't need a Substitute stealing the spotlight from the real thing!

Then use another frickin Hyper Beam but make sure he gets his finale in first.

Double Team ~ Ice Beam ~ Hyper Beam

Last edited:
our hands are also majorly tied, but no matter, we can work within this act! continue the bullet seeding, but do it while spinning in a circle! once Amaura sets up his clones, fire your seeds in a line so they hit as many targets as you can, and stop once you've hit the real thing. If you for some reason stop being Encored early, Worry Seed then Solar Beam.

Bullet Seed/Worry Seed ~ Bullet Seed/Worry Seed/Solar Beam x2

Ah, right >_> I'll have to post calcs later, I don't save 'em (probably should...) so I'll have to recalc everything... but is there something specific you find odd??

Also Zhorken, please do the attack ~ attack ~ attack at the end of your post. :c

Oh! Fixed, sorry.

It was mostly our health I was thinking of, but I forgot our Oran Berries are about to kick in so I guess my plan's the same either way after all. Just figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Centrico Plaza

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate> @oran berry
Health: 59%
- ‘Tiny demon pumpkin.’ -1 sp def.

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
Posadas (m) <frisk> @oran berry
Health: 56%
Energy: 78%
- ‘They love me, they really love me!’ Bullet Seed encored (3 more actions), +1 speed.
- Substitute: 15%​

Still eager to show off his bullet seeds, Posadas gathered up some more from his stomach and spit them all out towards amaura. The dinosaurs eyes widened and he tried to flee, but they were too fast, pinging hard against his rocky shell, each hit like a solid punch. The pumpkin’s accuracy was spot-on; all of the seedlings seemed to hit their target, too amaura’s dismay, one even smacking hard into his icy crystals and leaving a shattering crack. He cried out at that one - it hurt bad. But it was the last one, thankfully, and he panted with relief.

Hopeful to avoid any more, he picked up a bit of speed, running heavily around the plaza. His hooves smacked hard with each step, shaking the cement below him, until his speed rose enough that he was barely touching the ground, an icy white blur dashing circles around the pumpkaboo - and he skidded to a stop, four amaura standing behind him. Posadas blinked, a bit dismayed. Who does he target now?

Perhaps this is a challenge, a way to show his bullet seed abilities even further. Alright - he’s up to it! He gathered more seeds and spit them out wide, aiming at all the clones. Spread thin, the bullets ripped through their targets, who disappeared with each hit - one, two, three - until smack, one hit something solid. Amaura cried with shock, but it was just one. No more seeds followed suit. Looking around, amaura realized he’d let his focus slip, and his clones had all faded. He lowered his head a bit in shame.

Oh well - he’d just have to make up for it. He took a brave step forward, ice crystals forming on his hide, his neck, centering around his mouth - forming into a tiny orb, similar to the one he’d built before, but a bit smaller. This one was much easier to maintain control of, and he unleashed it in a few tiny beams, criss-crossing their way towards Posadas - but at the last second, his substitute jumped in the way. The beams encased the miniature completely, and as it fell to the pavement, it crumbled into a thousand tiny shards. Posadas yelped and bounced back - his baby! Oh, his poor baby…

He looked up at amaura now, wondering why, why?? Why did he do that! Hadn’t he liked the show? Didn’t he do good? Maybe he needed more… One last time, he thought, one more bullet seed, maybe? He spit the last of his seeds towards amaura, and the poor dinosaur cried under their assault; with no other choice, he grabbed and ate his oran berry for its tiny bit of relief. He felt its warmth wash over him as the seeds stopped coming, grateful to have that at least.

He rose to stare down Posadas again. He’d hold nothing back now. Mouth open, another orb grew before him, unleashing towards the pumpkin, who now had nothing to shield him. It struck true, ice forming across his side, pushing with overwhelming force - Posadas shrieked at the cold, the pain. He knew now it was all a trick; amaura didn’t appreciate him at all. When the ice was gone, he opened his eyes, full of betrayal, to stare at amaura; he’d never trust him again.​

Zhorken (O)
amaura
(m) <refrigerate>
Health: 29% (capped)
Energy: 56%
- ‘Stupid seeds ruined my clones. :c’ -1 sp def.

Meursault (O)
pumpkaboo
Posadas (m) <frisk>
Health: 32%
- ‘LIAR. >|’ +1 speed.

Arena Notes:
The sun is shining brightly (2 more actions).

Final Notes:
  • Apparently I forgot to note the oran berries before, but they were both consumed this round.
  • Bullet seed hit 5 times first action (one crit), one time second action, and 3 times third action.
  • Rounds left: 2.
  • Meursault next.

Last edited:
You have done me proud, Posadas! You have done me so, so proud with your seeds! But now, the reason I prepared the sun! Open up with a Solar Beam before he can Light Screen or change the weather on us. If they protect, Double Team for 3 clones. After you Solar Beam, Giga Drain for the KO and to prevent your fainting to residual damage in case they somehow get a Substitute in (solar beam should leave them too weak, but you never know!) But on the last action, if they have changed the weather to sand or have Light Screened, and aren't protecting, Seed Bomb instead.

Solar Beam/Double Team ~ Solar Beam/Giga Drain/Double Team ~ Giga Drain/Seed Bomb/Double Team

EDIT: Waaait shit. I just realized that thanks to the damage cap, the calcs I wanted you to redo matter after all. /o\ So like... at the risk of being That Guy, how was Hyper Beam doing 27%?

EDIT 2: Okay on second thought this is not worth it, I'll just put my commands back and go out shining:

Mirror Coat ~ Mirror Coat ~ Mirror Coat

EDIT 3: Bluuuuuh I'm talking about this with Meursault, and they say that a) they don't mind if I win thanks to a correction; b) they probably wouldn't've noticed Mirror Coat anyway. So I guess I'd like to ask about that number after all. The D&E Guide gets me 29%, and I'm trying to think of alternative calculations that would drop it to 27% but I can't see any... my best guess is that you just forgot the final flat +2% damage from Refrigerate?

Sorry for waffling about this. @_@ Anxiety and all.

Last edited:
Just poking in to say that if after corrections Posadas is under the damage cap, I'd like to re-issue commands. :x

Haha, yeah, fair enough. Me too, then, although I imagine my best strategy now that I've used up my Mirror Coat trump card will just be to leave everything up to the RNG gods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom